9 replies to this topic

#1 PieCars

PieCars

Time to nut up or shut up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Alright before any of you say "Sell ya paintball stuff, ain't nobody got time (or money) fo dat in collij!"

I plan on playing on the club paintball team. The RPI Engineers, or Redhawks, or whatever they're called lol. The school partially funds the club, so that means I'm not paying as much each time we ball.

Anyway, I'm thinking I should have a super reliable (and relatively low maintenance) setup, because I want to play by the rules and that means no keeping my gear in my room. So I won't exactly be maintaining it all the time (probably only when I'm on the field.)

My current setup is a MacDev Drone DX, Pinokio, and 68/45. I have, of course, the pack and jersey and everything else already. We're focusing on hardware here. My main concern is that, on the field, it just doesn't feel reliable. It gives me an iffy vibe. My friend loves it, but maybe the gun or loader just doesn't like me. Sometimes the pinokio doesn't feed, and I have to turn it off and back on to get it to work. Even with fresh batteries. I don't want to have this problem when I'm playing 5v5 in the NCPA...

Maybe it's just an issue of my loader, I'm the second or third owner, but what do you guys think? I personally prefer poppits, and before I got the Drone, the Etek 3 never chopped a single ball. Maybe that's just lucky, or maybe that's cause the Etek was capped at 15.4 bps while the Drone has no built in cap. I chop (not barrel breaks, bolt chop) when I go full auto (eyes on) to empty my last 100 paintballs of the day in the chrono station. Even with my friend's rotor. I don't know what the problem is, I have plenty of air when I shoot it. I think my dwell is set to about 9 ms.

I'm really up in the air right now, and I want to get this all sorted out before I go off to college and start playing.

TL;DR, debating whether or not to sell what I have now and look for a new gun+loader combo, a pretty open mind but it needs to be same mid-range level for college tournament play.

Edited by PieCars, 22 June 2013 - 11:11 AM.

My Feedback 4/0/0

#2 Tick

Tick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Trade for Vice or Axe, and trade your loader + $ to get a Z2 or Rotor.

PayPal Verified | Over 300 + eBay transactions| 10/0/0

#3 syllabuz

syllabuz

Just Keepin' It Real...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

My current setup is a MacDev Drone DX, Pinokio, and 68/45. I have, of course, the pack and jersey and everything else already. We're focusing on hardware here. My main concern is that, on the field, it just doesn't feel reliable. It gives me an iffy vibe. My friend loves it, but maybe the gun or loader just doesn't like me. Sometimes the pinokio doesn't feed, and I have to turn it off and back on to get it to work. Even with fresh batteries. I don't want to have this problem when I'm playing 5v5 in the NCPA...

Maybe it's just an issue of my loader, I'm the second or third owner, but what do you guys think? I personally prefer poppits, and before I got the Drone, the Etek 3 never chopped a single ball. Maybe that's just lucky, or maybe that's cause the Etek was capped at 15.4 bps while the Drone has no built in cap. I chop (not barrel breaks, bolt chop) when I go full auto (eyes on) to empty my last 100 paintballs of the day in the chrono station. Even with my friend's rotor. I don't know what the problem is, I have plenty of air when I shoot it. I think my dwell is set to about 9 ms.

Im pretty sure the DX has capped and uncapped settings for semi and PSP.
If your having breech ball breaks with 2 different hoppers, reset your board to factory and start from there.

POS

#4 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

all i would do is trade hoppers. a rotor/z2/spire are all very easy to clean and maintain.as far as the chopping the Drone is a great marker and definitely should not be breaking/chopping balls at all the problem could be that your hopper is feeding with too much force, try lowering the speed of your hopper? you should also check to make sure your eyes are working as-well as your detents.

this should help

Edited by fumbimo, 22 June 2013 - 12:43 PM.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#5 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,134 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

If you want reliability, I would go with something like an Alien Invasion. Incredibly reliable and great shooting guns for the price. Maintenance shouldn't be much of a concern. The owner recommends doing service on the marker only once or twice a year.

As for a loader, I would get something like a Rotor or Z2.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#6 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

My drone has never gone down or gave me any issues, EVER but if you want to get a poppit, get an etek 4. It's loud as hell but you could take a freaking shit on it and it would be fine and shooting 290 fps
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Dye Rotor, Ninja Pro 68/45

#7 J manwill

J manwill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

If you have the money, I would go with a high end planet gun. If you are looking to stay in the mid range, I'd go with the axe. Spires are really soft on paint as well.

#8 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'd just buy or trade for a used Prophecy/Rotor/Spire and call it a day. Drones have a default board setting of 12.5 semi. Reset it the board and test it out again.

Save the money to play more unless something goes down.

#9 PieCars

PieCars

Time to nut up or shut up

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

It turns out the hopper was the issue, guess it was just low on batteries or something because I just went out today to do a shooting video to sell the Drone DX (with new batteries in the DX and the Pinokio) and now I almost want to keep it! But I'm gonna look for a nice etek 4 or ego 9 or 10ish. Hopefully I can get a nice red one :D The good part about this summer is I'm working again, so I'll have some spare cash to buy some paintball stuff with.

Thanks for your advice guys!

My Feedback 4/0/0

#10 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 02:18 AM

It turns out the hopper was the issue, guess it was just low on batteries or something because I just went out today to do a shooting video to sell the Drone DX (with new batteries in the DX and the Pinokio) and now I almost want to keep it! But I'm gonna look for a nice etek 4 or ego 9 or 10ish. Hopefully I can get a nice red one :D/> The good part about this summer is I'm working again, so I'll have some spare cash to buy some paintball stuff with.

Thanks for your advice guys!

I wouldnt get rid of a Drone for any Ego older than the 11 but it's your gun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users