Photo

Planet Eclipse Etha Vs. GoG Extcy

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Planet Eclipse Etha Vs. GoG Extcy (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Planet Eclipse Etha Or GoG Extcy

1. Planet Eclipse Etha (18 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Voted GoG Extcy (12 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 stlpaintballer

stlpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

I like the Etha, but is it worth the extra $150 over the Extcy? I only play recball, but want a good gun.

#2 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

The Etha is okay, but for the price, it's really not that good. Shot quality is terrible on it. I say either go with the eXTCy, which is a great gun, or, given that you have enough to get the Etha, look into a used Axe or mid end of your choice.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#3 iNicker

iNicker

Amazing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

yeah the etha really isnt worth it for the price. are you willing to buy used?

#4 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Used Etha > New Extcy

#5 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ehh I wouldn't even say that. Shot quality of the eXTCy> Etha. The rest of the stuff is *mostly* preference.

#6 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

I've used both markers. I'll take the Etha over the eXTCy any day except when we're talking about shot quality. The shot quality of the eXTCy obviously feels better than the Etha. For everything else the Etha beats the eXTCy.

Edited by crPaliza, 16 May 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

True that^
I hope in the next Etha they'll make it a pure spool or a pure poppet.

#8 Zephyr-_z

Zephyr-_z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Used Etha > New Extcy

AGREED

Zephyr-_Z.png

#9 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Etha is also going to be more durable and have much better Stock parts.

The Extra $150 is definitely there. Also, have you considered a Crossover?

#10 TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

TotallyNotAKeeFanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

How do you figure it to be more durable, and what stock parts of the etha provide an advantage to those of the extcy?

#11 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

Providing useless insights here since 2013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Extcy: pros: smoother shot, quieter, more efficient (I'm pretty sure anyway) , more modes on board,
cons: ion threads, heavier, plastic trigger, manual on cd.
I am a raccoon.

#12 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Extcy:
pros: smoother shot, quieter, more efficient (I'm pretty sure anyway) , more modes on board, better bolt mechanism, better board for recball.
Cons: ion threads, heavier, plastic trigger, manual on cd.
etha:
Pros: serviceable reg, easier to take apart, planet eclipse packaging, better feedneck, can make into emc, autococker threads.
Cons: poor shot quality, poor efficiency, weird sounding & feeling, stiff trigger.
Overall, I'd say go with the extcy. I find the regs equal, the Asa's equal, & the looks out of it. Why didn't I cover barrels? Sure the etha is a two piece, but it's also a .693 bore. In my eyes, the etha is just putting lipstick on a pig, with the pig being the poor bolt & valve design. The extcy is just flat out going to be more fun to play with.

Edited by Poopfairy35, 17 May 2013 - 08:14 PM.

I am a raccoon.

#13 Zephyr-_z

Zephyr-_z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:59 AM

Agreed ^^^ most people havent even have owned an etha and the talk all this bad stuff about it. smh

Zephyr-_Z.png

#14 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

The trigger on the Etha isn't stiff, Maybe out of the box, but it has 4 point adjustment. So adjust to your liking. The shot quality is weird because it's not a pure spool or poppet. It's like a hybrid of both. Efficiency is pretty average 7-9 pods. How it feels in the hands is all dependent on the person.
The Extcy and Etha both have the same bore size barrel, but the extcys is 2.5 inches shorter.

How is the bolt a poor design?

Another Pro for the Etha is Tool less bolt removal unlike the extcy.

Edited by Garribean, 18 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#15 stlpaintballer

stlpaintballer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks, I'm thinking of going' with the Etha.

#16 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

The extcy has a tooless disassembly as well. The Etha has a terrible shot quality. It's like a G5, excellent features, terrible shot quality.

#17 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

The extcy has a tooless disassembly as well. The Etha has a terrible shot quality. It's like a G5, excellent features, terrible shot quality.

Maybe I shot one that's had adjustments made/mods installed, but it's no worse than my extcy when the dwell is low.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#18 Poopfairy35

Poopfairy35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

The trigger on the Etha isn't stiff, Maybe out of the box, but it has 4 point adjustment. So adjust to your liking. The shot quality is weird because it's not a pure spool or poppet. It's like a hybrid of both. Efficiency is pretty average 7-9 pods. How it feels in the hands is all dependent on the person.
The Extcy and Etha both have the same bore size barrel, but the extcys is 2.5 inches shorter.

The trigger on the etha is very stiff, with or without the adjustment, considering that's the way with 5 etha's I've used or tried out. It's a poor bolt design because the marker is relatively loud & kicky. I personally don't like the etha. But that's just me.
I am a raccoon.

#19 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

No, you're not the only one. Everyone has had that opinion.

#20 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:16 AM

The trigger on the etha is very stiff, with or without the adjustment, considering that's the way with 5 etha's I've used or tried out. It's a poor bolt design because the marker is relatively loud & kicky. I personally don't like the etha. But that's just me.

Then the ethas you've tried the trigger is just junk. My etha trigger is just as easy to.pull as an 07 ego.

You're all just bagging on the etha way too hard. The shot quality isn't THAT bad as you all make it out to be. Granted its definitely not shot quality for a $400 but still. It's not terrible. It's not the best or very good, but not terrible. It's not so bad to the point where you'd want a new gun unless you really want a smooth shot.

Edited by Garribean, 19 May 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#21 Bill_B

Bill_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Kicky? Terrible shot quality? Terrible efficiency?

I haven't played with the extcy so I can't comment on it.

As for the Etha I own, I'm highly impressed. Shot very accurately out of the box and I didn't really feel any vibration or "pinging" sound. Measured myself out at 70 feet in my basement and each shot was ball on ball. Mine has about two cases through it so far and I feel like the return spring has soften up a bit which may be a good thing. So as far as "shot quality" goes, I'm beyond impressed.

I've borrowed someone's Pink/White Ego 11 mid speedball game one time because my loader went down. The recoil from that marker was there, but was it really all that noticeable while I play? No. My Etha does not kick more than an Ego 11. Maybe equal but in my opinion it felt slightly less. So when I play with my Etha, I never notice any recoil, "kick," or "barrel rise."

As for efficiency, if I can go two straight games on a hot 3000 fill on my 68/45 then I'm good. Most instances I carry 4 pods and a full hopper so give or take ~600 shots with air still left to shoot.

Maintenance is a complete joke with this marker. Everything is taken apart and put together by hand. My Allen keys rarely ever leave the box. The only time I need them is when I work on my Dangerous Power G3.

Is it worth $395? Hmm at this point it's a bit debatable. Maybe $349. In MY opinion does it surpass many other entry level markers? Absolutely. Most commonly the mini, G-series, rail (the rail is super nice though).

I haven't shot an extcy but I have heard that the reg is troublesome to service. Not sure if people are lazy about it or something. I have heard good things about it though but I will not be trading my Etha anytime soon.

EDIT: Forgot to say that a lot is this is opinion based. Best way to find out is to hold and shoot them both. Good luck though as I'm certain you'll be satisfied either way.

EDIT 2: just shot it to specifically look for anything abnormal. No ping, recoil was barely noticeable and it shot decently. I used some Draxxus basic training that's a year and a half old and pretty brittle. Dropped some from waist high and they cracked. Then shot on psp 12.5 with no problems.

Edited by Bill_B, 19 May 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#22 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:38 PM

It's kicky. Not uncontrolably so, but it's pretty kicky for the marker. Also, all markers are of the same accuracy.

#23 Bill_B

Bill_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

I know marker accuracy isn't a big thing in paintball guns and that paint quality is really the biggest factor and 285 fps is 285 fps.

You may find it kicky, but I shot it a while ago and I barely felt anything. Also shot my G3 for the hell of it lol. Maybe mine is a rare one that happens to be good. Also it's one from the first batch of Etha's.

#24 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

It's kicky. Not uncontrolably so, but it's pretty kicky for the marker. Also, all markers are of the same accuracy.

EVERY damn marker is kicky. It all depends on your definition of kicky. I'm seeing the same amount of barrel rise(Which is pretty much all the kick in paintball)from my axe with a boss bolt that I did with my etha. My axe isn't fully tuned, but people say that axes are smoother stock.

Maybe its because I notice every little thing when shooting a marker.

#25 Bill_B

Bill_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

EVERY damn marker is kicky. It all depends on your definition of kicky. I'm seeing the same amount of barrel rise(Which is pretty much all the kick in paintball)from my axe with a boss bolt that I did with my etha. My axe isn't fully tuned, but people say that axes are smoother stock.

Maybe its because I notice every little thing when shooting a marker.

I guess it's all a matter of physics always.

#26 crPaliza

crPaliza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

For the record... The Etha is definitely more efficient than the GoG eXTCy. I've had more then enough experience with both markers to know this.

#27 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

After actually using this last weekend and looking for this "kick" you all complain about, I found almost none. The gun has absolutely no barrel rise when actually shooting it. When you're looking at someone shoot it, you see barrel rise, but while you shoot it, it's not there.

The gun has more of a kick against your body than anything else. But it's extremely easy to control to the point where you don't notice it.

It wasn't just me either, I had 2 other people say the same thing about it.

#28 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

After actually using this last weekend and looking for this "kick" you all complain about, I found almost none. The gun has absolutely no barrel rise when actually shooting it. When you're looking at someone shoot it, you see barrel rise, but while you shoot it, it's not there.

The gun has more of a kick against your body than anything else. But it's extremely easy to control to the point where you don't notice it.

Same here.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#29 Zephyr-_z

Zephyr-_z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

Same here.

after 3500 + shots through the marker. the kick is almost none existent. plus that ping sound also goes away.

Edited by Zephyr-_z, 28 May 2013 - 02:39 PM.

Zephyr-_Z.png

#30 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

But it still isn't smooth.

#31 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Same here.

after 3500 + shots through the marker. the kick is almost none existent. plus that ping sound also goes away.

I have 30 cases plus on my Etha and it shoots almost exactly like the day I bought it. The only change came from lowering my pressures from underboring.

#32 Bill_B

Bill_B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

My Etha soften up after 3 cases. Love it. Ramping on PSP is a breeze. Nothing is noticeable when you're playing.

#33 Zephyr-_z

Zephyr-_z

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

My Etha soften up after 3 cases. Love it. Ramping on PSP is a breeze. Nothing is noticeable when you're playing.

Agreed

Zephyr-_Z.png

#34 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

eww and ewwer

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

#35 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

The Etha is fine if you don't compare it to any electros that shoot better. It gets the job done, just not too gracefully given the prce point new

#36 Garribean

Garribean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

The Etha is fine if you don't compare it to any electros that shoot better. It gets the job done, just not too gracefully given the prce point new

This. $400 not worth it.
Used $250, much better price bracket.
It's not smooth, buts its not 'kicky' either.

#37 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

For 250? I'd totally buy a blue etha because it can look vaguely like a geo, especially with a Disruptive barrel to match. Then it'd go great with a dynasty jersey.

#38 Mgras46

Mgras46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Etha is from Planet Eclipse so I'd go with that

#39 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members