Photo

Anyone heard of this being done to paintballs?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jweb

Jweb

Cardinal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

I came across the below paragraph while browsing my local field's FPO policy. It's preceded by another paragraph explaining that field paint is better than store bought paint because it's fresher, more brittle, etc.

"There is also another reason we do this – some players seek to win at all costs. Some players take this idea to a whole new level- and they will perform some modifications to paintballs to make them ‘shoot faster and harder’. This is typically done by ‘freezing’ paintballs, or in some extreme situations, actually inject METAL SHAVINGS into the ball to increase the balls weight, increasing the probability of the paintball breaking upon impact. This is NOT SAFE nor ENCOURAGED by our field and referees, so to prevent this situation, any paintballs taken off our facilities (even if purchased from us!) is not permitted any longer. We don’t know what happens to that bag of paint once it leaves our store… and we only wish to protect those who are here."

I don't get it, I don't even see how injecting metal shavings into a paintball is even possible much less that it is a problem that my field needs to be worried about. Has anyone ever even heard of this before? I can come up with about 5 reasons why it would absolutely never work out but I'm really curious as to what y'all think or have heard. Personally I'm calling major shens on this.

I kind of like neck shots, they give other people the impression that I have a social life.

Meeting Mike and Willie = best paintball day ever.

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like your field got tired of having people complain about not being able to bring their own paint, and decided to just print random stuff that sounds bad that nobody actually does.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 awesompants

awesompants

My pants are awesome.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

I haven't ever heard of anybody doing that. Now I'm curious to know how your field has come up with that thought lol.

TechPB Feedback 2/0/0 MCB Feedback 1/0/0 PBN Feedback 1/0/0
Buy My Cocker Pump! Sexilicious Tri-Fade Dragon FST

University of Michigan, Go Wolverines

#4 PandasEverywhere

PandasEverywhere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

I honestly laughed really hard, but whatever gets people to just buy from the field is worth it, I guess.

#5 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

i would rather not go through the trouble of putting metal into a paintball to weight it. i'd rather just make a casting of one and shoot lead balls, after i've frozen them of course. 

or perhaps we could inject mercury into a paintball, so if you let someone get close enough to break your skin with a shot you'll die. all are just as likely.

Edited by LUXOR54, 20 August 2013 - 11:59 AM.

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock1 of 100 XSV axe pro. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#6 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

I highly doubt it's ever been attempted, and even if were, been successfully implemented. I just doubt anybody off the street could successfully inject metal shavings into a paintball with a large enough gauge syringe/needle, and then perfectly reseal it so it doesn't just come apart in a loader or your gun. 

Doubtful at best. 

#7 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

or perhaps we could inject mercury into a paintball, so if you let someone get close enough to break your skin with a shot you'll die. all are just as likely.

This is not really true. Elemental mercury is not easily absorbed by the skin or through ingestion, the biggest danger is the chance that it will release mercury vapor. The case you're probably thinking of was when a researcher spilled dimethylmercury on her gloved hand, which is one of the strongest known neurotoxins.

#8 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

It's interesting that this isn't just a rationalization for FPO. They not only require you to use their paint, but they won't let you bring it back to use another day if you have any left over. I'm surprised they didn't warn you about the nerve gas-coated paintballs some players are (allegedly) using. Yes, I just made that up.

#9 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • 15,646 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I hear Bob Long uses a syringe to suck the paint out of paintballs so they weigh less for his efficiency tests.

:dodgy:

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#10 LUXOR54

LUXOR54

TechPB's smart ass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

This is not really true. Elemental mercury is not easily absorbed by the skin or through ingestion, the biggest danger is the chance that it will release mercury vapor. The case you're probably thinking of was when a researcher spilled dimethylmercury on her gloved hand, which is one of the strongest known neurotoxins.

:mellow: ...sure, lets go with that

Edited by LUXOR54, 20 August 2013 - 12:11 PM.

DLX Luxe, 2k5 ccm'd superstock1 of 100 XSV axe pro. up north where we like maple syrup and hockey.

#11 cmc1367

cmc1367

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Probably just a way to make more money.  If you can't bring back even their own field paint then you are likely to buy more and just shoot off any extra's.  That also makes it so someone can't (as someone once suggested on this forum to) go buy the same paint cheaper and bring it in like it is field paint.

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

Its bullshit plain and simple. Just a lie that gets people to spend more money on paint and perpetuating stupid myths like "frozen paintballs".

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Give me your fields number, I am going to tear someone a new one about "frozen paintballs". A website link to this on their website would be nice too.

#14 Jweb

Jweb

Cardinal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sounds like your field got tired of having people complain about not being able to bring their own paint, and decided to just print random stuff that sounds bad that nobody actually does.

That's what I was thinking too. I mean to me it would have been better (and more honest) to just explain that it's FPO and that's it. I'm assuming the policy is mostly due to insurance reasons and all but like I said it would have been more honest to just say that "our insurance policy has us by the balls (pun not intended) and that's why our policies are the way they are." I guess it's not a huge issue but it just strikes me as being really dishonest, and that kind of stuff bothers me.

Give me your fields number, I am going to tear someone a new one about "frozen paintballs". A website link to this on their website would be nice too.

Not quite sure how to respond to this one, I can PM you the field's site and contact info but I don't really see the point of screaming at them for it. It wasn't my intention for something like that to happen by making this thread in the first place.

I kind of like neck shots, they give other people the impression that I have a social life.

#15 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

He wont scream at them, just educate them on how their unethical business practices hurt their business and the sport.

#16 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

He wont scream at them, just educate them on how their unethical business practices hurt their business and the sport.

Bingo and a quick google search found me the information. 1 more hour till I get to call them.

#17 Jweb

Jweb

Cardinal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Ahh I see, to me "tearing someone a new one" and "educating them" have always been two very different things but I get it ;)

And yeah I did a Google search on it before I posted the thread and ironically the only thing that came up was my field's site.

#18 Kevin

Kevin

King of low-end

• BST Moderator
  • 10,210 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

QFT

I am qmto on youtube, i make funny videos because i love you all.
My Feedback 34/0/0
brasseagletechpblogo.gif

GUNS!!! Buy them please!

#19 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

When I was younger I heard the myths of metal and freezing paintballs. That's why I didn't start when I was like 10 when I heard that before my friends birthday. I played a couple years later and fell in love with the sport <3_<3

Buy one of these if you want a cheap but nice electro!!!
DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#20 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

If you pierce a hole in a paintball to "inject metal shavings" the paintball will just break in the barrel as soon as it is fired. So that is pointless. 

Paintballs don't freeze, I play in severe cold often, and to think a FIELD is promoting that stupidity... Well, I would find a different field.

Fact is, paintball fields are "field paint only" because that is how they MAKE MONEY. They buy it for cheaper than they sell it, the profits pay for insurance, employees and costs to own the field. Don't want to pay higher prices for paint, then don't go play at public fields...

But, for them to LIE about why they are field paint only is annoying. Man up and just say why you charge what you charge. People will respect that better than "duhh, paintballs will freeze... or someone will put metal in them...".

You can ruin their entire argument, by asking if you can buy the paint today to play with it tomorrow... They will sell it to you and you can leave and fill it with metal (which doesn't work) or freeze it (again, doesn't work). And that is with THEIR paint...

Stupidity... 

#21 your_colourful_elimination

your_colourful_elimination

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

If anyone is adding metal shavings to fieldpaint, this should be treated as assault. Paintballs are 3 to 3.8 grams by design for safety.

The military did conduct studies adding bismuth. It is nearly as heavy as lead but much lower toxicity. Its the stuff in pepto bismol.

The US Army goal was to improve:
- weight (4, 6, and 8 grams)
- range (up to 100 meters)
- dispersion
- force WITHIN less-lethal

More important factors than ball weight, were:
- Gas seal behind the paintball
- Fill mass symmetry

Injecting bismuth caused it to shift during launch and spin wildly off course. RIFLING of the barrel did not compensate for the mass assymetry. Paintballs which exhibit mass displacement swerved immediately after leaving the barrel.

Goes without repeating that OVERboring caused gas leak and balls "rolling" out of barrel with poor velocity.

6g and 8g shots still performed poorly beyond 30m or when velocity was below 220fps. The goal of these studies to reach 45, 60, 75 and 100m could not be achieved.

Also under 15mps (50fps) velocity, balls did not break.

Edited by your_colourful_elimination, 17 October 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#22 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

your point?

If anyone is adding metal shavings to fieldpaint, this should be treated as assault. Paintballs are 3 to 3.8 grams by design for safety.

The military did conduct studies adding bismuth. It is nearly as heavy as lead but much lower toxicity. Its the stuff in pepto bismol.

The US Army goal was to improve:
- weight (4, 6, and 8 grams)
- range (up to 100 meters)
- dispersion
- force WITHIN less-lethal

More important factors than ball weight, were:
- Gas seal behind the paintball
- Fill mass symmetry

Injecting bismuth caused it to shift during launch and spin wildly off course. RIFLING of the barrel did not compensate for the mass assymetry. Paintballs which exhibit mass displacement swerved immediately after leaving the barrel.

Goes without repeating that OVERboring caused gas leak and balls "rolling" out of barrel with poor velocity.

6g and 8g shots still performed poorly beyond 30m or when velocity was below 220fps. The goal of these studies to reach 45, 60, 75 and 100m could not be achieved.

Also under 15mps (50fps) velocity, balls did not break.

your point?

Lulzjustacat.png

#23 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:42 PM

In before the lock

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#24 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Motherfucking Science'd.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#25 your_colourful_elimination

your_colourful_elimination

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Too many troll kids here...

Calling you out III Kezia III,

Edited by your_colourful_elimination, 17 October 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#26 mister827

mister827

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

If you have actually ever frozen paintballs it gives you a disadvantage sorta.  Frozen paintballs dent easily and dont splat like normal paintballs (smaller splat). They are brittle tho but dont hurt more or anything.  The paint inside the paintballs wont freeze into like a ice cube or anything.  Maybe dry ice or liquid nitrogen can freeze the centers but that would just hurt someone and if theres no splat. taking time to individually inject each ball seems like a lot of work. 

#27 The Crazy Cow

The Crazy Cow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

So what happens if I show up with a sealed box/bag of paint.

Moo.

#28 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,067 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Nothing, you wouldn't be allowed to use them.

#29 The Crazy Cow

The Crazy Cow

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Nothing, you wouldn't be allowed to use them.

Oh well. What field is this at?

Moo.

#30 mister827

mister827

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

One of my fields told me straight up you can't bring paint because they need to sell paint to stay in business. If everyone brought their own paint they wouldn't make money which is reasonable.  

#31 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Pretty boss if there was metal shavings .
109.gif

#32 Just Me

Just Me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

I am waiting to see how kingJurzy talk went!  :D 

#33 swiftblade13

swiftblade13

he that is

• Members