29 replies to this topic

#1 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

I really want to play pump, i have played several games with a pump gun and for my rec play i would enjoy it a lot. with a budget of $450 i would like to make a pump. open class. clamping feed neck. on off Asa . basically all the features of something like an Empire sniper but completely personalized. how should i go about planning this?

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#2 DasJaco

DasJaco

TIGER STYLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Buy a cocker body and get to work buying all the internals and externals.

Lakeville Ambush #3

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Rotor

Ninja 77/4500

#3 FrankW

FrankW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

There's a ton of different cocker bodies out there. Start looking around and see what you like. The standard for pump kits is the ccm deluxe. Keep in mind that pump kits for mini bodies are generally more expensive. Most choices are purely personal preference. I would also consider buying some sort of barrel kit if you don't already have one... roll-outs suck... Just start looking at stuff and ask questions! :)

#4 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

There's a ton of different cocker bodies out there. Start looking around and see what you like. The standard for pump kits is the ccm deluxe. Keep in mind that pump kits for mini bodies are generally more expensive. Most choices are purely personal preference. I would also consider buying some sort of barrel kit if you don't already have one... roll-outs suck... Just start looking at stuff and ask questions! :)

thanks. i didnt even know pump kits were available for mini's. i do need to buy a barrel kit as well. all of that in the budget hopefully.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#5 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Your approach will depend on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want the easiest solution? The most custom marker? The least expensive marker? Something else? The easiest answer, by far, would be to buy someone else's already-assembled marker. Next would be to buy a working cocker and a compatible pump kit. At the other end of the spectrum, you could source almost every component separately. I started out thinking I wanted to source everything separately, but it quickly became clear that doing so would cost too much, a lot of it in shipping charges. I ended up buying a complete marker I found on the PBN BST.

Half the fun of cockers/snipers is that there are so many options available for just about every part. The BST forum here, and those at PBN, MCB, and Custom Cockers are great places to get an idea of what's available. The WGP parts section of Paintball Gateway is another good resource, as is CCM's eBay store.

#6 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

I prefer a half block, they are lighter, better balanced and there is no bevertail or cocking rod banging into your mask.

With your budget, I built a great half block pump. Starting with a Sanchez Machine kit for about $300. These are custom made in California, made well, light, solid, quiet, no farting and easy to service, point well too. Really a nice marker. Comes as a kit that needs compleation, so you can choose some nice parts you like to make it your own.

Then I add a CP regulator and on/off ASA ( about $100), grip panels another 10 bucks. With your budget you will have another $40 for a barrel. A lot of good choices in this range, I preffer a "one piece" design, as the pump handle makes it hard to get backs off, when they get stuck. CP 10 or 12" one piece .685, Lurker .678 14", Critical .684 14" or Lapco 14" .681 are all good choices. If you can find a few more buck for a better barrel system get a Deadlywind Fibur. It is a "one piece" design that uses Freak inserts, very ligh, very quiet and you can get a 10" or 12" barrel, which I prefer to 14" on a pump.

Again, this will make for a great Custom Made marker. Sanchez Machine are made in Southern California. I have one, I think it is only second to a CCM, which is better, it cost another 250, worth it.

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

#7 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

Your approach will depend on what you're trying to accomplish. Do you want the easiest solution? The most custom marker? The least expensive marker? Something else? The easiest answer, by far, would be to buy someone else's already-assembled marker. Next would be to buy a working cocker and a compatible pump kit. At the other end of the spectrum, you could source almost every component separately. I started out thinking I wanted to source everything separately, but it quickly became clear that doing so would cost too much, a lot of it in shipping charges. I ended up buying a complete marker I found on the PBN BST.

Half the fun of cockers/snipers is that there are so many options available for just about every part. The BST forum here, and those at PBN, MCB, and Custom Cockers are great places to get an idea of what's available. The WGP parts section of Paintball Gateway is another good resource, as is CCM's eBay store.

im looking for something that would be really custom, i would also need a barrel kit within the budget. i would prefer something that would actually be a bit of work, i've always been pretty hands on. im thinking now that the best way for me to start would be to thoroughly learn everything about the mechanics of autocockers.

58pk.jpg

#8 FrankW

FrankW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've found that, like most things, cockers are generally worth more parted out than they are assembled. So once you'd decided what parts you want to go with, I would suggest trying to find a complete marker that's pretty close to what you want and then customize it from there. Then sell off the parts you don't end up using. It'll be way cheaper than buying each part separately. I think Old Dude was saying the same thing.

From a technical standpoint pumped autocockers are pretty simple. You can get into the details of springing and farting, etc... but slapping one together that works is not too difficult.

Here's some suggestions as a starting point.
1. A 2k+ body
2. CCM deluxe pump kit and CCM trigger frame w/ autotrigger cam (take a look at the different pump handles: standard, ez, t-grip, carbon fiber)
3. CCM lower tube internals (really standard internals are fine, but these will help lighten the pump stroke without you having to search for different springs... possibly a later upgrade)
4. Any decent reg will do. I've been using WGP black magic regs just because I like the look. Recharge rate isn't really an issue.

You might consider a slider frame, but I don't have any experience with autotriggers on sliders. I'm assuming you want autotrigger, since the Empire has it. I honestly rarely autotrigger. I have it just to have it... :)

For barrels, my go to is the deadlywind fibur with a set of freak inserts. There's a bunch of other barrel systems out there, but I like freak inserts because there are so many barrels that use them.. including ones that you get bored to fit them.

#9 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

I know I would be talked into playing speedball with it so I would like to have an auto trigger :P thank you for all the help guys! Really appreciate it!

58pk.jpg

#10 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

a bit of an update. i will most likely just save up a couple hundred more and try to go for a used t2 + barrel kit.

58pk.jpg

#11 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

a bit of an update. i will most likely just save up a couple hundred more and try to go for a used t2 + barrel kit.

YOUíRE A SMART GUY!!!!!! - The CCM may be more expensive, it is the best value.

While I suggested a an SM-1 as a custom in your price range, and still think is a great choice for a custom is your original budget, the CCM T2 is in a different class.

I have an SM-1 and a couple of T2s, so I shoot and service them on a regular basis, aside from the smoothness of the pump stroke and the crispness of the trigger, the workmanship and engineering is better for the Chipley. Additionally, while Luis Sanchez is a nice guy and does a good job of taking care of his customers, CCM has Melissa (Mel) and Rod, they is great and deliver a level of customer service that is in a class of itís own.

Again, good choice - welcome to pump!

Good Luck!

My Markers:

Polished Silver CCM T2, Polished Black CCM T2, Dust Black CCM T2, Black Bob Long MVP, Dust Back Sanchez Machine SM-1, Polished Silver CCI Phantom, Dust Black Empire AXE. 

#12 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

YOU'RE A SMART GUY!!!!!! - The CCM may be more expensive, it is the best value.

While I suggested a an SM-1 as a custom in your price range, and still think is a great choice for a custom is your original budget, the CCM T2 is in a different class.

I have an SM-1 and a couple of T2s, so I shoot and service them on a regular basis, aside from the smoothness of the pump stroke and the crispness of the trigger, the workmanship and engineering is better for the Chipley. Additionally, while Luis Sanchez is a nice guy and does a good job of taking care of his customers, CCM has Melissa (Mel) and Rod, they is great and deliver a level of customer service that is in a class of it's own.

Again, good choice - welcome to pump!

Good Luck!

haha thanks for the welcome. tbh i had so much fun playing pump. i need to finish my gear in terms of padding/clothing and a tank, then its my pump. if needs by i would be willing to sell my halo too and 2006 ego to help with a t2. they are just so damn nice i don't want to settle for anything less.

58pk.jpg

#13 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yes. Sell space guns. Aquire pumps. Winning.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#14 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

from a 16 year old too :P

58pk.jpg

#15 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Starting early I see. Good choice. Also, enjoy the left over money you'll have after not shooting a case or two every outing.

#16 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Starting early I see. Good choice. Also, enjoy the left over money you'll have after not shooting a case or two every outing.

yeah thats honestly one of the biggest things that is attracting me to playing pump. with my "space gun" its hard not to shoot a lot of paint. i could easily last a solid 8-10 hours of playing with half a case of paint. because for me in Canada that is the biggest problem. i have 2 outdoor fields that i can go to, they charge $100 and $120 per case. indoor fields charge upwards of $150. some all the way to $275 per case. it sucks so much. anyways first thing is first. i need a damn job :/. so i can finish buying my gear,(tank, pads, pants) then comes the t2.

58pk.jpg

#17 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Half a case is still overkill, I usually play hopper ball and a bag will usually last me all day. Once you get a feel for pump, you'll find yourself using less and less paint.

#18 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

I hope so. Being able to play effectively on a bag of paint for a whole day would be amazing.

58pk.jpg

#19 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Half a case is still overkill, I usually play hopper ball and a bag will usually last me all day. Once you get a feel for pump, you'll find yourself using less and less paint.

if it matters to you at all. i got a job at McDonald's today. will be joining the pump world very soon :D

58pk.jpg

#20 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Awesome.

#21 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

Just a Few pumps on MCB (I found these in five minutes)
Fully upped 2k+ slab, will shoot as well as any pump out there
My link
Some minied and half blocked bodys, good projects
My link

I would get:
Whatever body makes you happy
CCM frame
Good reg (AKA,CCM, CP)
Lurker barrel (40 bucks tight bore, so nice)
Any good ASA
Any bolt
CCM Lowers
Ego feed neck
CCM auto trigger

MCB BST is your friend, so many pump goodies.
For 450, you could build something really nice if you hunt around used. You could also get a used CCM S5 for that which will shoot just as smooth as any t2 at the cost of Weight and efficiency.

Cattle die, kinsmen die all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#22 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

My link
My link

I would get:
CCM frame
Good reg (AKA,CCM, CP)
Any good ASA
Any bolt
CCM Lowers
Ego feed neck
CCM auto trigger

For 450, you could build something really nice if you hunt around used. You could also get a used CCM S5 for that which will shoot just as smooth as any t2 at the cost of Weight and efficiency.

thanks for the input, i have looked at the s5. i know for sure i want a half/mid block. the t2 is just an awesome pump gun in terms of performance and appearance which does matter to me. if i am going to spend $400+ on a marker i want to enjoy all aspects of it. even if it means spending a bit more. unless by some miracle i can get my hands on a j12 i will be going for a t2. there are some used dustblack t2's floating around for $450. i will most likely go for one of those.

58pk.jpg

#23 TheAlmostPanda

TheAlmostPanda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

My link
My link

I would get:
CCM frame
Good reg (AKA,CCM, CP)
Any good ASA
Any bolt
CCM Lowers
Ego feed neck
CCM auto trigger

thanks for the input, i have looked at the s5. i know for sure i want a half/mid block. the t2 is just an awesome pump gun in terms of performance and appearance which does matter to me. if i am going to spend $400+ on a marker i want to enjoy all aspects of it. even if it means spending a bit more. unless by some miracle i can get my hands on a j12 i will be going for a t2. there are some used dustblack t2's floating around for $450. i will most likely go for one of those.

Good man. Tell us how it goes!

Cattle die, kinsmen die all men are mortal.
Words of praise, will never perish
nor a noble name.
- The Havamal

jacket for sale

#24 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

My link
My link

I would get:
CCM frame
Good reg (AKA,CCM, CP)
Any good ASA
Any bolt
CCM Lowers
Ego feed neck
CCM auto trigger

Good man. Tell us how it goes!

im one to think and plan far ahead. wont be for a couple months at least. but will do. after my pump i will be going for a camera. most likely a contour HD. definitely will be uploading some videos of it.

58pk.jpg

#25 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

CCM's are great, but really they aren't much better then any other well made sniper with a good pump kit.

I'd just get a cheaper sniper, but it really is a matter of opinion.

#26 FrankW

FrankW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

CCM's are great, but really they aren't much better then any other well made sniper with a good pump kit.

I'd just get a cheaper sniper, but it really is a matter of opinion.

I agree with this. You'd shoot just as many people with a good pumped sniper. It's mostly just personal preference.

#27 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

preformace wise i understand there wont be much of a difference, but the t2 is just so sleek and sexy, i feel like if i get any other pump ill just still have a craving for one and regret not waiting for one. it will probably be a couple of months, i hope to be able to afford it and the rest of my gear around the end of august. but ill let you guys know and there definetely will be some pictures and maybe a vid or two.

also if you guys could check the link in my sig. bewarned. several massive pictures. if i knew what i should try to sell it for that would be helpful. money would go towards a t2.

Edited by fumbimo, 27 June 2013 - 10:42 AM.

58pk.jpg

#28 David A.

David A.

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

from a 16 year old too tongue.gif

My 16 year old son has given up on his ETEK 3 AM and now pumps exclusively...he has become a better player and has more fun too. 

My Markers:

#29 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

from a 16 year old too tongue.gif

My 16 year old son has given up on his ETEK 3 AM and now pumps exclusively...he has become a better player and has more fun too. 

i hope to do the same, well i will be playing pump exclusively as i am selling my only other marker to help me afford a t2, ill have enough for one with barrel kit in a couple of weeks!

58pk.jpg

#30 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=221252

58pk.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users