8 replies to this topic

#1 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

I've never seen someone with a hobby lathe take a piece of aluminum and bore their own barrel for cheap. So what is stopping them?

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#2 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Finding the right material and time for tooling setup makes it not too cost effective,but people gave done it

My teammate made a run of 5inch non ported Freak barrels for loud hand cannons,fortunately they're short so it fairly easy to setup and the insert meens that you don't have to worry about high polishing the inside

#3 5ozofpain

5ozofpain

FUS RO DAH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

I've never seen someone with a hobby lathe take a piece of aluminum and bore their own barrel for cheap. So what is stopping them?

There is no point

Feedback I LE AXE 

EKK ELITE

#4 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,919 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

You have to hone the inside of the barrel to give it a very smooth surface so there is less friction against the ball when it passes through, and that takes time. It's easier, and possibly even cheaper, if you factor in how much your time is worth, and how long it takes you to test stuff to figure out the process that works the best for you, to just buy one already made.

#5 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, I guess the honing would make it pretty difficult. 

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#6 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,919 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Not only the honing, but all the time and material it would take to get through the trial and error process and figure out what is the best way to set everything up to get an end result that you're happy with.

#7 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

You could do barrel fronts and backs reasonably easily, but a whole one piece barrel is a little too long/big for a mini lathe to handle easily. As for the honing, when I made the barrel for my .50 kit, I used a reamer on the inside, and it turned out quite good for not running a hone through it.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#8 steadian

steadian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

The few grand your going to spend in tooling so machine the profile, bore, ream, and hone the barrel. Then you have to have the right fixturing to be able to hold the barrel as true as possible because if its so much as a few thou out its going to blend paint and making this fixturing requires more tooling again and more of your time to make and it also has to be at an even higher tolerance than your barrel. Then after all of that like mentioned above you have to have a large enough lathe which are pretty expensive all by themselves. Then you have to get into threading and your own time invested and the list goes on... It can be done and it is really cool when people do them but unless you are going to make a few barrels and sell them cheap is not the word to use and with the money you would spend on a quarter of this stuff you could go out and buy a very nice top of the line barrel with no headaches. 

#9 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

The few grand your going to spend in tooling so machine the profile, bore, ream, and hone the barrel. Then you have to have the right fixturing to be able to hold the barrel as true as possible because if its so much as a few thou out its going to blend paint and making this fixturing requires more tooling again and more of your time to make and it also has to be at an even higher tolerance than your barrel. Then after all of that like mentioned above you have to have a large enough lathe which are pretty expensive all by themselves. Then you have to get into threading and your own time invested and the list goes on... It can be done and it is really cool when people do them but unless you are going to make a few barrels and sell them cheap is not the word to use and with the money you would spend on a quarter of this stuff you could go out and buy a very nice top of the line barrel with no headaches. 

Oh dear, well time to go buy a mini lathe ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users