Photo

Well, since I'll be in the forums for a while why not make another thread.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 Justin B.

Justin B.

Damage Control D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

I just want to make a thread to share personal life lessons learned.I personally just got perma banned from chat and I think I've now learned to think to myself before I say something...LITERALLY. It really sucks that I'm perma banned but it kind of feels good because now I hopefully will become more mature from this mistake.

Please, anyone willing, post a life lesson learned and what it has taught you.

PAP Family - Damage Control #77

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#2 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ahh you get use to it. Been gone almost 4 months,don't really miss chat. Most people in the chat lobby as POS anyhow.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#3 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

Ahh you get use to it. Been gone almost 4 months,don't really miss chat. Most people in the chat lobby as POS anyhow.

yea dont you just hate it when there are rules

Lulzjustacat.png

#4 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

yea dont you just hate it when there are rules

It's just the man trying to hold me down!

#5 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:38 PM

... lol hahaha..

Honestly, what is so hard about following the rules? After being here for... ahem Awhile.. I can tell that my MAIN problem with this Forum is the strict BST(Which I don't have a problem with) but when your Fumbling through 6-7 Forums selling 1 thing you tend to get ahead of yourself and post the wrong thing on here..

other than a BST infraction Why in the world would you stoop to a low enough level and get banned for something? This is one of the VERY few forums that allows you to swear openly.. damn it!

#6 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

Wait, we can swear here? Fuck, I've been doing it wrong all along.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#7 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Holy banana boat wook, really?  ;)

#8 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

I'm not really mad about being banned, actually I think it is an important lesson.

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#9 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

^and that is the lesson.

While it sucks monkey choad, bad things NEED to happen to you to learn. If we all were given a free ride, we'd all end up slow, fat and dumb.

#10 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yes I agree ^

- Cookybiscuit

#11 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Here's a pretty good lesson:
The world only wants what they can get out of you. Everyone, everything, anyone, anything. In the end, everyone wants for themselves, and themselves only. There is no selfless act that exists that doesn't benefit the "selfless" person. Theyre doing it for they're own peace of mind, and glory, not for you, or whatever they say their doing it for.
Call it selfish if you want, but even then, you're saying that for your own peace of mind, and hopes of you gaining the glory and pride from the small win when you convince others of giving in.

Remember this, and you'll be a better person.
That guy being cocky? He won. Because he's doing everything for himself, and himself only. Everyone does the same, only difference is he's showing it.

Also:
For every good thing that happens, it's either a result of something bad, or will result into something bad.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

The world only wants what they can get out of you. Everyone, everything, anyone, anything. In the end, everyone wants for themselves, and themselves only. There is no selfless act that exists that doesn't benefit the "selfless" person. Theyre doing it for they're own peace of mind, and glory, not for you, or whatever they say their doing it for.
Call it selfish if you want, but even then, you're saying that for your own peace of mind, and hopes of you gaining the glory and pride from the small win when you convince others of giving in.

That guy being cocky? He won. Because he's doing everything for himself, and himself only. Everyone does the same, only difference is he's showing it.

Also:
For every good thing that happens, it's either a result of something bad, or will result into something bad.

I think that's an awfully pessimistic generalization of people.  Motivations are a lot more complicated than we admit a lot of the time I think.

That worldview is just a rationalization for people to act selfish in my experience.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 10 July 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#13 imnothim

imnothim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Also:

Although i believe the world is fueled by greed and is morally bankrupt, there are selfless, loving, kind acts. We just don't see them often because those people don't feel the need to brag about them. Taking a picture of the $100.00 tip you gave a waitress then posting it to facebook, the chive etc is not a random act of kindness. 9/10 its some douche bag trying to make himself look good.

The fact that doing something nice for someone else makes us feel good dosen't mean its selfish because we get something out of it. We feel that way as motivation for humans to take care of and look after one another. Unfortunately we keep being told to "look out for #1", "take what you want" and "yolo" that people use as an excuse for being a selfish ass.

To the OP: My life lesson would be "anything worthwhile is worth waiting for".

#14 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

And those people that do the "selfless" acts? They're doing it because helping others makes them feel good. They get a release of dopamine in their brains every time they do it. So remember, there literally is no such thing as a selfless act, just people going after that dopamine rush.

Fear is the mind-killer

#15 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

i can honestly say that for however long i've been active on this site i have never gone into the chat room.. whats the big deal?

This is one of the VERY few forums that allows you to swear openly.. damn it!

thank fuck for that. otherwise it would be like this

Macdev Clone GT, 2k5 ccm'd superstock. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#16 eightcoheed

eightcoheed

Amanda Bynes' lover.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Lesson: Dont be a fuck

What it taught me: Dont be a fuck

(I love the swearing thing :D)

Proud member of the United States Air Force

#17 imnothim

imnothim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

And those people that do the "selfless" acts? They're doing it because helping others makes them feel good. They get a release of dopamine in their brains every time they do it. So remember, there literally is no such thing as a selfless act, just people going after that dopamine rush.

Your right in a sense but why can't the dopamine rush be secondary to the act? I'm about as cynical as they come but I can bet theres been times you"ve done something nice for someone that nobody else knew about, and you did it without ever thinking of the personal "reward" of a dopmine rush. C'mon Wook, you can admit it. Nobody else is listening.

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

I don't think everyone that does something selfless necessarily feels good about their action afterward, they certainly aren't consciously aware of and expecting a release of dopamine.

Relevant to the discussion: http://en.wikipedia....ral_development

#19 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Every decision boils down to either pleasure seeking or pain avoidance. Plain and simple. You do something because it makes you feel good, or you do something to avoid an unpleasant situation. Sometimes the need for pleasure overrides the need to avoid pain, like sacrificing your immediate pleasure for later pleasure that you desire more. Playdoh, it's not about seeking that good feeling in a conscious manner, perhaps I could have worded it a little better. People commit selfless acts because they either feel good about doing it (pleasure seeking), do so out of a sense of duty (feel guilty if they don't, thus avoid an uncomfortable situation), etc. Morality is just collective of acceptable behaviors and choices, shaped by evolution and society (which in turn is shaped by evolution anyway). So basically, no matter what morality system you believe in, the decisions of that morality do come from the biological imperative in your brain.

TL;DR - we evolved a set of biological guidelines (morality) so that behaviors that positively affected the group/individual were rewarded by our brain letting us feel good, and behaviors that negatively affected the group/individual were rewarded with the brain making us feel bad.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 10 July 2013 - 10:37 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer

#20 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

In conclusion, I was right.

#21 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HzQSEoNdGvk

Posted Image

#22 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:38 AM

Every decision boils down to either pleasure seeking or pain avoidance. Plain and simple. You do something because it makes you feel good, or you do something to avoid an unpleasant situation. Sometimes the need for pleasure overrides the need to avoid pain, like sacrificing your immediate pleasure for later pleasure that you desire more. Playdoh, it's not about seeking that good feeling in a conscious manner, perhaps I could have worded it a little better. People commit selfless acts because they either feel good about doing it (pleasure seeking), do so out of a sense of duty (feel guilty if they don't, thus avoid an uncomfortable situation), etc. Morality is just collective of acceptable behaviors and choices, shaped by evolution and society (which in turn is shaped by evolution anyway). So basically, no matter what morality system you believe in, the decisions of that morality do come from the biological imperative in your brain.

TL;DR - we evolved a set of biological guidelines (morality) so that behaviors that positively affected the group/individual were rewarded by our brain letting us feel good, and behaviors that negatively affected the group/individual were rewarded with the brain making us feel bad.

This makes me think, what are our choices other than the result of a particular brain chemistry?  If given a set of circumstances, and our brain is organized a certain way, we would never make any other choice.  So in reality our consciousness and free will are only an illusion and the real truth is that we are slaves to our biology.  If you look at it that way.

Edit: However each thought we have influences the mind itself so I don't know what to make of that.  It's like an algorithm that's constantly rewriting itself.

Man I need to stop thinking about this...  :unsure:

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 11 July 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#23 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vET9cvlGJQw

I found this to be a good speech. 

#24 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

im assuming you are a fan of freudian psychology? while that pain and pleasure is good you simply cannot boil it down to just that as other approaches think differently, namely the behavioral approach which uses the theory that we are the product of learning and associations. we do things because we learn through interactions with others how to associate within a group and become a part of that group, regardless if we get pleasure out of the action or avoid pain. we take action sometimes in a way that give us pain, or does not give us pleasure; because it is seen as how you should act.

Lulzjustacat.png

#25 imnothim

imnothim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

This makes me think, what are our choices other than the result of a particular brain chemistry?  If given a set of circumstances, and our brain is organized a certain way, we would never make any other choice.  So in reality our consciousness and free will are only an illusion and the real truth is that we are slaves to our biology.  If you look at it that way.

Edit: However each thought we have influences the mind itself so I don't know what to make of that.  It's like an algorithm that's constantly rewriting itself.

Man I need to stop thinking about this...  :unsure:

Now that's some next level shit...

#26 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

im assuming you are a fan of freudian psychology? while that pain and pleasure is good you simply cannot boil it down to just that as other approaches think differently, namely the behavioral approach which uses the theory that we are the product of learning and associations. we do things because we learn through interactions with others how to associate within a group and become a part of that group, regardless if we get pleasure out of the action or avoid pain. we take action sometimes in a way that give us pain, or does not give us pleasure; because it is seen as how you should act.

I basically said what you're saying. Our morality is shaped by evolution and society. Society is full of people with moralities shaped by evolution, so any "moral" action deemed positive by the group is straight out of a biological response.

I even mentioned that pain can supersede pleasure earlier, because of the perceived pleasure later. You do something unpleasurable now, to reap the benefits later. Even if it's something as simple as not feeling guilty because you didn't help, or doing something purposefully unpleasant because you know you'll feel good about it later, etc.

The whole "how you should act" is straight up pleasure/pain response. If you do something because it's how you should act, you do it to avoid consequences if you don't act that way, or you gain satisfaction by acting how you should act, or you don't feel guilty for acting in a way other than how you should act, etc.

TL;DR - Biology and brain chemicals.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 11 July 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer

#27 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

Well, this has turned into a selfless act debate thread. lol

- Cookybiscuit

#28 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Because I'm right.

#29 FireFly*

FireFly*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I just want to make a thread to share personal life lessons learned.I personally just got perma banned from chat and I think I've now learned to think to myself before I say something...LITERALLY. It really sucks that I'm perma banned but it kind of feels good because now I hopefully will become more mature from this mistake.

Please, anyone willing, post a life lesson learned and what it has taught you.

even people doing life in prison get a second chance :)  see if your eligible for parole !

"some people"

Edited by FireFly*, 11 July 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#30 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

OP should be glad he got banned from chat. Its such a waste of time. Go talk to people who are actually in your life.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#31 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

lol good advice TheGuy!

- Cookybiscuit

#32 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

OP should be glad he got banned from chat. Its such a waste of time. Go talk to people who are actually in your life.

Yeah, I realized I can sit at home on the internet all day or go hang out with girls, hmm...

And yet I still find time to post!

#33 The Bacon Man

The Bacon Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Yeah, I realized I can sit at home on the internet all day or go hang out with girls, hmm...

And yet I still find time to post!

Girls?  What's that?

#34 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

Not to be "that guy" but I feel like evolution has nothing to do with how we make decisions. Why? Because I personally don't believe in evolution. And if you really want to have that debate, lets do it somewhere off the forums. However I feel like pain and pleasure influence our decisions because it is just common sense to avoid pain, and to seek pleasure.

I can be a bit of a smartass and even an a-hole. Please bear with me.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#35 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

You are now that guy.

#36 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

Why?

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#37 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,578 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

Well for starters, what exactly is the cause of common sense?

#38 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

Well, obviously we don't avoid pain because we all play paintball and I'm kind of a thrill seeker too, so I'm involved in pain quite often...lol.

- Cookybiscuit

#39 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Not to be "that guy" but I feel like evolution has nothing to do with how we make decisions. Why? Because I personally don't believe in evolution. And if you really want to have that debate, lets do it somewhere off the forums. However I feel like pain and pleasure influence our decisions because it is just common sense to avoid pain, and to seek pleasure.

Whatever your own beliefs on evolution, that doesnt change the fact of what happens inside the human body. "Common sense" is not a quantifiable thing, its a human created abstract.

#40 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Fear is the mind-killer

#41 IPlaySoccer

IPlaySoccer

Resident Chelsea fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Well for starters, what exactly is the cause of common sense?

I believe that common sense is different for everyone. Hence why some people are complete dumbasses. I feel like common sense is shaped by personal experiences. Not passed down from human to human.

Whatever your own beliefs on evolution, that doesnt change the fact of what happens inside the human body. "Common sense" is not a quantifiable thing, its a human created abstract.

I guess we agree?

I didn't learn anything new, try again plox.

9ca1b1c13c8d04ea.png

#42 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Every person I have ever talked to that didn't believe in evolution simply just didn't understand it properly. I was merely attempting to provide a concise description of what evolution is.

Basically, evolution is just the name we put to the process of how species change over time. Through random genetic mutation, different variations of an organism will exist in the same environment. The organisms that are best suited to survive in their environment, are more likely to procreate and pass on their genes. Over many generations, you have more and more of one type surviving and breeding, and less and less of another type surviving. As the environment changes, so does the types of survivors. To go with the video I posted, Giraffes with longer necks are more suited to feeding off the trees, so they're more likely to not die of starvation. This means more long necked giraffes breed than short necked giraffes, so you end up with more long necked giraffes than short necked giraffes. If the trees started getting shorter and shorter over time, then the giraffes with shorter necks would be better suited to eat, and die less than the long necked giraffes, so they'd breed more.

As for a real world example, just look at the Peppered Moth.

If you wish to continue not believing in evolution, that's perfectly fine. It won't change the fact that evolution happens, but whatever.

Fear is the mind-killer

#43 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

Since this debate hasn't yet been closed, or turned to shit, I'll get my two cents in here. 

as far as evolution, it does exist, however, as it has already been explained, many people have misconceptions. 

There is micro evolution, in the case where the animal stays within the same species. This is why we have different dogs, bears, and why there are so many different strands of the flu.

Then there is macro evolution, where animals can evolve, and eventually become a new species. This however has not been witnessed, or documented. And the only experiments on it have so much human interaction, as it is needed, that they are questionable as to how it would happen in nature. I do not believe in macro evolution. 

Back on topic:

Also, a little respect always goes a long ways. A few ma'ams or sirs, especially when trying to get a higher level job when you are a teenager, will help alot. 

#44 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,837 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Macroevolution and microevolution are the exact same thing: evolution. When scientists use the "macro" or "micro," it's just for descriptive purposes, to clarify the time scale being talked about. Microevolution is just macroevolution when viewed on a small scale. Similarily, evolution is not something that requires belief. Like I said before, it's what happens. No amount of belief is going to change that.

Plus, you know, the whole scientific evidence for evolution thing...

Edited by andrewthewookie, 12 July 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer

#45 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

^ thanks for the advice in the last thing you said. Much appreciated!

EDIT: this is meant for Klub

Edited by Justin B., 12 July 2013 - 04:48 PM.

- Cookybiscuit

#46 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

*Gets banned from chat for 10th time* "Well since I'm banned from chat,I now have nothing to do with my life." *Gets on forums and messages that one guy* *That one guy then proceeds to invite Justin to Perma-ban club*

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#47 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

lol

andrewthewookie, would the topic be closed if we made a perma banned club?

- Cookybiscuit

#48 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

*Perma banned member legion* Look under clubs lol I'm making perma-banned club right now! Justin myself and you are in charge.

#49 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

WOOOHOOO score!

lol

Edited by Justin B., 12 July 2013 - 05:06 PM.

- Cookybiscuit

#50 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Club has been created!!!! WOOHOO you dirty trolls!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users