10 replies to this topic

#1 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well a while ago I posted in the rant section about getting hit by a car while out for lunch on one of my motorcycles.

That accident nearly cost me my left leg (was close to completely severed and the bones were BADLY broken/splintered). I also gashed wide open my right leg and have lots of nerve damage in both legs. I re-dislocated my left shoulder (from past injuries) and had road rash on my back. As well I had a concussion and can not remember half hour or so leading to the crash and only glimpses of the the crash and then awakening on the highway surrounded by 5 of the AMAZINGLY helpful witnesses.

The hospital admittedly made several errors on my arrival there and this caused me further complications with a SEVERE bone infection after the fact. The Medication used to treat this infection has further caused issues with my heart rate and possibly now life time of type 2 diabetes.

It has taken 5 surgeries a month & change in hospital combined and a solid 3-4 months of home care nursing.

But Today a full 1 year and 12 days after my accident I put aside the wheelchair, walker and canes I have used now for so long to get around and took 10 INCREDIBLY PAINFUL steps. It's taken me ALOT of hard work to get that much and it will take me FAR more still before I can truly get back to my life But today I'm happy to finally reach some form of mile stone. For the past month I have been getting around better and better on my canes. I been working everyday re training my leg to accept motions it really don't want to do. Exercising to try keep my strength up. I have returned to driving my manual transmission truck. And have started to inquire about lighter duties at work (been off since accident lol it's been one LONG lunch break).

But today I managed to walk normal full stride steps without limping. Something every doc said I would NOT do (for a while it was doubt full I'd keep my leg). Something the physiotherapist said is doubtful at best (so I stopped going). Yes It hurt and hurt ALOT but I took that with a HUGE smile on my face and look forward to pushing for 20 steps before the weekend. And by the end of next month I plan to return to the current surgeon (been three different ones) for my check up and walk in unassisted.

It seems like something soo small something so trivial as even a 1 year old child can muster more But right now I feel amazing happy and well can't rly calm down and sleep so figured I'd share since I all ready driving the girlfriend nuts who's trying to sleep (she was very happy to see me walking but well one of us needs to work lol).

My first shaky steps was actually 12 days ago (1 year anniversary) and that itself was a mile stone. So much so that I celebrated by going out and picking up some performance goodies for my remaining motorcycle I look forward to riding next spring once again.

EDIT: I do not begrudge the lady who hit me as though it sucks and what not I am sure it was far from a intentional act (was 100% her fault according to the ten witnesses that gave statements and from what little I remember). Nor do I have any true distain for the hospital staff (though am annoyed a bit at the emergency docs slip ups and "failure to properly assess the extent of the injurys" (as it was worded in doctors notes lol). As this too I'm sure was far from intentional and possibly due to a high traffic volume that night from what I understand.

CLIFF NOTES: one year 12 days ago I got hit by a car and was hurt pretty bad (could been worse). Today I managed to walk normally for a SHORT distance for the very first time since the accident though be it in much pain.

Edited by TinyBear, 28 October 2013 - 09:11 PM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#2 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'm glad to hear that, I've actually been meaning to pm you about how you've been. I'm just glad that you're able to keep your leg which in turn means paintball. Albeit next year or two (or three?).
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

Whatever you do take it really easy on the painkillers. I know several people whos lives ended up seriously fucked due to opiate addiction from doctor prescribed pain meds.

Wish you a speedy recovery. :)

#4 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

You, sir, are a badass. Keep up the good work and I hope to hear that you are walking completely unassisted soon.

#5 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

I got a paper cut once it hurt. All joking aside keep up the hard work
Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#6 Antonious

Antonious

Forever Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

But today I managed to walk normal full stride steps without limping. Something every doc said I would NOT do (for a while it was doubt full I'd keep my leg). Something the physiotherapist said is doubtful at best (so I stopped going). Yes It hurt and hurt ALOT but I took that with a HUGE smile on my face and look forward to pushing for 20 steps before the weekend. And by the end of next month I plan to return to the current surgeon (been three different ones) for my check up and walk in unassisted.

Don't go too crazy. The last thing you want is to make your situation even worse and regressing back to being bedridden because you got too overzealous with trying to push through.

With that being said, it's great to hear that you're taking steps (both literally and figuratively) to once again having a normal life.

BST Feedback 21/0/0

#7 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Thank you all for kind words.

As for the pain meds no worries I despise pain meds and the numbing feeling I get from them. So I have not touched them for many many months now. Besides the pain is what let's me know were my limits are numbing that down could cause me further complications

And not OVER doing it is by far my biggest struggle as I want to keep pushing and I CAN and would ignore the pain if I knew it would not set me back further. But I'm trying to take it slow and do this right. So I make myself small goals and aim for them and work to complete them by certain dates. BUT only if doc feels its safe according to the wounds and X-rays. Presently I have a little bone healing but most my weight is supported by a titanium rod going from my knee to my ankle inside the bone and screwed at both ends. Doc has said i am free to progress to full weight as I feel fit now though warned it is not something many people feel comfortable with as it is painful until bone heals further. For most part I walk now with a couple canes but will be slowly adding more and more unassisted walking.

I rly miss riding, paintball and working for that matter. And can't wait to get back to it all as the time comes. Want to try for paintball maybe early 2014.

Edited by TinyBear, 25 September 2013 - 06:46 AM.

AGD 68 Automag, AGD RT ULE, Azodin KPII, Sheridan PGP 2k, Tiberius T8.1,Tippmann Pro/Carbine, Tippmann SL-68II

#8 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

That kind of reminded me of this.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=q-D99_UBhaU

Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#9 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Glad to see you are doing much better since the accident. Keep at it.  :tup:

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#10 TinyBear

TinyBear

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well small update. I can now pretty much walk unassisted with moderate pain for a decent distance. I am trying to get clearance to return to work(friggen lawyers don't make that easy). And I even managed to get out to the paintball field (though only to do some gun tuning as I can not run yet). I surprised my doc today when I walked in without canes and my X-rays showed far more bone growth than he expected. FINALLY all my wounds are healed and I can now start swimming to again rebuild strength.

It's a bit tricky as I have no support in my ankle and little to no feeling in my foot. So its a bit like walking on a stick lol. But I can cycle now,walk (no limp for short distances but hurts more), climb stairs, and move about much easier. I can even now manage to get my motorcycle of its side stand (won't ride till spring though promised my girl friend and family).

Next up for me is meeting a personal trainer and hitting the gym and getting this leg ready for my return to work, paintball and all those other things I soo enjoy.

And now for a pic. (HEY my legs got more metal than any GOG/SmartParts gun lol)
b819e053-c7dd-420c-b3c7-436347aa1b26_zps

#11 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Little late to the party but I love X-Rays cool picture hope your doing well.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users