Photo

Why do tippmanns have different barrel threads?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 07tjt07

07tjt07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm sorry, this my be a repeat question but seriously, why do they all have different threads? 

P.S. Don't have a tippmann or plan to get one... just wondering...

cpILP7C.jpg

Setup: Dangerous Power G4 Black with Blue accents, 45/4500 crossfire, Halo with exalt speed feed, python compression kit (predecessor to the techt ifit)

#2 Brum4500

Brum4500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

The only reason I could think of is to make more money.  If you have a 98 and go to an a5 then your going to have to buy a new barrel.

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Harder to strip or thats just how they decided to make them. Cheaper to mill too maybe?

#4 IhasAcellular

IhasAcellular

You will never be 9 headbands agg.

• Chat Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

They made a5 threads because 98 threads are terribad, and come unscrewed easily. They dont change 98 threads to a5 threads because it would be confusing when people couldnt buy a "98 threaded barrel" for their 98. 

My guess. 

Posted Image

#5 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

98s have big giant threads because the bodies and thread sections are cast. It's much easier to get good definition on the threads if they're huge. This makes sense for a mass produced low cost rental style gun, especially given that the threads are pretty much impossible to strip. The A5 was meant more for a player with his own equipment, so they made the threads part of their own adapter, for much more precise thread control.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#6 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

I thought they made them larger so it would be faster to screw the barrel into the gun itself. Interesting..

109.gif

#7 Brum4500

Brum4500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

We all have different reasons... I wonder who's right.

#8 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I am. Also, before the 98, Tippmanns used what the A5 uses now. So while we call it A5 threads, they are actually the first threads that Tippmann used for their earlier guns like the pro-lite and pro-carbine. Only for the 98 where they needed more bodies at a cheaper cost with more reliable and long lasting threads did they design the 98 threads.

So really, there's 98 threads, and not-98 threads.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 22 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Fear is the mind-killer

#9 Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I thought they made them larger so it would be faster to screw the barrel into the gun itself. Interesting..

you are correct (at least, that's how they marketed it!). anyway, "a5" threads are hardly new. they just went back to the threads they used 20 years ago.

Edited by Cyco-Dude, 25 August 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#10 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Can I just say that the A-5 quick release barrel system is amazing. I love being able to take my entire barrel off with 1/4 turn of the barrel... I often wondered why other manufacturers never did something similar. 

#11 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Because those would make the front of guns big and bulky to accommodate the adapter. Other guns with twist lock barrels that don't need an adapter exist, like Automags and the Tiberius guns, but those also require longer front ends. Plus, I don't think it's the purpose of the barrel adapter to be quick release; if you tighten down the screws on the front of the gun it is locked into place. The reason it can be taken out by twisting is so you can take everything necessary off the gun without separating body halves. The fact that you use it as a quick release means you don't tighten down your front screws enough and is just a happy coincidence based on the design.

Fear is the mind-killer

#12 FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, they don't "mean" it to be a quick release barrel adapter... But if you set the screws right, it twists off easily, but will stay on in games no problem. (too loose and it falls off, too tight and you can't twist it off easily). There are different versions of the adapter out there, some have an o-ring, and those are hard to take off...(you can remove the o-ring to fix that). I have mine tight enough that I can spin my Apex tip without the barrel coming loose, but I can also grab the barrel and twist it off if needed. 

I made this video and Tippmann didn't like that I showed how easy it is to twist the barrel off... They said it wasn't designed to do that...

Whoops. 

It works really well though! 

Edited by FreeEnterprise, 04 September 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#13 Jaccen

Jaccen

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Tippmann threads to my knowledge were:

Smg60
Smg68 (like A5 only longer)
Sl68 (slip fit)
Proam (commonly called A5)
Model 98 (2 slight variations with the most recent working in all of them)

I'm not super familiar with the slipfits bit I *think* they were all interchangeable.

Smg60 to smg68 changed due to barrel size. I'm guessing the sl68 was slipfit because that was popular in the early 90s (quick access to clean the breech). Proam continued the smg68 thread but didn't need to be as long as it wasn't the stripperclip setup. 98 was for the casting reasons andrew listed. I believe the revision in 98 was for longevity reasons.

Edited by Jaccen, 16 September 2013 - 02:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users