Photo

Paintball Manufacturer Defects and Common Problems

Defects Problems Manufacturer Leaks Orings Stripped Broken Electronic Out of the Box Quality

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shogo242

shogo242

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hello TechPB Community,

This particular thread is to shed some light on common issues and possible defects found on paintball markers. This thread will also offer suggestions on how to fix the issues experienced. These fixes and issues are based on my personal experiences and recommended suggestions. 

A little bit about me:

1. I live in California, so weather conditions and manufacture locations will vary depending on your location

2. I've been a paintball tech for 10 years. I've worked a paintball shop before and I am currently employed by a manufacturer (I will be candid and unbiased in this thread and I will not disclose the manufacturer I work for)

3. I've played paintball since the year 2000 and I am partial to pump markers. The first marker I really loved was my 2003 prostock that I bought used. It was already converted to a pump, but I taught myself how to time the pneumatic kit that came with the marker. This sparked my interest in paintball guns and lead me to become a paintball tech.

Again, these defects and issues are based on personal experience. I will try to focus my efforts on new markers unless there are obvious oversights in marker design or materials used. Feel free to critique the work and offer your opinions and experience. If you were able to solve the issues you've experience, please share how. 

Companies will be list in alphabetical order and the thread will be updated periodically, until I've emptied my mind. I've shot, fixed, and sold a lot of guns but not all of them. So with some community input we can create a holistic picture of the industry and the products in it. So here we go!!!

Edited by shogo242, 20 July 2013 - 02:20 AM.

#2 shogo242

shogo242

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Azodin:

Bob Long:

CCM:

Dangerous Power:

Dye/Proto:

Dye Dm12 - Purchased Brand New June 2012 

• Problem: Marker leaked down the barrel out of the box.
  • Attempted Fix: Replaced can orings, sail orings, and dump chamber seal oring located on the top hat. We used the dye lube provided to lubricate the orings. The leak sealed temporary, but when the marker was fired it would start again. 
  • Solution: Marker sent back to Dye with warranty card as it was a brand new marker. Paid shipping to get the marker to San Deigo. Dye fixed the issue be replacing the defective bolt and can. The backcap and top hat were ok. They paid for the return shipping. We received only the marker back with no extra pieces or orings. Total turn around time was 4 business days (Dye is relatively close to our location). 

NOTE: Dye's solution fixed the issues and the marker has been perfect to this day. No more leaks and the marker always seals when lubricated correctly. This is not a common issue but can happen. 

Proto Rail 2011 - Brand New Markers

• Problem: Marker will not fire or cycle
  • Solution 1: Pre-packaged batteries are already drained and do not have charge. Purchase new batteries and replace the provided battery. 
  • Solution 2: If a new battery doesn't work then the solenoid could be defect. Contact Dye and see if they are able to ship a new solenoid out or if you need to send the marker in. Working with the shop you purchased the marker will help as well, as they can prove the marker you purchased is new and that you are the original owner. 

NOTE: Occurrence will depend on how long the marker has been is stored for. The longer the storage time, the higher the occurrence.

Empire:

Empire Axe - Brand New and Used

V1 - Early Axe = no velocity markings on backcap, clamp on feedneck doesn't close when hopper is on it, optimus board

V2 - Feedneck clamp now works and velocity markings on backcap

V3 - Shockwave board replaces the optimus board

• Problem 1: Solenoid will not cycle or it will take an increasing amount of trigger pulls to get it to cycle. 
  • Attempted Fix: Replacing battery with a fresh 9v and clean the solenoid out. These can fix the issue sometimes, but no guarantee. 
  • Solution 1: Contact Empire and get a replacement noid for the marker
  • Solution 2: Send the marker and have them look at the solenoid, upper board, and optimus board. Any of these electrical parts could go bad. 

NOTE: I've seen this happen to every generation of the axe, but its most prevalent in older used axes and v1-v2 axes. The upper boards and optimus boards would fail and the gun would simply not shoot. In many cases the solenoid would also need to be replaced as it would quite cycling even with new boards. The solenoids break in with time, but also degrade at a rapid rate. 5/7 Axes I've owned and my friends have owned needed a new solenoid. The only ones that didn't were some V3 Axes I sold soon after I purchased them. I've owned a V1 black axe #17 off the assembly line. The V1 axe experience noid failure along with upper board failure. 

• Problem 2: Leaking from the grip frame constantly 
  • Attempted Fix: Unscrew and re-position the transfer tubes, replace transfer tube orings (Sometimes this works, try this first before contacting Empire)
  • Solution 1: Send the marker back to Empire and have them replace the transfer tube (Contributor - Bassfisher)
  • Solution 2: Have Empire send replacement transfer tubes out with the orings

NOTE: The transfer tubes can be milled too large or can be threaded incorrectly/offset, thus it will never allow the oring to seal or the tube will be angled slightly.

• Problem 3: Marker will not turn on or register trigger pulls
  • Solution: Refer to Problem's one solutions.

NOTE: There is a possibility that the optimus board or the upper board went bad. Shockwave boards can fail like all electronics, but I haven't seen one yet that needed work.

GOG:

GOG Envy/Extcy - Brand New Markers

-I've grouped these two markers together as they share a lot of common parts and are very similar. The biggest difference between them is the moldings and the stock board.

• Problem 1: Leaks out of the box through the grip frame or barrel
  • Solution 1: Check the orings of the marker and replacement and relube them
  • Solution 2: Check the solenoid and see if it is leaking from there. If so, then solenoid will need to replaced or repaired. Contact GOG to see if you can get a replacement or send it in for warranty work. 

NOTE: Orings can decay with prolonged storage or long-shelf time. The lube can dry up in the heat and leave the marker dry. In addition, the solenoid gasket can also dry up and burst when placed under pressure. 

• Problem 2: Marker will not register trigger pulls or solenoid will not activate
  • Attempted Fix: Replace battery with a fresh one. 
  • Solution 1: Disassemble the Solenoid and see if there is excess lubricant inside that could impede the passing of the air or valve
  • Solution 2: Replace the board and/or the solenoid to see which part is not working. Contact GOG and see if they can send parts or if you need to send the marker in for repair and analysis.

NOTE: The board's capacitor can be defect, the solenoid could be defect, loose connection between wires and connectors, or the board is bad. Its hard to tell unless you extra parts to plug in and test. Most of the time its the solenoid or capacitor that fails in these cases. The occurrence of this is relatively low, but does happen from time to time. These noids are very similar to the Proto Rail solenoids. 

Kingman/Spyder:

Macdev:

Planet Eclipse:

Smart Parts:

Tadao:

Tippmann:

Virtue:

Virtue Spire - Brand New

• Problem: Spire will not feed paint
  • Attempted Fix: Replaced batteries, re-positioned tray, checked for debris, and checked for alignment.
  • Solution: Call Virtue and exchange the spire for a working one

NOTE: This might just be a bad batch and I've talked to a number of ex-owners that had the issue. Parts of the spire after molding can cool to be out of spec and will not allow paint through the hole. I've run the same paint through another spire and it worked fine. I've also exchanged the trays, the tray from the working spire was able to feed paint through the shell of the non-working spire. So there could be something wrong with the tray assembly, sensor or paddles. 

WGP:

Edited by shogo242, 20 July 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#3 shogo242

shogo242

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Reserved

#4 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Good idea for a thread! :tup:

#5 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

My axe leaked sometimes out of the grip frame.

What I tried: rotating transfer line to get holes to seal a little better.

Ended up sending back to kee for warranty.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#6 shogo242

shogo242

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

My axe leaked sometimes out of the grip frame.

What I tried: rotating transfer line to get holes to seal a little better.

Ended up sending back to kee for warranty.

Thank you for your input. My buddies Axe had the same issue and we requested a new transfer tube. That fixed the problem. There are some other issues we've experienced with axes and I will get to those. I've owned v1-v3 axes and each if them are a little different in regards to the boards, feednecks, and backcap.

#7 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Well I could tell you that my dangerous power g4 leaked out of the box and my friends smart parts ion became a paperweight once out of the box because it came with a dead noid
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#8 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

i bought my 06 ego used and out of the box it was extremely inconsistant. +- 25 on the chrono, the shim stack inside the reg was in the wrong order it was stacked like  ()()()()()()()()  when it should have been stacked like )()()()()()()()( . after rearranging the shims it shot much better.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#9 shogo242

shogo242

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well I could tell you that my dangerous power g4 leaked out of the box and my friends smart parts ion became a paperweight once out of the box because it came with a dead noid

I've seen this happen all to often with both of those markers. Unfortunately the noids in the smart parts are not the most reliable. 

i bought my 06 ego used and out of the box it was extremely inconsistant. +- 25 on the chrono, the shim stack inside the reg was in the wrong order it was stacked like  ()()()()()()()()  when it should have been stacked like )()()()()()()()( . after rearranging the shims it shot much better.

I've seen this before as well. Regulators that use shim stacks can have these issues, but its pretty rare. One has to remember that these are assembled by hand and humans aren't perfect creatures by any stretch of the imagination. 

#10 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

I've seen this happen all to often with both of those markers. Unfortunately the noids in the smart parts are not the most reliable. 

I've seen this before as well. Regulators that use shim stacks can have these issues, but its pretty rare. One has to remember that these are assembled by hand and humans aren't perfect creatures by any stretch of the imagination. 

it was the previous owner who put it back together wrong, im pretty sure he didn't realize and he thought it was a bad gun because it was old so he sold it to me for $215 shipped to canada. its a maniac edition 06 ego, he could have gone $275 easily lol.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Defects, Problems, Manufacturer, Leaks, Orings, Stripped, Broken, Electronic, Out of the Box, Quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users