Photo

If I wanted a Bob Long gun, what do I need to be aware of?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I've only got to try a couple of the "Super Guns" but Bob Long's reputation seems pretty good and my name being Tim, I'm kinda digging the "Timmy" nickname so I wanted to learn more about them. I've heard you need an adjustable reg for your tank, is that true? Is there anything else like that I might need to know when considering. What about old vs new? If i was looking at getting an old, say, Alias Timmy, what would I look for. If I was to save my pennies and get a nice shiny new, never been fired Dragon G6R Timmy, what should I know. So far, Wikipedia isn't being very forthcoming with info and Google seems to be flooded with bullshit, sales and shooting videos.

Supreme and terrible Ra who maketh god and men tremble before Thee
I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile

#2 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Buy 2012 G6R, put in air tank and shoot it.
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#3 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Buy 2012 G6R, put in air tank and shoot it.

You sure they won't blow seals? They have no macro and I was under the impression they required lower input pressure so as not to blow out seals.

I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

What tank reg do you have?

#5 silvere108

silvere108

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

Medium or low pressure are a bit better for internal air lines. The slp tank will get a few more shots. But nobody is having troubles with any tank they are tossing on. You can open most regs and add/remove washers and shims to change pressure.
Thread Killer!

#6 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Use medium to low pressure tank output, pressure test it, and lube it with DoW55 and triflow as directed and you should be fine.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#7 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

tank pressure

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#8 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

Dude I use the standard Myth reg output on my 2012, I have not had to fix ANY oring issues. For the 2011 g6r yes do get a LP or SLP but for a 2012 its not as big as an issue.

Its a asa issue. Just buy a 2012, hell I got mine for a mini, sniper, and a freak barrel (no inserts) for a 2012 with hush, deuce, parts kit, barrel kit, extra noid and extra top board.
gnUDL.png

#9 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

These are the only pics I have of the tank and neither shows the reg, well. I can take another when I get home.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So is it a good idea for any BL gun, new or old? What about quirks of operation or maintenance items. Any known faults? How do they compare with some of the other high ends? So far all I've shot was a Victory and an LV1.

#10 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

only faults with older timmies is watch their Eye wires, they are easy cut or damaged when trying to reassemble to quickly.

#11 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Maybe buy a 2012 G6R
gnUDL.png

#12 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

Dude I use the standard Myth reg output on my 2012, I have not had to fix ANY oring issues. For the 2011 g6r yes do get a LP or SLP but for a 2012 its not as big as an issue.

Its a asa issue. Just buy a 2012, hell I got mine for a mini, sniper, and a freak barrel (no inserts) for a 2012 with hush, deuce, parts kit, barrel kit, extra noid and extra top board.

If I could find someone to trade me for a TV I never watch any more and some Tools I barely use, I would in a heartbeat. But until then, I get to lust after one of these or try to save for one of these.

#13 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Maybe buy a 2012 G6R

You say that like money is easy to come by. I'm working 2 jobs to save up for my next gat but it's gonna be a while. This is what I like to call "The Planning Phase". But trust me, the 2012 is resting at the top of the heap, right now. I was just wanting some more info on BL guns and I think I'm leaning towards a poppet gun. Spoolies are cool too, though and I may be making another thread on them if'n I can't find enough info to satisfy me.

P.S. That old school BL shit is fucking awesome looking. The bodies are hawt!

Edited by Village Idiot, 09 June 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#14 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

V1 Victory?

#15 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Pics are worth a thousand words so here is my thousand words

Posted Image
gnUDL.png

#16 Billy Badass-RPF

Billy Badass-RPF

Doctor wrote me a prescription, for more cowbell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Bob Long guns are Double D tits.
If I didn't buy so many guns for the sole purpose of fondling them i'd be a very rich man.
Am I the only one that when they see FEP QUEST they read it as FAP-QUEST then chuckle silently?
BST TIPX
http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=217819

#17 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

V1 Victory?

You asking what I shot or are you trying to get me to consider one? If you want me to consider one, I need some linkage for reading. If you're asking what I shot, it looks a lot like this. Similar in color and shape.

Edited by Village Idiot, 09 June 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#18 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Pics are worth a thousand words so here is my thousand words

Posted Image

It's purty! I love the matte black.

#19 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Its fuuny, I LOVE gloss finishes due it its slick ness yet I own like what 4 dust finished markers. Fuck me right?
gnUDL.png

#20 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Consider one. They run anywhere from $400-$600.

They also can take the Vcom engine.. :wub:

#21 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Its fuuny, I LOVE gloss finishes due it its slick ness yet I own like what 4 dust finished markers. Fuck me right?

Sounds like you need a 2 tone gloss black/matte black 2012 G6R...

#22 Dogg3

Dogg3

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm a simple man. Shot quality takes a back seat to a gun I'm comfortable shooting (which I guess is why I like PE poppets so much). Note: I'm not referring to "proper" ergonomics, but ergonomics I like.

I haven't had the opportunity to lay hands on a Timmy yet, but I hear they have awesome triggers, even going way back. So I bought a 2k2 with a 2k5 frame. Should be here tomorrow. ^_^ The only thing I'm worried about is finding the correct LPR pressure since the ram has been upgraded.

I'll let you know how it goes?

V1 Victory?

You asking what I shot or are you trying to get me to consider one? If you want me to consider one, I need some linkage for reading. If you're asking what I shot, it looks a lot like this. Similar in color and shape.

I like.

Edited by Dogg3, 09 June 2013 - 10:38 PM.

Oh and in case this isn't unprofessional enough yet.

Fuck, shit, boobs, purple monkey dishwasher.

#23 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

I'm a simple man. Shot quality takes a back seat to a gun I'm comfortable shooting (which I guess is why I like PE poppets so much). Note: I'm not referring to "proper" ergonomics, but ergonomics I like.

I haven't had the opportunity to lay hands on a Timmy yet, but I hear they have awesome triggers, even going way back. So I bought a 2k2 with a 2k5 frame. Should be here tomorrow. ^_^ The only thing I'm worried about is finding the correct LPR pressure since the ram has been upgraded.

I'll let you know how it goes?

Cool. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

#24 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

You have a Ninja Tank with a Ninja Regulator, all you need to do is take out the 2 red shims in the reg, and do that when the tank is EMPTY.

#25 iNicker

iNicker

Amazing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

vcoms look the best imo.

#26 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

i think it's safe to say Bob needs to make a Species V-Com. If he mills it, they will come... :wub:

On topic:

Dow 55
LP Regs on the tank
Pressure Testers

Enjoy the marker!

Love my G6R.

#27 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

You will shoot two cases a day instead of one...they are that good.

Good Luck!

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

#28 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,842 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Posted Image

Bob Long makes gold. This was my gold.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#29 510waffles

510waffles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

use low pressure, buy a pressure tester,dow 55, a GOOD set of allen keys,youre set. Everyone that blames bob long guns for not being useable are the people that try to put a round peg into a square hole

Edited by 510waffles, 10 June 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#30 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

As a cheap guy who likes older stuff, I can recommend the Alias and third generation timmies in general. I got mine for very short money on eBay and it shoots like hot buttered laser titties. Efficient as all hell, too, if you care about that. Easily the best trigger I've ever shot, and very smooth and quiet for a poppit valved gun. Absolutely fantastic for a semi back player. I'll admit to being a bit of a Bob Long fan-boy. I love that he manufactures in the States. I love that he tends to price lower than his competition. I love all the wacky limited-run body options (Dragon, Species, A-Bomb, etc.) There's a great community of BL owners at IOG, who can help with just about any issue you'll run into, including parts availability, which can get interesting with older guns sometimes. I run my Alias on high pressure with no issues.

These guns have their down-sides. First, they're heavy. I assume that's one reason they shoot so smooth (just like older DMs). I'm not crazy about the clamshell design, or the removable ram sleeve. These aren't deal-breakers for me, but they're just kind of...cumbersome. My gun has a press-fit feedneck. I'd prefer something threaded, which some Aliases have. No big deal...it's not like I need to remove my feedneck much. Service is kind of a double-edged sword with BL. On one hand, their factory service is fantastic. On the other hand, they don't do the greatest job of supporting shops in providing local service for BL guns. So if your Alias goes down and you can't fix it yourself (which you often can), you'll probably need to ship it to BLAST. Kind of comes with the territory with a smaller company, I guess. People bitch about BL's "packaging." I guess I understand why, but I've never shot anyone out with packaging. No one in their right mind would choose one gun over another because it comes with nicer Allen wrenches.

When you can often find gen-3 timmies in good condition for less than $200, I don't think there's much risk in trying one. In my crotchedy, middle aged opinion, they dominate every new gun you could possibly get for the same money, and some guns that cost more. If you don't like it, resell it. You might even make money on the deal.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users