• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JQNick

JQNick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

I’ve been doing a bit of research about the equipment necessary for paintball play.  I would like to know the different styles of play and what would be the best equipment for each.  For example, I’ve noticed that during tournament play the players have a specific type of gun, not the ones that look like actual army guns, etc.

1.      I’ve seen words like wood ball, speed ball/hyper-ball,scenario, indoor, etc… can you give me an example of the type of gun/ equipment necessary for each? Also being that I’m a “noob,” I don’t want to go out to a local themed game called World war z game and have a gun that is out of place.  I was looking into purchasing the Alpha black tactical but after watching many youtube videos I’m noticing that no one really has guns like this. Can You give me your opinion on what I should do? 

2.      I need a bit of direction on the course I should take.  I’m extremely inexperienced and want to get the most I can from the sport.  For now I just want to have tons of fun, not really looking into the tournament play just yet.  With that said, what style game-play (wood ball, speed ball/hyper-ball,scenario, indoor,) would you suggest I could look into, and what equipment would be a good starting point? Can you explain each style of game-play?

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

The space looking guns are called speedball guns (these are better almost 100% of the time), the army looking guns are woodsball/milsim guns. You can use either in any form of play, but, woodsball guns tend to be weighed down with crap that doesn't need to be there, and most of the time have a single trigger design, so you cant walk the trigger on them, not that you could anyway as they are usually mechanical and have a trigger pull far too heavy for it.

No matter how you look at it the Alpha Black is a waste of cash. It's a rental 98 with some extra weight added to it in the form of M16 looking plastic. If you are after the milsim look and feel without a terrible gun the Smart Parts SP1 is a great pick, its cheap as hell, I think its $130 on ANS Gear right now. For that its electronic, never ever breaks paint, is very quiet, reliable and easy to maintain. Part upside part downside is that its mostly plastic, it weighs next to nothing but feels pretty cheap, not that any of the Tippmann guns don't. It's hard to argue theres actually a better milsim gun than the SP1, there are things like the X7 Phenom and TM15 but those aren't definitively better at all, both are louder, heavier, bigger and more expensive, though they will get more shots off a tank and the X7 has its own integrated loader.

For speedball guns, the GOG Envy is a SP1 is a speedball body, can't really go wrong. If you want something a little more elaborate the Proto Rail and GOG Extcy are again copy paste's of the SP1 in different bodies. If you want a speedball gun pick one of those. Worth mentioning if you only have access to C02 its better to stick to the SP1 or Envy, the Rail wont do C02 at all and people have been getting issues with the Extcy on C02, but as to if or not thats coincidence is hard to say.

Don't forget the importance of a mask, its 10x more important than what gun you have. Go to a store, try them all on, by the one you like best regardless of price. If that cuts into your gun budget, so be it.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Here's the advice I wish I'd had starting out: Step #1, get yourself a good new mask. Shop for it in person at a paintball store, not a big box sporting goods store. Try on a bunch of different models, and pick something that you can imagine wearing for hours, comfortably. If that's a $30 Helix, great. If it's a $60 Proflex, great. If it's a $110 i4, great. Your mask is the most important piece of equipment both from a safety perspective, and also from a comfort and effectiveness perspective. I spent my first several paintball outings in a fog, literally, because the crappy, scratched-up rental masks fogged up. Couldn't see where I was going, couldn't see what I was shooting at, or who was shooting at me. Step #2, resist the urge to buy everything else. Step #3, go out and play at the fields that are convenient to where you live. Rent your marker, hopper, and tank. Don't be afraid of looking like a noob. Play as much as you can. Talk to people at the fields. Ask them about their gear. Maybe they'll let you try it out. Try all the fields that are close by. Try all the different games they offer. It would be silly for me to tell you what kind of paintball to play. I love to play open class pump speedball, but maybe you'll like scenarios or CQB or XBall or who knows what. Maybe you'll like it all. Get involved with your local paintball scene and work from there.

#4 MKVIGTI

MKVIGTI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

^ open class pump speedball is where it's at!

#5 Lt. Blood

Lt. Blood

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Give us a budget and we can work out the best gear for every scenario. No marker will ever be out of place unless you are bringing a marker themed to look like a real gun into speedball. Overall I would advise trying 1 each weekend and see what you find the most fun. I personally would invest 300 dollars into a gun to have something that lasts for over 5 years easily and can be used to the fullest in any scenario. After you post your budget I will find you the perfect set up for how much you are willing to spend.

For all types of paintball you can wear regular clothes; with that being said unless you are going to a tournament. When I started I would play in shorts and a t-shirt. If you are afraid of bruises or welts long sleeves and jeans will do the trick. All you ever will need is a hopper tank and marker (gun). After that you can get things like pod packs when you begin shooting alot and clothes for your area in which you have chosen to dedicate yourself to. For woodsball camo and speedball speedball clothing. It's not dressing like a pro or having equipment specifically made for one area its all about how you play and on top of all having fun so no matter what happens be sure to stay in your budget and not pay attention to people telling you your gear isn't to their standards. Where i'm from we like to have fun and with a little info on your budget we can get you up and running in no time!

80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that hates that shit , put this in your sig!Go ahead and throw your ions. I'll just catch them and throw em' back, except harder You may live in a 500,000 dollar house but i live in a 2 dollar box under a 6,000,000 dollar bridgeSave a rock,throw a tippmann its ok you won't be able to hurt it.put this on ur sig if u feel a need to call paintcheck........even if all you can see is orange! If you live in Panama, hit me up.

#6 JQNick

JQNick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

After reading a few forums and speaking to my grandfather ( he's a hunter. He seems to purchase similar things..minus the mask), I'm learning that maybe I shouldn't purchase the gun just yet. That I should purchase things slowly.  I wanted to just buy it all at one time but I think I'll wait and stack my cash.  Its easier to say what I want to purchase ( the highlights) and you can tell me how much I should put away for it. 

1. I want to purchase a woodball/ milsim marker.  I want a really good one that has upgrade ability, and that can have the automatic trigger. I would like to eventually have a head camera, so I can relive the excitement. 

2. I want to purchase two (2) hand pistols. with 2 extra clips each ( 3 total per pistol)

3. I want to purchase a tournament style gun ( one of the respondents said that its called a speedball gun) for when I eventually get involved in these, but this I could wait much later on. 

4. I know I'll need the helmet, but I got prices on these already.

This is just my ultimate wish list.  No way in my financial possibility am I able to get this currently.  I'm married and have a child on the way.  So slowly but surely I'll like to get this stuff.  What would It cost me to get Numbers 1,2, & 4?

#7 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Get an SP1: http://www.ansgear.c...allgunblack.htm

Don't look into "upgrade potential" because in reality that's just a money sink(I'm almost sure you're talking about Tippmann's that allow you to add an e-trigger, and a cyclone feeder and customize the hell out of your gun). After you're done upgrading you'll realize you've spent hundreds and hundreds when you could have just got a great marker up front. SP1 is the best budget milsim/woodsball marker you're going to get. It's completely electronic on the inside so you will be on par with all the speedball markers, it's completely waterproof(browse youtube, a few videos of it being dumped into rivers and then pulled out and shot). It's durable as hell, and if you're that interested you can upgrade a few things on it, mainly the stock barrel and eventually you can replace the breech/board with the upgraded Blackheart with eyes.

The good thing about the SP-1 is if you upgrade the board(to the aforementioned Blackheart), it's the same board they use in their other speedball markers(at least in that price range). You're going to have a speedball marker, just in a milsim casing and you only need to spend the $50~ for the board and an additional $30 for the breech.

#8 Sina HB

Sina HB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Here's the advice I wish I'd had starting out: Step #1, get yourself a good new mask. Shop for it in person at a paintball store, not a big box sporting goods store. Try on a bunch of different models, and pick something that you can imagine wearing for hours, comfortably. If that's a $30 Helix, great. If it's a $60 Proflex, great. If it's a $110 i4, great. Your mask is the most important piece of equipment both from a safety perspective, and also from a comfort and effectiveness perspective. I spent my first several paintball outings in a fog, literally, because the crappy, scratched-up rental masks fogged up. Couldn't see where I was going, couldn't see what I was shooting at, or who was shooting at me. Step #2, resist the urge to buy everything else. Step #3, go out and play at the fields that are convenient to where you live. Rent your marker, hopper, and tank. Don't be afraid of looking like a noob. Play as much as you can. Talk to people at the fields. Ask them about their gear. Maybe they'll let you try it out. Try all the fields that are close by. Try all the different games they offer. It would be silly for me to tell you what kind of paintball to play. I love to play open class pump speedball, but maybe you'll like scenarios or CQB or XBall or who knows what. Maybe you'll like it all. Get involved with your local paintball scene and work from there.

This was really helpful, especially number 2 and 3, thanks.

#9 tcheekdye

tcheekdye

Bitch im just bustin at em

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Don't buy the pistols. There's no point unless you literally just have money to piss away. get the sp1. That's the best gun to start off with, but buy the mask first. Don't worry about the tank. That's the least important thing to worry about in my opinion. All you should worry about is mask, gun, and hopper.

giphy.gifTECH PB HEAVY METAL FAN CLUB  http://www.techpb.co...metal-fan-club/

#10 GirlWithaAxe

GirlWithaAxe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

^ open class pump speedball is where it's at!

right on man

my baby... my sweet  sweet axe...

#11 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Don't buy the pistols. There's no point unless you literally just have money to piss away. get the sp1. That's the best gun to start off with, but buy the mask first. Don't worry about the tank. That's the least important thing to worry about in my opinion. All you should worry about is mask, gun, and hopper.

With the SP1 he's going to want either HPA or anti-siphoned C02. Or if he doesn't run anti-siphoned he will need to run a remote line.

At least, this is manufacturer recommendation, I think because of the potential for liquid C02 to cause damage.

Edited by dustyshouri, 06 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

With the SP1 he's going to want either HPA or anti-siphoned C02. Or if he doesn't run anti-siphoned he will need to run a remote line.

At least, this is manufacturer recommendation, I think because of the potential for liquid C02 to damage the electronics.
CO2 doesnt come in contact with the electronics.

#13 dustyshouri

dustyshouri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

At least, this is manufacturer recommendation, I think because of the potential for liquid C02 to damage the electronics.

CO2 doesnt come in contact with the electronics.

Ya this was a mistake on my part, I couldn't quite remember so I took a guess. I had already edited the post, you just replied too fast :P

Liquid C02 is apparently bad for low-pressure markers(which the SP1 is). BUT, it looks like the SP1/G1 handles it better than others. I swore I remember reading that it shouldn't be used without anti-siphoned C02 but the manual is merely suggesting it.

SyqCHkQ.png

Edited by dustyshouri, 06 September 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#14 houstonheatfan

houstonheatfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

ur looking at 400 to 1000

i personally think that u should just go with tournament like the etha u can buy a kit that goes around it to make it look like woodsball i made the same mistake i bought a jt tactical cuz it looked cool but then i wanted speedball

#15 No Mercy Ever

No Mercy Ever

Sophomore Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Basically, you have woodsball, and speedball.  Everything else is a derivative of those two.  And even then, it is all paintball.  So, working off that, woodsball is played, obviously, in the woods.  Sometimes, fields don't have actual woods, so it doesn't matter, desert, whatever, still refferes to as woodsball.  This tends to be larger fields, and longer games.  Speedball is generally on a more manmade field, level ground, with inflatable bunkers or tubing.  The field tends to be mirrored, meaning that if there is bunker 30 feet, to the right of where you start on one side of the field, there will be one about 30 feet away, to their left, on the other side of the field.  A scenario is woodsball, where there is a theme.  Like soldiers versus aliens,  People will dress up, and you will see some role player, people that have roles to try to get things done that don't involve shooting the other team, or to trick the other team so that they can get close to shoot someone important.  Airball is speedball played on a field where the bunkers are inflated oversized ballons, and hyperball is the same, but the bunkers are corragated irrigation tubes.  Indoor is generally speedball, as the building can't be acres in size.

In the end, as I said, it is all paintball.

As to a marker, that is your choice.  If you want the Alpha Black, go for it.  Don't let other videos influence you not getting it.  I am not trying to say that you shouldn't get the marker, but understand this, you can get a Tippmann 98, for less, and it will do everything that the Alpha Black will do, yet smaller and a bit lighter.  The internal bolt system is exactly the same between the two, it just doesn't have the extra bulk of a M-16 body.  You can get some other markers out there as well, like the Salvo, that will do the job, just a bit smaller body, but probably the same weight.

#16 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

"Speedball" and "woodsball" are human distinctions and the gear does not care where it's being used.

#17 mattfat31

mattfat31

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

I would buy a electronic marker for all types of play. They are alot lighter and are pretty easy to maintain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users