Photo

What do I need to become a Paintball player?

newbie marker hopper tank pants jersey

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Sina HB

Sina HB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hi, as you may have noticed I am a newbie and would like some suggestions and recommendations on few things. 

First of all I would like to know what are the basic parts/accessories that i need to purchase to make  paintball marker functional (i.e hopper,tank...), however I'm not sure if I should purchase a marker now.

I don't know a lot of brands, the only brands that I'm aware of are DYE, Planet Eclipse and Tippmann, therefore if you could provide me with a few brands and with their price range it will be much appreciated. 

Lastly, what are the most durable pants and jerseys on the market?

Thank You :)

#2 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

the things you need to play paintball
1. Mask - your most important item
2. Hopper 
3. Air tank
4. Marker

One other very large company in paintball include Kee Action sports, Kee owns BT,Empire,Invert,and JT. all products from those companies are products made by Kee and are marketed under one of those names.
Kee makes products from low end all the way to high end, generally but not always quality wise Empire>invert>JT , white BT is the scenario/ more military styled side of kee. 

There are A LOT of paintball companies who manufacture a verity of goods so it would be hard to just list companies and price ranges, i recommend just doing research. Visit websites like ans gear and browse sections like markers or tanks to find out what companies there are and then do further research to learn about those companies products.

Everything else is not needed but if you plan to be serious about paintball you can get a pod pack, pants,knee-pads slider shorts elbow pads, and other accessories. When it comes to durability a lot of companies make good stuff, for durability i would look at empire contact pants, the eclipse pants, dye c13 pants, or the exalt thrasher 2 pants. Jerseys are not needed unless you play for a team, otherwise they basically are a look cool item.

i highly recommend you read this entire thread, it is very educational. http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=190149

Edited by fumbimo, 28 August 2013 - 01:28 PM.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#3 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

Be sure you like paintball before pouring a tonne of money into gear, it gets expensive pretty quickly. As above mask is by far and away the most important item, a lightweight mask that you can actually see out of adds more to the game than a gun can. 

I'd only go out and buy and air tank and loader if you are sure you are getting a gun that requires it, alot of the low end guns are fine with a shake and shoot and C02. The GOG line is pretty hard to beat, pick one based on budget and you cant go wrong really, they are the cheapest guns out there that aren't a rip off of the Spyder/Tippmann design (both of which are rental gun designs, and not worth buying).

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#4 Praetorian

Praetorian

Skill? Where can I buy that?!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

The way I look at it.. Paintball is as expensive as you want it to be.. You want to look like "pro" your going to pay like a pro... If your strapped for cash maybe buy a mask and just continue to rent.. And come and go as you please.. Money and objects can only get you so far.. To make yourself a "paintballer" you need 3 simple mental things. 1) know your going to miss life events.. Know ones that are important and not so important. 2) dedication. Know that this sport will consume your time. Every weekend or days off from work you have will be spent on paintball. 3) becoming comfortable being uncomfortable. Every practice every tournament will get uncomfortable at some point with either people you do not know or events you may not like such as a fight. It happens. DO NOT let the money scare you. Let the time to do it frighten you.

#5 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

The way I look at it.. Paintball is as expensive as you want it to be.. You want to look like "pro" your going to pay like a pro... If your strapped for cash maybe buy a mask and just continue to rent.. And come and go as you please.. Money and objects can only get you so far.. To make yourself a "paintballer" you need 3 simple mental things. 1) know your going to miss life events.. Know ones that are important and not so important. 2) dedication. Know that this sport will consume your time. Every weekend or days off from work you have will be spent on paintball. 3) becoming comfortable being uncomfortable. Every practice every tournament will get uncomfortable at some point with either people you do not know or events you may not like such as a fight. It happens. DO NOT let the money scare you. Let the time to do it frighten you.

Nah, far from it.

Empire, Exalt, Dye and Eclipse are the most durable pants in my experience.  Just use a long or short sleeve t-shirt instead of a jersey.  Get knee pads and then elbow pads before pants.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

I wear a long sleeve t. And I often play in shorts... I'm talking about wearing dye from head to foot. You look like a player like the tontons, CEP or ironmen your going to pay for it.

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

That's not dressing like a pro. That's dressing like someone with a gear sponsorship.

#8 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

Lol. You'd be surprised how often I see it

#9 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Durable

DXS Shank V2 pants.

What are you looking for in a marker, what is your budget, and what style of play are you looking at?

#10 r45vt

r45vt

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

I see that a ton at SCvillage... People in full DYE gear head to toe, harness with 7 pods and all they do is sit in the back and get shot towards the end of the round... (I'm sure you've all seen them before)

Back on topic- what is your total budget?

Figure a good mask will run$65-130 (I suggest you try them on in person)
An HPA tank will run you 150-190(for carbon fiber 4500psi) Ninja and guerrilla are recommended a bunch on here. Stay away from the aluminum tanks. They go for $45 but only hold 3000psi so they aren't worth it.

Guns a completely different story.

My youtube channel:

https://www.youtube....QgnGna7lWBK-c3w

Watch some paint splat on people!

#11 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

I feel ya man.  It used to make me angry people dress so goofy but now I just laugh.  There was this one kid with i4s and a Dye headwrap and he had the mesh draping OVER the velcro straps on the back of the headwrap.  It looked like a wedding gown...

#12 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:13 AM

Haha. There was a head wrap from countypaintball.com that made you like phero(sp?) no matter how you wrapped it, it was a great wrap but no matter what you wore or colors you still looked weird.

#13 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

you need agg, if you dont have agg you aint nothing. on a serious note just look at a lot of mike's videos to get you started. http://www.youtube.c...UhBx0NeuDgvtB_Q go here its techpb's youtube channel and look at all of the review videos, budget baller videos and anything equipment and tip related. then after that you should have some knowledge of what you want/brands you might be interested.

Lulzjustacat.png

#14 Sina HB

Sina HB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

the things you need to play paintball
1. Mask - your most important item
2. Hopper 
3. Air tank
4. Marker

One other very large company in paintball include Kee Action sports, Kee owns BT,Empire,Invert,and JT. all products from those companies are products made by Kee and are marketed under one of those names.
Kee makes products from low end all the way to high end, generally but not always quality wise Empire>invert>JT , white BT is the scenario/ more military styled side of kee. 

There are A LOT of paintball companies who manufacture a verity of goods so it would be hard to just list companies and price ranges, i recommend just doing research. Visit websites like ans gear and browse sections like markers or tanks to find out what companies there are and then do further research to learn about those companies products.

Everything else is not needed but if you plan to be serious about paintball you can get a pod pack, pants,knee-pads slider shorts elbow pads, and other accessories. When it comes to durability a lot of companies make good stuff, for durability i would look at empire contact pants, the eclipse pants, dye c13 pants, or the exalt thrasher 2 pants. Jerseys are not needed unless you play for a team, otherwise they basically are a look cool item.

i highly recommend you read this entire thread, it is very educational. http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=190149

thanks for your tip, it was helpful

#15 Sina HB

Sina HB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

Missing life events is usually part of commitment to something, but it was a good reminder :). I don't understand your 3rd point, what do you mean by getting uncomfortable with some events, what events?

you need agg, if you dont have agg you aint nothing. on a serious note just look at a lot of mike's videos to get you started. http://www.youtube.c...UhBx0NeuDgvtB_Q go here its techpb's youtube channel and look at all of the review videos, budget baller videos and anything equipment and tip related. then after that you should have some knowledge of what you want/brands you might be interested.

What is an "agg"?

and thanks for the link

#16 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Missing life events is usually part of commitment to something, but it was a good reminder :). I don't understand your 3rd point, what do you mean by getting uncomfortable with some events, what events?

What is an "agg"?

and thanks for the link

agg, is a paintball term, basically its a mix if cool and swag, please do the world a favor and never use the word agg, ever...

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#17 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

What is an "agg"?

and thanks for the link

agg, is a paintball term, basically its a mix if cool and swag, please do the world a favor and never use the word agg, ever...

No doubt. There's a new saying. "Boys have swag, Men have class". I think it fits, just needs a bit of rewording.

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Just because agg and swag share a phoneme doesnt mean they have anything in common.

#19 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just because agg and swag share a phoneme doesnt mean they have anything in common.

the way i see agg used it is like a mix of cool and swag.

58pk.jpg

#20 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

What I meant was.. There is a point in time where something may not feel right or comfortable. Say you have a team.. 3 friends just playing... Well maybe you want to become more than just a division 5 team. You go try out for something better and you make the cut. Most of the time no one cares but you may loose a few friends and gain them as fast. Meeting new people traveling to unknown destinations is what paintball is all about. Becoming comfortable in a uncomfortable environment

#21 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

Exactly, most people that say "agg" don't even understand it.  They are idiots and whatever people's feeling on the original meaning of agg they surely don't know it or understand it.

#22 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

You need to know how to disagree with refs as much as possible. Pant's wise, what I can suggest through experience is my both Sandana and Dye pant's I used to suggest my Contacts however recently I've been using them less and less,

109.gif

#23 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Exactly, most people that say "agg" don't even understand it.  They are idiots and whatever people's feeling on the original meaning of agg they surely don't know it or understand it.

The same can be said of Swag. Though it is funny what the younger generations picks up and runs with these days. I remember when "Swag" was what a pirate kept in his hold. And a "merkin" was a pubic wig. Guess I'm old.

#24 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

BurningPlaydoh is an agglet
109.gif

#25 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,859 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

http://www.techpb.co...showtopic=22222 

I want you to read this it will tell you EVERYTHING! :) 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#26 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

You need to know how to disagree with refs as much as possible.

That sounds like a really dumb idea.

RAWR?

#27 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

thats how you win tourneys bro, those red flags are totally points  :dodgy:

109.gif

#28 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Agg=OG?

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#29 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

Agg=OG?

To some extent, but you cant just throw a Club Trunk on and be agg.

#30 PaintBallRambo

PaintBallRambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hi, im looking to start PaintBall/SpeedBall - ( I'm gonna have to buy some gear since they're only providing us with stuff for the 1st season) 

Marker/gun - Proto Rail 2011 or GoG Envy w/ Blackheart Board. $250

Mask - ?

Tank -  ?

Hopper - Proto Primo $12.95

Please Reply. Thank You :)

#31 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Agg=OG?

To some extent, but you cant just throw a Club Trunk on and be agg.

Lol if you pay $900 + for a headwrap then you are auto agged

109.gif

#32 AJpaintball4life

AJpaintball4life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hi, as you may have noticed I am a newbie and would like some suggestions and recommendations on few things. 

First of all I would like to know what are the basic parts/accessories that i need to purchase to make  paintball marker functional (i.e hopper,tank...), however I'm not sure if I should purchase a marker now.

I don't know a lot of brands, the only brands that I'm aware of are DYE, Planet Eclipse and Tippmann, therefore if you could provide me with a few brands and with their price range it will be much appreciated. 

Lastly, what are the most durable pants and jerseys on the market?

Thank You :)

Sometimes you gotta jump right in to learn everything, but Checkout these two posts, It'll give you some insights on paintball markers and things you need for a game;

http://bit.ly/17p7lJs

http://bit.ly/15q9vsp

Lowest price Paintball equipments

http://paintballgunsforsalenow.com

Over 2000 fans on Facebook:
https://www.facebook...sforsalenowpage

#33 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Money.

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#34 TIGREX ZX

TIGREX ZX

The Asian guy that picks your rice.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi, im looking to start PaintBall/SpeedBall - ( I'm gonna have to buy some gear since they're only providing us with stuff for the 1st season) 

Marker/gun - Proto Rail 2011 or GoG Envy w/ Blackheart Board. $250

Mask - Which ever fits you the best. Go to a local paintball store and try on all the masks. Don't go cheap on the masks. The mask is very important to a fun and safe time at the field.

Tank -  Carbon Fiber, Preferably a tank from Ninja ;) 

Hopper - Proto Primo $12.95

Please Reply. Thank You :)

Edited by TIGREX ZX, 07 September 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Why hello there :)

Livin' that luxe life

#35 Sina HB

Sina HB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

http://www.techpb.co...showtopic=22222 

I want you to read this it will tell you EVERYTHING! :) 

Thanks a lot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newbie, marker, hopper, tank, pants, jersey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users