• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Murphstyle

Murphstyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

So I want to try and build my own nerf "rocket" launcher that will run off a regular tank and not 12 grams. I also want it to fire off a standard (partially modified) trigger and not a ball valve.

The trouble im having is the valve i will need to put in spot 3 that i can activate it with the modified trigger to fire the nerf dart

Attached File  launcher1.jpg   18.53KB   0 downloads

In the rough sketch

1)the nerf rocket

2)1'' to 2'' reducing fitting

3) ????

4) 1'' steel piping as an expansion chamber

5) 3-way push button valve

6) regulator

7) Remote line from requlator to tank

8) trigger frame ( have an old frame im thinking of using)

i do realize there are some fittings not included but i have that pretty well figured out in my head.

i will use the requlator to adjust my velocity by increasing/decreasing the pressure in the "expansion chamber"

any ideas and input would be greatly appreciated.

I have searched the threads and nothing i saw would allow me to use an actual trigger instead of a type of ball valve.

pain forces us to make bad decisions... fear of pain is almost as big of a motivator

#2 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

I've used industrial pressure washer handles adapted to fit 2 inch ABS to make a few launchers,they work good and cost is under $50.

The real issue is using them in games,alot of scenarios won't let you use them as they can be very unsafe

I was able to use mine after the scenario producer certified it was safe

#3 Murphstyle

Murphstyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Punisher, i will definitely look into that. Just a few questions about the one you made though. What was the inlet/outlet of the pressure washer handle you used, did you use any type of expansion chamber or just 12 gram CO2 cartridges. And how high were you able to get the FPS up to with consistancy

pain forces us to make bad decisions... fear of pain is almost as big of a motivator

#4 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

The rated pressure was 5000 psi ,it was design for a tow behind industrial street&sidewalk steam cleaning

-I ran it on our armored vehicles off a regulated 800psi paintball tank thru a standard remote hose and used it sidearm style with remote also.Never ran it off CO2 but I'm sure it would work

Range was about 150 ft with a slight arc@150 fps roughly

Make sure to use some air tool oil on the inlet side of the valve so the orings don't dry out

Edited by Punisher068, 23 October 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#5 Murphstyle

Murphstyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

sorry for the mistype, i meant what were the sizes of the inlet and outlet, the largest i can find (under $100) is 3/8 inlet and 1/4 outlet. Im just worried that the outlet will be too small to allow enough air threw fast enough to get anywhere near 150-200 FPS.

#6 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

That's the same as mine for inlet and outlet fittings,there's plenty or pressure

I ended up running it off an older adjustable reg (AGD Flatline) so I could increase the pressure if I wanted,increasing pressure from 800 to 900 psi got alot more distance and FPS,around an extra 50 ft and FPS

Not sure what the standard for FPS on nerfs are,200 fps with a nerf looks pretty scary coming at you though,guessing this would probably be the max you would want one to shoot for safety reasons

#7 Murphstyle

Murphstyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ya I think 150 is about the standard I was just sayin 200 to make sure 150 isn't maxing out. And I do not have a regulator yet but will be getting an adjustable one. Again thanks for the help

#8 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Forget safety dude. Let's just change the design to a typical potato gun launcher.

Simply insert the nerf rocket, spray your hairspray into the back cap, seal it up, aim, and hit the barbeque sparker.

Permission is overrated. Actually, since we are no longer asking permission...let's just use potatoes as ammo as well!

potatogun_zps520ddc15.jpg

Note: picture is not me, but he is holding a potato gun so he is obviously still cool--don't worry

Hope this helped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users