Photo

Just Purchased a Beginner Setup. Thoughts?

beginner noob newbie setup

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Hey all, I'm new to the TechPB forum as well as Paintball in general. A few years ago I used to play airsoft, never played paintball, and recently got the chance to play paintball and did. I absolutely loved it, and now I want to start going to my local field and playing regularly. I decided I want my own personal setup but I didn't want to and frankly couldn't break the bank, so I decided to do some research and came up with the following budget baller, entry level setup:

- Marker: Tippmann Gryphon. I had a few reasons for choosing this marker. For one, Mike from TechPB on youtube mentioned this as a fairly good gun in his budget baller v3 video, and at $70 there really is hardly any cheaper marker out there. I had kicked around getting a 98 for a while and decided against it, mainly for the fact that a I feel a heavy side loader strictly woodsball gun like the 98 would limit my play to a certain extent (as also pointed out by Mike in one of his videos). And since the Gryphon has the same internals, I figured I'd go with it instead of the 98.

- Tank: Guerrilla Air HPA 62/3000 Tank. I took Mikes advice once again and tried to stay away from CO2, but I also could not spend $150+ for a carbon fiber 4500 PSI HPA tank like Mike strongly suggests, so after doing a little perusing, I found this tank for about $60. It's aluminum and may be heavier and lacking the air capacity of the 4500, but I wanted to get the consistency of HPA without spending over $100 for a tank. I hope that this was a good choice and that it will serve my needs well.

Hopper: Proto Primo Loader. I figured that since I'm getting a Gryphon that allegedly maxes out at 8 BPS, I would have no use for a battery operated high tech feeder like the valken vmax (and I'm glad I realized this before I bought a hopper that my gun won't take advantage of for $65). However I did want something better that a 3 buck piece of junk hopper, so I decided to go with the Primo.

I purchased all of this along with some misc gear (nipple/guage/thread protectors, camo hockey tape) from ansgear.com for approx. $166. A couple days ago I went to my local store and picked up a camo JT Flex 8 mask, since Mike reccomended that I start with a quality mask (as you can see, I've watched a few techpb videos......lol). Basically I would just really like some feedback/comments/tips on my choices. Have I done a good job choosing a decent budget baller setup to get me started in paintball? or have I horribly screwed up somewhere? All feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by MattCej, 09 August 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#2 sonicx059

sonicx059

Killer of Threads

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

That seems like the same setup I was planning to get as a back-up.

Although I have read that the Proto Primo is pretty useful but for some reason I believe I would prefer a battery operated loader.

602420_508306232582957_760957084_n.jpg

#3 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:20 AM

Nice luttle setup for the price, isn't the 62/3000 tank a monster though?
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Dye Rotor, Ninja Pro 68/45

#4 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not the one that I purchased. Oddly enough, for $50 there's this monster 62/3000 tank: http://www.ansgear.c...a623000tank.htm but that is not the one I purchased. I purchased this tank for $65: http://www.ansgear.c...3000tankpro.htm which is apparently only a little bit heavier and actually a bit smaller than a carbon fiber 4500 tank.

Edited by MattCej, 09 August 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#5 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

That seems like the same setup I was planning to get as a back-up.

Although I have read that the Proto Primo is pretty useful but for some reason I believe I would prefer a battery operated loader.

Yeah, like I said for a while I was going to get a valken vmax, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy a hopper that is roughly the same price as my marker, which is mechanical and only tops out at like 8 BPS, while the Primo claims to give you around 10. The vmax gives you something insane like 25, but because it needs batteries and all of that, I figured if I need it in the future I'll buy one, since the Primo is only $15.

Edited by MattCej, 09 August 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#6 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

almost all 3000 psi tanks are aluminum and you could have found a used 4500 for about $10 more but just have fun with the set up you have. If it can shoot paint and have fun it is a great set up.

#7 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Also the vmax will top out at 12-13 bps, its a pretty slow loader. Anyways your setup is fine for recball, it will shoot paint at 300 fps without problems.

#8 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Not the one that I purchased. Oddly enough, for $50 there's this monster 62/3000 tank: http://www.ansgear.c...a623000tank.htm but that is not the one I purchased. I purchased this tank for $65: http://www.ansgear.c...3000tankpro.htm which is apparently only a little bit heavier and actually a bit smaller than a carbon fiber 4500 tank.
Oh cool, I haven't seen those before but as kingjurzy said, you could have gotten a 68/4500 for like $10 more used

#9 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

Awesome setup for a beginner, you're doing everything right. My only suggestion would be to spend just a little more on the gun. If you step up to something like an eNMEy, I feel you would be much happier with how it shoots. If not, you still have a solid beginner setup.

#10 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Awesome setup for a beginner, you're doing everything right. My only suggestion would be to spend just a little more on the gun. If you step up to something like an eNMEy, I feel you would be much happier with how it shoots. If not, you still have a solid beginner setup.

I decided that instead of trying to go somewhere in between in terms of price of a marker, I figured that I would start out super cheap, and then a little later on if I really start getting into paintball hardcore and I find out that I'm most definitely going to be playing very regularly, I could then get a more expensive marker, and still have the gryphon as a backup. Rather than spending more and trying to meet in the middle somewhere right off the bat. Also, just curious, what is so much better about that eNMEy marker versus the gryphon that I would want to spend almost double for it?

And for the people who said I could have gotten a used 4500, I was under the impression that even used they were like around $100. Plus I didn't really want a used tank just because I was shooting for all brand new stuff this go around anyway.

#11 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Are you happy with your stuff?
-if yes, have fun because it is perfect
-if no, change it untill you enjoy it

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#12 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Sounds fine but a word of advice:

Once you have this gear stop buying paintball gear for a while.

Instead, put a couple hundred dollars into a fund and use it to actually play paintball.

Paint and field feeds are expensive, and I can't tell you how many friends I had in high school who would spend hundreds of dollars on paintball equipment and then not have enough money to actually go out and play when the weekend rolled around.

#13 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

I decided that instead of trying to go somewhere in between in terms of price of a marker, I figured that I would start out super cheap, and then a little later on if I really start getting into paintball hardcore and I find out that I'm most definitely going to be playing very regularly, I could then get a more expensive marker, and still have the gryphon as a backup. Rather than spending more and trying to meet in the middle somewhere right off the bat. Also, just curious, what is so much better about that eNMEy marker versus the gryphon that I would want to spend almost double for it?

And for the people who said I could have gotten a used 4500, I was under the impression that even used they were like around $100. Plus I didn't really want a used tank just because I was shooting for all brand new stuff this go around anyway.

The biggest advantage the eNMEy has over the Gryphon is that the eNMEy is equipped with a regulator. This means that the eNMEy will be more consistent as far as velocity, it will be more efficient so you can get the most out of your tank, and the consistency will lead to better accuracy.

And the eNMEy is a spool valve, and uses internals similar to a Vibe, eXTCy, and eNVy. This means that it will shoot smoother, and quieter than the Gryphon. The Gryphon also has the identical internals to a Tippmann 98 or BT4, which you may have used as a rental. If you've shot either of those, you have already used a Gryphon.

The one big advantage a Gryphon has, however, is its reliability. Every few outings, you will have to open up your eNMey and clean and relube the bolt to keep it operating like it should. With the Gryphon, you almost never have to open it up. You only have to open it up if it stops working, which almost never happens.

In the end, niether choice is bad for a starter setup, but in my opinion the eNMEy is definitely worth the investment if you think you will get into the sport more seriously.

#14 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Instead, put a couple hundred dollars into a fund and use it to actually play paintball.

Paint and field feeds are expensive, and I can't tell you how many friends I had in high school who would spend hundreds of dollars on paintball equipment and then not have enough money to actually go out and play when the weekend rolled around.

Yeah no, I fully intend to have this be my setup that I use for quite sometime. I don't plan on spending any more for gear anytime soon, I just want something of my own to use instead of having to rent a beat up rental gun every time I go play.

The biggest advantage the eNMEy has over the Gryphon is that the eNMEy is equipped with a regulator. This means that the eNMEy will be more consistent as far as velocity, it will be more efficient so you can get the most out of your tank, and the consistency will lead to better accuracy.

And the eNMEy is a spool valve, and uses internals similar to a Vibe, eXTCy, and eNVy. This means that it will shoot smoother, and quieter than the Gryphon. The Gryphon also has the identical internals to a Tippmann 98 or BT4, which you may have used as a rental. If you've shot either of those, you have already used a Gryphon.

The one big advantage a Gryphon has, however, is its reliability. Every few outings, you will have to open up your eNMey and clean and relube the bolt to keep it operating like it should. With the Gryphon, you almost never have to open it up. You only have to open it up if it stops working, which almost never happens.

In the end, niether choice is bad for a starter setup, but in my opinion the eNMEy is definitely worth the investment if you think you will get into the sport more seriously.

Ok, those sound like pretty neat component perks, but the maintenance thing you mentioned pretty much hits the nail on the head, at least for me. At this point in time, I have very little interest in having a gun that I'm going to need to clean or maintain on any kind of a regular basis. I would much rather sacrifice a little accuracy or consistency or quietness for something that I would almost never have to open up.

Edited by MattCej, 11 August 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#15 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

Ok here's the thing: it's not one bit complicated. If you can unscrew a back cap with your fingers, put some lube on the fingers, and spread it out on some rubber lines, then you can maintain it. Do not be intimidated when they say maintenence in paintball; it's nothing difficult until you get into the higher end stuff, or older things.
Doing it on the eNMEy is like this:
=--- bolt
0 Circular stopper
=D. Back cap

Trust us when we say it's not that hard, and that the eNMEy is the best low end mech marker out there.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#16 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Ok here's the thing: it's not one bit complicated. If you can unscrew a back cap with your fingers, put some lube on the fingers, and spread it out on some rubber lines, then you can maintain it. Do not be intimidated when they say maintenence in paintball; it's nothing difficult until you get into the higher end stuff, or older things.
=--- bolt
0 Circular stopper
=D. Back cap

Trust us when we say it's not that hard, and that the eNMEy is the best low end mech marker out there.

Ok, well that's good to know. In all honesty though I will probably never purchase an eNMEy, simply because after already purchasing the gryphon as a starter marker, if I do continue to play paintball I will probably upgrade to something a little more expensive when I upgrade in the future.

#17 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

=--- bolt
0 Circular stopper
=D. Back cap

Ok, well that's good to know. In all honesty though I will probably never purchase an eNMEy, simply because after already purchasing the gryphon as a starter marker, if I do continue to play paintball I will probably upgrade to something a little more expensive when I upgrade in the future.
So then buy an extcy. You may be thinking "that's not an upgrade because there's no price difference really", but that's the same thing as saying that its a downgrade to go from an nt11 new to a clone gt new because the clone is cheaper. Price doesn't always equal quality

#18 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

=--- bolt
0 Circular stopper
=D. Back cap

So then buy an extcy. You may be thinking "that's not an upgrade because there's no price difference really", but that's the same thing as saying that its a downgrade to go from an nt11 new to a clone gt new because the clone is cheaper. Price doesn't always equal quality

Hey, you read my mind! Not really, but when I said "a little more expensive" $250 or $300 was about what I was thinking, like a Proto Rail PMR, or going off your recommendation, an excty. To me, going from $70 to $250 is quite a price jump, and is pretty much my gameplan as of right now.

Edited by MattCej, 12 August 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#19 Pyeuwnie

Pyeuwnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hmm instead of the gryphon you should've gotten the Azodin kaos instead for like Idk $10-15 more? Very reliable , accurate, light etc. Overall I think is the best beginner much marker other than the gog enmy.

But for the rest good job glad you didn't cheap out on the tank and mask and I'd say its a pretty good set up but Id like to encourage you to sell that gryphon and get a kaos lols xP that's if you wanna

Edited by Pyeuwnie, 13 August 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#20 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

The kaos is not accurate at all. All regulated markets have the same accuracy and unrelated makers are not really far behind. Accuracy depends on paint quality and gear cleanliness as well as consistency.

Can you guys also stop suggesting what you would buy in his situation. If you read up you will find that MattCej is content with his gear.

Op:
Tell us how the set-up works for you.

#21 The Inflicted

The Inflicted

⊥ɥǝ Iuɟl!ɔʇǝp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hmm instead of the gryphon you should've gotten the Azodin kaos instead for like Idk $10-15 more? Very reliable , accurate, light etc. Overall I think is the best beginner much marker other than the gog enmy.

If he's already bought the gun, what good does it do telling him these things now?

#22 Pyeuwnie

Pyeuwnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

If he's already bought the gun, what good does it do telling him these things now?

Well I'm just putting it out there :/. I'm not telling him that he did a horrible job of not doing so or telling him that the gryphon is a horrible marker.

#23 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Honestly I appreciate all the feedback. Even the people who said "you should buy X gun instead of the Gryphon", because even though it's not really what I was originally looking for, I still like to see what gun everyone personally thinks is the best entry level marker. Doesn't bother me.

And I will most definitely come back with an update once my gear comes in the mail and I get out and play with it. I happen to have a question though: does anyone know roughly how many shots I'll be able to pop off before having to refill my 62/3000 HPA tank?

#24 Pyeuwnie

Pyeuwnie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

With that marker guess is something like 520

#25 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

6/10, I would've searched for a older rail. shit goes for cheap, I mean I got mine for $60

109.gif

#26 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

6/10, I would've searched for a older rail. shit goes for cheap, I mean I got mine for $60

An older rail? Are you talking about the Proto rail PMR?

#27 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

yup :D

109.gif

#28 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Don't listen to Jawz, he cannot read.

#29 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Don't listen to Jawz, he cannot read.

Are you talking about your previous comment and him mentioning a specific marker? If so, then like I said I don't mind his input on that. Its good to know that there are apparently cheap but good older rails out there.

#30 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

how does everyone now know I can't read? 

109.gif

#31 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Oh my god I can't believe I didn't catch this before I bought a Guerilla air tank. They output at 650 psi. I am reading that that is not enough output pressure for a Gryphon. Damn it. Just damn it. There goes 65 bucks. Unless this is wrong. Somebody needs to please clarify/confirm this.

#32 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

It will run fine. :)

#33 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

Yeah? Ok, I shot a few paintballs through it and they seemed plenty fast, but then I just started noticing a few people saying you can't use guerrilla air tanks on a gryphon because of its medium output pressure. So this tank will give me the velocity I need with the gryphon?

#34 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

No theyre dumb. Output pressure only matters if you were to use a response trigger.

#35 Ultimatefinn

Ultimatefinn

Eric Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

If it will shoot paint at 280 fps, it doesn't matter what tank you have.
This is exactly what marketing guns has come down too. a dick waving contest. You can say all the stuff you want but until you whip it out wave it around and prove it to the world everyone will doubt you. -bigx

#36 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

If it will shoot paint at 280 fps, it doesn't matter what tank you have.

Yeah, that's why I was just trying to make sure that the tank I bought will deliver that with my marker.

#37 Shirleymccray

Shirleymccray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

almost all 3000 psi tanks are aluminum and you could have found a used 4500 for about $10 more but just have fun with the set up you have. If it can shoot paint and have fun it is a great set up.

#38 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Yes, I've been told that several times right here in this thread. When I purchased the aluminum tank I didn't know I could get one that cheap, I thought they were at least $100.

#39 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

So I took my setup to a local field today, it worked just fine. I love paintball.

#40 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Quick question: do I need to use any gun oil at all for the tippmann gryphon? I played and used it today without ever putting any of the included gun oil anywhere in or on the gun whatsoever. Is this bad for the gun?

#41 awesompants

awesompants

My pants are awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

It's a Tippmann. Nothing is bad for it lol. But it wouldn't hurt to put a couple drops of oil into the ASA, air up the marker, and dry fire it a few times.

TechPB Feedback 2/0/0 MCB Feedback 1/0/0 PBN Feedback 1/0/0
Buy My Cocker Pump! Sexilicious Tri-Fade Dragon FST

University of Michigan, Go Wolverines

#42 johnbran

johnbran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Agreed, paint is very expensive and it would really suck if you bought all of your gear but couldn't afford to play the game.

Etek 4 LT

#43 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

8=D~  bolt
8=D~  Circular stopper
8=D~  Back cap

FIXED 

Lulzjustacat.png

#44 MattCej

MattCej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

lol

#45 gnarlee

gnarlee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

that begginer setup is fine trust me it will result in a bunch of fun times which is all that matters anyway.  but if you do plan to upgrade dont get a vmax get a halo too or used pinokio.this is pretty much verbatum from mike but if you upgrade go mask, hopper, tank, then gun.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, noob, newbie, setup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users