26 replies to this topic

#1 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hey guys I came across a guy interested in trading my alien invasion plus cash for his ZR1. Do you think it's worth the trade?

For the people who don't know what the gats look like (even though you shouldn't be giving advice if you don't know that much)

Alien Invasion (Mine)
Posted Image

Zodiac ZR1
Posted Image

109.gif

#2 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Depends, how badly do you want to try it out.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Zodiac is pretty sketch consodering there were "counterfeit" markers. Something with the Spurlocks. You have a DM already don't you? Way more practical than a ZR-1.

#4 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

yeah, and IIRC the ZR1 is basically a quest internally, so if you want something that may or may not be counterfeit just buy a quest.

#5 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Zodiac is pretty sketch consodering there were "counterfeit" markers. Something with the Spurlocks. You have a DM already don't you? Way more practical than a ZR-1.

I had a pm8, but ow I have a pmr 07 an invasion, and an a1 fly being traded for a marq 7 and an ultra super rare oled pilot acs 07m thing is what I've been able to dig up on the gat is all good. Bad things are bad but are minimal, does anyone actually be enough experience with the gat to give me an idea of performance? I'd really appreciate it
109.gif

#6 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

If you get one you will probably have to keep it, no one wants them. The resale fell off the face of the earth faster than any gun I can think of.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#7 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

If you get one you will probably have to keep it, no one wants them. The resale fell off the face of the earth faster than any gun I can think of.

Im ok with that if it shoots nice
109.gif

#8 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

I would rather have the ZR1. Imagine being the only guy at your field with one. plus i have a feeling that in the future those will get REALLY expensive.

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#9 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

They will never gain value in my eyes.

When the marker was starting to get counterfeited Zodiac asked for those who paid for a ZR1 to check the SN, and if it was a counterfeit you had to return it with no money back or something like that.
That pissed a lot of people off, and and ZR1's on the BST didn't move for a while IIRC.

#10 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:49 AM

I would rather have the ZR1. Imagine being the only guy at your field with one. plus i have a feeling that in the future those will get REALLY expensive.

Doubtful. It halved in value within a few weeks of its release, and its not a particularly great gun according to what people who have used it say. It didn't do anything new or innovative, and its by a brand no one has ever heard of.

#11 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:07 AM

Doubtful. It halved in value within a few weeks of its release, and its not a particularly great gun according to what people who have used it say. It didn't do anything new or innovative, and its by a brand no one has ever heard of.

right. but in a few years they will be quite rare. whens the last time anyone saw a belsales cocker, westwood cocker, etc. at their local field. a karni/orry will smoke about any other cocker out there. so why do the westwoods sell for so much? because they were rare.

#12 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Tippmann C3's, SMG60's and Crosman 3357's are all extremely rare, yet you can get any of those for less than $200. Rarity doesn't always equal value.

#13 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

right. but in a few years they will be quite rare. whens the last time anyone saw a belsales cocker, westwood cocker, etc. at their local field. a karni/orry will smoke about any other cocker out there. so why do the westwoods sell for so much? because they were rare.

Rare does not always equate to valuable. They may be rare because they are not good guns, but it's really hard to tell which guns will become collectible and which ones won't.

#14 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Rare does not always equate to valuable. They may be rare because they are not good guns, but it's really hard to tell which guns will become collectible and which ones won't.

fair enough, i just feel the zodiacs will reach that point

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

They wont. They're nothing special.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#16 Filmer_jake

Filmer_jake

My Hero: Bobby Dukes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

The Invasion is rare enough as it is hahaha

DM12, 2011 Alien Independence, V3 Rotor, Empire 68/4500

#17 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,788 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

The ZR-1 is not even fucking CLOSE to the craftsmanship of those autocockers.

#18 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:00 PM

Zr1 is pretty smooth from what I've heard. Not to mention I like the barrel :P
109.gif

#19 acrewofone

acrewofone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Tippmann C3's, SMG60's and Crosman 3357's are all extremely rare, yet you can get any of those for less than $200. Rarity doesn't always equal value.

I can't help but mention this: The Crosman 3357 has actually over doubled in value, as it was available brand new in the mid 80s for $89.

(besides that, not a fair comparison of a 6 shot .50 caliber revolver against pump or semi-auto/full auto).

I'm just sayin......
Empire AXE / Invert Mini / Empire BT TM-15
Tiberius T8 / Crosman 3357 / Mark V50 Pistol

#20 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

I can't help but mention this: The Crosman 3357 has actually over doubled in value, as it was available brand new in the mid 80s for $89.

(besides that, not a fair comparison of a 6 shot .50 caliber revolver against pump or semi-auto/full auto).

I'm just sayin......

Inflation. If it were $90 then and its now selling for $200 or so, it hasn't gained any value, prices will have at-least doubled from when it came out in what, 86? I know where you are coming from though.

I'm pretty sure the SMG retailed originally for over $300 though, so that doesn't get the inflation seal of approval. Huge drop off in price if you think about it.

#21 acrewofone

acrewofone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm just sayin......

Inflation. If it were $90 then and its now selling for $200 or so, it hasn't gained any value, prices will have at-least doubled from when it came out in what, 86? I know where you are coming from though.

I'm pretty sure the SMG retailed originally for over $300 though, so that doesn't get the inflation seal of approval. Huge drop off in price if you think about it.

Ahh, good point. So we can say the 3357 has held it's value? While the other 2 examples have taken a major drop in value (yes, SMG60 was $349 new).
Empire AXE / Invert Mini / Empire BT TM-15
Tiberius T8 / Crosman 3357 / Mark V50 Pistol

#22 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Just keep the invasion.........SEXY!!!!

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

#23 Ringwraith

Ringwraith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Unlike the majority of people parroting a bunch of rumors, I actually have two (2) Zodiac ZR-1's. Before anyone discounts my opinion as a "fanboy" I have been playing since 1987 and am an admitted gun whore, so I like to think I have a pretty good knowledge of various markers for comparison purposes. That said, the ZR-1 is an AMAZING marker. The quality and fit is excellent, it has a HATER board that does everything you need, and the solenoid, eyes and board are all DYE UL components. For an off brand marker this was a HUGE point for me as this ensures that the touchy parts of an electro marker, like the board and eyes, will always be available even if not from Zodiac. It also has a flat faced bolt with pillow to prevent roll back (looks kinda like a pooty bolt) angled detents, and very few O-Rings. The bolt set up is similar to a Quest Gold bolt and snatch pin combo, since it was designed by the same guy Chris Cole. Many consider the Quest to be one the best spool valve markers every designed, hampered only by a sketchy WAS board. The suggestion that the marker has nothing innovative is equally false as its most innovative idea is an LPR built into the actually bolt, which is adjusted by turning the bolt cap and easy coversion to a macro line asa/reg setup. As to shooting it is super smooth on par with any Luxe, Vapor or BL spoolie and had extremely good efficiency for a spool, on par with many high end poppit markers. It is not as quiet as a DM but is still very very quiet. They are ball on ball accurate markers with almost zero kick and what little kick they do have, as all markers have some, goes directly back, not up, so there is no barrel rise. Also uses regular 9v battery so no worries about dead batteries. You can also use a normal reg and asa set up, rather than gas through if thats your preference  and both HP and LPR are easily servicable spring/piston set ups.Mine rountinely are +/1 2-3 fps over a 15-20 ball stream. Customer service, even for an essentially dormant company is actually excellent as the CEO Ken Hefferle will personally get on the phone with you to help fix any problems, routinely fixes markers for free and i can vouch that he is very generous with sending out free parts like oring sets, detents and replacement screw. 

The downside to the markers are these. No on-off ASA. This is not a big deal though because the markers need a med output 550 PSI'ish tank reg, so taking tank of or off is very very easy. You also shouldn't use a normal high pressure reg on your tank, which like a BL marker can be an additional expense. The HATER board is not OLED, its a standard trigger/flashy color LED set up. APE does make a UL OLED board for it, but it requires some minor modding to grip frame to install. They are also not the lightest markers out there but they aren't heavy by any means. I think they are a shade over 2lbs with barrel and battery. Also, as essentially an orphan marker, there aren't many upgrades or things to add. They do have fairly poor resale value as they started at 1100.00 and now sell for 950.00 new, but used ones in good shape can be bought easily for 400-500 dollars. The box the come in is very utilitarian but provides great protection. I do agree that there is a potential that these markers could gain a cult following as those who have them love them, and the could easily be a next Pikadoll or Viking kind of thing.

Now to clarify the rumors for as to counterfeit markers. There were none. Period. There are several threads on this on PBM between Chris Cole (who deisgned this and the Quest) and Mike Spurlock. What apparently happened was that Zodiac hired Machine Paintball to machine the bodies and components for the ZR-1 and the quality was so poor they were rejected by Zodiac. This apparenrly pissed off Machine PB who refused to return other proprietary parts and indicated that they would release thier own marker insinuating a ZR-1clone. THIS is what prompted the unfortunate rant by Chris Cole about seizing any fake Zodiacs and requiring all markers sent to them for registration. As you can imagine this freaked people out. Spurlock then later posted a long response saying that they we NOT going to clone any Zodiac markers but would be releasing thier own markers under a different name, which you all now know as the Vapor.

oh, here are pics of my babies:

847c914e-beb4-4c57-ad3d-b1fb0ef55255.jpg

f5f637ff-71ec-4efa-a21e-e243bac2d283.jpg

So......LOL.....all this said..the ZR-1 is an excellent marker, easy to maintain and shoot ropes with great efficiency. I would view it as a players marker, not a collectors marker, though they are pretty rare. If if like spool valve markers, you will like the ZR-1.  Does all that help?

Edited by Ringwraith, 27 June 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#24 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

They are ball on ball accurate markers Guns don't effect accuracy with almost zero kick not possible and what little kick they do have, as all markers have some, goes directly back, not up, so there is no barrel rise. Not possible as you are holding it lower than the place where force is exerted so there is always rotation.

#25 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Looks like a Shocker had a threeway with a Crossover and an Ultralite frame

#26 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

It's zero kick because of it's weight. The Zr1 is a quest, pretty much part for part.

If you really wanted a ZR1 after it's release, then just buy a quest. It's the same thing for a lesser price, and you're only sacrificing the macroless and oled design.

#27 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:32 AM

They are ball on ball accurate markers Guns don't effect accuracy with almost zero kick not possible and what little kick they do have, as all markers have some, goes directly back, not up, so there is no barrel rise. Not possible as you are holding it lower than the place where force is exerted so there is always rotation.

He's been playing since 87, old school Idea's yo. Let him believe what he would like. atleast on this thread 

Unlike the majority of people parroting a bunch of rumors, I actually have two (2) Zodiac ZR-1's. Before anyone discounts my opinion as a "fanboy" I have been playing since 1987 and am an admitted gun whore, so I like to think I have a pretty good knowledge of various markers for comparison purposes. That said, the ZR-1 is an AMAZING marker. The quality and fit is excellent, it has a HATER board that does everything you need, and the solenoid, eyes and board are all DYE UL components. For an off brand marker this was a HUGE point for me as this ensures that the touchy parts of an electro marker, like the board and eyes, will always be available even if not from Zodiac. It also has a flat faced bolt with pillow to prevent roll back (looks kinda like a pooty bolt) angled detents, and very few O-Rings. The bolt set up is similar to a Quest Gold bolt and snatch pin combo, since it was designed by the same guy Chris Cole. Many consider the Quest to be one the best spool valve markers every designed, hampered only by a sketchy WAS board. The suggestion that the marker has nothing innovative is equally false as its most innovative idea is an LPR built into the actually bolt, which is adjusted by turning the bolt cap and easy coversion to a macro line asa/reg setup. As to shooting it is super smooth on par with any Luxe, Vapor or BL spoolie and had extremely good efficiency for a spool, on par with many high end poppit markers. It is not as quiet as a DM but is still very very quiet. They are ball on ball accurate markers with almost zero kick and what little kick they do have, as all markers have some, goes directly back, not up, so there is no barrel rise. Also uses regular 9v battery so no worries about dead batteries. You can also use a normal reg and asa set up, rather than gas through if thats your preference  and both HP and LPR are easily servicable spring/piston set ups.Mine rountinely are +/1 2-3 fps over a 15-20 ball stream. Customer service, even for an essentially dormant company is actually excellent as the CEO Ken Hefferle will personally get on the phone with you to help fix any problems, routinely fixes markers for free and i can vouch that he is very generous with sending out free parts like oring sets, detents and replacement screw. 

The downside to the markers are these. No on-off ASA. This is not a big deal though because the markers need a med output 550 PSI'ish tank reg, so taking tank of or off is very very easy. You also shouldn't use a normal high pressure reg on your tank, which like a BL marker can be an additional expense. The HATER board is not OLED, its a standard trigger/flashy color LED set up. APE does make a UL OLED board for it, but it requires some minor modding to grip frame to install. They are also not the lightest markers out there but they aren't heavy by any means. I think they are a shade over 2lbs with barrel and battery. Also, as essentially an orphan marker, there aren't many upgrades or things to add. They do have fairly poor resale value as they started at 1100.00 and now sell for 950.00 new, but used ones in good shape can be bought easily for 400-500 dollars. The box the come in is very utilitarian but provides great protection. I do agree that there is a potential that these markers could gain a cult following as those who have them love them, and the could easily be a next Pikadoll or Viking kind of thing.

Now to clarify the rumors for as to counterfeit markers. There were none. Period. There are several threads on this on PBM between Chris Cole (who deisgned this and the Quest) and Mike Spurlock. What apparently happened was that Zodiac hired Machine Paintball to machine the bodies and components for the ZR-1 and the quality was so poor they were rejected by Zodiac. This apparenrly pissed off Machine PB who refused to return other proprietary parts and indicated that they would release thier own marker insinuating a ZR-1clone. THIS is what prompted the unfortunate rant by Chris Cole about seizing any fake Zodiacs and requiring all markers sent to them for registration. As you can imagine this freaked people out. Spurlock then later posted a long response saying that they we NOT going to clone any Zodiac markers but would be releasing thier own markers under a different name, which you all now know as the Vapor.

oh, here are pics of my babies:

847c914e-beb4-4c57-ad3d-b1fb0ef55255.jpg

f5f637ff-71ec-4efa-a21e-e243bac2d283.jpg

So......LOL.....all this said..the ZR-1 is an excellent marker, easy to maintain and shoot ropes with great efficiency. I would view it as a players marker, not a collectors marker, though they are pretty rare. If if like spool valve markers, you will like the ZR-1.  Does all that help?

If you could have posted this earlier it would've helped alot more man, although I do appreciate it! Thanks

109.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users