• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 FireFly*

FireFly*

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

In Case of Emergency, List some items people should keep handy say in a backpack.

I.  Dust or filter mask :

II.  Plastic sheeting and duct tape :  to seal the room

Edited by FireFly*, 30 August 2013 - 10:00 PM.

#2 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

It's called a bug out bag.

bug-out-bag-xl.jpg

To add to the list:
Survival knife
pocket knife
knife sharpener
rope

solar charger

flashlight

#3 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Jurzy's got most of it covered in the photo above, but I would add a .22lr rifle for snack-hunting.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#4 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

My bag would consist of the 5.11 RUSH MOAB 72 with a RUSH MOAB 12 connected to the back.

#5 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Air/pellet rifle cheaper then a 22. but just as deadly.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#6 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

TechPB's Resident Angry Veteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

i would love to see your opinion/experience with this... as well as facts to back it up... becuase from what i have seen, a standard pellet rifle will shoot at about 1000FPS or less... where as .22lr can hit 2000+fps... will a pellet gun kill small game at close range? of course it will, they are popular for shooting pest animals, like invasive bird species... but, a .22 is superior all around to a pellet gun

Shocktech Aftershock SFL team cocker, serial number 1
Mini Orracle pump, Eclipse internals, Sanchez Machine pump kit and grip frame
Mossberg 500 ZMB

OSG Paintball biggest and best field in NH... show them some love

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#7 Blade of grass

Blade of grass

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

i would love to see your opinion/experience with this... as well as facts to back it up... becuase from what i have seen, a standard pellet rifle will shoot at about 1000FPS or less... where as .22lr can hit 2000+fps... will a pellet gun kill small game at close range? of course it will, they are popular for shooting pest animals, like invasive bird species... but, a .22 is superior all around to a pellet gun

In Canada pellet rifles shoot < 500 FPS or else they're classified as firearms

Lol

all my legos are stored at my parents hose... so that wont be happening....

48fhih.png

#8 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

I would prefer a 10/22 with like 3 banana mags over a shotgun with that few shells.

Yeah blah blah blah stopping power blah blah I know

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#9 Corysllw

Corysllw

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

D6A9D7E9-ED96-4FCD-885F-276948DC015A-261

#10 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

the reason shot guns are so popular for bug out bags is because of the variety of ammunition for them... if you can fit it in a shot shell, you can shoot it

Mossberg 500 ZMB

"I wish I had 2000 feet. So i could shove 500 of them up each of your asses!!!!" Red Foreman

#11 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

if you can fit it in a shot shell, you can shoot it

Play dough

Sausage

My favorite.. the gummy bear

#12 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

yup, pretty funny channel

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#13 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Improvise loads for the shotgun in SHTF.

Also to OEF, I was going with a pellet rifle do to they will get the job done for small game and bird etc which would be the same point of a 22lr. Yes I know, I know the 22. is better etc just was adding my thoughts if somebody wants another option for a smaller caliber. Also with ammo prices right now, the pellet rifle even with high grade pellets still is cheaper.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#14 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

they are cheaper for a reason... the beauty of having a .22 is that you can not only use them to hunt, but to defend yourself... a pellet gun is just gonna piss off anything bigger then a dog if you shoot it... 

yes, a pellet gun will take birds, squirrels and other small game... but its a very very limited tool... one of the key things with bug out bags or SHTF kits is to pick and choose items that serve multiple purposes... a small caliber firearm that can take down any reasonable game in your area for hunting, and be able to defend yourself with it is more ideal then have 3 or 4 different special purpose weapons. 

you have to pack smart and you have to be realistic... if you are going to pack a firearm, dotn get an off caliber... there are a finite number of bullets in the world, why would you want to carry something that has and even smaller number of available ammo?

for me, my bug out kit as far as weapons go, will consist if 3 fire arms, my .45 that i will wear on my person, my long rifle, .308, and a 12 guage for general purpose. as for edged weapons and tools. my camp axe, a small utility folder, and my fixed blade... the rest of my bag is going to be filled with the supplies i will need to sustain myself and only myself.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#15 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

The .22 is also a very lethal caliber despite its size. A pellet gun will hurt like hell, a .22 will do actual damage.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#16 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

I'll take the 20 Gauge before I take a 22lr. Ya ya ya I know 22. is lethal but I still want my shotgun.

#17 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

ill take a shot gun over a .22... but 12ga not 20.... but, dont limit yourself to one firearm in you bug out bag... it may end up being more weight, but here is what my big out bag consists of... long rifle in an easy access case on the bag... .45 on my hip.... shotgun that i carry

something very important to remember with a bug out bag... you are not going to find yourself in a survival situation like you would see on Survivor man, Dual Survival or Man Woman Wife... if you do, you packed wrong... your bug out bag should have tools and supplies in it so that you dont have to make emergency shelters, or have to rub 2 sticks together to make a fire... you should have a guide to wild edibles, know how to trap and hunt, how to make fish traps and such. knowing how to inprovise your camp is a plus, because shit happens, but if you cant do something because you didnt pack the right material, thats on you. in a survival situation you are put there by chance, or fate... in a bug out situation, you are leaving your location for what you deem to be a safer one, if thats the woods, you better have the skills and the supplies to aide in your survival out there. be prepared, or perrish

Edited by OEFVeteran, 02 September 2013 - 01:38 PM.

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#18 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

They make those single shot 12's buy a converter kit and you can shoot 12,20,9mm,22.,380 etc......

I would choose 12 gauge over 20 but all I have is a 20 that's why I said it.

#19 SlovPeter

SlovPeter

Been here since the beginning!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Lmao bugging out should be a last resort. However in mine it would contain alot of gear.

A 72 hour kit would be better for as a get home bag. Bugging out means you never are coming home.

Evacuation means you will. So, loads and terms vary.

For my 72 hour kit it has basic high carb protein foods with 4-5 ways to start fire. I have ammo for my Ar 15. Around 200 rounds and a .22 or conversion for small game.

However, evacuation could mean just going to another state.

Most bugging situations are various.

So, I think a 72 hour kit should really have a baseline for 2 changes of clothes, food for 3 days and water purification in 3 ways.

Most of that criteria is good enough to suit situations. Based on kit and space, you can add or reduce what you have due to each situation.

Don't pigeon hole yourself into a fantasy ideal scenario when something else could happen.

I would suggest as a Edc a folding knife, small hand held light like surefire or stream light. Also, conceal carry if you're a gun owner.

So, that should suit most things

My Feedback 20/0

BORG YOU WILL BE MISSED.

#20 OEFVeteran

OEFVeteran

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

i pack my bug out big just like i did in the army... field stripped MRE's, multiple fire starters, simple esbit stove that can also burn wood and other dry fuels, supplies to make an imporvised shelter if needed, as well as a hammock with seperate rain fly. i've had to rebuild my kit as i've sold itmes off to pay for bills and such... but a bug out kit/bush kit/evac kit are all the same to me... its a bag i can grab that will have what i need to aide in my survival no matter what the situation... if its a natural disaster, awesome, i can survive... if its a man made reason that i have to leave, well, i dont plan on going back to my place until things settle down and its safe... for me, a bug out situation in the terms of leaving for good means i am packing my jeep with essentials, that means more planning, more gear...

Mossberg 500 ZMB

#21 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:17 PM

If I had to pick one gun for the apocalypse, I'd be my Ruger 10/22.

- Cheap ammo
-Zero recoil so you can shoot multiple times and not have to worry about missing
- Ammo for .22lr is readily available in large quantities
- .22lr is relatively cheap
- lightweight so it won't weigh you down
-can be used to hunt small game or protect from other humans
-accurate
- easy to maintain
- reliable

I'd much rather carry more than one, but if I had to pick one, I'd be my 22.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#22 That one guy

That one guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Fixed blade knife,waterproof matches, flint, sewing kit, compass, mirror, saftey pins, finger saw wire thing, antiseptic cream, pliers w/ wire cutters, folding knife, compact shovel, a few pieces of cloth, fishing hooks, vitamins, thermal blankets (3), protien tablets, regular and compact sized flashlight, insect spray, duct tape, air rifle and pellets, whistle, soap, MRE'S (8), flares(3) (roadside etc), extra clothes and thick socks, Headache medicine, string/rope, Bandannas to cover face from dirt, dust etc, water purification tablets.

Things I am considering: Gas mask, Expandble Baton, Less-Than-Lethal shells for the 20 Gauge, and Lethal which I already have, water bottles, and a few other things.

#23 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

if you can fit it in a shot shell, you can shoot it

Play dough

Sausage

My favorite.. the gummy bear
:'(