Photo

Cup less than a week away and I've got a problem...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

I'll be leaving for cup in six days and I need some advice regarding school. But first, here's the background.

I'm a freshman, I play basketball at a strong basketball school, and I strive to be a straight 'A' student and usually achieve that.

I'll be missing five days of school. My school defines absences two ways; excused and unexcused.

Through excused absences like being sick, doc appointments, funerals, hw and tests have the same amount of days to be taken as missed.

Through unexcused absences (vacations, everything else really), hw and tests must be made up before or turned in the day of through some means, but it is up to the discretion of the teacher. For anyone wondering its used to prevent people taking vacations during school. Sporting events are a different story tough, thats the catch.

I have worked out everything though all of my teachers (who are very understanding and supportive) with the exception of my spanish teacher. I told her "ill be absent this week from here to here and it will most likely be an unexcused absence. I have all the work done and I would like to take the xxx test before." She stopped me dead and said any work that is due or done that day will be a zero for the grade books and that is the department policy. She also said "if you were going to lie to the school regarding the reason of your absence, you probably should not have told me because now I know."

My school has a system where elite athletes, such as the National level club swimmers, AAU basketball players, ect. do not have to participate in a school sport. My sister being one of them, was excused for her week long national swim meet in Florida as her club sport replaced her school sport so to the school they saw it as her participating in her sport which the school defines as an excused absence.

Do I go to the administration and ask to receive the same treatment as my sister did even though I still play a school sport, tell admin and say I was sick even though my Spanish teacher will know something is up, or take the unexcused absence and take the hit? 

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#2 Cookybiscuit

Cookybiscuit

Schadenfreude Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,635 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Tell her to shove it up her arse.

Awarded: " the biggest dumbass on this forum" 2012

#3 TJO

TJO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

talk to the administration, if you tell them "im going to be gone this week for this, see if they would count it excused or unexcused, if its unexcused see if they can help you out at all, your being responsible planning ahead, getting all the work done ahead of time if they can help you with the one teacher,

#4 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

Step one. Respectfully tell her your other teachers were already willing to accommodate you.
Step two. Explain the significance of your absence.
Step three. Show her that all your work is already done.
Step four. If she is still not going to accommodate you. Go right over her head to her boss.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#5 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

go to the dean

#6 TheMajorFB

TheMajorFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Do exactly what bigx said and if you tell your principal they should be able to help you if you have all your work up to date then I see No reason why you can't. Another thing is see if you can do some of you work before and some after and maybe do a little while you are at cup if you have the chance I don't know I have never went to cup.

#7 TheMajorFB

TheMajorFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

Do exactly what bigx said and if you tell your principal they should be able to help you if you have all your work up to date then I see No reason why you can't. Another thing is see if you can do some of you work before and some after and maybe do a little while you are at cup if you have the chance I don't know I have never went to cup.

#8 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Look, I hate to say it, but it is her class. While I fail to see a good reason (aside from, she hasn't made the test yet) for failing you instantly for taking the test early, it is her class.

Now let me get this: You're only missing 1 day? Any work due that day will automatically be a zero, regardless of if you finished it early? She is accusing you of lying to the school when you have done everything openly and honestly? I mean you didn't lie to her or the school from what I read. All you said is I will be gone on X day/s and it will likely be unexcused. You didn't try to pass it off as excused either. Seems unreasonable and unprofessional to treat a student that way.

"Through unexcused absences (vacations, everything else really), hw and tests must be made up before or turned in the day of through some means, but it is up to the discretion of the teacher."

This is confusing to me. I think a little clarification is needed. Discretion of the teacher is one thing, but it seems that she is being unreasonable either because she really doesn't like you, or for some other reason. Find out why she won't let you finish your work early if you can. 

Either way, be careful about bringing the situation to the administration (ESPECIALLY if you're going to pull the ever-childish excuse of "but so and so did it!") because the admin. tends to side with teachers, and you could potentially screw up the situation with your other classes. So one class out of 7 or 8 is holding you back? You have an A average? I think your GPA could take the hit. Ideally, you should find a solution with your spanish teacher.

If that fails, then I recommend turning in the work early TO THE PRINCIPAL. Don't go to the principal complaining about one of his/her employees. Go there with a potential solution, not a new problem. 

​EDIT: You are trying to makeup work for an unexcused absence. It should be irrelevant why you will be absent, but teacher's discretion kind of messes that up. Also... teachers hate angry parents (i'm assuming they've helped you pay for your trip.) and parents get angry when their plans get messed up by an angry teacher. Your parents are going to be far better at pressuring the school than you ever will be (until you have kids there). So that is another option as shitty as it sounds. You've got lots of choices:

1. take the F and go play paint spheres

2. Go over her/his head and complain how unfair the teacher is being to the principal

3. Get your parents to complain to the principal

4. Get a good solid reason as to WHY she won't let you take the test early and go from there (see 1,2,3,5 and 6)

5. Try and get paintball treated like a sport by a public school (que edna laugh)

6. Skip the teacher and discuss(NOT COMPLAIN) the situation with the principal. The question "If you were me, how would you solve this?" should score you a solid solution. 

Either way, school policy does say that it is the teacher's discretion and your options are limited because of that.

Edited by DamianE, 10 October 2013 - 07:38 PM.

naimadamian.png

#9 NBTIppy

NBTIppy

Sterling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

in the words of many great philosophers... "YOLO"

#10 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

I apologize that was worded confusingly; it is up to the teachers description on how to handle work and tests missed in unexcused absences. The world lang. department's way of handling it is a zero. If atendence says it is unexcused, zeros for the grade book for spanish.

Either way, be careful about bringing the situation to the administration (ESPECIALLY if you're going to pull the ever-childish excuse of "but so and so did it!") because the admin. tends to side with teachers, and you could potentially screw up the situation with your other classes. So one class out of 7 or 8 is holding you back? You have an A average? I think your GPA could take the hit. Ideally, you should find a solution with your spanish teacher. Freshman year I have five classes-the only reason I would bring up my sisters situation is to have a reference to this situation.

Thank you for your help. I'm planing to go to the admin/principle and discuss the situation and attempt to hopefully have my absence excused as a club sport or work it out with the teacher through the principal.

Edited by Master_Chief, 10 October 2013 - 09:48 PM.

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#11 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

ohdear.gif

wait... sorry what was your question again?

Or problem... or whatever it was?

#12 TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

TheDyeingEmpirePlanet

DP doesn't always leak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

First after.. Wait what was I.... Huh what?

Edited by TheDyeingEmpirePlanet, 11 October 2013 - 05:54 PM.

Buy one of these if you want a cheap but nice electro!!!
DP E1!!!
TBC_logo.jpg

#13 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

I want to say something funny.....but.....los distractions......

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#14 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

There was a topic that was for here....but for the life of me.... I can't remem.....boobies...

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#15 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

And people accuse me of being immature???

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#16 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

School administration have no legally have no jurisdiction outside of school sponsored/ related activities. If your parents were to say you were sick all week, no one is to question a parent/ guardians reasoning or involvement. Power hungry teachers have no legal authority to intervene in a given situation as stated. If they do choose to intervene on their own accord, bring up your Student Code of Conduct(regarding excused and unexcused absences) and slam it down into their thick skull. Sorry for such language but the level of school involvement into life outside of school is reaching a breaking point here. As long as your conversation wasn't recorded, who will an administrator believe? A teacher playing tattle tale or the legal parent that has a responsibility for your life? Yep, even if the administration gets wind, there's not much they can do about it(and as long as you have your student code of conduct, not very much legally either). Maybe a talk or something.

Super Nintendo, Sega Gensis, when I was dead broke man I couldn't picture this.
-Biggie Smalls
Learned the hard way not to use a speedfeed when its raining. 8/6/11

#17 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

School administration have no legally have no jurisdiction outside of school sponsored/ related activities. If your parents were to say you were sick all week, no one is to question a parent/ guardians reasoning or involvement. Power hungry teachers have no legal authority to intervene in a given situation as stated. If they do choose to intervene on their own accord, bring up your Student Code of Conduct(regarding excused and unexcused absences) and slam it down into their thick skull. Sorry for such language but the level of school involvement into life outside of school is reaching a breaking point here. As long as your conversation wasn't recorded, who will an administrator believe? A teacher playing tattle tale or the legal parent that has a responsibility for your life? Yep, even if the administration gets wind, there's not much they can do about it(and as long as you have your student code of conduct, not very much legally either). Maybe a talk or something.

That is a great point worth bring up. I was sure there was something that was along this line-thank you.

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#18 Glaciered

Glaciered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

be sure to update to let us know how it goes.

Red Paperclip into a house.

[Etek 4 LT Mint Condition CHEAP]http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=220972

#19 Jawz

Jawz

Boss Ass Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,687 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

in the words of many great philosophers... "YOLO"

no. I'm going to be under grading in philosophy, all previous philosophers said things way dumber than yolo. Socrates is the worst of all.

109.gif

#20 Master_Chief

Master_Chief

All or Nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

I had my pops talk to the councilor and as of now I'm in FL and excused from school. I talked to the same councilor and she was no help at all-the conversation lasted about a minute and she said that she cannot change school rules. My literally said don't worry about it I have it covered.

So now time to play paintball and win world cup! 

Why not?

-Derrick Rose

Square 1 Soldiers

#21 TheMajorFB

TheMajorFB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

Great man good luck what team you on I will see if I can see you on the live stream if there is one

#22 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

Glad to hear it worked out. Enjoy World Cup!

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users