#1 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

Officially Sponsored by China Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Well, depressing to me at least.

Let me start off with my life story, trust me it's relevant.

As a young child, I wanted to be an astronaut. Yeah, just like every other child.

As I was growing up, I liked to open things and figure out how they work, and with the advent of the internet I wanted to know what job would have me take things apart.

Turns out, that's what an engineer is (essentially).

For the longest time I wanted to be an engineer, I took up the engineering elective in middle school and I'm currently in my 3rd year of the 4 year program in high school.

I always thought I wanted to be an engineer.

And then I took a look at things.

I don't want to be working behind a desk all day.

Sure, it makes bank but what the fuck am I going to do with the money if I'm depressed?

I don't want to be in an anti-social environment.

I think it's because I don't want to grow up.

That's what this rant is about. How I don't want to grow up.

I'm not ready for a desk job, and I don't think I'll ever be ready. I like to be a social guy, and obviously working at a desk doesn't work out for me.

My main goal in life is to make people happy. I really don't like it to see people sad.

So I've considered the entertainment business.

What's not to like about that? It's where I feel like I belong because I don't have to sit behind a desk, doing stuff on the computer.

You get to be in a social environment, you get to make people happy when they see your show/movie/commercial (there's a lot of good ones out there) etc.

Also, I already had a little experience as an extra so I know how the industry works.

Too bad that as a B-Actor you don't get paid much. I don't like that.

Also, I've been trying to get an agent the entire year that I tried it out. I suck too much at acting to be able to get a callback. It also shows how difficult it is to land an agent.

So scratch acting.

Music?

Sure, I can play piano, music is awesome and I love it.

Too bad I can't sing.

Piano alone has little to no relevance in the modern music world if you can't sing.

I tried learning guitar.

I guess I can join a band if I'm good enough.

I don't see myself going that far.

Okay, so the 2 main career options that fit my life goal has both reached dead ends.

Honestly, I just cannot see myself as an engineer currently. That may change, and I realize that but right now it's not where I want to take my life.

It seems so boring.

Get engineering job, get money.

Get married

spend money

get house

spend money

get kids

spend money

grow up with kids

die

I just can't comprehend that there won't be anything worthwile in my life.

I just can't.

And this is all my Honors Am. Lit teacher.

She's the one that made me realize that my time on this planet is so limited. 

And now I want to basically YOLO my life.

I guess I could use some help.

Maybe I should seek a therapist.

#2 TheGuy

TheGuy

I like lamp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just because an engineering degree/job is associated with anti-social people doesnt mean you will become one. Although engineering is one of the more difficult degrees in college, you should still have time to go out and meet teh ladies.

If you dont let yourself become anti-social, then you wont. If you decide you don't want to be an engineer, then do something else. There are so many degrees that you will eventually find the perfect match.

Feedback 7/0/0

Rest In Peace

Danijel "Borg" Jagodic

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Fuck the 40-hour work week.  Do what you enjoy and what you feel is important.  The world needs more people that aren't content with the status quo.

#4 CPS

CPS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sanitation Engineer? you get to make people happy and you're not in a desk all day! sounds like a win win to me :dodgy: 

#5 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Fuck the 40-hour work week.  Do what you enjoy and what you feel is important.  The world needs more people that aren't content with the status quo.

That's really what I want to do.

But my family is depending on me to get good grades to get good job to get good money.

Asians man.

#6 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

I wanted to be an Austronaut too. In MS I wanted to be a lawyer, and now as a junior I want to be an Electrical Engineer. Just do research. You'll find something you like.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#7 Panda's Revenge

Panda's Revenge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

I wanted to be an Austronaut too. In MS I wanted to be a lawyer, and now as a junior I want to be an Electrical Engineer. Just do research. You'll find something you like.

I know what I like, it's just it's a more difficult thing to do without actually doing it as a young child and growing into it.

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

Fuck the 40-hour work week. Do what you enjoy and what you feel is important. The world needs more people that aren't content with the status quo.

That's really what I want to do.
But my family is depending on me to get good grades to get good job to get good money.
Asians man.
Devote yourself to something and success will follow.

#9 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

Fuck desk jobs man. First responder for me. I am taking Fire classes as well as an EMS class and when I get out of the military I will have a huge chance of becoming a cop. Ultimate goal is to become a Firefighter though.

#10 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

Well may I recommend looking into the trades. I don't do well myself sitting still at a desk. I like to get my hands dirty keep my mind active goof around and enjoy life.

I decided way back in high school that I'd take something I enjoyed and make it my job. So I decided to get into being a mechanic. But more specifically either a Truck/Coach/Trailer mechanic or a Heavy Equipment mechanic.

Well I'm 30 now and been working in the trade for 12 years + 1 year in school. I have worked on everything from cars to transport trucks busses and even heavy equipment. I have been licensed for Truck/Trailer & Coach since 2006 and have worked my way from lube tech to head mechanic to even running the shop as management (i hired my replacment and stepped down cause i hated the desk lol).

I get to have fun goof off a bit get my hands dirty. I'm constantly learning and even more so enjoy passing on knowledge to my apprentice (of witch I have had four. Three of witch are now licensed). I am far from rich but I make a damn Good honest living and have HUGE job security (after all if you bought it a truck brought it and trucks break some one has to fix em). It's a very challenging career choice both mentally AND physically. It's never dull and there is always a new challenge (you would be amazed sometimes how stuff breaks).

And you'd think having filled nearly every position in the trade by 30 I'd be bored but that's simply not the case. I still enjoy my carrer choice. I still get a kick out of teaching the ins and outs and I still can be found laughing heavily at work on a daily basis. Coustomers and coworkers alike I consider many as friends now. And in honesty my trip up the ladder was accelerated Thanxs to being in right place at the right time and being willing to try something many were to afraid off. That and well I worked ALOT of overtime to pay for my house witch I got at the age of 21.

All that being said with in 10 years my goal is to leave the shop floor and my shop to go back to school. But this time as a instructor for my chosen trade. I find my greatest thrill these days is training apprentices. And think I'd like to concentrate on that more in the future.

I also intend to write to get my automotive mechanics license and my heavy equipment license simply to challenge myself further.
AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#11 HeroForADay

HeroForADay

• 8,824 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

There was a point in which I thought I was going to be an engineer or Architect, then I realized that shit is boring, and I dislike desks.

So now I work for the government chasing bad guys. It's fun, and I get to see my work from start to finish. The pay is decent, but could be better for the workload I handle, but thats when I usually say fuck it. You're gonna get old, and die anyways... might as well see the world for more than a number in a bank account and the grey walls of an office. I say travel.  

#12 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

Canadians don't need the government to chase badguys, just get your Royal Mounted Police. nothing says swag like a red Santa sweater and a WW1 battle helmet all while on a horse. 

RCMP_Canadian_mountie.JPG

#13 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

I have an engineering job working in a small town in SD.  It's incredibly social.  The plant I work at is approx 450 employees with Mechanical Engineering taking up about 30 of those spots.  The group we have was older when I started but now it's mostly younger men and women.  Average age in the mid to high 20's.  We have a great time.  We go out to the bars on occasion with our bosses, play softball leagues, fantasy leagues, hunt/fish together.  I know most of the guys on the shop floor by name and have no problem sparking up a conversation with a new guy or talking with one of them out at the bars on a Friday.  Hell, I've traveled across a few states to deal with customers on projects as well.  Being an engineer isn't only a desk job by any means.  In my experience its one of the most social manufacturing positions there is.  What's a welder do?  Takes material out of a pallet and sits all day in a stall bonding em together.  Not hating on welders, they do great jobs and some of my best friends are welders, but they don't have to talk to people if they don't want to.  We're talking to suppliers, sourcing, inventory control, manufacturing, final assembly, and finally, the customer.  Some days I spent so much time dealing with all of those people I maybe sit at my desk for 2 hours out of a 8 hour day.

Bottom line is engineering is only as anti-social as you want it to be.  Some of the craziest parties I went to in college were at engineering students houses.  Mostly because we can come up with some crazy drinking apparati. *daydreams of the good 'ole days*

Engineering is for the most part a thankless job, my department is in general, the black sheep of my company, but I wouldn't give it up for anything.  I have a job and degree which allows me to design some crazy shit, I have job security, and to your average person a grudging respect for finishing the 4/5 year program which actually means something.  If you are looking for a big social engineering job it's best to push into the private sector with a firm who designs for clients instead of one type of product.  You'll be dealing with customers, possibly traveling, and obviously the leg work for design or leading a design team.

#14 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Canadians don't need the government to chase badguys, just get your Royal Mounted Police. nothing says swag like a red Santa sweater and a WW1 battle helmet all while on a horse. 

RCMP_Canadian_mountie.JPG

Wrong picture thats North West Mounted Police NOT Royal Canadian Mounted Police. North West Mounted Police came before the RCMP This is a proper Mountie

1462.rcmp_%281%29.jpg

Edited by canscom, 11 September 2013 - 02:22 PM.

Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#15 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I had been through nearly 2 years of university only to realize that I had been going to school for a career I didn't want. Secretly, I have always wanted to be involved in the automotive industry. I wanted to build hot rods, restore classic cars, maybe even build motorcycles. But I never would let myself do it since I thought that job was below me for some reason. I told myself that it would be no more than a hobby. My folks sent me through private school, so I felt obligated to them to get a high paying desk job. I convinced myself that it was what I wanted. I was miserable at school. I was majoring in a business degree that I didn't want. I ended up leaving university, enrolling in an automotive program, and am currently in route to being a certified paint and body man. Eventually I want to be involved in custom work, or high end restoration work, but I'm starting in repair work to gain some real world experience. And I couldn't be happier with my decision. I love metalworking, I love painting. I've always wanted to be an artist, and now I get to be. Cars are my medium.

In short, find your passion and turn it into a career. They say that when you do what you love for a living, you never work a day in your life. So far it holds true for me.

Edited by TacticlTwinkie, 11 September 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#16 REDCOBRA

REDCOBRA

wow such paintball

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Pretty relevant to this thread:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ls1YhhMHdNY

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

Posted Image

#17 That one guy

That one guy

TechPB's most loved member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

This should help:http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TWHNr0BrNgo

You doubt it but yet you don't know crap about it.... People may THINK they know me, but trust me they DON'T.

#18 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

>Rants about swag

>links Wiz Kalifa

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#19 Klub

Klub

i haz a pickle

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

Happiness and life is completely based on how you look at it.

Do what makes you happy, don't worry about income, some of the happiest people I know are almost flat broke. 

#20 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

Have you considered the free time you'll have? My uncle is a computer and software engineer imported from Germany to work on telescopes for the University of Arizona and numerous privatized space research facilities, and yet, has time to work on is plane, play paintball with me often, and go target shooting with his buddies.
I can relate quite well, as I too had my mind set on becoming an engineer(mechanical), despite the fact that I craved social interaction and enjoyment. I was disappointed at the fact that I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself. Then I became an intern at the city in the department where civil, mechanical, and electrical engineers collaborated with city officials and treasurers, and realized that my superiors were guys who made nice amounts of money and had so much free time to travel the world. And they were in their 30's.
I thought about college. I was scared that all I would do is study study study for a grinding 4-6 years. Then I took a look my friends who were in college, pursuing engineering and medical degrees. Just recently I went to the movies with them, two weekends straight. The ones who couldn't make it were at a party. And they have excelling grades. One left to study abroad, while another has a part of his time occupied with NROTC. And yet they still enjoy their life to a YOLO extent.

Just have your priorities straight. Have a clear goal, and make sure it's reasonable and ideal. Set your priorities on that. Then realize that nothing worth having comes easy. After that, realize that you'll have that freedom to do what you want more often than you believe now.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#21 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

But I don't know, maybe it's just me. As nice and proactive all the comments I've read are, it's not me. Maybe it's you. But how I see it is that there's work life, and there's personal life. Work life is to get money doing what you do best, and personal life is for you to enjoy the rewards of your hard work and just your life in general. Me? Desk jobs don't bother me. I felt a sense of pride working as an intern, contributing to a suit and tie, professional machine. The money is so attracting because instead of vacationing once a year to *maybe* out of the country, I'd be vacationing to places of my hearts desire, like my aunt and uncle do multiple times yearly. Instead of partying with buddies on a Saturday drinking beer in the backyard like my friends parents, I'd be going to nice company parties and business trips first class to places like the Philippines, like my parents do often.
But remember, this is just me.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#22 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

If I had to go on a business trip Id probably hang myself before the end of it. Politics and business in the US put on such a facade, it makes me nauseous.

To me business is so unfulfillig because I dont feel I would really make a meaningful difference to the world by my actions and existence.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 13 September 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#23 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,840 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

In my experience, it takes working a shit job to realize what you want to do in life.

Back in high school, I had some ideas of what I wanted to do, but little to no motivation to go for any of them. I ended up joining the Air Force simply because my dad made a 23 year career out of it.

I made great scores in MEPS, but I shot my aspirations a little too high for what I could handle by going for EOD. Needless to say, I failed out half-way through. The Air Force then decided to reclass me into a maintenance job, despite not having any maintenance jobs on my reclass list whatsoever (as if that actually matters to them). But not only that, I got one of the worst maintenance jobs, working one of the most maintenance-heavy airframes in the inventory, at a base I want nothing to do with, with very little chance of doing anything else or going anywhere else.

Now, I don't slump at this supposed dead-end and actually work my ass off to do well and am generally the go-to guy for training new guys. However, there is no way in hell I'm re-enlisting.

Back in high school, I wasn't too concerned with what I want to do as I figured it'll happen when it happens. Now that I'm actually here working what I thought was going to be a career, it made me realize what I want in a career and what I don't want.

I want a job that keeps me active, lets me think critically, and allows me to serve the general public and not some old dude behind a desk who sees me less as a person and more as a means to an end.

And that's why I'm going to be a police officer when I get out of the AF and use my GI Bill for college. More specifically, I want to be a detective, because after 3 years of mind-numbing "exactly-by-the-book" work, my brain needs a good workout.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#24 thegummybeararmy

thegummybeararmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

One word: Intructables. Boom! Engineering meets social network. They even have a small paintball section  :wub:

I have no idea how to use a sig....

#25 Manley

Manley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

I wouldn't say all engineers are anti-social. Now computer science majors, that's a different story. 

I'm currently majoring in engineering and I have a rather healthy social life.

One major you could consider is petroleum engineering. That profession may have some more hands on application when going out to oil rigs. Petroleum engineers, those guys really make bank, even compared to fellow engineering professions.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users