• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

I like to play minecraft on pc and thats the only game i play besides CSS. I want to be able to run minecraft at far or normal smoothly.This is my cart so far and I got it from Duncan's video on building a $350 gaming pc.Could you tell me what else I need? Could I take the DVD/CD driver out of my current computers and would they work with the pc I am going to build.

http://www.amazon.co...ml/ref=gno_cart

Edited by zecrom_89, 29 June 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#2 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

You can't link your shopping cart.  Also screw any $350 PC tutorials, you just aren't going to get quality products.  Most PC's that are made for office stuff can handel CSS and Minecraft with a $50 Graphics card installed.  You would be better off just buying a computer, at least that way you get warranty if the PSU blows and takes everything down with it.

I used to play CSS and Minecraft on my $400 Pentium D 905 computer with a $50 9400 GT.

Also this is a double post, I reported the other one so the mods can take care of it.  In the meantime you might want to edit the other one so people know to only post in this one.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 29 June 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#3 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

You can't link your shopping cart.  Also screw any $350 PC tutorials, you just aren't going to get quality products.  Most PC's that are made for office stuff can handel CSS and Minecraft with a $50 Graphics card installed.  You would be better off just buying a computer, at least that way you get warranty if the PSU blows and takes everything down with it.

I used to play CSS and Minecraft on my $400 Pentium D 905 computer with a $50 9400 GT.

Also this is a double post, I reported the other one so the mods can take care of it.  In the meantime you might want to edit the other one so people know to only post in this one.

Can I buy any GPU and connect it to my current pc?

#4 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

What PC is it? Different PC's have different connections, different cases, etc

#5 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

What PC is it? Different PC's have different connections, different cases, etc

http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c00471049

That is my current PC. It is ancient but it actually runs pretty fast for how old it is. It opens Chrome faster than my mom $700 toshiba laptop.I was looking at the page and I was wondering if i could just buy a case, a APU (GPU and CPU combined), a power supply, and mother board and reuse the hard drive, 4gb ram and DVD/CD rom player.

#6 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Ok, you could get just a GPU, but it would have to be small.  Pre-built computers have bottom of the barrel PSU's and any average or high end GPU will quite literally make the PSU blow up, taking down half your computer from the surge.

If you want to upgrade your PC, you would need a new motherboard to start.  Now, you got very lucky that the mother board right now is ATX sized, so you won't need a new case unless you have issues fitting a gpu inside.

Your current RAM is DDR, which is so past generation that I don't think you can even buy it.  You will need DDR3 Memory.

Now you need a CPU.  Forget the APU, they are for office stuff, not gaming.  The APU is made for Microsoft word and Internet Explorer, just so you get an image on your screen.

Then you can get away with a $50 GPU.

The hardrive uses a SATA connection (very lucky once again) so you can re use that.  I am pretty sure the CD ROM is SATA but not sure.  If not, it is a $20 piece.

Now with all this new stuff, that crappy PSU ain't gonna cut it.  You will need that.

This is why I went from thinking about upgrading my old PC and decided to build my own.  If you can't get the power you want in a $50 GPU, you pretty much need a new computer.  If you want to build a computer, give me your budget and I'll try my best.  If you just want a GPU, I can do that too.

Edited by The Bacon Man, 30 June 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#7 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Ok, you could get just a GPU, but it would have to be small.  Pre-built computers have bottom of the barrel PSU's and any average or high end GPU will quite literally make the PSU blow up, taking down half your computer from the surge.

If you want to upgrade your PC, you would need a new motherboard to start.  Now, you got very lucky that the mother board right now is ATX sized, so you won't need a new case unless you have issues fitting a gpu inside.

Your current RAM is DDR, which is so past generation that I don't think you can even buy it.  You will need DDR3 Memory.

Now you need a CPU.  Forget the APU, they are for office stuff, not gaming.  The APU is made for Microsoft word and Internet Explorer, just so you get an image on your screen.

The hardrive uses a SATA connection (very lucky once again) so you can re use that.  I am pretty sure the CD ROM is SATA but not sure.  If not, it is a $20 piece.

Now with all this new stuff, that crappy PSU ain't gonna cut it.  You will need that.

This is why I went from thinking about upgrading my old PC and decided to build my own.  If you can't get the power you want in a $50 GPU, you pretty much need a new computer.  If you want to build a computer, give me your budget and I'll try my best.  If you just want a GPU, I can do that too.

So if I bought a mother board,power supply,and a GPU I would be golden? I think I would need a new CPU too. I bought new ram a couple months ago off ebay. I don't know what brand it is or anything but it works pretty well. Could you recommend parts that could b e used to upgrade my current pc?

#8 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

So if I bought a mother board,power supply,and a GPU I would be golden? I think I would need a new CPU too. I bought new ram a couple months ago off ebay. I don't know what brand it is or anything but it works pretty well. Could you recommend parts that could b e used to upgrade my current pc?

No, if your upgrading your PC, you need at least all of this.

CPU

GPU

Mobo

PSU

RAM

#9 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

CPU

GPU

Mobo

PSU

RAM

What is a mobo and a PSU?

#10 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

CPU

GPU

Mobo

PSU

RAM

Mobo is a motherboard, you have to be sure that the mobo and CPU have the same pins on them. 
ie LGA 1155 motherboard and an LGA 1155 CPU
PSU is your power supply. If you simply want to upgrade your current PC, buy a Corsair CX600 PSU, and get a radeon hd7770 graphics card. However, you probably need a whole new pc. Duncan's build actually isn't that bad, I would not get the apu though. If you want to honestly learn about building pc's and their components, it is not that hard, go to Reddit.com/r/buildapc. Those guys are great!

#11 zecrom_89

zecrom_89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:19 AM

CPU

GPU

Mobo

PSU

RAM

Mobo is a motherboard, you have to be sure that the mobo and CPU have the same pins on them. 
ie LGA 1155 motherboard and an LGA 1155 CPU
PSU is your power supply. If you simply want to upgrade your current PC, buy a Corsair CX600 PSU, and get a radeon hd7770 graphics card. However, you probably need a whole new pc. Duncan's build actually isn't that bad, I would not get the apu though. If you want to honestly learn about building pc's and their components, it is not that hard, go to Reddit.com/r/buildapc. Those guys are great!

ok thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users