75 replies to this topic

#1 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

I don't know why there's so much hate for the MINI. Yea, the trigger's a little sloppy but this is a good gun at a good price if you're wanting to buy new like I did. I haven't had any malfunctions with it and the build quality is really nice, IMO. I considered going used but this comes with a lifetime warranty through the pro shop I bought it from. And being a new player like I am, maybe one day I'll have lost the weight and be fast on my feet and good enough at this to justify a better marker for a reason other than "It's shiny and I like it" but until then, I think this marker suits my needs just fine. I think people are too caught up in "For the same price, you can get a used Axe" and have gotten away from what the MINI is: something that occupies a market niche.

Your thoughts?

Supreme and terrible Ra who maketh god and men tremble before Thee
I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile

#2 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

There are better markers at that price bracket (new or used) that have better triggers and more features. The mini just doesn't compete in its price range any more, and it never will because it has been left in the dust after the introduction of the axe.

Edited by TotallyNotAKeeFanboy, 07 May 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#3 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,972 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Now you know what it's like to be a Dangerous Power fan.

OT - The Mini is a fine little gun. The engine is pretty good, but the shape of the gun itself, especially with that battery/board front grip just doesn't feel good to me.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 07 May 2013 - 02:25 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#4 asthmaticrhino

asthmaticrhino

Skyrockets in flight! Beeewwww

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

Its not that people hate the mini, as much as we like other things more

Protip. Buy a shovel. Dig and Pile REPEAT until desired effect is achieved. Builds upper body and character. Bitches love upper body and character.

#5 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

The mini is a great gun and blows everything in the price range out of the water.

Ohio Raiders 

#6 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I honestly liked the mini's trigger and stuff its great and feels good in my hands, but it needs to be bigger. maybe its because im big, or everyone feels like this, but that thing is tiny. however i saw the extenders for the board/battery thing and somewhat regretted trading my olive one off for my crossover

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#7 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

There are better markers at that price bracket (new or used) that have better triggers and more features. The mini just doesn't compete in its price range any more, and it never will because it has been left in the dust after the introduction of the axe.

And none of them have the form factor the Mini does, and few (none?) are macroless. Find another $200-300 marker that is macroless, compact, reliable, and moderately simple to maintain.

Its like this site has never heard of the word "niche". This isn't a marker for everyone, but to universally pan the Mini is doing a disservice to the gun. It is just a gun you HAVE to hold before you buy.

Edited by Dogg3, 07 May 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#8 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

The mini is a great gun and blows everything in the price range out of the water.

disagree. i like the G4 better by a long shot and the crossover is great, but i prefer the feel of the mini

#9 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

What's up with the Mini hate, whats up with the G5 hate, what's up with the *insert item here * hate. It's just that people have preferences, most people have them. Just because it's not yours doesnt mean everyone is wrong.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#10 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

What's up with the Mini hate, whats up with the G5 hate, what's up with the *insert item here * hate. It's just that people have preferences, most people have them. Just because it's not yours doesnt mean everyone is wrong.

There's a difference between "I don't like XYZ." and "The mini is a bad gun with a shitty trigger. Don't buy it."

#11 Manch Vegas Baller

Manch Vegas Baller

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

My pet peeve was with every new gen of mini they didn't point out the "upgrade" from the previous gen. People didn't notice the difference until they started pulling them apart and comparing the engines

Current set up
Gun:LE PDD Axe
Loader:V3 Rotor
Tank:Ninja 45/45
Axe FS/T: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=222591

#12 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

'Hey I bought X gun and don't like people hating on it.'

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#13 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

And none of them have the form factor the Mini does, and few (none?) are macroless. Find another $200-300 marker that is macroless, compact, reliable, and moderately simple to maintain.

Its like this site has never heard of the word "niche". This isn't a marker for everyone, but to universally pan the Mini is doing a disservice to the gun. It is just a gun you HAVE to hold before you buy.

Yes but there are guns in that range with an on/off ASA, which is ridiculous for the mini not to have. And for people that play semi having a decent trigger is a pretty big deal. If you're just going to ramp, the trigger on the mini is fine.

There's nothing really "wrong" about the mini, but it is just lacking against its competition. I wouldn't argue that having a gun that is at a disadvantage for semiautomatic play is a "niche" market.

#14 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

I have had one of just about everything. And for some reason I always go back to eteks and egos. Just good solid dependable guns. People on this forum hate then. I love them simple logic says to each his own.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#15 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have had one of just about everything. And for some reason I always go back to eteks and egos. Just good solid dependable guns. People on this forum hate then. I love them simple logic says to each his own.

There's always a group on every forum that hates the shit out of a particular gun. I've tumbled across pockets of people that can't stand the axe while the majority seem to like it. Just like you said, to each his own.

#16 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

There's a difference between "I don't like XYZ." and "The mini is a bad gun with a shitty trigger. Don't buy it."

G5 has crap efficency and may require some messing around with to get working, dont buy it.. The eXTCy is heavy and looks ugly, dont buy it.

Happy?

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#17 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,972 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

G5 has crap efficency and may require some messing around with to get working, dont buy it.

Can you provide examples of the efficiency and what you have to do to get it working?

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#18 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

G5 has crap efficency and may require some messing around with to get working, dont buy it.

Can you provide examples of the efficiency and what you have to do to get it working?

I'm joking, I'm just saying what I hear people say about other G guns since I'm not familiar with the G5 in particular. I actually like the G3 and G4 and wouldn't mind owning one. Same with an F8, FX, Threshold or Rev-i.

My Feedback +14/-0

#19 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,972 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm joking, I'm just saying what I hear people say about other G guns since I'm not familiar with the G5 in particular. I actually like the G3 and G4 and wouldn't mind owning one. Same with an F8, FX, Threshold or Rev-i.

I gotcha.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#20 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes but there are guns in that range with an on/off ASA, which is ridiculous for the mini not to have. And for people that play semi having a decent trigger is a pretty big deal. If you're just going to ramp, the trigger on the mini is fine.

There's nothing really "wrong" about the mini, but it is just lacking against its competition. I wouldn't argue that having a gun that is at a disadvantage for semiautomatic play is a "niche" market.

Again, I don't think you understand what niche means. Are there people that value compactness more than trigger responsiveness? Obviously, since there are a bunch of people that own Minis and love them, even after having used other markers with better triggers.

#21 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

'Hey I bought X gun and don't like people hating on it.'

It's not that I don't like people hating on it. I bought what I bought and I'm not gonna get rid of it because someone says it's shit. I was just trying to understand the seemingly disproportionate amount towards the MINI. I see the same thing about the DP guns, too. I almost bought a G5 but I liked the way the MINI felt when I handled it. I just don't quite get what SO bad about it. But I like my old ass Spyder Xtra, too so you may be right.

I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

#22 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

Again, I don't think you understand what niche means. Are there people that value compactness more than trigger responsiveness? Obviously, since there are a bunch of people that own Minis and love them, even after having used other markers with better triggers.

If someone really values compactness they would be better off buying a marker made during the time where the goal was to have a more compact marker. Autocockers are a prime example of this time. They were relatively small, and with things such as drop forwards everyone was trying to make them even smaller. But even with this small size they still had the basics of being a decent paintball gun such as a good trigger.

Buying into a niche doesn't have to mean putting oneself at a disadvantage.

#23 Sin_Ister611

Sin_Ister611

Dude with a gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

People hate the mini because most think they should be getting a lot more for their money. New price, sure there are better things on the market but used theyre dirt cheap and perform very very well for dirt cheap.

If it shoots 300fps, follows tournament rules, is easy to work on, and you like it that is all that matters. Everything else is just paying for shiny stuff. You really can't go wrong with a mini if you're not all about buying the latest "shiny" thing and with a phenominal customer support like kee in case you can't figure something out yourself, you're still gettinvmore than what you pay for.

#24 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

What other guns should I have looked at? Not being snide or anything, just really curious about options. I said in another post that I looked at a DP G5 and I believe it had an on/off ASA and no macro line and AVID had it for the same price as the MINI. The guy at the counter didn't recommend it, though. I've already decided that the next time I buy a gun, I'm asking for suggestions and then going to Google to read about features. I really probably should have done that before buying the MINI but I liked it so much, I just bought it.

Edited by Village Idiot, 07 May 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#25 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,972 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm not seeing how buying a Mini would put someone at a disadvantage.

Closer & Angel A1 F/S/T

#26 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm referring purely to the trigger in a semi play situation. I think it is less than ideal to walk, so it would be harder to snap shoot or hold a lane.

For any other play the mini is just fine.

#27 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

What other guns should I have looked at? Not being snide or anything, just really curious about options. I said in another post that I looked at a DP G5 and I believe it had an on/off ASA and no macro line and AVID had it for the same price as the MINI. The guy at the counter didn't recommend it, though. I've already decided that the next time I buy a gun, I'm asking for suggestions and then going to Google to read about features. I really probably should have done that before buying the MINI but I liked it so much, I just bought it.

the extcy and g5 both have an on/off and better triggers than the mini. The extcy does that at $75 cheaper new.

If the trigger doesn't bother you, then it's no reason to have buyers remorse. The on/off is more of a convenience and makes it more difficult to bust tank o-rings. Like I said, the mini isn't horrible. It just lacks a few things that competing guns in its price range have.

#28 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'm referring purely to the trigger in a semi play situation. I think it is less than ideal to walk, so it would be harder to snap shoot or hold a lane.

For any other play the mini is just fine.

I'm not a very good snap shooter, but I managed. I think that had I used the Mini for more than an hour I would be able to do better.

Edited by Dogg3, 07 May 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#29 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

the extcy and g5 both have an on/off and better triggers than the mini. The extcy does that at $75 cheaper new.

If the trigger doesn't bother you, then it's no reason to have buyers remorse. The on/off is more of a convenience and makes it more difficult to bust tank o-rings. Like I said, the mini isn't horrible. It just lacks a few things that competing guns in its price range have.

I don't have buyer's remorse. I still really like it. I was just trying to get what people were on about. I was thinking maybe quality control issues or early bugs in the gun. I know it's on V3 which means it's been around a while. Maybe they're about to release something new? Maybe a MINI V4 with w/ on/off ASA and a micro switch trigger but without increasing the size? Maybe they'll find a way to put the battery in the grip frame, still keep it macrolees and shrink the dront grip a bit to make more room for fingers? Iuno.

Edited by Village Idiot, 07 May 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#30 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

^ wouldn't count on it. The axe basically took over the mini's development efforts.

#31 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

^ wouldn't count on it. The axe basically took over the mini's development efforts.

Meh. Ya never know. I'm fairly certain my next gun isn't even gonna be an Empire so it doesn't matter quite that much.

#32 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Have you ever shot a proton?

Too short to run and gun with effectively unless your really short.

Edited by madsnipes, 07 May 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#33 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

It's not that we hate something because it itself is bad. It's just that there's better out there. Me personally, I just hate the trigger, and I dislike the lack of on off asa. But for most, it's not the best you can get for your money. Same with the G5.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#34 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

Have you ever shot a proton?

Too short to run and gun with effectively unless your really short.

The proton? That gun that leaks after half a case of paint?
I am a raccoon.

#35 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

I hate the mini and the axe so..... Yeah.

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#36 SynystrAssassin

SynystrAssassin

Flawless is a Habit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Because it sucks and I hated every waking moment having that gun.

#37 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

the mini is a good marker, for the used price it isn't that bad. heck all the minis I've owned have made me money rather than lose.

I'm testing an extcy in a competitive environment this Thursday, i already like the trigger.

but what i feel is holding back the minis in sales is the higher price, people would hate on them less if they were cheaper by like 50-100 dollars
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#38 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hey get.lit.up, the extcy works pretty great in tournaments and competitive environments. Recall that I do this, due to me not having much money to buy a higher end marker. It has pretty ok efficiency for a front dorito player, and it's pretty quiet as well.

Hey get.lit.up, the extcy works pretty great in tournaments and competitive environments. Recall that I do this, due to me not having much money to buy a higher end marker. It has pretty ok efficiency for a front dorito player, and it's pretty quiet as well.

#39 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've never seen a proton or even a mokal arua leak ever.
The issue with the aura was the board, which valken fixed. Personally i think its an amazing gun for the price.

#40 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

The issue with the aura was the board, which valken fixed. Personally i think its an amazing gun for the price.

It is a pretty nice gun. I would recommend it more if Axe's didn't keep on selling used for it's price. However, I've noticed the guys over on PBForums all recommend them to newer players as much as we recommend the eXTCy. I tried to help out a guy over there once, and all of them flamed me for liking Smart Parts' products.

#41 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

It is a pretty nice gun. I would recommend it more if Axe's didn't keep on selling used for it's price. However, I've noticed the guys over on PBForums all recommend them to newer players as much as we recommend the eXTCy. I tried to help out a guy over there once, and all of them flamed me for liking Smart Parts' products.

I can see where you guys are coming from, it's a nice shooting gun when it's working. It's just that every time I go to a field, someone is asking why their new proton is leaking.
I am a raccoon.

#42 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hey oc i can't wait to try what the hype is about
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#43 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

alot of people hate the trigger
109.gif

#44 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Everything about it is shit IMO.

#45 SAHeatpb

SAHeatpb

Yeah let's go with this

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

alot of people hate the trigger

Exactly, I hated it the most out of the whole gun. It's all wobbly and just feels like crap to me.

#46 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

dude, its an axe with an optical trigger and a smaller body, you cant recommend an axe and hate EVERYTHING about a mini.

#47 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

dude, its an axe with an optical trigger and a smaller body, you cant recommend an axe and hate EVERYTHING about a mini.

Lack of on/off asa, teenie ass body, terrible trigger. The stuff that matters, everything he hates.

#48 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Well deal with it I do.

#49 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

He's got a point, lol.

#50 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

So?

Empire fixed all the problems the Mini had with the Axe. I loathe the Mini and love the Axe.

dude, its an axe with an optical trigger and a smaller body, .

dude, its an axe with an optical trigger

Please get your facts straight, you just sound dumb saying this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users