Is the freak kit worth the money?

#2 PatsPotatoVan

PatsPotatoVan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Freak or Super Freak?
I'm just gonna guess you mean the Smart Parts Freak Kit. If you want an affordable, aluminum barrel kit with inserts than yeah the Freak Kit is the way to go. But if you think you would rather like a lighter carbon fiber barrel kit with inserts than I would go with the Deadly Wind barrel kit which is essentially the exact same except it's a one piece carbon fiber barrel that accepts Freak inserts.

Player
Photographer

Referee

#3 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

Freak or Super Freak?
I'm just gonna guess you mean the Smart Parts Freak Kit. If you want an affordable, aluminum barrel kit with inserts than yeah the Freak Kit is the way to go. But if you think you would rather like a lighter carbon fiber barrel kit with inserts than I would go with the Deadly Wind barrel kit which is essentially the exact same except it's a one piece carbon fiber barrel that accepts Freak inserts.

Yeah that's what I meant... Would that be better than the all aluminum freak kit?

#4 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

I love the DW barrel but I splurged and bought the stainless steel freak kit (not necessary). People say the aluminum warps with the heat and the honing is better on the SS but does it REALLY make that big of a difference? No. However, the standard freak barrel and a few inserts is a great purchase, and I highly recommend it. It's a cheap alternative to a full barrel kit, especially if you just buy a few inserts instead of the entire kit. 

Edited by LegionPB, 28 October 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#5 ahrpb

ahrpb

stay low

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

I have the full super freak kit and i would say it isn't worth it.  Just buy a barrel and a couple inserts like Legionpb said.

Profit/I4
Bob Long V1/Vcom - NT10
Rotor
Ninja 68/45

#6 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

I've used the Freak system since 2002 and would recommend it if you decide you want to buy a kit. I have the aluminum inserts and I've only ever bent one of them. The aluminum ones are just fine.

Talking cost effectively, your gun probably came with an overbored barrel of .689-.693.  You can just buy some 1 piece barrels of say .678/9 and .684/5 for a total cost of around $60-80. This will honestly give you anything you could need.

#7 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

I've used the Freak system since 2002 and would recommend it if you decide you want to buy a kit. I have the aluminum inserts and I've only ever bent one of them. The aluminum ones are just fine.

Talking cost effectively, your gun probably came with an overbored barrel of .689-.693.  You can just buy some 1 piece barrels of say .678/9 and .684/5 for a total cost of around $60-80. This will honestly give you anything you could need.

That's what I was thinking... Like maybe buy 4 cp one pieces

#8 gibbeepbroxzor

gibbeepbroxzor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

except all of the available bores for the CP one piece barrels are overbores... IMO, you need something like a .678, a .682, and a .685. Set for life. Like a Deadlywind with those inserts, or a CP barrel with those backs.

#9 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

You don't need 4 1-pieces. CP makes a .685 1 piece and Lurker makes a .678 for example.

If you spend more money than 2 barrels, you may as well get the full freak.

#10 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

You don't need 4 1-pieces. CP makes a .685 1 piece and Lurker makes a .678 for example.

If you spend more money than 2 barrels, you may as well get the full freak.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking

#11 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

I use the 2k5 kit.  I like it.  It's a heavier barrel.  Here's some things I noted:

1.  Stainless is better.  It's heavier than aluminum, however it doesn't bend and shoots through a break much better.  Bending usually happens when dropping or poor storing in a kit bag.  In some backings the inserts only slide through the tip (A5 for one if I remember right) and at times it's difficult to pull it out. 

2.  I found the freak tip cleans out much better from breaks than the spiralled AA tip.

3.  12" or 14"  is all you need.  I traded my 12" AA tip for a 14" freak tip.  I would have prefered a 12" but the freak tip clean out made more of a difference to me.

#12 TacticlTwinkie

TacticlTwinkie

*insert witty title*

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

I think they are worth it, but the whole kit isnt. The barrel (either the smart parts freak, empire super freak, or deadlywinds fibur, take your pick) plus 3 inserts is all you need. I only ever use my .679, .682, and .687. Its pretty uncommon for me to use any of the other inserts.

#13 conorq12

conorq12

Are those my balls on your face?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

if you want to keep the barrel that you are using now, get the techt ifit barrel kit.

lg_ICU%20Paintball%20logo.jpg
ICU Paintball
DMPP
Des Moines, Iowa
DSM Detox

#14 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

if you want to keep the barrel that you are using now, get the techt ifit barrel kit.

I actually do not recommend this. The control bores are simply too short to do anything, I feel they are only good for pump guns to prevent rollouts.

#15 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

...get the techt ifit barrel kit.

...i have been considering buying the techt barrel insert kit....

I don't know why you would recommend a barrel kit (much less one that sucks) that you don't even own and are asking advice about yourself. TechT makes some decent stuff, but not this.

#16 pb28188

pb28188

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

I use the 2k5 kit.  I like it.  It's a heavier barrel.  Here's some things I noted:

1.  Stainless is better.  It's heavier than aluminum, however it doesn't bend and shoots through a break much better.  Bending usually happens when dropping or poor storing in a kit bag.  In some backings the inserts only slide through the tip (A5 for one if I remember right) and at times it's difficult to pull it out. 

2.  I found the freak tip cleans out much better from breaks than the spiralled AA tip.

3.  12" or 14"  is all you need.  I traded my 12" AA tip for a 14" freak tip.  I would have prefered a 12" but the freak tip clean out made more of a difference to me.

I was gonna get the 14" all American and the stainless steel kit does like nice thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users