• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

need some help on a good barrel or kit (if someone is selling) for cheap. id prefer a two piece so i could swap backs.

anyone know any good one to buy new?

#2 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

that isn't going to kill my wallet of course, or should i save up for a freak kit??

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

What is wrong with the barrel you currently have?

#4 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

nothing wrong with it, just want to upgrade from my stock proto rail barrel and idk if there is any cheap two pieces out there or anyone selling any for a good price

#5 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

What are you looking to gain from an "upgrade" though?

#6 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

accuracy slightly smaller bore size in partiicular

#7 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Barrels and markers do not affect accuracy unless they are dirty. Just buy better paint.

#8 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

The stock 2011 Rail barrel is not a bad barrel by any means. It is a bit short for some, but as Playdoh stated, this makes no difference in accuracy. A longer barrel can be great for tucking into inflatables, but may get in the way in the woods or on scenario field. But really, this is the only advantage I've noticed in barrel length.

#9 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

CP two piece

#10 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

i always use good paint, but i live in 29 palms CA its DRY, no humidity. The higher end paint i use doesn't bore match to my barrel (i can roll the balls down the barrel) So I need to get a new barrel with a smaller bore size which will help my accuracy. what im asking for is advice on a good aftermarket barrel at a decent price. Or asking if anyone is selling any or kits cheap

#11 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

i always use good paint, but i live in 29 palms CA its DRY, no humidity. The higher end paint i use doesn't bore match to my barrel (i can roll the balls down the barrel) So I need to get a new barrel with a smaller bore size which will help my accuracy. what im asking for is advice on a good aftermarket barrel at a decent price. Or asking if anyone is selling any or kits cheap

You didn't read the responses... a new/different barrel/bore size will NOT improve your accuracy.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 22 October 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#12 Brigo11

Brigo11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

If you want a cheap and affordable barrel, look into the CP 1 piece barrel. You can get a 14 inch .689 barrel for like 30-40 bucks depending on where you live. They're pretty decent barrels for the price, unless you are really wanting to bore your paint down the line, then you may want to save up and get a GOG Barrel Kit. Where I am, for like $110 you can get a GOG Freak Jr. Barrel Kit with 3 inserts and a nice 2 piece barrel. But if you're looking to keep it cheap, the CP 1 piece barrel is great. I have one and think it's amazing for what I paid!

Sounds like he is in Canadoo, the land of maple syrup and the majestic moose...

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Too bad accuracy does not depend on the barrel. The barrel is just so the air does not expand too quickly so it can propel the ball. How in the world can a barrel affect accuracy, if you have shitty paint and really good paint 10 times out of 10 the really good paint will be more accurate. 

#14 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

and how does the ball propel? by going through a barrel that is bore'd to the size of the paint. The paint should not roll out of the barrel. It should need air to shoot the ball through it? Any paint i've used in my stock barrel rolls through, meaning air can go around the ball and its being wasted, not propelling the ball. Since every single paintball is not a perfect sphere. The air will go around the ball differently each time. Which will give inconsistent trajectories. Meaning the ball will not travel the exact same path each time. The only way to tighten the trajectory is to have the best bore to paint match possible. Another factor is how little friction the inside of the barrel has. The better quality of bore, the less friction on the ball as it is being projected through the barrel. Doesnt matter how good the paint is. If you shoot paint that bore's at a siz .684 and your using a barrel back with a .693 bore. Your trajectory patterns will be drastically inconsistent (less accurate)

#15 spoolienerd

spoolienerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

http://www.ansgear.c...arrelkit7a5.htm

You'll need to buy an adapter, but you get a 7 piece kit for only $40.

#16 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

that is a tippman A5 threaded barrel. I have all autococker threaded markers; PMR07, DP F7, and a Mini

ive benn looking for a techt kit for autococker but cant find one

#17 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

and how does the ball propel?

By having the air from your tank be released in controlled bursts to propel the ball.

by going through a barrel that is bore'd to the size of the paint.

You are right in some way but also wrong. If this is 100% true then overbore balls will not shoot right which is false.

The paint should not roll out of the barrel. It should need air to shoot the ball through it? 

But you have a detent in your marker to hold your ball in place to prevent a roll out.

Any paint i've used in my stock barrel rolls through, meaning air can go around the ball and its being wasted, not propelling the ball. 

It is true air can go around but barrel length does not matter past around 6 inches, overbore or underbore if your marker has a consistent reg and you take an overbored, underbored, paint to barrel match, and an overbored 7 inch barrel they will all shoot around the same fps and accuracy assuming they all are in flawless condition.

Since every single paintball is not a perfect sphere. 

Correct, we will come back to this later

The air will go around the ball differently each time. Which will give inconsistent trajectories. 

Then how come my overbored barrel shoots ropes? The air will go around the ball differently each time but it will not vastly change the flight path.

Meaning the ball will not travel the exact same path each time. 

Not really. The reason why the ball will not travel the exact path each time is like what you stated up there in the blue bold underlined sentence.

The only way to tighten the trajectory is to have the best bore to paint match possible. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even when they are wrong, which in this case is you.

Another factor is how little friction the inside of the barrel has. 

To an extent but even a cheapy 98c barrel which looks like utter shit inside can still shoot straight. 

The better quality of bore, the less friction on the ball as it is being projected through the barrel.

If this is the case then overbore where there is LITTLE TO NO friction as per your idea as to what it does is the optimal barrel.

Doesn't matter how good the paint is.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion even when they are completely fucking wrong.

If you shoot paint that bore's at a size .684 and your using a barrel back with a .693 bore. Your trajectory patterns will be drastically inconsistent (less accurate)

But not really.

If this is the case then the paintball industry is fucking us over selling us inaccurate barrels.

#18 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

and how does the ball propel? by going through a barrel that is bore'd to the size of the paint. The paint should not roll out of the barrel. It should need air to shoot the ball through it? Any paint i've used in my stock barrel rolls through, meaning air can go around the ball and its being wasted, not propelling the ball. Since every single paintball is not a perfect sphere. The air will go around the ball differently each time. Which will give inconsistent trajectories. Meaning the ball will not travel the exact same path each time. The only way to tighten the trajectory is to have the best bore to paint match possible. Another factor is how little friction the inside of the barrel has. The better quality of bore, the less friction on the ball as it is being projected through the barrel. Doesnt matter how good the paint is. If you shoot paint that bore's at a siz .684 and your using a barrel back with a .693 bore. Your trajectory patterns will be drastically inconsistent (less accurate)

So you have skme scientific studies or experiments to back this up?

Look at the punkworks forum here on TechPB.

#19 spoolienerd

spoolienerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

that is a tippman A5 threaded barrel. I have all autococker threaded markers; PMR07, DP F7, and a Mini

ive benn looking for a techt kit for autococker but cant find one

That's why I said you need an adapter.

#20 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

It's simple. Take one marker tied down and weighed to a gun stand with multiple paints and shoot a blank wall with a drastic overbore. A .693 freak insert and shot a paint that bore'd at a .684 then use a .684 freak insert and shot both paints again and compare the patterns from about 40 yards out the insert that matched the bore'd paint was about the 3rd the size of the circumference as the impacts from the overbore'd insert. And no need for the language. People get on here to talk paintball not argue. I was simply asking for advice on a cheaper kit compared to the freak kit.
Spoolienerd I had no idea they even made adapters like that I found them on ans. Thanks a lot I'm probably going to get this thanks for the help

#21 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

It's simple. Take one marker tied down and weighed to a gun stand with multiple paints and shoot a blank wall with a drastic overbore. A .693 freak insert and shot a paint that bore'd at a .684 then use a .684 freak insert and shot both paints again and compare the patterns from about 40 yards out the insert that matched the bore'd paint was about the 3rd the size of the circumference as the impacts from the overbore'd insert. And no need for the language. People get on here to talk paintball not argue. I was simply asking for advice on a cheaper kit compared to the freak kit.
Spoolienerd I had no idea they even made adapters like that I found them on ans. Thanks a lot I'm probably going to get this thanks for the help

That is exactly what punkworks did - scientifically as well - and there was no statistically significant dofference at all.

#22 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

50 ft is about 13 yards

i said 40 yards. thats more than twice as long as the distance they used. They didnt have a far enough travel for a good reading on the trajectory patterns

#23 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

"paint to barrel match underbore of about .03 among the lowest spins," definately a range that you should underbore"

their words not mine

#24 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

50 ft is about 13 yards
i said 40 yards. thats more than twice as long as the distance they used. They didnt have a far enough travel for a good reading on the trajectory patterns

The dispersion is proportional to the target distance.

#25 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

You all might say that paint to bore means nothing, but in my experience a very overbored barrel is a lot less accurate than a smaller one. I think seeing paint to bore match making a difference first hand kinda trumps all your fancy arguing here...

Oh and playdoh, I looked at your gearbag sale and I noticed that you are selling two barrels. In the description for one barrel you said that the bore is perfect for today's smaller paint.....but wait, I thought you said that didn't matter? You also said that the other barrel is "perfect for when I'm not being picky about bore size", but I thought that didn't matter?

Edited by Scum, 22 October 2013 - 10:37 PM.

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#26 beaty0827

beaty0827

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thats all i was trying to say, i experienced the same. Slight underbore is the best thing unless you use shitty paint then have an equal bore or slight over bore to account for the many inconsistencies in the balls. Me and my friend experimented with it and found out thats the best thing for us to do. Ever since we always under bore by a 2 thousandth of a size. And i was in advice on the best kit for the price. I'm either getting the ifit or the freak and i can't decide. I need outside persuasion. 

#27 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

You know what if you are so insisted on buying a kit buy a full Stella barrel kit from inception designs.

Why?
Because you want a barrel kit, and I want you to pump as much money as you can to a company to make more quality items.

So go buy a full Stella barrel kit when Simon releases it. Don't even second think it just do it.
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#28 spoolienerd

spoolienerd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hope you enjoy it.

#29 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

Why can't people just answer the OPs question. I for one have preferred barrels and hate others.

#30 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Why can't people just answer the OPs question. I for one have preferred barrels and hate others.

Yea I've kinda gave up on these barrel questions and decided to plug for inception designs. If op has money to spend why not ask op pump money into the industry?
gnUDL.png

#31 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

You all might say that paint to bore means nothing, but in my experience a very overbored barrel is a lot less accurate than a smaller one. I think seeing paint to bore match making a difference first hand kinda trumps all your fancy arguing here...

Oh and playdoh, I looked at your gearbag sale and I noticed that you are selling two barrels. In the description for one barrel you said that the bore is perfect for today's smaller paint.....but wait, I thought you said that didn't matter? You also said that the other barrel is "perfect for when I'm not being picky about bore size", but I thought that didn't matter?

Human perceptions are extremely fallible and open to suggestion.

Underbored barrels improve efficiency slightly, improve consistency over bore matching and prevent rollouts on closed bolt markers. Thats ALL.

#32 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Get any barrel, freak barrels are the ones that are generally out there on the field. 

#33 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

jurzy and Playdoh are 100% right, you, the only time i really see the need for a barrel kit is if you are playing pump and your marker doesn't have detents to prevent roll outs. 

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#34 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

jurzy and Playdoh are 100% right, you, the only time i really see the need for a barrel kit is if you are playing pump and your marker doesn't have detents to prevent roll outs. 

So you would justify paying $150 for a barrel system where the only reason is to prevent roll outs? WHAT? How can you go out to spend money on that when all you think it does is prevent roll outs...

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#35 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

So you would justify paying $150 for a barrel system where the only reason is to prevent roll outs? WHAT? How can you go out to spend money on that when all you think it does is prevent roll outs...

Shouldn't we all spend $150 for tight things to run our balls through?

gnUDL.png

#36 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Shouldn't we all spend $150 for tight things to run our balls through?

/thread

#37 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

He never said the price is justified.

#38 DasJaco

DasJaco

TIGER STYLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

CP Two Piece will treat you pretty nice.

Lakeville Ambush #3

DLX Luxe 2.0

Dye Rotor

Ninja 77/4500

#39 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

He said that it was a need, and he didn't complain about the price at all. It was if he was totally fine with buying a $150 ball detent...

#40 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

He said that it was a need, and he didn't complain about the price at all. It was if he was totally fine with buying a $150 ball detent...
Where in the fuck are you getting this "$150" price from? I bought a FULL Freak kit brand new for $70...

And I'm not sure if you've used a closed bolt marker before but if you have you should know rollouts are a serious issue.

Edited by BurningPlaydoh, 26 October 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#41 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Where in the fuck are you getting this "$150" price from? I bought a FULL Freak kit brand new for $70...

And I'm not sure if you've used a closed bolt marker before but if you have you should know rollouts are a serious issue.

Roll outs really are a serious issue, and you don't need a full barrel kit either, you could easily get away with 3 inserts spread out between .677 and .684

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#42 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

I'm just quoting the Total Freak kit price on gogpaintball.com, which is $149.95 with a standard freak front and aluminum inserts. Rollouts might be a serious issue, but I don't see how you people would be guilt-free in spending 150 (or even 70...) to prevent them.

#43 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Deep pockets is what I call it
gnUDL.png

#44 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

I'm just quoting the Total Freak kit price on gogpaintball.com, which is $149.95 with a standard freak front and aluminum inserts. Rollouts might be a serious issue, but I don't see how you people would be guilt-free in spending 150 (or even 70...) to prevent them.

roll out's might be a serious issue? just picture paintballs rolling out of your barrel everytime it is pointing slightly down. it is a serious issue, and you're talking about paintball it's expensive. $70 for a freak kit that saves your ass often when it comes to things like roll outs, i've seen fields charging double that cost for a case of paint, $70 isn't that big of a deal... i would give up a weekend of play and save that $70 to buy a freak kit if i didn't have a barrel kit for roll outs.

58pk.jpg

#45 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Again, take in note this is only if your gun doesn't have detents, which most guns do.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#46 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Again, take in note this is only if your gun doesn't have detents, which most guns do.

No, its not. Its for closed bolt markers. They still have detents but those don't do much good when a ball is chambered past them by the bolt.

#47 fumbimo

fumbimo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

No, its not. Its for closed bolt markers. They still have detents but those don't do much good when a ball is chambered past them by the bolt.

exactly, and if you need it for your closed bolt markers why not use it on everything else as well to maximize efficiency. it's well worth spending the money on.

58pk.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users