• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 andres77

andres77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hey guys, today was my first day ever playing speedball. I have played out in the woods and hyperball for about 6 months, every other week mostly. I was trying out for a team my university has and decided what the heck. So here is my experience, I played a total of 4 games.
game 1, they told me go snake side since you say your fast, make it to the Aztec and then when you can bump up to snake. At the last second another guy joins in and says he is going snake. Me being my first time was very confused I went Aztec anyways. I made it alright, not shot out off the break I think its going well. Next thing I know as I pop out towards center I get hit 4 times in my hands and gun. I wasn't even 2 inches out when I got hit.
game 2, I go snake side again and this time I don't even make it to my bunker and got shot in the head off the break. Needless to say I got shot 4 or more times walking off the field.
game 3, I go snake another time since I made it the first time they said try again. The guy I played with the two other times was on the other team this time he was the guy I was trying out for. Anyways I run to the dorrito planning on bumping to Aztec and the guy in the dorito next to me would bump to the dorito. The plan was to wait until they'd stop laning (5ish sec) then bump to Aztec. Well as soon as I started running out of the Dorito I got lit up I guess someone was expecting it.
so game 4 I decide heck I made it to aztec off the break once, I can do it again. I book it go the aztec but in slowing down my guns barrel hit the ground and flew out of my hand giving me a small kind of nasty scratch. I'm sitting there in the aztec wanting to finally shoot some paint and my gun is like 5 feet away from me with the hopper having flown off and another 2-3 feet from me. I decide to stay in and call positions to my team to try and at least be partially useful to them.
anyways it wasn't exactly the best time I've had paintballing but I feel like you sometimes just gotta keep at it. I felt like I certainly wouldn't be allowed to play with them but they were cool with it and I guess they see some potential, after the last game the guy I was trying out for told me he was laning to the aztec to get me since he knew I was going there but I ran past his stream, or beat his stream. So I can't complain, first time was kinda interesting, I got lit up, core sampled and shot off the break :).
anybody have similar experiences their first time?
anyone have any advice you'd give a guy just starting to play speedball, I've seen a ton of videos, but watching and understanding what to do doesn't mean you can do it in the moment. Thanks guys!

#2 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hey guys, today was my first day ever playing speedball. I have played out in the woods and hyperball for about 6 months, every other week mostly. I was trying out for a team my university has and decided what the heck. So here is my experience, I played a total of 4 games.
game 1, they told me go snake side since you say your fast, make it to the Aztec and then when you can bump up to snake. At the last second another guy joins in and says he is going snake. Me being my first time was very confused I went Aztec anyways. I made it alright, not shot out off the break I think its going well. Next thing I know as I pop out towards center I get hit 4 times in my hands and gun. I wasn't even 2 inches out when I got hit.
game 2, I go snake side again and this time I don't even make it to my bunker and got shot in the head off the break. Needless to say I got shot 4 or more times walking off the field.
game 3, I go snake another time since I made it the first time they said try again. The guy I played with the two other times was on the other team this time he was the guy I was trying out for. Anyways I run to the dorrito planning on bumping to Aztec and the guy in the dorito next to me would bump to the dorito. The plan was to wait until they'd stop laning (5ish sec) then bump to Aztec. Well as soon as I started running out of the Dorito I got lit up I guess someone was expecting it.
so game 4 I decide heck I made it to aztec off the break once, I can do it again. I book it go the aztec but in slowing down my guns barrel hit the ground and flew out of my hand giving me a small kind of nasty scratch. I'm sitting there in the aztec wanting to finally shoot some paint and my gun is like 5 feet away from me with the hopper having flown off and another 2-3 feet from me. I decide to stay in and call positions to my team to try and at least be partially useful to them.
anyways it wasn't exactly the best time I've had paintballing but I feel like you sometimes just gotta keep at it. I felt like I certainly wouldn't be allowed to play with them but they were cool with it and I guess they see some potential, after the last game the guy I was trying out for told me he was laning to the aztec to get me since he knew I was going there but I ran past his stream, or beat his stream. So I can't complain, first time was kinda interesting, I got lit up, core sampled and shot off the break :).
anybody have similar experiences their first time?
anyone have any advice you'd give a guy just starting to play speedball, I've seen a ton of videos, but watching and understanding what to do doesn't mean you can do it in the moment. Thanks guys!

Very well said. 

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

For me watching those videos made me a better player it is all about incorporating what you want to learn out on the field. There is only one way to get better at something and that is through hard repetitive work. I used to watch videos on how to slide correctly after I learned that sliding on both knees was not the most efficient way to slide so what I did was I practice sliding in full gear wherever I could until I perfected it. I took the practice I had sliding onto the field the next go-around and I sucked at it in-game. I kept at what I used to do but the plus side to that was that i NOTICED my mistakes and slowly but surly I got the hang of it by the end of the day.

My first time playing speedball was like almost everyone else's time. I didn't keep my gun up, I didn't know positions and names of bunkers and I didn't know how to properly snapshoot. 

Some key elements to make you a better player in speedball:

• Keep your marker up and keep it pointed when you look out of your bunker
  • Learn to run and gun 
  • Know where your opponents are 
  • Call out positions
  • Listen to call outs
  • Keep your ass low in snake and keep your body in-line with bunkers you are in
  • Learn from your mistakes

Practice makes perfect and I do whatever I can in my fee time to practice paintball techniques. I constantly walk my trigger to get better at doing so. On the rare occasion I do watch a PB video I watch what the players do and I see what works for them and what doesn't and I learn from their mistakes. 

Out of curiosity what marker do you have and what videos have you watched?

#4 andres77

andres77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

I've watched pretty much all mikes videos and have watched some playlists on YouTube about paintball tips and stuff. And I rock my crossover which because of me didn't get much action. I shot less then a hopper

#5 michael_mnm

michael_mnm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Either just run to your bunker full sprint(LOOK DOWN THE FEILD AT ALL TIMES!) , lane from home, or run and gun. Once you get too your bunker play smart and dont come out of the same spot every single time. Thats all i can really say. Take some advice from the people above there amazing. Goodluck

PLAYING CFPS!!!!!!!!!

#6 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

I would say try to shoot while moving all the time if possible unless youre making a very tough bump or going really far up the field off the break.

#7 Jweb

Jweb

Cardinal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Sounds like you were playing against some fairly experienced players as well so what you went through can be pretty much expected for your first time. Before I played my first (and only) game of speedball I also watched a bunch of videos prior to playing but nothing will totally prepare you for what you actually experience on the field. Try to walk the field and really get used to it if you can. Look at where the lanes are (or could come from) and the angles that you can get from certain bunkers. On the bright side, if you are playing against experienced players on a regular basis you'll probably learn the ropes much faster than someone who plays 30 games against rental players and then finds out you can't pull off half of the moves you did beforehand. 

I kind of like neck shots, they give other people the impression that I have a social life.

Meeting Mike and Willie = best paintball day ever.

#8 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Try not to sweat the small mistakes too much, and have fun with it.

Little story:

First time I played speedball out in California, I had gotten my Axe (my first electro tournament marker), and I was meeting up with a buddy I usually did rec ball with who wanted to check it out. So I learned a bit, watched the videos and got a feel for different bunkers, but I was nervous. I set up and was told to go to carwash, then bump into snake from there. Started off well enough, shot out the guy across from me going to snake (he didn't expect me to start gunning from carwash, thought I'd go straight for snake insert), so I went to bump to snake, and as I made my move, feet got caught up underneath me and I went ass over tea kettle into the bunker, bounced off of it and lost my gun and hopper and was sitting out in the open. I scrambled, got into a snake knuckle, but my gun was just outside of tape, about 2 feet away. I kept trying to pop out and grab it, but the guy on snake corner across from me kept putting shots on me, until he managed to clip me on my arm.

Needless to say, I felt foolish, but the guy who was across from me came over, and gave me a few pointers and had a laugh about my spill.

You learn something new every time and always talk to the guys who have some experience, so you can take what you can from them to become a better player yourself!

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#9 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

For me a lot of my skills came naturally. You just seem to pick things up overtime. When to move when to shoot how to move how to play bunkers. 

Despite being a human Sasquatch I was blessed with excellent body awareness I understand where I am and my surroundings. Knowing what is around you and what is going on is IMO the most important skill to have in speedball. You know only what you can see, being able to share that information with your teammates is essential. 

From what I can tell you the biggest trick to getting in clean is to not over extend yourself off of break. Pick an advantageous bunker that you think you can play well. Get into it then start to read the field. Get an idea of where your teammates are as well as where the opposing team is shooting. From there use your teammates to help you make bumps up the field. 

It all comes down to being able to read the field and use your teammates to shoot for you to get into positions by means of laning and pushing people into their bunkers. 

As for not being able to shoot your gun, that is where a skill called snap shooting comes into play. That is simply something you can pick up over time with repetition and practice. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users