5 replies to this topic

#1 SIEFKA

SIEFKA

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hello there, yes once again I am back into paintball. Well I never left really. It was last October when it hit me that I could not get the T2 that I was hoping for just yet. So instead I was able to sell my Dangerous Power G3 and bought a CCI Phantom. What I have noticed is when I tried to get away from paintball since October was that I could not. More importantly I didn't want to get away. I love this sport and I have dreams of becoming great in this sport. I think about it when working out and it never seems to stay off my mind. But before I get there I have to take the small steps and really improve my game. I now I can become a great player I just need to get down to the solid facts and work on my game. Whether practicing around the house, to just reviewing old tactics.

One thing I have noticed about my game is that I get a certain fantasy in my head that says, "Oh you can become a great player, if you had your paintball marker this way." The last time I really played great the way I know I am capable I can remember twice. The first time was about in 2009. I was playing at my "home" field what used to be Chaos paintball. I had a Tippmann A-5 and I had the A-5 A2 kit from Special Ops on it. It had the stock on it, and it had a smooth horizontal grip it almost reminds me of a grip that you would see on a classic Thompson. I was very comfortable with this marker and I do not know what it was but I was able to make shots that I would even believe in making. Then I got this idea in my head that said, "hey let’s turn your marker into a MP5." So I did exactly just that. I put so much useless into my marker that it ended up being terrible. I remember going to a scenario at Excalibur paintball and I had way too many extra stuff on that marker that it was embarrassing literally. I remember everyone that day at the field was going over the safety rules and there was a giant group of them all together. I was busy fighting getting all my gear on with my vest, tank, remote line. I was the dude that had all the special ops camouflage on from head to toe. I go to walk up to hear the safety briefing when all the sudden my remote line spits off the end of my maker and starts literally whipping everywhere I cannot get to it, my friends dad behind me starts to unscrew the remote line from the tank, meanwhile a ref runs over rips my vest off and steps on it. The whole crowd looks back at me and man that had to have been the most embarrassing moment I have had so far in paintball.

The next time I remember playing great was the last time I played paintball it had to have been almost a year ago in June. The only marker I had was my CCI Phantom. I did ok with it when I had it in all stock class. But I did even better when I played modified stock class. I noticed that I was so worried about reloading and having so many thoughts in my head at once that it was messing with my game. I was not used to playing with 12 grams or stock class feed. I came to the realization that I should switch to the way I want to now. This will be the last upgrade. I am tired of buying a marker and instead of leaving it the exact perfect way that it is, I upgrade the heck out of it and it screws me up. I remember reading in one of my paintball magazines some advice that has held true to me and one that I will hold onto forever. The best upgrade is you. Buy field passes and paint and upgrade yourself and your game instead of useless upgrades or upgrades that you are not ready for yet.

Posted Image

This is my phantom as it is currently. I am not a fan of stock class and I am perfectly fine with that. The "upgrades" I have made to it is I had a Timmy detent inserted inside, an 8 inch barrel, under cocking kit, and 12 gram changer. When I originally got the marker it had everything on it except the 12 gram changer it was a little small co2 tank fed, and regular barrel. I have also bought a joyride pack.

Now are all of these things nice. Yes, yes they are but they are not me. I want a marker that I do not have to worry when to change the 12 gram, or when to put another tube in. I do love pump though! I was able to move very quickly and make moves other people could not. I was hoping to convert my phantom to open class for two reasons. The first to get my phantom the way I would want it to be finally and just enjoy paintball. The second reason is to eventually prepare me for when I have a CCM T2.

With that being said I really have to make a change in paintball, in my game and with my gear. I have found who I want to be as a player now I just have to get down to brass tacks. I am in the days of my life right now and I am enjoying each moment of it. I want to get the player I know I can become and I feel that a way that I can do that is just to get rid of a bunch of the gear that I do not use anymore and just focus on playing paintball and practicing rather than buying the next new item. I will be putting up this week all the gear that I do not use anymore, I feel almost overwhelmed when I open my closet.

After I practice and get comfortable with my marker and gear I will start playing paintball again. At the moment it is very hard for me to play paintball since my nearest field is about 2 hours away. I am planning on doing what Greg Hastings does or what I saw off of Facebook where he had a tour of duty. He had a certain paintball event each month and then had some time off. So he had a certain amount of events. I do have big games somewhat near me and so those are what I want to go to. I am glad I have gotten away from wanting the flashy gear and I want to focus on me as a player. The gear I use I love it because it suits me. I love wearing one of those old football practice jerseys. I know I can become a great player in this game. My relatives think that I am crazy but this is honestly what I want to do. I see players like LeBron James and I know I can reach that same level of greatness that he has except in paintball. It is a matter of how bad do you want to become successful and how bad do you want it? I want to become a legend in paintball.

Edited by SIEFKA, 01 June 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Posted Image

#2 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Wear a tiger stripe suit and get a 23 inch barrel, Be the next Youngblood.

About your marker, make it open class? You could BBA it and get a new body with a feedneck. I have also seen nice bottom-lined phantoms floating around out there.

If you want to be great and get known; do it. You have to be out there and you have to be recognizable though, you wont become well known for being an average player. Youngblood was known for shiny new toys and for wearing suits while playing. Fred Schultz was known for being the guy who got paintball into Disney World and for his tigerstripe Tux, he was also the captain of a well known team. The only problem is is that paintball fame doesn't last. I can name maybe 2 players that are somewhat recognizable by the general paintball populace.
What?! I'm all out of powdered toast?!

#3 SIEFKA

SIEFKA

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

The being known aspect I will worry about later. I will be putting up my stock class gear for sale as well as other paintball gear that I do not use so that I can clear some space away. I was wondering what exact parts that I would need for my phantom to switch it over to open class.

Edited by SIEFKA, 16 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

Posted Image

#4 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

put on a reducer, get some macro fitting and line, put on an asa, and a center feed clamping body, that is all that is required
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#5 Pyrate Jim

Pyrate Jim

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

I was wondering what exact parts that I would need for my phantom to switch it over to open class.

Only one part.
The mainbody which is available direct from CCI in Left, Right or Center OC feeds for less than $40.
What's nice is you can swap out mainbodies back & forth in only a few minutes (SC to OC & back) without swapping anything else.
Heck, I can do that without ever de-gassing the marker.

You already have an ASA in the vert position that will accept a tank, so you don't NEED that unless you want to change the air source location to a back-bottle or bottom-line.

For a bottom-line, you need a new ASA and fittings to run the air line from that to the valve.

Back-bottle would need a different valve body.

And paint that camelback grip black. That weird color totally destroys the look of the thing.
:rolleyes:
CT Co-ordinator ~ Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
Certified Master Airsmith
http://www.paintball-pti.com/

#6 The-Phantom

The-Phantom

Rock N' Cock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

http://www.airsoldie...Code=CCIPHANTOM

this alone won't work, but if you get a CCM feedneck (arguabley some of the best cf clamping feednecks in pump) then it works like a charm.

also if you want to do a really easy conversion from VA to a bottom line, check out this part (cci asa reducer)
http://www.airsoldie...Code=CCIPHANTOM

add what ever macro/fittings and ASA you please, and you've got your self an open class phantom that can ball with the best of um'!

f_oneshotm_05c6b49.jpg
Please feel free to private message me if you have a question about something I've posted!
If you show me an inch, I'll show you the dead-box.

-Brett

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users