33 replies to this topic

#1 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

What are the best spools for around $500? I'm open to buying used, please do not suggest the axe, yes I know it shoots super smooth for an inline poppet especially with a boss/lurker bolt, but I don't like the ergos

#2 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Drone DX, V2 Clones, DM9, Geo+, Shockers, Reflex Rail.

That should get you started on where to look.

DM9's for the price are really great shooters, same with the Shocker.

#3 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

What's the difference in the clones when they are VX'd?

#4 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

VX'd are just Updated older Clones... They have the same Drive Assembly and bolt, but Most "VX'd Clones" are not even close to a VX clone, since the Regulator is Different on the VX than a "VX'd" most people just throw the Drive Assembly, Detents and the Gold bolt and call it "VX'd" Which is not a "true VX'd" since you will need to change out the Feedneck and Regulator as well.

Also VX Clones finish are more smooth, you will notice them mostly around the eye covers, the VX clone will be more smooth, and a V1/V2 Clone will have a small gap around the eye covers. Also one dead Give away from a VX to a VX'd Clone is the Serial number underneath the Grip frame next to the regulator and trigger guard and it will look different.

Edited by Praetorian, 26 May 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#5 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

So would a v2 clone shoot smoother than a. Vx'd one? Or is it the other way around

#6 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Drone DX, Reflex Rail, and Axe (Might as well be when tuned and bolted)- new

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#7 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Drone DX, Reflex Rail, and Axe (Might as well be when tuned and bolted)- new

What do you suggest used?

#8 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

VX Drive train assembly is much more smoother. The Valve Keg in the VX doesn't have a tendency to shred o-rings in the compared to the V2(more friction in the V2)

But if your just looking for a smooth spoolie for not a whole lot, just buy a V1/V2 Clone for around $350-$450 and just buy the upgraded VX parts(gold bolt and VX Drive assembly) and you will have a smooth spoolie for not a whole lot, sad part is I still see glimpses of Russian Legion shooting VX Clones from time to time.

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Clone VX
Older Dyes, such as DM11's or DM10's
Shockers if you're willing to deal with them.

#10 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

How much are the vx drive train and gold bolt?

#11 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

The V2 fixed o-ring shredding. The VX is slightly smoother and with the gold bolt is much more efficient (~10 pods vs ~7).

#12 Oakley9

Oakley9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

you could probably pick up a vx for 500, but a dm9 for high 300's is a steal.
George Mason Paintball
Clone VX F/S/T

#13 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

If I go with a shocker, NXT or SFT?

#14 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

i would go NXT for the improvements to them, but either one really should work well

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#15 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Doesnt really matter, the NXT is newer though. I would say a Droid would be better than either still.

#16 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

Doesnt really matter, the NXT is newer though. I would say a Droid would be better than either still.

Is a droid better than a vx clone?

#17 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

The Clone was created based on the Success of the Droid. The shot feels very similar.

Edited by Praetorian, 27 May 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

Is a droid better than a vx clone?

No. The Clone is the successor to the Droid and is an improvement in every way. If you have the money go with the Clone, if not the Droid is still one hell of a marker.

#19 BraiNfreeZe

BraiNfreeZe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

Why spoolie? More maintenece, although the shot qualiy is much smoother, and quieter if that's what you want....

"Always put a condom on your stiffi incase you shoot in the safety zone."

#20 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Why spoolie? More maintenece, although the shot qualiy is much smoother, and quieter if that's what you want....

Probably because that's what he likes? Wipe down the drive, slap a light coat of lube on the o-rings that need it and you're golden. I've yet to have a marker go down on me because I practice preventative maintenance; checking for worn o-rings is a big one.

That said nearly all poppets are more efficient than all spools and do require less maintenance if that's your preference.

#21 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

I like doing maintence on my guns and I'd prefer a smoother and quieter shot since efficiency isn't a big deal to me since I have unlimited fills at the field I go to but if I use the field in my backyard ill just use my pump

#22 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

If you want a reliable and proven spool valve I would go with a dm9 or pm8, as they have a proven design that dye has mainly kept the same, only making a few different modifications over the years, while their central spool valve design has stayed the same. These two will probably be the best value for the price range, as they cost between $300-$400, and you can find them on ebay, and they will most likely have the best ergonomics for this price range, and will have around the same efficiency as any other high end spool valve, they will also have a very smooth shot that IMO is better than the GEO 2's shot, but not quite as smooth as a clone gt or a vanguard demon.

If you are tempted to get a clone, a demon, or a geo 2, you will most likely spend over $500. There are reliability issues regarding the clones and the demons, while I understand that some of them will work perfectly fine, there is a chance that you may have problems with these markers. The geo 2 is probably the most reliable out of all the markers listed, though it will be the least smooth out the markers listed, though it is still extremely smooth for a spool valve, and will probably be the easiest to maintain.

For your price range, I would highly suggest a used pm8 or a dm9, as I believe they are the only high end spool valve markers that you will find for under $500, and they will be just as good as a clone, a demon, or a geo 2. Though if you have the opportunity, I would suggest trying them out at your local field, any dm marker above 9 will shoot very similar to these, though you really can't go wrong with the pm8 or the dm9. New spool valves for under $500 won't compare to these markers, so I would go with one of these markers, or one of the other markers listed above if you can find them for under $500. I hope this helps.

#23 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:04 PM

Droid > DM in my honest opinion but its all preference. I like not having to deal with an LPR and the Droid isn't lube picky at all.

#24 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

The droid is a dump valve marker, and while the clone is smoother that the dm markers, the droid is not going to be smoother or more ergonomic than the dm9 or the pm8. While I will admit that the droid dx is the best new spool valve marker for under $500, it will not be better than the pm8 or the dm9. The efficiency will probably be about the same, with the dye markers have a slight advantage, as I believe dump valves aren't that efficient, and while there is more maintenance involved with the dye markers, as long as you maintain the bolt assembly you should be all set.

As for the lpr, all you have to do is set it once, and you shouldn't have touch it until 25 cases or so, when you have to clean it and the hpr, though you'll have to clean the droid's hpr at the same time, and if you ask me, having to clean one more part after 25 cases isn't a big deal. While I will admit the dump valve bolt design is easier to maintain than the dye fuse bolt, it isn't that much easier, and if you take your time to maintain your marker, it shouldn't make much of a difference, as you'll have to maintain the bolt assembly for both markers at about the same time, and for me, lubricating a few extra o-rings isn't a big deal.

The droid will not be better than the pm8 or the dm9, as they are both designed to be and are high end markers, and the droid was designed to be a mid-ranged marker and it will not be as good as the dye markers. The dye markers will be more efficient, smoother, and will have better ergonomics, with the droid just being easier to maintain, as it has less o-rings to lube, and only has an hpr. While the droid is probably the best option if you are looking to buy new, it is not a high end marker, and it will not be as good as the pm8 or the dm9, plain and simple.

#25 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

^I think you mean Drone DX

#26 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Sorry about that, I meant Drone DX, sorry I'm mixing up markers, the droid is a good marker, though I believe it had reliability issues, and it wasn't as smooth as the clone GT, I personally haven't shot one so I can't directly compare it to a pm8 or a dm9, though I don't believe it was any smoother than the dye markers, and because of reliability issues I would go with the dye markers, as they are a more proven design. Dye hasn't made many changes since the dm9 because they found a design that worked, while macdev is still working to improve their design so they can reach the sweet spot in their design that dye has already achieved.

While the droid is a good marker, I would not recommend it due to a possible reliability issue, and since you would be buying used, it will be more difficult to get your gun serviced if you have problems. Since the dye markers are a proven design, they will not have much of a chance to fail, and if they do, it will be much easier to diagnose and fix. I believe the droid is slightly more efficient than the dye markers, though not by much, and since the dye marker will be just as smooth, and will most likely have better ergonomics, though that comes down to preference.

I would still get the dm9 or the pm8 over the droid, as they will most likely be cheaper, as dye markers have awful resale due to how similar their markers are, which is a good thing if you are buying used. They will be just as smooth as the droid, and they will have very similar efficiency, and I would have to give the edge for ergonomics to dye, as they have great grips. The maintenance will be about the same, except for the lpr, which doesn't take much to maintain. Both the droid and dye markers are great markers, but dye has a proven design, and while macdev is working to get there, they are not there yet. If it wasn't for the reliability issue you could just flip a coin, and be happy with either marker, though because the droid is potentially problematic I still think the dm9 or the pm8 is the better option.

#27 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I do know that the very first Droids had valve issues but there were new versions released.

That is a good point on the desgin, it was MacDev's first spool vs Dye's like fourth of fifth at least.

#28 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

If they fixed the issue than I would suggest trying both out if you can, and see which one you like better, but if you can't try them out, I would go for the dm9 or the pm8 because they are cheaper.

#29 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yeah serioulsy though, the PM8 and DM9/10 are the best Matrixes ever made. They're crazy cheap now too.

#30 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

I agree

#31 SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN1147789

SPARTAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

DM9 and PM8 vs Droid

Efficiency:
Droid>=DM9 and PM8

Smoothness:
Droid=DM9 and PM8

Ergonomics (IMO):
DM9 and PM8>Droid
  • Dye grips are amazing

Maintenance:
Bolt assembly
  • DM9 and PM8=Droid
Regulators
  • Droid>DM9 and PM8

Weight:
Droid>DM9 and PM8
  • 2 lbs 3.2 ounces> 2 lbs 3.4 ounces and 2 lbs 4.0 ounces

Trigger (IMO):
Droid=DM9 and PM8
  • Both are bad, I suggest you upgrade to a violent trigger

Reliability:
DM9 and PM8>Droid
  • Proven spool valve>first spool valve
Board:
DM9 and PM8=Droid
  • Both are good board
Value:
DM9 and PM8>Droid
  • $300-$400>$400+

Edited by SPARTAN1147789, 05 June 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#32 Ghamm92

Ghamm92

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

I held the axe at my pro shop again and I like the ergos this time around, so now my question is boss or lurker bolt?

#33 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Lurker.

Lurker.

#34 syllabuz

syllabuz