• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Potato

Potato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'll have around $800 for a new computer, so I already have a laptop that works pretty well, so keep that in mind.

Option 1. Buy a new windows 7 laptop, Nothing apple.

Option 2. Build a desktop, I don't have a large understanding of building computers, But I could do it.

Which one do you think? I'm 14 and using it for some school work and TF2.
And could you give me some suggestions on what to buy? Especially for the desktop build.

#2 Stix

Stix

TechPB Lurker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

If you're just playing TF2, and doing school work, you could spend 600 or 500 and still get a decent computer.
xfire-stix9693
Ps3 - SLYGATHOR (LittleBigPlanet, Burnout Paradise, Team Fortress2, Killzone 2)
Wii - 5318 0896 2208 0310
Steam - slygathore
Building a computer is like playing with Legos, the pieces only fit one way
Posted Image

#3 Steephill

Steephill

Dota 2 > Life itself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Seriously if TF2 is the most intensive game you play you get get away with a fairly cheap build.

My Feedback +14/-0

`kook 2/1/12 "The gold standard isn't what is most popular. By that logic, Justin Beiber is the gold standard of music."

#4 Sin_Ister611

Sin_Ister611

Dude with a gun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Do some research and definitely build over buy. With an $800 build limit you can easily get $1k-1,200 worth of performance.

Note: I am in no way a computer wiz, but I have sponged up quite a bit of info in a very short amount of time.

Ask around on some message boards and if you have a best buy around, their geek squad can give you really nice advice on what to look for compatibility.

Main things to look for are:
Making sure your motherboard will fit in the case
Motherboard - ram compatability DDR2,3,4 etc.
A good performing power source

If you're going to be playing TF2 and doing multiple things at once I suggest getting at least a dual core processor
I use the same I think it is 512MB video card in mine (same as the xbox 360 has) and I play TF2, Blacklight retribution, browser games, vindictus, etc. just fine with no issues
Hard drive shouldn't really matter anything over 4-500 GB, I got a 1Tb on sale for dirt cheap, same with my cd/dvd burner.

Brands I and a few of my friends that game are asus, pentium, asrock, and Gskill. Others will have different opinions and can go into much more detail.

Computers are a lot like a Bob Long Alias. There are millions of different possibilities. Getting familiar with them might take a bit, but when you do they can are amazing machines.

#5 TallThing

TallThing

Left Blank Unintentionally...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Computers are quite simple. All you really need to look for in compatibility is whether the motherboard fits the processor (look out for sockets on the specs, it should list the compatible processors), the ram works out (ddr3 is the most common anyways), and the heatsink fits the CPU.

A wonderful place for help is bleeping Computer (bleepingcomputer.com).

For lappy brands, I'd recommend Asus, Gateway, Lenovo, HP, and Acer. Don't buy Dell. Ever.
If life gives you melons... you may be dyslexic.

#6 Bunneh

Bunneh

Weekend Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm a computer nerd.

You probably dont need to use that much money for a computer for homework and team fortress 2. As a fellow kid your age I think building a computer would be a really good educational adventure for you. Back last year I created my own and it really is a fun experience. For your price range I would recommend something around this.

Any i3 processor
Any 1 TB hard drive sata 6/gbs
Any mobo that corresponds with your processor LGA
a gtx 550ti for medium gaming
A 80+ bronze power supply
8 GB ddr3 RAM

If you want to ever upgrade make sure you have space for a solid state drive as a boot drive for that extra speed.

If you want my specs, its much more expensive than what you're looking for, but it will last a good couple years.

#7 ¿PaintballExpert?

¿PaintballExpert?

Mormon Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

you could get a fairly cheap build that will still play TF2 at 60fps.

I would reccomend an AMD A-10-5800K processor. This would be because you can get 60 fps on the right settings, and you can have a good processor and good gfx card for 100 total
then you can get windows 7/8, a 500gb hdd, motherboard that fits your processor, 8gb of ram, any optical drive, any 80+ certified power supply, and a case that you like

this should easily be under 800.

Edited by ¿PaintballExpert?, 23 May 2013 - 03:54 PM.

Sig by Senior SL8R:
Posted Image

#8 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Even Intel's integrated graphics are good enough to keep TF2 happy. My laptop's integrated get the job done.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#9 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

http://secure.newegg...Number=19924571

I have the same exact GPU and CPU, I also use the 970 chipset on my motherboard. I run Far Cry 3 on Ultra. If you need a screen, you can just get 4GB of Ram.

#10 TallThing

TallThing

Left Blank Unintentionally...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:24 PM

Also, much better specs than on a comparable Windoze machine.

https://www.system76...ops/model/gazp9
If life gives you melons... you may be dyslexic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users