15 replies to this topic

#1 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm looking for a laptop for my dad. All he uses it for is light Internet browsing (kijiji, real estate etc.) and watching tv show online. The computer he uses now is an hp running XP, 504 mb of ram and, a pentium 4 processor (outdated I know lol). Basically he wants to be able to lay back on the couch and watch his shows while having a good screen ( the monitor we have now is really dark and not very good quality) and he wants some light Internet browsing. I was thinking in the the $200-$300 range but I haven't found anything yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated as its for his birthday/father's day.
I have and I always will be a Christian Baller.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#2 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Outlet.dell.com

Go to the business site. Buy a Latitude with an i3-2xxx or i3-3xxx and 4+ gigs of RAM. Should be relatively inexpensive while still providing a computer that will last a LONG time. I wouldn't bother with consumer laptops. They tend to be made of inferior materials. There are exceptions however.

Dell's outlet computers are in great shape. They look damn near new.

Eh. Just checked. They're out of your price range by ~$100.

Edited by Dogg3, 30 May 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#3 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

This is the best one I found unfortunately only 2 gigs of ram and its running windows 8. Windows 7 would be better as its similar to XP in layout.
My setup: Because I'm a bad*** Tippmann 98 custom with a shake and bake and two 20oz C02 tanks. Be jelly!

#4 mitcholt

mitcholt

Call me Kirby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

That's a tricky price range for quality laptops now that the netbook market is nearly dead. Has he ever thought about getting a tablet? My Nexus 7 works great for browsing the internet and I got it for $189 a few months ago.

#5 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

That's a tricky price range for quality laptops now that the netbook market is nearly dead. Has he ever thought about getting a tablet? My Nexus 7 works great for browsing the internet and I got it for $189 a few months ago.

He's not one for touch screens lol. I was thinking if getting a nexus 7 myself, but can you still watch tv shows and studf online with it? And he kind of tends to fall asleep so he might drop it or something and im not sure if he would want to hold it for a long time. Also I forgot to post the link http://m.bestbuy.ca/...8487&lang=en-CA

#6 mitcholt

mitcholt

Call me Kirby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

He's not one for touch screens lol. I was thinking if getting a nexus 7 myself, but can you still watch tv shows and studf online with it? And he kind of tends to fall asleep so he might drop it or something and im not sure if he would want to hold it for a long time. Also I forgot to post the link http://m.bestbuy.ca/...8487&lang=en-CA

I use it for Netflix and there's an excellent program called Plex that let's me stream all of the movies I have on my desktop. More and more services are either moving to Android apps or websites that don't use Flash (there's a workaround to get the Nexus 7 to play Flash, I've just never had the need to do it).

As for holding onto the thing, I've dropped my 7 a few times and there are only a few marks on the edges. It's pretty durable. Plus, it's much lighter than a laptop/iPad. I actually got rid of my iPad because I hated reading on it while I was in bed (it's hard to hold onto for more than a few minutes).

#7 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I use it for Netflix and there's an excellent program called Plex that let's me stream all of the movies I have on my desktop. More and more services are either moving to Android apps or websites that don't use Flash (there's a workaround to get the Nexus 7 to play Flash, I've just never had the need to do it).

As for holding onto the thing, I've dropped my 7 a few times and there are only a few marks on the edges. It's pretty durable. Plus, it's much lighter than a laptop/iPad. I actually got rid of my iPad because I hated reading on it while I was in bed (it's hard to hold onto for more than a few minutes).

I'll check into it, thank your sir!

#8 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

Chromebook.

I love you.

#9 Bigmac977

Bigmac977

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Chromebook.

#10 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I think that will work! Our current monitor is 13inches so and 11 inch won't be too bad. Thanks!

#11 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

So I told my dad that I found a laptop for him and he immediately said that he didn't want a cheap one. Now there are different versions of the chromebook, so I was leaning more towards the Hp version but it's a more money. How is the Samsung version? Don't even mention the Acer one lol....

#12 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Personally, I'd go with the Samsung. I have not had good experiences with HP laptops.

Maybe they've turned a new leaf? But after they decided to not fix a problem on a computer that was like 2 days out of warranty I swore off them.

#13 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

Personally, I'd go with the Samsung. I have not had good experiences with HP laptops.

Maybe they've turned a new leaf? But after they decided to not fix a problem on a computer that was like 2 days out of warranty I swore off them.

I think they have or you just got bad cs or something. Our desktop is a hp and its surprisingly good. My cousin got and hp laptop and he loves it. I'll check into the Samsung more but I'm always leery of companys getting into new branches of products.

#14 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think they have or you just got bad cs or something. Our desktop is a hp and its surprisingly good. My cousin got and hp laptop and he loves it. I'll check into the Samsung more but I'm always leery of companys getting into new branches of products.

No, that's actually standard fare for HPs consumer level customer service. Their consumer laptops weren't that great either for a time. This was about 4 years ago, so still too soon for me to trust their hardware or their cust. service.

#15 Lime

Lime

The Superior Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

I would get the Samsung in your case, unless the 3 inch bigger screen is important.

Samsung:
Better battery life
Lighter
Smaller
No fan

HP:
Better processor (which probably won't affect you that much)
Bigger screen

I love you.

#16 Woodyballer29

Woodyballer29

Brass Eagle Fanboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Ok, thanks for the input guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users