• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RunGCaleb

RunGCaleb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

So I'm a cross country/ track runner from high school, and I'm actually back at my high school helping coach now. Ironically I'm a distance runner, 4 x 400 and up in high school, but I'm now coaching sprints. The distance coach was my coach and he's already breaking the top hundred in the Boston Marathon years before peak. Anyways, I just thought maybe I could share a few basic tips for you guys to work on the physical side of your game!

Honestly one of the biggest things comes down to doing the little things right... getting sleep, hydrating, stretching, warming up, cooling down, stretching after, eating beneficial foods, etc. common sense stuff will help you a lot!

The best runners do the little things right, and they run off of a high mileage base, regardless of race distance. So, I can image someone who is fit enough to be able to make a sprint between bunkers and still pull up a steady shot, has a big advantage over someone who is out of breathe after a short sprint and struggling to get in a good shooting form.

Also, the whole warming up process is so important, you have to get your body loose and warm to be at peak performance!

#2 go-dizzle

go-dizzle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Awesome advice! The little things really do make a difference. Only thing I'd change is the high mileage base. High mileage should only be for distance runners. Normally ranging from 800m+. I would not suggest sprinters to train slow twitch muscles. Training slow twitch muscles prohibits peak performance. Also I would add that in order to have a high mileage base you need to build up a base for your mileage. Trying to run 40+ mile weeks is a quick route to shin splints, stress fractures, and muscle pains you never thought you could have. Starting out with 6 miles a week and building up from there is a good way to go.

#3 Bunneh

Bunneh

Weekend Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Thanks, over the summer Im gonna try cutting down some more pounds, and do some sprinting, 50 pounds lost so far :D

#4 RunGCaleb

RunGCaleb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

One thing I really love is called Fartlek running, it is translated speedplay, and all you do is pick a distance and go back and forth between faster pace and a jog the whole way. Pretty fun!

#5 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

So do the one thing most people refuse to do: be a good person?

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#6 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Could you give some advice on HIIT or just interval training in general? I did HIIT last summer and cut 3-4 mins of my mile time. For JV football I need a lot more endurance. How should I go about this?

Also, do you know what type of exercises help prolong the time before you get that weak, floppy feeling, like after running a shuttle run?

#7 RunGCaleb

RunGCaleb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Could you give some advice on HIIT or just interval training in general? I did HIIT last summer and cut 3-4 mins of my mile time. For JV football I need a lot more endurance. How should I go about this?

Also, do you know what type of exercises help prolong the time before you get that weak, floppy feeling, like after running a shuttle run?

Everyone tends to think, "Oh it's just running, I'll just go run some fast and some slow and I'll be good!", when really it can get a lot more complicated than that. For instance, there's not just sprint workouts and endurance workouts, there's speed endurance, strength endurance, as well as plain speed, strength, and endurance, just to name a few. The reason this is important for all goal distances is because all the different distances or focuses require a different combination of workout types to achieve peak performance. So, that being said, what's your goal? Is it to run a fast mile, to have endurance for jv football, to be able to run fast short sprints??

#8 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Everyone tends to think, "Oh it's just running, I'll just go run some fast and some slow and I'll be good!", when really it can get a lot more complicated than that. For instance, there's not just sprint workouts and endurance workouts, there's speed endurance, strength endurance, as well as plain speed, strength, and endurance, just to name a few. The reason this is important for all goal distances is because all the different distances or focuses require a different combination of workout types to achieve peak performance. So, that being said, what's your goal? Is it to run a fast mile, to have endurance for jv football, to be able to run fast short sprints??

Long running endurance for the practices. We do a lot of running for long periods of time.

#9 nehaali

nehaali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

Hi everyone,
It is really very nice and informative forum thanks for sharing ....

Edited by nehaali, 12 August 2014 - 12:28 AM.

neha

#10 TheQ69

TheQ69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:49 PM

I agree with what you are saying. I, too, am a distance runner currently training for XC and I couldn't agree more with the warm ups part. I learned that the hard way lol. And with the high mileage base, that's true, but everyone has to start from somewhere, so it has to be built up to that point. And fartleks help a lot too if you do it right. The way I do it is a cycle that repeats every 5 minutes (a mistake people make is stopping after the increased pace and then keep going after a short break). Four minutes is running at long-distance pace and one minute is running in between mile pace and 800m pace. So, as long as it's done right, these help A LOT.

#11 jennifergibb

jennifergibb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

To connect with Storm Runners Paintball Team, sign up for Facebook today. ....People from all walks of life play paintball every week all over the globe.

Edited by jennifergibb, 15 July 2013 - 02:35 AM.

#12 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Lol nice bot post.

#13 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Not bad...  

#14 cmc1367

cmc1367

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

Long running endurance for the practices. We do a lot of running for long periods of time.

Do you run lots of sprints or do you run long distances all at one time in practice?  Sure you need endurance so you aren't fatigued in the 4th quarter but you need explosive power etc and its a lot better for lots of sprints in football since rarely do you run more then 10 yards unless you are a wr/db on a play even then maybe 20.  I would just do a lot of 40 yard dashes or so with a 20 second break (to simulate a huddle between plays) or less if you or the teams you play against go no huddle.  Also when lifting do explosive lifts like hang clean/snatch, kettleball swings, squats, deadlifts etc.  What position do you play as well because that could matter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users