Photo

I'm done with Consoles, teach me the ways of PC gaming!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Well I have finally decided that I don't want to use my Xbox 360 anymore, and its time to start PC gaming. I really don't know that much when it comes to PC specs, so I am going to need yalls advice. My main concern is playing bf3/bf4. It was my favorite game on the xbox, and I know that playing 64 player conquest is going to be so much more fun. Like I said, I don't know that much when it comes to specs, so what parts will I need to upgrade to insure the best playing experience? Keep in mind that I'm not trying to build a super uber mega gaming rig, just something that will run battlefield, planetside, arma etc. on decent settings.

#2 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well, for starters, what's your budget?

o8qo.jpg

#3 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Well, for starters, what's your budget?

It really just depends, I just need to know what all I will need to upgrade since I have no clue, then we can get started on the actually brands and prices for parts.

#4 Carolus Rex

Carolus Rex

I won at life once.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Okay, what do you have currently?

o8qo.jpg

#5 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

well I have an inspiron 546. looking up the specs. now....

#6 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

A laptop? Forget upgrading. You're either buying a new laptop, building a desktop, or using what you have.

Edit: apparently dell decided it would be a good idea to give the Inspiron name to a desktop. -_-

To begin with, buy a PSU and a GPU. If that computer takes more than that, you're essentially looking at a new build anyway.

What resolution are you at?

Edited by Dogg3, 28 May 2013 - 04:02 PM.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#7 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

iirc it should be 1920 X 1080

#8 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Processor : AMD Athlon II X2
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Processor Name: AMD Athlon II X2 215
RAM: 6 GB
Storage Capacity : 640 GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200

This is what my current specs are, I honestly have no clue what I might need to upgrade and replace so this might be no help to yall lol...

#9 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Save the hard drive and maybe the RAM, not much of that will transfer over if you're looking to play BF3 at high settings and framerates. And I know ARMA II likes more than 2 cores. What's your budget?

Edited by Dogg3, 28 May 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#10 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

maybe $250-300 at most. I just want to be able to run those kind of games at a little bit better quality than my xbox. Nothing fancy yet......I really just need to find out what all I need to replace, and then I will try and start budgeting from there.

#11 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

You pretty much need an entirely new computer, it's gonna run you about $600 if you want to get a nice PC. Sorry bro.

The CPU needs to be upgraded, which means a new motherboard and ram. Then about $100 for a 7770 (great GPU). Then what's gonna power it? The little $20 PSU in that sure isn't. On top of this, if the current hard drive isn't a SATA connection, it's not going to work.

That's about $450 at best for something that could handle BF3 well. If you can save up a little more I'd be glad to make a build for you, but I think it's worth it to just buy an entire rig and build it. You also run into Windows key problems and running out of case space when you upgrade a pre built PC.

So yeah, I'd take any money you would spend for a Xbox One/PS4 and put it into a PC. I'm gonna come up with a cheap build that will play BF3 for you in a few mins.

#12 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

You pretty much need an entirely new computer, it's gonna run you about $600 if you want to get a nice PC. Sorry bro.

The CPU needs to be upgraded, which means a new motherboard and ram. Then about $100 for a 7770 (great GPU). Then what's gonna power it? The little $20 PSU in that sure isn't. On top of this, if the current hard drive isn't a SATA connection, it's not going to work.

That's about $450 at best for something that could handle BF3 well. If you can save up a little more I'd be glad to make a build for you, but I think it's worth it to just buy an entire rig and build it. You also run into Windows key problems and running out of case space when you upgrade a pre built PC.

So yeah, I'd take any money you would spend for a Xbox One/PS4 and put it into a PC. I'm gonna come up with a cheap build that will play BF3 for you in a few mins.

I love you Baconboy

#13 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

Love you too man, but I need to do the build tomorrow. I'm really tired and just want to go to sleep. But I WILL have it tom.

#14 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

Love you too man, but I need to do the build tomorrow. I'm really tired and just want to go to sleep. But I WILL have it tom.

You know, that doesn't sound too terribly bad from what you said. It might seem a little pricy, but I know its going to be better and more high quality than sticking with the xbox platform and paying for a new system and xbox live every month....

#15 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Yeah, an Xbox and a 1 year member ship costs $400-$500, then you need a controller, maybe a wireless adapter... The only reason I still play Xbox too is because of my friends and the fact that I don't want to re-buy $500 worth of games. While I'm making the build, do me a favor. Look inside your computer. Coming from the CD drive and Hard drives, do you see a ribbon cable (looks like a wide ribbon) or is it just a regular connection? If it has a ribbon cable it is an IDE connection, if not, it is a SATA connection.

Posted Image

That is an IDE hard drive with a ribbon cable. This below is a SATA hard drive.

Posted Image

If your PC does have sata connections, you can re use the CD drive and Hard Drive, eliminating about $100. If not, you have to buy these.

#16 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

http://secure.newegg...Number=22325472

plus this video card

http://www.newegg.co...VirtualParent=1

This totals out to a subtotal of $615. I own the GPU, CPU, CD Drive, and case that are in the build. All the other stuff is better then what I have. The reason I gave you an out of stock GPU is because it's an amazing card, and it's cheap. I don't want you to order all this, but go to a microcenter or something and buy it. The people there will help you, just hand them a list of this stuff and ask for any advice.

#17 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

welp it looks like I have an IDE. I am going to look around, but thanks so much! I had no idea what I was going to need to do, and that list helped me out sooo much.

#18 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Np man! You can post that build around and ask some people for suggestions, that was the best I could come up with for $600.

#19 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

If gaming is your primary focus, you'd actually be better off with a Core i3 build. Most games aren't threaded enough to take advantage of more than 2 cores. IPC is more important in gaming, and AMD lags behind Intel in that metric.

(Edit: It would be irresponsible of me to neglect the fact that a) the AMD is better if you decide to get into rendering video and 2) when gaming, you'd be unlikely to notice the difference since anything you'll play will be bottlenecked by the graphics card.)

This may change in 3-5 years, but by then you'd probably be looking at a new build anyway.

The 7770 is good enough, no doubt there. I'd try and swing at least a 7850 though. If you can't, don't worry about it. The 7770 is a solid card.

Edited by Dogg3, 05 June 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#20 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yeah I chose a quad core because yes, most games don't take advantage of it, but the games that do take advantage of it NEED it. Also it's a little cheaper.

#21 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yeah I chose a quad core because yes, most games don't take advantage of it, but the games that do take advantage of it NEED it. Also it's a little cheaper.

Not really. The only game that has a severe performance hit on less than 4 cores is ARMA 2. I can push BF3 MP to well over 60FPS using a Sandy Bridge dual core. Swapping over to an IVB quad gained me no noticeable difference. A better graphics card did.

If you scale back the mobo, you could hit a price point that is lower still.

Edited by Dogg3, 06 June 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#22 Bunneh

Bunneh

Weekend Baller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, just go for a new desktop. If you want to go on an adventure build one. It's not too hard, it might take some time at first (first time took me 5 hours :P )

#23 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Not really. The only game that has a severe performance hit on less than 4 cores is ARMA 2. I can push BF3 MP to well over 60FPS using a Sandy Bridge dual core. Swapping over to an IVB quad gained me no noticeable difference. A better graphics card did.

My only concern is that scaling down the mobo would cause potential problems. It's just one of those parts that you really shouldn't cheap out on, I made that mistake.

#24 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

My only concern is that scaling down the mobo would cause potential problems. It's just one of those parts that you really shouldn't cheap out on, I made that mistake.

You don't have to spend a ton to get quality. Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all make solid budget boards.

#25 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

A&M, if your sure you are going to play PC games then do this. Download Origin (it's like Steam, but by EA) and they are selling BF3 for $5 because of an E3 promo. You also can download the CQ pack free. Just did this and it's awesome.

#26 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:42 AM

A&M, if your sure you are going to play PC games then do this. Download Origin (it's like Steam, but by EA) and they are selling BF3 for $5 because of an E3 promo. You also can download the CQ pack free. Just did this and it's awesome.

Holy shit I zoomed over to Origin and bought it , thanks for the tip :lol:

Posted Image

#27 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

meow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Done. Gracias

#28 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Also premium is $15...

azjkbifSIUEFHBh873sGBIa7gw78ag73w hc 7whg jv

Sorry just cleaning the jizz out of my keyboard.

#29 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Crazy sale 12 hours left .Just got every ARMA for 13 $.
http://www.gog.com/
GO GO GO

Posted Image

#30 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

for building a pc in terms of components these guys really now there stuff.

https://www.youtube....1D9BF9F40D0E5E

and in terms of actually building a PC this helps but there are tons of guides everywhere.
electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-to-tech/build-a-computer.htm

Edited by fumbimo, 23 June 2013 - 08:22 AM.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#31 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

Crazy sale 12 hours left .Just got every ARMA for 13 $.
http://www.gog.com/
GO GO GO

damn I missed it... I'm making a summer sale thread in the games section and buying a $100 gift card. Gogogogogo!

#32 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:30 PM

One of the best places you can start learning about PC's is A) Go on youtube and type in "How to build a PC". Watch like 3 or 4 tutorials, you will learn so much stuff. B) Go on Reddit.com and start reading /r/buildapc. Again, you will learn a lot and the guys over there are awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users