Photo

Looking to buy my first marker

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Which marker would you recommend? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Which marker would you recommend for a new guy?

1. Azodin Blitz (8 votes [18.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

2. Spyder Fenix (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

3. Smart Parts Ion (4 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

4. Other (29 votes [67.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FloridaGuy95

FloridaGuy95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hey guys, so I'm pretty much new to paintball (I've only played twice) and I'm looking to buy my first marker. I already have a VL Triton II that was a gift, and it handled good enough at short range until the guys with rails, slg, empire axes showed up. I got pinned and couldn't get myself out of the jam with a short range semi-auto. I've done my homework and narrowed it down to the Azodin Blitz, Spyder Fenix and Smart Parts Ion (although I'm doubting the Ion after watching Mike Phillips' video on Smart Parts). I don't need anything fancy, just the ability to switch to ramp mode to get myself out of trouble and to drop back. I don't want to spend over $200 for the marker because I still gotta pick up an electric loader and HPA tank. Any advice on any of these guns (or even different ones) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you." - Steve Prefontaine

#2 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

Even at the 200.00 range there are a lot better on the market. The Blitz and Fenix are pretty much the same marker. The Ion is not a bad marker, but I recommend the Vibe instead. Punisherpb has them new for about 180.00. They ran out of the used Vibes. But you can also pick up used Mid range markers in the 200.00 range.

Edited by Wolfe, 20 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#3 Ninjaafro

Ninjaafro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

I was in the same situation like you a few months ago. I did my reseach and found out I should go used. I had 400 dollars for everything(mask,loader,tank,gun). I found a lot of good deals on eBay for 350 dollars. I found one that had an angel a1, halo too, and a brand new 68/4500. Look around used and see if you can find anything. For 200 new or less I would go with the envy for around 180-200.

#4 cmc1367

cmc1367

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Definitely look used and see what you can find but otherwise I would go with the Envy, but honestly if you were set on going new I would maybe try to scrounge up 50 more and go with the Extcy (or just get a used Extcy which you can at that 200 mark most likely), and then get a used hopper and tank (which will hopefully offset that extra 50 if you go new).

#5 cmc1367

cmc1367

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Though at the same time as Im saying go used check with your local field that you will be playing at and see if they offer any deals if you buy a gun from them. For example I bought a gun from my local field and I got 4 months of free field pass (includes all day air etc). This is normally 15 a time and already been at least 10 times which saved me 150 plus, and this is more then I would of saved going used in my case (still 2 months left on it so total will save around 300 or so).

#6 Lotus

Lotus

Tech Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

I strongly recommend one of these three markers:

GoG Envy
GoG eXTCy
Proto Rail (not the reflex rail)

They are all $200-$250, and they're all way better than what you're looking at. The eXTCy is really my favorite beginner marker and if you could swing the extra $50 for it, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Posted Image

#7 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Go with the eXTCy if you're thinking about getting the eNVy. And as of now, no matter what you hear from other people about GoG being smart parts, it doesn't matter. The eXTCy is an ion but with all the stuff the ion should of had. Mikes complaints were that they were lacking. The eXTCy fixed that. It has a good trigger, on off asa, clamping feedneck, and decently honed barrel, as well as a bolt out back system. This, along with the Proto Rail, are the best markers in the sub 300 price range new.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#8 FloridaGuy95

FloridaGuy95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

Wow thanks for the input! It looks like I'm going to go with the eXCTy. I did some research and I liked what I saw from it. I have a job, so it's not like I can't afford the more expensive stuff, I just didn't want to have to pay more if I didn't have to.

Edited by FloridaGuy95, 20 June 2013 - 01:57 PM.

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you." - Steve Prefontaine

#9 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hey guys, so I'm pretty much new to paintball (I've only played twice) and I'm looking to buy my first marker. I already have a VL Triton II that was a gift, and it handled good enough at short range until the guys with rails, slg, empire axes showed up. I got pinned and couldn't get myself out of the jam with a short range semi-auto. I've done my homework and narrowed it down to the Azodin Blitz, Spyder Fenix and Smart Parts Ion (although I'm doubting the Ion after watching Mike Phillips' video on Smart Parts). I don't need anything fancy, just the ability to switch to ramp mode to get myself out of trouble and to drop back. I don't want to spend over $200 for the marker because I still gotta pick up an electric loader and HPA tank. Any advice on any of these guns (or even different ones) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

range has to do with velocity and the consistency of output pressure, and the regulation of the pressure. you were probably shooting at a lower velocity while the others were closer to the field limit. hence the difference of range.
also i would advise you to keep it in semi practically at all times and not rely on ramping, as most walk on fields don't allow it unless you're on a speedball field or some other exception. if you really need to put pressure back down at some people learn to walk the trigger as you can control your bps and wont over shoot. I definitely agree with the others about looking at GoG envy, 2011 rail ( non reflex), and the GoG eXTCy. I've shot both the rail and eXTCy and they both have their ups and downs. personally i'd take the rail but i really like that the eXTCy has an on/off ASA and is easier to switch modes through but does feel bulkier than a rail and since the rail feels much slimmer and nicer in my hands and I leave it in semi all the time anyways, that's why I'd pick the rail over the eXTCy.

Lulzjustacat.png

#10 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

with a total budget of $400 i would buy everything used, halo too ~ $50 68/4500 ~ $100 that leaves about $250 for a marker. there's a lot of great guns used for that price.

Edited by fumbimo, 20 June 2013 - 05:23 PM.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#11 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Dangerous power E1 with clamping feedneck

Buy one of these if you want a cheap but nice electro!!!
DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#12 a5fan

a5fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

if your going to play more woods ball get a gog g1 (sp1) with a apex and Empire Prophecy Z2. performs great  

#13 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

if your going to play more woods ball get a gog g1 (sp1) with a apex and Empire Prophecy Z2. performs great  

It wouldn't matter what style of game he plays.

#14 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Used minis, or used eXTCys. And no you cannot switch from semi to ramping on the fly easily. Only on shockwaved minis can you just hold the trigger while turning on and switch quickly with the trigger
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#15 SplatSplatOrange

SplatSplatOrange

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

extcy go from semi to burst to full auto in mode 8 i think

<p>G6R Red/black Ninja slp 45/45 Grillz Spire
Member of Chi-Town-Rampage

#16 Justin B.

Justin B.

One Nation D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

GOG envy. It has modes and is a great first gun. If you are willing to buy used off of the B/S/T on here you can get some good deals on better markers.

One Nation

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#17 Duck ON Quack

Duck ON Quack

Save a rock, Throw a Mini

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

GoG eXTCY is the best marker below $350 IMO...

These are the markers i would stay away from, just from my personal experience. You should know i am the tech that everyone runs to fix there shit at the field.

-Azodin Blitz (This was my first when i was introduced to the sport two years ago, it broke within the second day I used it)

--STOCK ions (to get an ion to work like it should, you have to end up dumping a lot more many into after market parts, for a first gun, this isnt convenient)

---Any Spyder out there (Spyders are my pet peeve, how they market and the crappy parts they put in there guns is a disgrace to the industry)

----Minis... As you can tell in my member title, this little thing has caused me very "mini" headaches... (This was the third marker i owned, i thought empire had fixed all the problems in there 2nd gen mini that they had in there 1st gen mini, i was wrong... the 2nd gen i had fucked up electronically just like the 1st gen one i previously owned.)

I own an eXTCY as a back up marker. A little over 3 months ago one of the refs at my field gave me an incredible deal on his Axe, he sold it to me for $250. If you can find an Axe for around $250, you'll be a lot happier. 

I actually find playing with the eXTCY quite fun though. It's really fun to shoot it in the woods or on the airball field. Make sure to READ THE MANUAL when you get it thoroughly, take care of the marker, lube it, clean it, and it will last you a long time.

Good luck!

there was this one time, when i cared what you thought.

oh... wait. No there wasn't.

#18 jakesd1995

jakesd1995

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

If you play woodsball still get a airball gun

#19 Skinny_ev

Skinny_ev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Well i would watch this and then make your own judgement

#20 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Rail>extcy>envy>e1
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#21 Duck ON Quack

Duck ON Quack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

Rail>extcy>envy>e1

Sorry. The eXTCY is a better buy.

#22 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I say that the rail=eXTCy because it's all a matter of preference, although I personally prefer the eXTCy.

#23 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Rail>extcy>envy>e1

Sorry. The eXTCY is a better buy.
I said rail>extcy because IMO the extcy trigger sucks, it looks bad and feels crazy cheap since it's all plastic, and for me is harder to work on because I've used dye guns before... That's just my opinion though
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#24 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Again, preference. I think the Rail trigger sucks a tuna can chode, and maintainence is like a step longer for the rail.

#25 Ninjaafro

Ninjaafro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

What ever you do. Don't get an angel for your first gun.

#26 Thesaint258

Thesaint258

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

you should go with the Azodin Kaos or the Azodin Blitz 

#27 Duck ON Quack

Duck ON Quack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

you should go with the Azodin Kaos or the Azodin Blitz 

Yeah... if you want to take a 50/50 chance of getting a broken gun...

Azodin has really bad quality issues that they refuse to fix. Stay away from Azodin gear as much as possible.

#28 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

Not really, they just had a messup due to them being busy and whatnot. All the 4 azodin markers I have purchased had worked great out of the box; it was when I personally accidentally fucked up putting them back together was when they stopped working.
Better than a spyder, neither as good as a gog.

#29 Duck ON Quack

Duck ON Quack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Well with my personal experience with them, I've seen a lot of boards malfunction on them, in The 2011 Blitz and the 2013 Blitz Evo. There are a lot of players at my field that use them, and i think all of them have had problems with the boards... Most of them being vision (eye) problems.

If you get one that works, you'll be a lot happier than you would be with a Spyder. I don't really care about Spyder's quality, but there marketing scheme is a fucking disgrace to the paintball industry. So stay away from them if you if you don't want to encourage that bullshit.

Trust me though. Save up the extra bling and get a GoG marker, and thank me and OC later. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users