• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Utterkaos94

Utterkaos94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

I went to play on Saturday, and while I had a good time, I got overheated and had pretty bad heat exhaustion. I tried to stay hydrated by drinking a lot on Friday and during playing. I brought a gallon jug of ice water and a bottle of Gatorade. I wore a wicking undershirt, jersey, elbow pads, knee pads, slider shorts, athletic shorts, and my paintball pants. Is there anything I can do to cool down between games? I would like to keep playing during the summer, but honestly it's not worth throwing up and almost passing out on my couch afterwards. Thanks

Edited by Utterkaos94, 17 June 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#2 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

Don't wear a jersey or athletic shorts. Wear a tshirt and your elbow pads along with your sliders and paintball pants. You should also hydrate a day or so in advance, not during.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#3 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Bring iced water and/or a frozen water bottle to cool yourself off.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#4 Utterkaos94

Utterkaos94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Don't wear a jersey or athletic shorts. Wear a tshirt and your elbow pads along with your sliders and paintball pants. You should also hydrate a day or so in advance, not during.

I did hydrate the day before, as well as during, and I had ice water.

Edited by Utterkaos94, 17 June 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#5 eightcoheed

eightcoheed

Amanda Bynes' lover.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Play In your Birthday Suit...duh

Haha, but seriously, dont wear so many layers. Just wear the pants, elbow pads and a tee, you'll be fine if you hydrate.

Proud member of the United States Air Force

#6 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Be hydrated before you play. That means drinkba gallon the day before you play as well. Be sure your mask breaths well. Dear lighter clothes. Ditch the jersey and undershirt for a cheap thrift shot T-shirt that you don't mind ruining, ditch the athletic shorts if you want, I only wear compression shorts under my paintball pants in addition to knee pads. If you need to, sit a game out to cool off and rest. On a hot day, it can take a lot out of you.

#7 Utterkaos94

Utterkaos94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I was trying to drink a lot during the day, but towards the end I felt like I was drinking so much because I was thirsty that it made me uncomfortable with how much water I had in me.

#8 Schuppert3

Schuppert3

Respect the BBN

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,011 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

move to alaska

yea I kept seeing banner ads for asianbeaver.com until I cleared my cache

Feedback +5/-0
Mod App

#9 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,318 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Pour ice water on your head and down your back between games along with doing everything else that's been suggested.

#10 SilentButDeadly

SilentButDeadly

I <3 old guns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

move to alaska

I like this one. I played yesterday, and it's just too damn hot for paintball. As far as I'm concerned, summer is the off season down here in Miami.

Try getting to the field as early as possible so you can avoid the hottest part of the day (early afternoon). You can also try and find a nice air-conditioned indoor field.
As seen on: PBreview IOG

#11 Cj R

Cj R

TechPB's Grazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

No jersey. Be your field's No Shirt Guy? If you aren't peeing every hour/ hour 1/2, you're not drinking enough. Don't be afraid to sit out a game or even two to strip off your gear and cool off + re hydrate.

Feedback http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=219021 2/0/0
The best customer service is the one you don't have to call in the first place.

#12 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sometimes, I don't bother with pants, and just use a T-shirt, Dickie Shorts, with my Elbow and Knee pads, It get's hot in Utah and I haven't had a problem yet playing in shorts.

#13 Cj R

Cj R

TechPB's Grazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

Sometimes, I don't bother with pants, and just use a T-shirt, Dickie Shorts, with my Elbow and Knee pads, It get's hot in Utah and I haven't had a problem yet playing in shorts.

If you're going to do take this advice, wear groin protection... Trust me..
Don't be afraid to play in booty shorts. :tup:

Edited by Cj R, 17 June 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#14 TippmannPlayer97

TippmannPlayer97

R.I.P Mitch Lucker 10, 20, 1984 11, 1, 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

Do you think fields would let you play shirtless? I would probably get snickered at being a large, jiggly guy but I wouldnt care, as long as im not dying from heat

I like loud, kicky poppets. I am the last of my people.

#15 AoSpades

AoSpades

I speak two languages: English and Common Sense

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned this yet.

A great way to beat the heat is by wearing a camel back. Fill half with ice and half with cold water and it should last you the majority of the day.

Playing full day scenarios that go from 7AM to 5PM like Oklahoma DDay, a camel back is a must and it gets me through the whole day without getting dehydrated.

Another thing you could do is not over exert yourself when you play. When you start breathing heavy take a second or use the next game to catch your breath by staying back a bit instead of running balls to the wall all day... Or simply use one game to refill, recoup and take a breather and go in the next game.

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#16 Ninjaafro

Ninjaafro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Move to Kansas City and play at jaegers paintball in a cave. Always 52 degrees in there

#17 TECHDP=)

TECHDP=)

I'm never online anymore.

• Players Club
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

Wear a regular shirt.
Buy cheap cargo pants and wear those.

#18 A&MBaller

A&MBaller

Sloths are the best animals evar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Whatever you do, don't wear a damn HK Jersey........

#19 cmc1367

cmc1367

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Move to Kansas City and play at jaegers paintball in a cave. Always 52 degrees in there

What if you want to play on one of the outdoor fields there? Actually this Saturday I was there with a buddy and wanted to go up top but no one else did b/c of how humid it was outside.

#20 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

first off, you need to understand that the more you suffer heat exhaustion, the more prone you are to getting it

The next thing, is to choose your clothing properly

I would first start with underarmor boxer briefs. An incredible amount of heat is generated around a man/woman genital area, and considering those are just below your abdomen when your intenstines, liver, and heart are located, this is where I would start. Heat rises, so if your groin area gets hot, your abdomen is next.

After that, I would strongly recommend wearing a long sleeve, light under armor (or similar) long sleeve shirt. This will evenly distribute sweat around your upper body as the fabric soaks up sweat, creating a wicking effect which cools your skin.

Then, choose a pair of cooler paintball pants, such as contact zeros. Also, many pro players cut out the liner inside of their paintball pants. This can help with heat and with weight.

After that, you simply need to make sure you arrive at the field hydrated. Hydration is something you need to get in front of, you can't "catch up" to. This means, if you show up dehydrated, you can't absorb more water than you are sweating at the last minute. You need to be ahead of it before you step on the field.

Also understand that some things make hydration harder. Caffeine and alcohol both rob your body of fluids

You should be pee'ing clear when you arrive at the field. If your urine looks like orange juice, you're already in deep trouble before you even started.

Its not uncommon, for me to urinate 3 to 5 times in the morning before I step foot on the field because I've already drank a half gallon of water the day before, and 1/3 gallon of water the morning of the game.

Clear urine = good
Dark urine = bad

#21 Cj R

Cj R

TechPB's Grazi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Honestly I wouldn't have thought that being hydrated an entire day before would effect the next day. I had always though that the body would regulate back down during the night. I always hydrate the morning of. I think I'll change up my routine now..

Posted Image

Edited by Cj R, 17 June 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#22 cmc1367

cmc1367

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Better even then starting the day before would just be to give up pop etc and drink a gallon of water everyday.

#23 Mzee

Mzee

Paintball Magnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

Start hydrating several days before you go play. Drink extra water and allow your body time to adjust. Gotta give all those cells time to uptake the water.

For me, I've found I play a lot cooler when I leave off the arm pads and gloves. Granted, I'm not a slider or a diver, so I don't worry about not having arm pads. If I appear to be sliding or diving, I am just falling with style. I've been amazed at how much cooler I feel just by leaving off the arm pads and gloves.

And to echo what someone else said, if you feel like you are starting to overheat, take a break, find some shade, drink some cold water, and sit until you cool down.

I played at OK D-Day a few years back and it took me 40 minutes to cool off during a mini-game. Take care of your body. It's only a game.
Er du tokig? >B-D

#24 Eskimo

Eskimo

Member #: 666 ( Seriously )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

A big tip, if possible, in between games get yourself in the shade.

Seems like a normal logical thought, but getting out of the sun in between games is insanely useful and will work wonders.
(Honestly if the field lacks for shade, bring an umbrella looks stoopid. Feels awesome.

If it is REALLY hot out, Wear your first layer, then toss on elbow pads over top and forget about the jersey. Jerseys can be like heat traps.

Dont be afraid to skip a game once and awhile, if you have played 3-4 games and your sweating buckets, take one off. drink the life juice (thats water) maybe eat a little snack and then prep for the game after. I have to sometimes Yell at team mates who think running 5-6 insertions in a row is a good thing. take 10 minutes and pause. then go back out.

Edited by Eskimo, 18 June 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Citrus Connection
Proudly Partnered With: PBL, TechPB, Pinokio Hoppers, HK·Army

#25 The_Economist

The_Economist

It's business time.

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Ditching my elbow pads and knee pads made a big difference in my heat management.

#26 joshjm500

joshjm500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

I tend to wear a nike dry fit shirt under my jersey no elbow pads compression shorts and my paintball pants. Then inbetween matches or if im taking a break i take off my jersey. Plus drink lots of watet

#27 Team Dynasty9

Team Dynasty9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Yea playing during the summer can suck ass cause of how hot it is. Why not just play night games? Thats what i do and its perfect.

#28 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Yea playing during the summer can suck ass cause of how hot it is. Why not just play night games? Thats what i do and its perfect.

Lol playing in the night is annoying, even with lighting. You can't see shit, especially where your paintballs are going. You'd need soccer/football field lights to make it not annoying. If you play indoors, well, that's a different story.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#29 Team Dynasty9

Team Dynasty9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Lol playing in the night is annoying, even with
lighting. You can't see shit, especially where your paintballs are going. You'd need soccer/football field
lights to make it not annoying. If you play indoors,
well, that's a different story.

Trust me i would love to ditch both ideas such as playing in the heat and at night and just stick to playing indoors but i havent seen an indoor paintball field in a while.

#30 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

Try making a vest out of those freezer pouches for injuries. That should help cool you down.
Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#31 pingo597

pingo597

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

This might sound weird but something I do to keep hydrated is I drink coconut water instead of Gatorade. It's super nutritious and helps keep you hydrated! :D

#32 G.prime

G.prime

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

This might sound weird but something I do to keep hydrated is I drink coconut water instead of Gatorade. It's super nutritious and helps keep you hydrated! :D

#33 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Lol playing in the night is annoying, even with lighting. You can't see shit, especially where your paintballs are going. You'd need soccer/football field lights to make it not annoying. If you play indoors, well, that's a different story.

Thats the fun of it.
RAWR?

#34 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Better even then starting the day before would just be to give up pop etc and drink a gallon of water everyday.

THIS!! +1 like crazy! I'm actually doing pretty good on this. I'm a sweet tea junkie and that's the one I'm having a hard time giving up but I've gotten myself down to just 1 glass a day and I've almost completely stopped drinking sodas. I've been drinking my calories and I need to stop so the new eating habits I've been working on will work.

Supreme and terrible Ra who maketh god and men tremble before Thee
I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile

#35 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Tell me more.

I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

#36 Paintballwashington

Paintballwashington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Watch mikes video called "ice cold paintball water" or something like that

#37 Cole N

Cole N

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

Don't wear sandana pants worst idea ever.

#38 pingo597

pingo597

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

Also stay away from salty snacks. .

Edited by pingo597, 21 June 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#39 pingo597

pingo597

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Tell me more.

Not sure if sarcasm or serious O.o

#40 obamabinlagn

obamabinlagn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

You need to just keep grinding every weekend. It may also help if you exercise throughout the week when it is cooler outside, during dusk or early in the morning. The key is to stay hydrated and eventually your body will get used to the heat.

Also try and wear a light jersey and pants because your sweat will evaporate very quickly off of your body if you skin is exposed which will cause you to lose water faster. Drink water slowly throughout the day because drinking water to quick will shock your body and make you throw up. Also after you are done playing for the day drink a Gatorade slowly because your body will need the electrolytes that it has lost.

#41 MikeBlahBlah

MikeBlahBlah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

I would first start with underarmor boxer briefs. An incredible amount of heat is generated around a man/woman genital area, and considering those are just below your abdomen when your intenstines, liver, and heart are located, this is where I would start. Heat rises, so if your groin area gets hot, your abdomen is next.

After that, I would strongly recommend wearing a long sleeve, light under armor (or similar) long sleeve shirt. This will evenly distribute sweat around your upper body as the fabric soaks up sweat, creating a wicking effect which cools your skin.

You should be pee'ing clear when you arrive at the field. If your urine looks like orange juice, you're already in deep trouble before you even started.

Clear urine = good
Dark urine = bad

And guys, make sure its the right type of underarmor! They do have different types! Some are for winter and are made to help insulate! Be careful.

When your not on the field. Place a cold rag or ice bag on the back of your neck. It's the fastest way to cool your internal body temperature(Other than jumping into a pool of ice) because it cools the large amounts of blood that is pumped through your neck which then circulates through your body.
They sell cooling bandanas that go around your neck that retain water, You could even wear them on the field while you play. I used them when I would have soccer tournaments in the middle of summer. They work great.

#42 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

im suprised no one mentioned this yet, buy 2 escorts for the day and tell them to fan you. :dodgy:

Lulzjustacat.png

#43 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

I went to play on Saturday, and while I had a good time, I got overheated and had pretty bad heat exhaustion. I tried to stay hydrated by drinking a lot on Friday and during playing. I brought a gallon jug of ice water and a bottle of Gatorade. I wore a wicking undershirt, jersey, elbow pads, knee pads, slider shorts, athletic shorts, and my paintball pants. Is there anything I can do to cool down between games? I would like to keep playing during the summer, but honestly it's not worth throwing up and almost passing out on my couch afterwards. Thanks

Ditch the nonessential pads and clothes.

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#44 elraido

elraido

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

Tshirt, slider shorts, and pants. All you need for clothing.

#45 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

This might sound weird but something I do to keep hydrated is I drink coconut water instead of Gatorade. It's super nutritious and helps keep you hydrated! :D/>

Tell me more.

Not sure if sarcasm or serious O.o

I'm serious. I'm a heavy guy with asthma. I need to keep heat under control and this sounds like kind of a better alternative to Gatorade. That shit has a bunch of sugar in it.

#46 imnothim

imnothim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

When your not on the field. Place a cold rag or ice bag on the back of your neck. It's the fastest way to cool your internal body temperature(Other than jumping into a pool of ice) because it cools the large amounts of blood that is pumped through your neck which then circulates through your body.
They sell cooling bandanas that go around your neck that retain water, You could even wear them on the field while you play. I used them when I would have soccer tournaments in the middle of summer. They work great.
[/quote]
^This. It's actually something i learned in first aid years ago. Not only affects the circulatory system but the central nervous system as well due to the large bundle of nerves traveling down the spine to the rest of the body. It will help slow your breathing and calm you down if your shaky from exhaustion.

#47 xincognitopbx

xincognitopbx

Ripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Depending on how much pain you can take, just go with a sleeveless shirt and elbow pads and paintball pants. Don't forget a towel because no one likes paint on their skin if they get shot on their chest/ upper arm.

Also, 2 gallons of water, start pouring them on yourself after your first game. Evaporative cooling feels nice.

But the Ego 11 is shiny. :(

Dosent the Ego 11 only come in dust colours?

Feedback 2/0/0

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users