Photo

Beginner: Buying a Etek 3 LT vs. GoG Extcy?

gog extcy etek lt woodsball speedball

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Kintakashi

Kintakashi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

First off I'd like to say that I'm relatively new to paintball. I've been a nice few times now using rentals, and other friends markers. 

For the past month now I've been looking into buying my own paintball gun, and what I've put it down to as of right now is:

Brand new GoG Extcy $249.99 - VS - Slightly Used Etek 3 LT $350

GOG-2010-EXTCYBLK-EXTCY100-GoG-Paintball$T2eC16V,!ykE9s7tw28lBS!UBmbObw~~48_20.J

I've been watching a countless number of review videos, shooting videos and game play videos. I've been trying to learn everything I would need to know from buying a brand new gun.

NOTE:

I am a new player and I don't need the most expensive things to play, I just want a reliable gun that I enjoy playing with. I really hope I can get into the sport and play it often with my own gear.

With that being said I'm open to all opinions.

Summary:

I will be playing both woodsball / speedball / scenario gameplay with the gun that I purchase. I know both the extcy and the etek 3 lt is capable of doing so. 

My first decision was to purchase a spyder fenix, but I decided to go with something that seems a little more reliable. So I chose the GoG Extcy.

GOG EXTCY $249.99

If I were to buy the extcy it only seems necessary that I buy the 360 QEV and the techt L7 bolt after a bit of gameplay. I'll see how that works out.

I would definitely get a different barrel on the excty, I've decided that I would want a 16" barrel. Don't know what brand, all I know is that it needs to be ion threaded.

The GoG extcy provides great features for the $249.99 price tag, but with all the upgrades on it, it will cost more then the used etek 3. 

I would definitely want to upgrade the barrel to a 16" barrel, don't know what one though.

ETEK 3 $350 used

The etek 3 is a nice overall gun. I personally seem to trust the planet eclipse brand from research then GoG because of what they have behind them I guess. 

The price is a good price but it seems to be a little expensive since the new etek 4 lt is only $499.99.

Looking at the videos the etek 3 lt is a really nice gun and the only problem that it could potentially have is how loud it is and personally I don't think I would mind that.

ETHA?????

I looked at the etha and for the price point it doesnt seem all to worth it. The "ping and kick" that people claim it has throws me off. The etek seems like a better deal.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I DON'T MIND SPENDING MONEY ON EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT AS LONG AS I GET MY USE OUT OF IT AND ASSUMING ILL LIKE IT

TO ME EXPENSIVE EQUIPMENT WILL LAST AND FEEL BETTER AS LONG AS IT'S TAKEN CARE OF, AM I RIGHT?

So my setup as of right now would be:

Gun - Undecided

Mask - Dye i4 - gift

Barrel - Stock and potentially barrel kit with multiple bore sizes ( don't know to much about brand related barrels ) 16" definitely

Tank - 68 4500 ninja? or the cheapest tank that has a good name to back itself up

Hopper - Halo too loader? or a Dye rotor? ( I'll be playing both speedball and woodsball )

#2 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

I would go etek 3, stock barrel, 68/4.5k ninja tank, and a rotor. It will be a workhorse for you and try bringing down that etek 3 price, priced too high it should be at max $300. At that point I might as well go an axe but everyone is to their own.

gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#3 gorgeousllama

gorgeousllama

THE LLAMA.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

GOG Extcy, Pinokio Loader, Ninja 68/45, Freak Ion threaded back with an All american Apex Tip (freak insert kit), and then a Proto Pack.  Sick setup in the woods ^^^^^

Axe Pro, Spire, 68/45 Ninja, Virtue Vio

Feedback
+12/0/-0

#4 SplatSplatOrange

SplatSplatOrange

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

GOG Extcy, Pinokio Loader, Ninja 68/45, Freak Ion threaded back with an All american Apex Tip (freak insert kit), and then a Proto Pack.  Sick setup in the woods ^^^^^

And get a used extcy to save some $$
<p>G6R Red/black Ninja slp 45/45 Grillz Spire
Member of Chi-Town-Rampage

#5 Kintakashi

Kintakashi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Liking the different opinions on this :P. The Dye rotor really caught my eye and currently there's a sale on the rotor on ansgear for $149.99.

I was thinking why not pay the extra $60 for a hopper that's really really nice.

The etek is a super nice gun, but Idk if I'd be putting the savings from the GOG into something better if I so happen to get it. I understand that it's the player that determines the skill.

Getting used to a gun is a big factor as well. I mainly just want to hear reviews and some facts I guess :P

Empire Axe

I've seen a nice few reviews on the empire axe, the gun looks great, the way the gun looks really throws me off though :P. It doesn't have the appeal to me like the Etek 3lt.

I found an ad on here for an empire axe, $400 with:

-Empire AXE
-Invert Halo Too hopper
-Invert Nightstick
-Valken Redemption pants (size 30-32)
-Barrel swab

That's a pretty good price.

Etek 3 lt

I've found more etek 3 ads online for $350 with 68 4500 tanks, upgraded barrels and everything. The original price of this white one was 400 but I got him to knock it down to $350.

I guess I could try bringing down the price more, it still is a used gun and I'm pretty sure it's still not on the market?

GOG Extcy

I don't have a problem ordering this gun right now as is, it's brand new and I'd know it will work and be reliable for me. I guess it's if I'll get more out of the savings if I get this gun.

( buying a better barrel kit, hopper, etc )

#6 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,129 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

400 was way to much for that etek in the first place, 350$ is still too high. i just sold my etek 3 LT white / black for 300$

get.lit.up! knows that thing was flawless in every way. 

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#7 Kintakashi

Kintakashi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

So I guess it's 2 - 2 for the EXTCY and the ETEK.

I may just end up purchasing the extcy and upgrade some of the stock parts unless I can grab the etek for a good price.

I would most likely be able to put more money into better parts, or gear if I get the extcy so I'm thinking that's the route I'm going to take.

#8 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

I would take the extcy. It's quieter and smoother than the etek. I would also look at a used axe or drone dx if I were you
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#9 Samtipps

Samtipps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

If you're in the price range of $350, then get an axe for your primary marker. You can get these from between 300-350 used. I always find used gear is always better because you save a lot of money, just make sure the user is either trusted or has a shooting video or proof it works. As for Etek vs GoG I prefer the etek. It is more reliable, has better efficiency and I love the way it feels. The one your looking at is a little overpriced, you should be able to work him down to $300 if you want the Etek. As for a barrel, you can find nice cheap ones like the CP one piece barrel works great. I say get the Etek and work the price down, but I you can get an axe. I have mine now after selling my etek and I love the feel of it much better, it is very reliable and a great mid-end.
Also for a tank, a cheap one is a 50/45 which I love mine, but 68/45 is more costly but I comfortable. Brands like Ninja, Empire and Crossfire are very reliable. And since you are just starting off I would buy a new Halo Too, they around $65-70 and are great. Save you some money instead of a rotor.

#10 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Gun - Undecided
eXTCy, the Etek is just too damn loud

Mask - Dye i4 - gift

Barrel - Stock and potentially barrel kit with multiple bore sizes ( don't know to much about brand related barrels ) 16" definitely
Ion threaded back on a smart parts freak barrel

Tank - 68 4500 ninja? or the cheapest tank that has a good name to back itself up
68/4500 Ninja, you got it right the first time

Hopper - Halo too loader? or a Dye rotor? ( I'll be playing both speedball and woodsball )
z2 in the digi camo colorway

Buy one of these if you want a cheap but nice electro!!!
DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#11 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

400 was way to much for that etek in the first place, 350$ is still too high. i just sold my etek 3 LT white / black for 300$

get.lit.up! knows that thing was flawless in every way. 

It was a nice etek, I would not mind shooting that thing. Then again I'm not very picky, I just happen to end up with a g6r, and like 4 other markers lol.

The eXTCy is also nice, the only thing I have against it is the gas inefficiency. Otherwise its pretty solid stock.

If it was me I would taking an axe from the BST or locally used, a used rotor, a brand spanking new ninja CF tank, and maybe a freak barrel just maybe

gnUDL.png

#12 BBaller22

BBaller22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Guns- Planet Eclipse Etek 3lt, later get a hush bolt not a l7 and through dat bitch in. The other gun would be a Empire Axe, I'd personally go with the axe, but the etek with a hush bolt is a dam good gun imo.

Hopper/Loader - Dye rotor, my two friends got a halo and upgraded to a rotor few weeks later, save yourself the hassel and get the rotor. 

Tank- Ninja 68/4500 is perfect, for my its to long but I have short arms.

Mask - Dye i4s are a great looking mask, personally id get the eflexes but since you got the i4s they will do the job.

Other- The only other thing i'd get would be a pod pack, NXE basic 4 pod pack will do the job along with 4 gxg pods.

Everything else is extras, play with this then get some knee and arm pads. Hope this helps.

#13 Kintakashi

Kintakashi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

THANKS EVERYONE for the help here! You've definitely given me the confidence in buying my own gun.

I'm certain on getting the extcy and then going from there.

Althought I'm getting a lot of points saying that the empire axe is good. Personally I do and don't like the look of it but it seems like a great gun!

The reviews also can say the same. But personally I don't want a really finicky kind of gun. That's what that gun seems to be like, am i wrong?

That's the ad I found for the empire axe btw::

I found an ad on here for an empire axe, $400 with:

-Empire AXE
-Invert Halo Too hopper
-Invert Nightstick
-Valken Redemption pants (size 30-32)

-Barrel swab

I"m going to take another look at the comments after this, but I think I have a good decision of going with the EXTCY and upgrading the barrel, possibly the 360 QEV and the bolt afterwards.

POD packs are a definite thing I will be getting!

Thanks everyone again for the help

#14 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

Good choice! You will be happy with the extcy
My Setup- 2k11 G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#15 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Personally axes have been one of the easiest if not the easiest marker I've ever worked on. Personally I would still try the BST for just a plain old regular axe for $300

gnUDL.png

#16 BBaller22

BBaller22

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

I help out some friends with there guns, dp guns, extcy, mini, and axes, other mid range guns, and by far the easiest one to work on is the empire axe, extcy is a low end gun, the axe is a mid, the deal you found with the axe is a good deal.

#17 TheRealistBaller

TheRealistBaller

I wear MoonShoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

$350?! For an etek?! Slow your roll there son! Just look around a bit, you can find those Eteks for a lot less then that. There was a etek 3 am (metal version) for $300 I mean that's what I would go with
hey i play paintball

#18 cam0331

cam0331

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

This would be legendary

#19 SplatSplatOrange

SplatSplatOrange

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

the qev is a good upgrade because you can basically half your dwell, dont bother with upgrading the bolt,

<p>G6R Red/black Ninja slp 45/45 Grillz Spire
Member of Chi-Town-Rampage

#20 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

This is off topic and I'm sorry if I'm thread jacking but does anyone else think that the extcy has a pretty damn sexy body (if it was metal)

#21 Exile308

Exile308

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

The eXTCy is a great gone my daughter loves her's and truth be told I am considering a second one for when I don't want to carry around my Phenom.  Love my Phenom but it is a handy cap on a xball field. I think you will find it is a great purchase as is.    

However if you are wanting a 16" barrel I would look here http://www.ansgear.com/WDP_Angel_Slapstick_16_Barrel_Kit_Black_Velvet_p/wdpangelbarrelkit.htm  for the money I think it is pretty good and have been considering buying it for my daughter.  But again truth be told she is happy with the barrel on it.

#22 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't know why no one had brought this up yet, why are you wasting money on a barrel kit?

Get an Axe for $300 and you will not be disappointed. If you tune it right which is not hard at all you can have a very quiet and efficient marker. 

#23 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

I don't know why no one had brought this up yet, why are you wasting money on a barrel kit?

Hush, hush now we can pump more money into paintball companies :D

Get an Axe for $300 and you will not be disappointed. If you tune it right which is not hard at all you can have a very quiet and efficient marker. 

And fuck yeah! I recommend using a tank with a ninja regulator for optimal performance. My axe shoot very nicely at my tourney today

gnUDL.png

#24 Brum4500

Brum4500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

The eXTCy is a great gun you won't be disappointed.  I think the eXTCy is kind of ugly, but I think the mini is nice looking.

#25 SnakePlayer10

SnakePlayer10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

etek three, ninja, rotor. GOG is great for the price range but if your willing to put the extra cash in, I would go with the Etek

#26 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Cough, Cough look into Bob Long Marqs! ;-)

Between the two I'd say etek all the way.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#27 J3R3MY

J3R3MY

I know nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

GoG, Rotor, Ninja 68/4500.

Then buy paint....Lots and lots of paint.

#28 Lt. Blood

Lt. Blood

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Etek 3 is my backup gun; it's reliable and upgrading to an ego allows you to be able to utilize parts from the etek 3 in case of emergencies at tourneys. Etek 3 is a sick gun that works wonders IF you clean it properly.

80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that hates that shit , put this in your sig!Go ahead and throw your ions. I'll just catch them and throw em' back, except harder You may live in a 500,000 dollar house but i live in a 2 dollar box under a 6,000,000 dollar bridgeSave a rock,throw a tippmann its ok you won't be able to hurt it.put this on ur sig if u feel a need to call paintcheck........even if all you can see is orange! If you live in Panama, hit me up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gog, extcy, etek, lt, woodsball, speedball

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users