• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

So I am just getting back into paintballing again. I picked up the Sly Profits and an Etek 4. I haven't even played with it yet and I am already thinking of getting a pump haha. I don't know what to do. Should I just say screw it return the Etek and get the Empire Sniper. Mind you I haven't used a pump since the very first time I paintballed 14-15 years ago. But I absolutely loved it. A group of buddies and I plan on playing 2 times a month with one of those times being a big private group party. Part of me wants to sling paint like crazy but another wants th challenge of accuracy/sneaky sneakiness/savy.. Besides if I can merc my buddies with a pump that would be ultimate "I shit on you fools" kind if stuff. Haha I have no clue what to do.....

#2 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:16 AM

Follow your heart? That's really the best you can do. I'd gladly trade my Bro's axe that's practically mine for a mech J4, even though it's just a mech. It's really on what you think will give you the most fun.
Pump play can be extremely fun, and most people keep their pump gun for life. I say get a sniper or a CCM, and then slowly save up money incase you wanna wreck with an electro. That is, if you are sure you really love pump. You could also snatch up a cheap sniper used and try out pump yourself.
Heck, that may even be your answer right there.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#3 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think I'll do that try and get a cheap used pump and see how it goes.

#4 o-baller

o-baller

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

A cheap used pump is a good choice, because pumps resale generally doesn't fluctuate to much.

That and pump is cheaper, and if you can have the same amount of fun for less why wouldn't you?
Sqaush the Bug and Whip the Hips- Coach Watkins

98% of statistics in peoples sigs are made up

#5 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

One of my buddy's buddy has a empire sniper he is willing to let me try for a game or two this weekend.. If I like it then I'll look for getting a used pump. Allow me to mix it up

#6 Mr Idiot Box

Mr Idiot Box

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

I always keep a quality electro in the trunk when I go play pump. Just in case you get that one JA that likes to bonus ball the hell out of new players and people playing pump.

#7 1shot

1shot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

If you want to be competitive buy an auto, if you want to have fun buy a pump. I used to put the auto in the trunk. After a couple years of it never leaving the car I stopped packing it. The way I see it is; jerks are a part of life and if you let them dictate what you do, the way you want to play then you have given them control over you. I don't want to play auto any more, so I don't, regardless of who is on the field. If you enjoy auto just as much as pump, by all means make it rain. Just something to think about.

#8 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

If you want to be competitive buy an auto, if you want to have fun buy a pump. I used to put the auto in the trunk. After a couple years of it never leaving the car I stopped packing it. The way I see it is; jerks are a part of life and if you let them dictate what you do, the way you want to play then you have given them control over you. I don't want to play auto any more, so I don't, regardless of who is on the field. If you enjoy auto just as much as pump, by all means make it rain. Just something to think about.

yessir, the only gun I own as of now is a pump. I play everything with it. If I get shot out, it means I need to play better.

Cattle die, kinsmen die all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#9 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Lol auto

#10 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

For the Pumpers out there.
I have decided to join your ranks since I will be paint balling 3+ times a month. I will be keeping my Etek but I am set on adding a pump, this way I can go 2 days electro 1 day pump (or even the other way around). I figure playing at least 1/3 days pump I will save on paint=$ as well all know paint balling isn't cheap. So what are some recommendations. As much as I really would like to pick up an Empire Sniper, I am unable to afford one at this time. I am leaning at something like in-between open and stock class. I like how the 10 tube stick looks on the pumps, lower profile, cleaner looking in my eyes. I also want to use my 50/4500 Ninja Air tank on it as well. Should I wait and just save up for the Empire? Or do you guys recommend anything else. If I have to wait for the Empire I am looking at 4-6 months. I can most likely afford a $150-$200 pump in the next month or two and <150 in a month.

I would also like to note I would I am a rec-baller if that matters at all. Something reliable, easy to maintain is ideal.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by MKVIGTI, 04 June 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#11 Crashkt90

Crashkt90

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

I sold my etek for a phantom, never looked back yet! Now i have 2. 1 thats all rare parts and 1 thats is a factory rare anno

Reverse Drop Forward Gloss Black Modified Stock Class Phantom

#12 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

I would love to get a trilogy and slap a pump kit on it or even better find one with one on it. But they seem hard to find.

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

I would love to get a trilogy and slap a pump kit on it or even better find one with one on it. But they seem hard to find.

Lol since when? those things are a dime a dozen, and you can find them anywhere. Go on EBay, and you'll find dozens of them, pumped or not.

#14 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:41 AM

Lol since when? those things are a dime a dozen, and you can find them anywhere. Go on EBay, and you'll find dozens of them, pumped or not.

I guess I didn't look hard enough. I will check again. What should I expect to pay for one pump or no pump? Is that a better option then going with a new Azodin or BT Trracer?

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Yeah, well, it depends what you find. I personally prefer the Azodin Kaos pump because it shoots well and you can put any loader on it., but I'm not a huge pump guy, so I'm probably not the best authority on pumps.

#16 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Sub-200 bucks, go Azodin, cheap nelson(traccer or hammer 7), or cocker pump. Get used if you can. 200-400 Used CCM S5, empire sniper, phantom, and SM-1. I shoot an Azodin, I love it. I've shot ccms and tonnes of cocker pumps. CCMs are amazing. Grab a cheap pump then save up.

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#17 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

buy a cheap 2k+ cocker, then slowly upgrade what you don't like on it.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#18 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

How much should I expect to pay for a cheap cocker?

#19 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

$150 or less.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#20 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

So I've been thinking.. I'm so indecisive.. I play much more scenario and hardly play speedball. So my thoughts are possibly trade my Etek for an Empire Sniper and get a cheaper electro. I loved using the Etek this last weekend but I am pretty sure I can have fun still with a cheaper electro. Maybe it's just me but in my eyes I would want the most expensive/better pump than electro because accuracy counts much more. I'm sure I can probably get a straight trade or even a little money added for a sniper trade you think?

#21 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

You can be just as accurate and close to as limited with an etek than a pump, though I understand the reasoning.

#22 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

CCM! go balls to the wall! (I'm the pump devil's advocate)

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#23 Crashkt90

Crashkt90

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Sub-200 bucks, go Azodin, cheap nelson(traccer or hammer 7) phantom, or cocker pump. Get used if you can. 200-400 Used CCM S5, empire sniper, phantom, and SM-1. I shoot an Azodin, I love it. I've shot ccms and tonnes of cocker pumps. CCMs are amazing. Grab a cheap pump then save up.

You are all over the place with help. It is very simple. If you want the best stock class phantom or RTR gargoyle hands down, if you would like open class get a cheap prostock and then make it your own or find one cheap and if you like it then make it your own. I do not think CCM is worth the money.

Reverse Drop Forward Gloss Black Modified Stock Class Phantom

#24 Demon

Demon

Master Tech

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

USED SNIPER. that is all.

Mad Cow Paintball referee and tech
UNL Husker Paintball
"Let's play a game of go fuck yourself, you first..."

My Feedback

#25 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sub-200 bucks, go Azodin, cheap nelson(traccer or hammer 7) phantom, or cocker pump. Get used if you can. 200-400 Used CCM S5, empire sniper, phantom, and SM-1. I shoot an Azodin, I love it. I've shot ccms and tonnes of cocker pumps. CCMs are amazing. Grab a cheap pump then save up.

You are all over the place with help. It is very simple. If you want the best stock class phantom or RTR gargoyle hands down, if you would like open class get a cheap prostock and then make it your own or find one cheap and if you like it then make it your own. I do not think CCM is worth the money.

I certainly think that that a ccm is to a pro-stock as a garg is to a phantom. Both are better versions of the base marker. And even though, a phantom will be as good on paper as a garg, it lacks the refinement (btw I love phantoms, no hate). The same is true with a CCM and a cocker pump.
A used S5 can be had for around the same price as an empire sniper. I 100% believe that it is a better marker. The craftsmanship, feel, and shot quality of a CCM is very very high. This being said, I was aiming to rough out the options that the OP has. A phantom will suffer in openclass because of the rougher pump stroke, a cocker will not have the same efficiency and lightweight feel of a phantom.
The OP should hear about all the options before he choses. The only reason I said grab a CCM is because if you buy used, they have better resale than any other pump on that list. Phantoms used to hold resale well, but now I see plenty going for cheap.

I will elaborate on each of my recommendations. The pros are first then the cons

Azodin Kaos pump:
Pros Cheap, easy to buy used, autococker threaded, comes with a reg stock (2011 model), a lot of pump for the price. Efficient, I get about 150 shots at 280 fps of a 13/3000k
Cons Loud/farts, has less upgrade potential than a cocker, needs a new barrel (the triad barrel is crap).

Cheap Nelson (traccer clones):
Pros Super Cheap, easy to get used, workhorse, did I mention cheap?
Cons Rough pump stroke, limited upgrade potential, some have obscure threads for barrel.

200$ Phantom
Pros WORKHORSE, quiet, easy to change configurations, easy to find used, efficient, easy to maintain, great for stock class, Auto trigger
Cons 200$ is the bottom side of phantoms, not as smooth as a cocker or kaos, not as good for open class unless money is put into it, barrel is a large bore.

CCM S5
Pros Silky smooth pump stroke, Auto trigger, EXCELLENT craftsmanship, good resale value, light weight for a full body pump, good reg, Lots of options (frame geometry etc), great barrel, ships tuned and timed. Amazing internals and pump kit. In short, one of the best performing OC pumps you can get bar the T2, S6.5, J12, or a custom build cocker pump.
Cons Expensive, not as efficient as say a phantom.

Empire sniper
Pros Nice pump stroke, Auto trigger, GOOD craftsmanship, half block=lightweight, Comes with barrel kit and spring feed, nice reg, A solid OC pump
Cons No custom options, made abroad (if this matters to you), Expensive-ish

Nice Phantom
Pros Better pump stroke, auto trigger, Excellent craftsmanship, super light, TONNES of options, bulletproof, Stock Class beast, Mike is a stand up guy.
Cons Still not great OC, lacks the fit and finish of the ridiculous SC markers (ducks, re-dux, box guns, gargs)

SM-1
Pros Great pump stroke, Custom (you chose reg, barrel, asa, and grips), Great craftsmanship, Half block=lightweight, Solid OC pump
Cons You have to set it up (maybe that's a pro), no Autotrigger stock, Expensive-ish

There you go, plenty of options to choose from. I didn't include used cocker pumps because the quality of them can vary so much depending on the upgrades they have.

Edited by TheAlmostPanda, 07 June 2013 - 06:44 PM.

nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users