• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 nicecow

nicecow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hi I'm new to paintball and my friends are showing me around the sport. One thing they can never answere is whats the best $50-$70 mask. They can also never tell me the best $80-$100 tank,keep in mind Im a small guy. so i was hopping you guys could help. Thanks, Nicecow

Edited by nicecow, 05 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Best mask: one that fits, is comfortable, and doesn't fog.

I don't believe there are any new tank between $80-$100. So, if that's you price range you could get a nice used carbon fiber tank in about any size your heart desires.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 SuperShadow

SuperShadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

For small people (5'6 and shorter) the 48 or 50ci tanks are good.

For masks, you could get used i4s for $50-$70
MY SETUP: Geo 2.1, Dye Rotor,Ninja 68/4500
PMR FOR SALE
1/0/0

#4 iNicker

iNicker

Amazing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

i wouldnt get a used mask... but axis pros are great masks for 80. and proflexes for 60as for tanks, you will have to buy used to get a carbon fiber one in any size for around 100. maybe less if they have been hydro tested.

#5 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

Hi I'm new to paintball and my friends are showing me around the sport. One thing they can never answere is whats the best $50-$70 mask. They can also never tell me the best $80-$100 tank,keep in mind Im a small guy. so i was hopping you guys could help. Thanks, Nicecow

Almost universally, tanks are the same. As a matter of fact, all the paintball tank manufacturers do is buy the tank from another company, screw their regs in, and then resell them. Regs and customer service are what you spend extra money on. Personally, Ninja has proven themselves, and will be getting my money for the foreseeable future. Long story short, don't buy a crap brand, and you'll be fine.

As far as size goes, get what you're comfortable with. I wouldn't suggest going bigger than a 68/45 since you aren't a large guy. I'm 5'7" and would like my 68 to be about an inch or two longer, but meh. It's comfortable enough. Longer tanks also make it harder to switch hands. Keep that in mind.

Masks are largely personal preference. Go to a place you can try some on, and get the one you like. Sly Profits, Empire E-Flex, Dye i4. All of those are going to be about $100-$120, but they're commonly recommended and loved. Empire Vidar, JT Flex 8, and the JT Proflex are budget masks that get recommended often. Again, TRY THEM ON. (Though I did just realize, all those masks share a frame. lol)

I have the E-Flex and love them a lot. DONT skimp on the mask. I did and bought a $30 JT mask thinking it would be good enough. About halfway through the day I couldn't wait for the round to just end so I could take my mask off already. Don't be that guy.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#6 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

buy a used 45/4500 or 48/4500 for around $90 or so.

Then for the mask look into some JT Proflex's They are awesome masks for the price of around $60.

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Dont get a proflex, at least look into some grills for 80/90.
Tanks? Go used and get a carbon fiber one.
Hoppers? Also go used. You can get a used halo for 60 and under.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#8 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

You can also get Invert Too for like $70 BNIB from a retailer now.

and whats wrong with a Proflex? Besides the lack of ear protection they are good masks for the money

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

and whats wrong with a Proflex? Besides the lack of ear protection they are good masks for the money

Lack of ear protection and quick-change lenses. Don't get me wrong, I used the Proflex's for aroundish 2 years. I just hated both of those things. If I had more knowledge of choices, I would have purchased V-Force Grills. But I went with every tournament kid's advice and bought them because "They're pro masks!" Mind you, these are the very same kids who believe:
1. Barrels affect accuracy
2. Angels and Eclipse and Dye are the only guns
3. Ego's are given for free to pro's
4. Sponsorships = everything is free!

Edited by Orange Chicken, 05 May 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#10 nicecow

nicecow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

I would like something with descent protection and lots of comfort if that helps. I tried my friends e-flex and like them. But still l oohing for a tank and have a halo too coming in the mail.
😀

#11 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

45/4500 for $90

use the promotional code Spring10 to get ten bucks knocked off. The Tank is a tank, but the reg on the rank makes all the difference. This tank has a VERY good reg on it and it's in Hydro for another few years.

#12 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,066 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I agree, it also has a PRO reg on there.

#13 nicecow

nicecow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the link! 😜

#14 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

The Ear protection is so bad I took the proflex off my daughters head and moved her up to more expensive goggles. If you like Flex get the E-Flex your ears will thank you for it. My daughter got the Profits both are good. If you have a small enough head the I4s are nice as well. But I think you will regret skimping on your mask.

#15 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Profits feel like you stuck your head in the most comfortable Clam shell on the planet... I don't hate them, just feel like I'm getting smothered by a pillow.

#16 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Profits feel like you stuck your head in the most comfortable Clam shell on the planet... I don't hate them, just feel like I'm getting smothered by a pillow.

Hey I understand that is why I use the Eflex. I didn't feel I could breath great in the profits. My daughter on the other hand loves them and likes that she feels smothered by a pillow. That is why it is so important to try mask on to figure out what feels best on your head.

#17 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Event mod the proflexes, they fit me better than my eflexes.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#18 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

The Ear protection is so bad I took the proflex off my daughters head and moved her up to more expensive goggles. If you like Flex get the E-Flex your ears will thank you for it. My daughter got the Profits both are good. If you have a small enough head the I4s are nice as well. But I think you will regret skimping on your mask.

You can put Event and I3 ears on the Proflex, then the only thing different than the Eflex is the Lenses.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#19 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

You can put Event and I3 ears on the Proflex, then the only thing different than the Eflex is the Lenses.

You could if the store you were at sold the parts otherwise you have to wait for them to get ordered. That would suck buying goggles and having to wait to use them safely.(In my mind the stock ears are not safe) But once you add the 15 bucks that the Event ears cost you are almost at the E-Flex cost. Plus being able to quickly take your lens out I find nice when cleaning.

In the end as long as you are happy with your equipment that is all that matters.

#20 Toxin PB

Toxin PB

California Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

I have modded ears on my proflex, but I would recommend used grillz

#21 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

There is some unwarranted hate happening on the Proflex in here, man.

I love you.

#22 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

There is some unwarranted hate happening on the Proflex in here, man.

I don't hate them. But the stock Proflex's just are not safe in my opinion. It didn't even completely cover my daughters ear. What protection it has is paper thin. If you call it hate that is fine. I call it the facts of the weakness of the mask.

#23 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

True for the above. What really kills it for me are the lenses. If it isnt quick change lenses, it's going to bother me to no end.

#24 TEAM DYNASTY 11

TEAM DYNASTY 11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

i actually have a Proto EL Switch mask lol it was my first and i still ahve it however its just like a rental mask lol they are buly heavy and not comftorble the chin part goes down far so it often hits my 68/4500 tank when im holding the gun but i actually am getting a eflex for my b day this sunday so yea but i have heard the proflex is kick ass and i wanted some E-Vents a while ago and why not combine the 2?
<3 i love you Courtney <3
Subaru WRX STi, Golf R, GTI, Supra RZ, Celica GT, R32
"Really?....im out already? we just started!"

#25 Charles114

Charles114

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Get a new halo too in sale

Buy a used i4

Buy a used carbon fiber on ebay or techpb

What is your actually set up?

#26 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

What about a used superloader instead of a halo?
And used masks are gross, and what if the I4 doesnt fit?

#27 Croseven

Croseven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Loader and tank go used!

Mask - don't skip a cent on it! most important piece of equipement for a paintballer!
Just buy one that fits your head, some specs you may want to have...

- quick chenge lens
- thermal lens

Some examples of good masks:

Proto pro axis ($80)
Vforce profiler ($75) < single lens (meh!)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users