• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pShore

pShore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Shorter tanks (and tank regs) are generally more appealing. There's a lot of marketing hype around "our shortest tank reg ever," etc.

Adjustable tank regs are no longer in fashion(unnecessary, as nearly ever marker has an HP reg and is designed for standard input pressures).

Could we conceive of a tank regulator that could fit INSIDE the tank? While I realize this would sacrifice a few cu.in, I imagine there's a market for this...
Reduce the post-tank extension to the absolute minimum... a fill nipple, a guage, a burst disk (all at the same long-axis level), followed by threads for the ASA. Or could we convince people to return to a dovetail or mounted tank and sub provide an on/off?

I love integrated on/off valves. I'm not the biggest fan of threaded tanks (were I to be designing a product), as there is a lot of room for user error.

In any case, thoughts on the internal reg idea?
Dream tank reg specs?

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

I dont know of anyone that likes shorter regs and adjustable output is still very appealing if you switch around to different markers that prefer 450 or 550.

#3 crich775

crich775

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Personally I love dovetail mounted tanks. The maxflo micro is on most of my tanks, and If ninja or another company started producing them again I would buy as many as I could.
Rest In Peace Jacob Espindola 1-12-07
OEF Vet 2011-2012, Combat Infantryman Badge Recipient

#4 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

I was interested to hear Yosh Rau say in a recent interview that one of the first things he suggests to people to improve their play is lengthening their tank setup an inch or two. Not suggesting that there wouldn't be a market for even shorter tanks. I'm sure there would be.

Edited by Old Dude PB, 17 June 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#5 pShore

pShore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

iinteresting, re:Yosh Rau.
makes sense why we dont see dropforwards on the field...
now is it for use as a stock to stabilize aim?

as for adjustability, my armageddon is still my fav tank reg...of Course its a brick.

#6 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think he would recommend that so that one could better push the airball bunker, not on account of the personal ergonomics. However, I'm just "spitballing" here.

#7 madsnipes

madsnipes

TechPB's Jailbot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

iinteresting, re:Yosh Rau.
makes sense why we dont see dropforwards on the field...
now is it for use as a stock to stabilize aim?

It is, the coach for a speedball team from my field always suggests the longest setup that you can find.
It makes it much easier to be accurate when your running and shooting
Modern airball has no reason to have a tight setup because you can push yourself into the bunker.
Plus with more guns becoming hoseless and requiring a low pressure tank, adjustable regulators are just as useful as they were before.

#32 "Dusty" of the Devil Dogs. Give us a like if you want - Devil Dogs Paintball

TechPBsig_zpsbc0cb057.jpg

#8 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

I was interested to hear Yosh Rau say in a recent interview that one of the first things he suggests to people to improve their play is lengthening their tank setup an inch or two. Not suggesting that there wouldn't be a market for even shorter tanks. I'm sure there would be.

That advice has been around since the original Dynasty Dysected video :lol:
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#9 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

An internal reg on a tank would be horrible for traveling paintballers since the TSA requires regs to be removed for air travel. Just a thought.

Edited by XGC_Cheevo, 19 June 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#10 Egomaniacal

Egomaniacal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

There's also a technical reason for why this wouldn't work well; the reg piston is constrained by the bottle threads, meaning the reg ratio would be crap. I don't see the bottle thread standard being changed any time soon.
eiπ = − 1

#11 iRubHits

iRubHits

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Would hate to be part of the first consumers that have to make up for the R&D costs.

#12 drg

drg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I suppose manufacturing would be difficult as well compared to the traditional bottle manufacturing.
Keep your pump hand strong!
PUMPPB.COM TIGHTSTICK - Custom LAPCO 1-piece underbore barrel! SALE!
PUMPPB.COM - Pump paintball forums
HawaiiPB.com - Paintball forums for the state of Hawaii
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos

#13 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

You will never be 9 headbands agg.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

OR...you could just buy a shorter tank? You wouldnt even be saving an inch of length man...

Posted Image

#14 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

You could just adjust your asa forwards or backwards a little.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#15 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

I could see where this could be a bad idea, what if your tank reg leaks oil into the tank? Can we say boom...
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#16 pShore

pShore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

lol. lots of good feedback.

I guess it makes sense why it isn't done...

Ego has the strongest argument of all.

#17 Silyputy

Silyputy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

i dont know i think if you wanted a smaller tank then get a smaller tank. The only up side i could see is that you could get a 70ci and a 68ci the same size thats about it.

If they talk shit, make them eat it.

#18 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

I could see where this could be a bad idea, what if your tank reg leaks oil into the tank? Can we say boom...

I don't see where this would be any different than the current systems of regs.  Oil will only be entering the tank due to operater error.  You still have to use a fill nipple which is the only entrance point for oil.

#19 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

interesting idea .... i'll have to think about it.

my biggest concern off the top of my head, is that how much smaller can you really go? you still have to have a fill nipple and burst disks, and then it has to attach to the gun somehow (threads?) .... that isnt much extra room compared to a modern myth or whatever.

i have always been in the school of thought of lighting long regs myself. have to give yourself room for you wrist to come down and around ....

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#20 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Why ever would you use oil on a tank reg ever? And how would it matter if the reg was more like a normal Ninja or something that was more in the bottle? Boom isn't good at all.

interesting idea .... i'll have to think about it.
my biggest concern off the top of my head, is that how much smaller can you really go? you still have to have a fill nipple and burst disks, and then it has to attach to the gun somehow (threads?) .... that isnt much extra room compared to a modern myth or whatever.
i have always been in the school of thought of lighting long regs myself. have to give yourself room for you wrist to come down and around ....

Think a Myth in external length, but a longer stem inside to get that Ninja consistency. Eh? Eh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users