13 replies to this topic

#1 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

So guys starting Wednesday I begin a new chapter of my life. I'm starting a college education, my entire life I have been totally sure of what I wanted to do and where I stood but now I feel totally lost. I am simply doing a few years at a local community college to take care of the prerequisite courses for a RN Program to transfer. I can also say that for once in my life I am legitimately scared, I have never been one to get nervous, or let things shake my confidence. 

Throughout high school I was the token underachiever, always able to put forth minimal effort and scrape by with a B instead of applying myself and doing my best I elected to take the easy road. Now i'm taking a pretty hardcore course load my first semester. (Psyche 1, Soch 1, Comp 1, Stats, A&P Bio 3) 

I am also working weekends, wrapping up the season, and trying to spend as much time as humanly possible with my best friend before he ships off for Naval boot camp. Otherwise real life is starting and I feel totally unprepared for it. Anyone else in my shoes or recently in them? Can you lend any words of wisdom to a friend? Thanks guys X.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#2 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

Don't be so nervous about it. Honestly, I was in the exact same situation going into it, and I felt the exact same way as well. I was an underachiever in high school, and I felt nervous going into it. The only difference with me was that this happened to me a year ago. It took me about the first week to adjust to how things work, but once you figure out where to go and when, it's like a much more relaxed high school with way more freedom.

But there is one thing that you will have to change. The underachiever thing doesn't really work in college. It just doesn't. What you did to get a B in high school will just barely get you a passing grade.

The difference is the amount of work and discipline. There are less assignments in college, and teachers/instructors don't give a shit whether or not you do the work. This means that each individual assignment is that much more important, and it's all on you to make sure it gets done. If you manage to stay on top of it, which honestly isn't that bad if you get right down to it, you'll find that college can be easier and more relaxed than high school.

Just walk into it like it's no big deal (because it isn't), pay attention to what's going on, don't fuck around too much, and you'll be alright.

#3 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Thanks man, I just named my new SL94 after you.  :wub:

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

#4 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

You'll be fine. Seriously though, even though it looks like a big course load, and you'll probably end up with lots of homework, they'll all be easy classes. Especially if you're good enough to not give a fuck and still get B's up until now, just think how easy it will be if you actually start giving a fuck in class?

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#5 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

You'll be fine. Seriously though, even though it looks like a big course load, and you'll probably end up with lots of homework, they'll all be easy classes. Especially if you're good enough to not give a fuck and still get B's up until now, just think how easy it will be if you actually start giving a fuck in class?

I hope so, the big thing that is really getting to me is that I dont know anyone in any of my classes. Im going into this cold turkey, I am captain antisocial and it takes a lot of warming up before I get used to people. Gahhh new friends... FUCK!

#6 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,861 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Start a study group.

community-nbc-joel-mchale-cast.jpg

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 • Feedback - 23/0/0

Fear is the mind-killer

#7 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Can it be a "special" study group? :P All through high school the extent of my studying was surfing tech pb and pbn for useless crap I dont think I ever spent a single second of my time studying. 

#8 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Just remember this one term in which will carry you thru anything lol...... #YOLO

Edited by That one guy, 03 September 2013 - 06:54 AM.

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#9 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Remember, the rule of the rhyme.

B's get degrees

C's get degrees

or if you're in one of those special super secret 4(5,6,7?) year diploma groups

D's get degrees

On a serious note, seriously, many companies WILL NOT hire or even interview someone with an A average.  Many students out of college with a grade point average that high are literally considered nerds with no social life or social skills.  They avoid them and go for the 3.0 GPA grads.  I've been told this by every company I've applied at.  Mechanical Engineering is my major.

I do recommend anyone tries as hard as they can for grades, take this post with a grain of salt.  Many careers require a high GPA to even be considered for a position.

#10 junits15

junits15

And now I am become death, destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oDozqp8lDd0

Your title made me think of this ^

I'm in your shoes right now man, I started 2 weeks ago and I still haven't fully settled in. It's weird, but not impossible. 

Your fear about getting good grades and all is not unjustified either, The only bit of advice I can give is this: even when you think you know it review it. Like if you're really confident about a subject matter and you know you're ready for the test, review it again, that's how you get really good grades.  

Posted Image
Borg you will NEVER be forgotten.
TECHPB FEEDBACK IOG FEEDBACK
I bought an Ion.... in hindsight it was a bit of an Impulse buy

#11 reflexowner

reflexowner

Unicorns eat tacos!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Not to hijack this thread but cheevo any words of advise to someone who wants become a mechanical engineer???

#12 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Not to hijack this thread but cheevo any words of advise to someone who wants become a mechanical engineer???

Consider the thread hijacked. I am probably going to major in Mechanical or electronic engineering. Advice (I'm a junior)

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#13 madsnipes

madsnipes

CARNAGE 3!!!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,051 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

So BigX how was your first day of college?

I started yesterday and so far I'm loving it.

#14 thegummybeararmy

thegummybeararmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

I kinda know your feel, I'm in at my school I have to take college classes to graduate. I've only taken a few courses so far but my advice I give to you is to pay attention in class, do the work (it piles up at twice the speed as it does in high school) , and don't drop out of a class because your midterm looked hard or that you got C on a test or midterm. I've been in a class that about had 100+ people in it and by the end of the semester there was little more then half of the original class left, most of them dropped out after the midterm; it was absolutely ridiculous.

I have no idea how to use a sig....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users