• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 wrodriguez1985

wrodriguez1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:39 PM

As a parent in today's world there's many things that hold you back from being able to do the things you want to do all the time. If it's not kids school trips ,kids sports and making sure the kids are busy we do only get those few spare minutes when they sleep to do what we like to do for ourselves ... So in saying this I'm looking to attend next years living legends in Chicago because all I hear is amazing stories and people expressing its well worth the money and time. I would like to ask for advice on planning this trip the do's and the don'ts, any suggestions or tips I should know.. Also is there anyone else from Connecticut going/ anyone else going who like to meet up because this will be just me and my wife going on this trip and she doesn't play yet lol ... But that's another story for another time. Hope to hear some good feed back and please keep the comments positive ....

#2 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Living Legends is pretty ideal for any player really.  There are over a thousand players from some of the biggest teams on the continent, web celebs, historic paintball figures, a great producer, and a fantastic field and venue.  The trip is expensive, there's no getting around that. 

I would suggest pre-registering and doing it early.  Try to get there on Friday if at all possible so you can get registration out of the way.  You can chrono your marker and get it ready for Saturday as well.  This is huge considering the amount of players that won't do that on Friday and will flood the chrono stations early Saturday.  Bring liquids and some snacks; I don't know how or why but this event always seems to land on the hottest weekend of the spring and many fallen ill to dehydration over the last 4 years I've been there.  Cardio training is a must really.  Anyone can play this field, it has something for everyone from 10 years old to in wheelchairs (literally).  But, back to the cardio, I'm 26 years old, out of college for a few years and just got back into training.  CPX has a massive field and running everywhere takes a little training take my word for it.  If I remember right the start is a 1/4 mile sprint to the front line.  With gear on it feels like about a mile.

I left out some stuff I'm sure, if you have questions let me know.  I've been to LL the last 4 years and I'll answer anything if it helps someone.  I also have a guide in this section which hopefully helps.

#3 TechPB-Willie

TechPB-Willie

The man behind the scene.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

I would have to concur with Cheevo's comments above. There aren't many don't about the event. The biggest one would be waiting til the last minute. This can cause all kind of issues, from housing to extra costs for last minute plans.

The cardio and hydration comments are critical to a good time. I'm not the best example of it, I do train and hydrate but push a bit too far. But it's just due to the love and passion for the game.

Being a parent myself and my son doesn't really play but plans to next year. Both my wife and son came up to the LL last year for the first time to see what it was all about. And they went around the city caught a Cubs game did some site seeing and also enjoyed seeing all the people enjoying themselves playing.

With the fact of bringing your wife and she not really into playing I highly recommend getting a hotel nearby so that you can enjoy some good food eateries (Portillo's; Gino's East; etc)  in the area. And also allow you to spend some time with her since she is supporting you on the trip.

If you have any more detailed questions, please feel free to ask away. I am sure there will be plenty of people willing to offer answers, especially as the event comes closer.

Glad to hear you will be attending the event next year. Look forward to seeing you there.

#4 cockerpunk

cockerpunk

All the Dudes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

i highly recomend not cheaping out and getting a hotel. the camping option is fun, i have done it several times. but a hotel is just miles better. getting clean after a day of play, that shower, is worth it alone.

otherwise yeah, what these guys said about hydration and being fit is good. the way i see it, i paid a lot of money to play a paintball game of epic proportions, so any time i spend in the staging area ... is wasted. as anyone from techpb can attest, i may not be an amazing athelete, but its pretty rare to see me in the staging area for more then 15 mintues. i chug some water, load up, gas up, and im out back on the feild. its no fun feeling like crap in the staging area while a great fight is going on.

not to mention how much more effective you are as a paintball player .. when you are actually on the feild.

hope to see you there!

The ultimate truth in paintball is that the interaction between the gun and the player is far and away the largest factor in accuracy, consistency, and reliability.

And yes, Gordon is the sexiest manifestation of "to the front."

#5 wrodriguez1985

wrodriguez1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Question: how much paint does a average player use during LL?

#6 Sean Scott

Sean Scott

Director of Awesomeness for Living Legends

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

The players can tell you, but it does vary greatly from player to player. It just depends on your playing style. I normally tell people about 2 cases. I have also heard of people shooting 4+ by themselves. 

Sean Scott

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
www.cpxsports.com

#7 wrodriguez1985

wrodriguez1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Question: will there be more paint for purchase if I needed to get more if need be .

The players can tell you, but it does vary greatly from player to player. It just depends on your playing style. I normally tell people about 2 cases. I have also heard of people shooting 4+ by themselves.

Will there be paint for purchase during the event if need be to have more ?

#8 TechPB-Willie

TechPB-Willie

The man behind the scene.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Question: will there be more paint for purchase if I needed to get more if need be .

As mentioned the volume of paint will depend on the player. The average is between 2 to 4 cases.

Yes there is paint for sale all weekend at the event.  i Know one year they had a special delivery of paint since they had issues and ordered more to be sure we did not run out. Which of course never happened.

#9 wrodriguez1985

wrodriguez1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

As mentioned the volume of paint will depend on the player. The average is between 2 to 4 cases.

Yes there is paint for sale all weekend at the event.  i Know one year they had a special delivery of paint since they had issues and ordered more to be sure we did not run out. Which of course never happened.

Living Legends is pretty ideal for any player really.  There are over a thousand players from some of the biggest teams on the continent, web celebs, historic paintball figures, a great producer, and a fantastic field and venue.  The trip is expensive, there's no getting around that. 

I would suggest pre-registering and doing it early.  Try to get there on Friday if at all possible so you can get registration out of the way.  You can chrono your marker and get it ready for Saturday as well.  This is huge considering the amount of players that won't do that on Friday and will flood the chrono stations early Saturday.  Bring liquids and some snacks; I don't know how or why but this event always seems to land on the hottest weekend of the spring and many fallen ill to dehydration over the last 4 years I've been there.  Cardio training is a must really.  Anyone can play this field, it has something for everyone from 10 years old to in wheelchairs (literally).  But, back to the cardio, I'm 26 years old, out of college for a few years and just got back into training.  CPX has a massive field and running everywhere takes a little training take my word for it.  If I remember right the start is a 1/4 mile sprint to the front line.  With gear on it feels like about a mile.

I left out some stuff I'm sure, if you have questions let me know.  I've been to LL the last 4 years and I'll answer anything if it helps someone.  I also have a guide in this section which hopefully helps.

It's means a lot to me for all our you helping out and giving me a few words of advice ... Who knew I ask a question on this forum and I have one the founders for living legends give me a few tips...
Willie you are one of the many techpb personal I would love to meet me and play with at LL
Cheevo your guide helped out thanks for showing the love ...

This is one main reason I love this sport everyone helps each from veteran to newbie like my self

#10 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Quoted for truth.  I used 2 cases each year for my first two years there, 3 the third year, and 4 this year.  I just became more comfortable with the field and making moves making for a little more aggressive play and more paint shot :P.

#11 Salvation

Salvation

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

While hydration is super important, it should be pointed out that eating right is just as important. While snacks will tide you over inbetween meals, upping your normal calorie count for the weekend helped me tremendously. Im border line hypo-glycymic (sp?) and can develope migraines and lethargy if I dont keep a fair amount of sugar in my system. Should you have special dietary requierments you may not find what you need on site. Even if your staying in a hotel grab a small cooler and pack what you'll need to keep you going for the day.

Kevin

Indiana Member #"Old Fart"
SAS-Indiana
Central Indiana
http://saswoodsball.com/
http://www.sasmilsim.com/

#12 Jt3

Jt3

• Players Club
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

While hydration is super important, it should be pointed out that eating right is just as important. While snacks will tide you over inbetween meals, upping your normal calorie count for the weekend helped me tremendously. Im border line hypo-glycymic (sp?) and can develope migraines and lethargy if I dont keep a fair amount of sugar in my system. Should you have special dietary requierments you may not find what you need on site. Even if your staying in a hotel grab a small cooler and pack what you'll need to keep you going for the day.

Kevin

This. I found out the hard way.

American Ex-Pat

#13 Sean Scott

Sean Scott

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

It's means a lot to me for all our you helping out and giving me a few words of advice ... Who knew I ask a question on this forum and I have one the founders for living legends give me a few tips...
Willie you are one of the many techpb personal I would love to meet me and play with at LL

This is one main reason I love this sport everyone helps each from veteran to newbie like my self

As everyone will tell you, I am on the forums regularly and help as much as possible. As we get closer to the event, I will be checking them everyday. 

One of the great things about the TechPB community is everyone coming together to help each other all the time.

Sean Scott

www.cpxsports.com

#14 wrodriguez1985

wrodriguez1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

As everyone will tell you, I am on the forums regularly and help as much as possible. As we get closer to the event, I will be checking them everyday. 

One of the great things about the TechPB community is everyone coming together to help each other all the time.

Is 50 cal allowed at living legends ....?

#15 Sean Scott

Sean Scott

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

CPX Sports is a Field Paint Only facility. In the past, we have offered 50 caliber paint for sale, but for the last event I was not able to get any. So, I would not bank on it 100%.

Sean Scott

www.cpxsports.com

#16 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'm the only guy who shoots 50 cal at Living Legends LOL

Unless you are using a splatmaster

#17 reflexowner

reflexowner

Unicorns eat tacos!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

first after mike ;)

#18 wrodriguez1985

wrodriguez1985

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm the only guy who shoots 50 cal at Living Legends LOL

honestly from a parents point of view its cheaper bang for my buck..... and it just means i need to get closer to victims when i take them out ...

1.)4000 ct case-some what  same price as regular .68cal paint 2000 count  

2.) i can carry more paint in the same pods i already have .... 

I also want to see mikes face when he sees me ( 5'10 260 husky guy ) laughing my ass off from attempting his battle run with a 50 cal marker and a tank of oxygen trying to breathe

#19 Soldier of Fortune

Soldier of Fortune

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Been there done that haha

I still suck and barely know positions.

thats what my wife said when I first met her...

#20 Gremikins

Gremikins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

As a fellow female type and this last living legends being my first I would definatly agreed to the hotel as it will keep your wife on the happier side. Showering before going out to eat is worth it x100000. Bring cash for all the vendors soometimes they have great deals, but don't get distracted from chronoing in you will miss the opening charge like I did. Oopps. That line can get large and they won't have reps at chrono during the orientation. I had gear issues so that just went swell. Another advantage to hotel living is not only will you see some awesome paintball players but LAUNDRY. If you only have one set of elbow pads or pants and you dive into some sewage mud that smells like a** you can wash it.

#21 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Doing Laundry last LL was a life saver....so much grody, sweaty gear...

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#22 Mental

Mental

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

Pre-registered my son and myself. Very much looking forward to the event. Coming to CPX with some old friends from Saskatchewan. They've been to Living Legends before and tell great stories. From all the replies in the forums and the help I got online during registration, (thanks again Sean), this is going to be a fantastic time. 

That's like Rental

But with an"M"

#23 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Living legends is the type of event that is so massive, and awesome, and amazing, that if you don't have any fun then it's entirely your fault, because living legends is simply way too legendary to not have fun. Plus you get to meet all sorts of cool people, and the majority of the super cool techpb people.

#24 Sean Scott

Sean Scott

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

If you are not having fun, you are doing something wrong. If you have problems having fun, come see me and we will take care of that. 

Also, 50 cal may be there for sale. ;)

Sean Scott

www.cpxsports.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users