• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 miguel121

miguel121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

I've doing LOTS of reading across the internet in forums and manufacturer websites trying to find the right setup for me. I plan to primarily play woodsball but the field I go to does have a speedball course that I'm interested in trying out from time to time. I believe I have a list that will work for me but I just want to be sure that what I am buying is worth putting all this money into.

This is what I have in mind buying:

$65 JT Proflex mask from local pro shop

$180 Azodin Blitz from the local pro shop

~$50 48/3000 HPA Tank from local pro shop

$85 Pinokio Loader off of ANSGear sale they've got going on

I would very much like to support the local shop which is also a part of the reason for the gear I've selected. And please, I know I'm not going the carbon-fiber route, but I can't justify (at the moment) spending an additional $100 dollars on a tank that will do the exact same thing as a steelie. I don't intend on shooting pod after pod in a single match. If anything, I usually tend to shoot <150-200 rounds per game.

Is this setup good for a beginner or should I downgrade a few things like perhaps get a Proto Primo or cheaper electronic hopper instead of the Pinokio or a even different marker? I would also like to stay below my $400 threshold for my gear. I can afford more but I would rather not go above the limit I've set for myself.

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

For a budget under the threshold of $500 to $1,000, I'd recommend buying the best mask that you like at the shop regardless of cost and continue to rent your marker equipment.  Don't bother with the Blitz, Proto Rail, or GOG eXTCy.  If you're not at least looking at the Proton, Crossover, or Mini - and arguable even a step above those, you're wasting money to give yourself a substandard playing experience.  Six months to a year later you'll want to sell everything back at a huge loss to get a marker in the midrange anyway and the cost to buy what you want will nearly be the same as where you started.  Just rent instead.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#3 07tjt07

07tjt07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

I think your plan is fine. Although the blitz is not the marker I would recommend is sounds like the perfect setup for under 400. If it was me though, i would search ebay for a g4 or extcy/envy/enmy. Do Not cheap out on a hopper. If you get a slower hopper to get a better something else then you are doing it wrong. If you get the primo, you will be out shooting it on the first day. Get either the pinokio or vmax. Stay away from halo's at all costs. One more thing. Renting is a waste of money. Lets say you save $15 a month, and you play once a month. If you are wasting $10 a month than it will take three times longer to get what you want. Just my opinion. Also, the mini has crap ergos, and few attractive features, other than that it looks like an axe. Crossovers are heavy and overpriced. The mech feature is not necessary. As long as you change your batteries every 20 or 30 cases you should never have to use the mech feature, so why bother.

cpILP7C.jpg

Setup: Dangerous Power G4 Black with Blue accents, 45/4500 crossfire, Halo with exalt speed feed, python compression kit (predecessor to the techt ifit)

#4 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Get a blue/red got envy from ansgear

and empire or gi sports68/45

proflex's

get a halo too

#5 07tjt07

07tjt07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

proflex's

get a halo too

The halo is my biggest mistake. Mine jams every time I play. Also, its heavy as shit. I would say go straight to the Pinokio.

cpILP7C.jpg

Setup: Dangerous Power G4 Black with Blue accents, 45/4500 crossfire, Halo with exalt speed feed, python compression kit (predecessor to the techt ifit)

#6 miguel121

miguel121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm a little tossed. I just plan on being a casual player which is why I'm avoiding sinking $500-1000 into my gear. With where my budget is at, should i really just stick with rentals?

And i saw the blue/red envy's. It gets a bit tough when people start having wars over gun comparisons so it makes it challenging to figure out what is actually good. Would you put the envy over the blitz? I did consider it but i couldn't quite get consistent information.

#7 miguel121

miguel121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

proflex's

get a halo too

The halo is my biggest mistake. Mine jams every time I play. Also, its heavy as shit. I would say go straight to the Pinokio.

Yeah, I think I'm pretty set with Pinokio as my choice if I'm going with an electric gun. And saving that $65 dollars on that sale makes it pretty actrative too :)

#8 Irish777

Irish777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm a little tossed. I just plan on being a casual player which is why I'm avoiding sinking $500-1000 into my gear. With where my budget is at, should i really just stick with rentals?

And i saw the blue/red envy's. It gets a bit tough when people start having wars over gun comparisons so it makes it challenging to figure out what is actually good. Would you put the envy over the blitz? I did consider it but i couldn't quite get consistent information.

yes i would put the envy way above the blitz 

#9 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Would you put the envy over the blitz?

Yes. I would try to take advantage at them being offered for $150 at ANS.

#10 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Would you put the envy over the blitz? I did consider it but i couldn't quite get consistent information.

Yes, without hesitation I would. The Blitz is a slightly upgraded Spyder clone. Even though it may be better than a Spyder (marginally), it's still a stacked tube blow back marker. They're heavy, loud and kicky. I started out with a Spyder RS and had no problems with it, defended the thing to the end. Still defend Spyders as great starter markers, but there are better for the price. And right now, you can't get better than the eNVy at the price (at least brand new, used is a different matter).

#11 Brigo11

Brigo11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

I would generally advise against the Azodin Blitz. I have the marker and it broke down on me several times. My issues with it are that the buttons on the back of the grip occasionally work (hard to explain) and I had some bolt problems which were eventually fixed. the gun is VERY loud and kicky; when I first shot it, it almost sounded like a real gun (sorta). Try to look for an eNVy, from what I hear, it's a solid gun. Only thing is there are some upgrades that should put on the gun but they are all optional.

Sounds like he is in Canadoo, the land of maple syrup and the majestic moose...

#12 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I have owned both the blitz, and the old envy (smart parts vibe). Heres the rundown, the blitz is a piece of junk. It is rough on paint, LOUD as crap and extremely kicky. If you are playing woodsball sound matters. The envy (vibe) was super quiet, fun, less problematic, and I used it for both speedball and woodsball. The only con is its efficiency, which at least for me seemed to be not the best. The only reason I have stopped using it was because I made the huge step up to a dm 10. Also, you cannot use a blitz with an invert too. It puts too much pressure on the ball stack and causes chops. In the end, I didnt know why I bought a blitz, I shouldve just immediately went to a gun with far less issues. save 25 bucks and buy a pack and pods or something. envy>blitz

#13 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Also, you cannot use a blitz with an invert too. It puts too much pressure on the ball stack and causes chops

Turn down the settings on the loader. The Azodin detents are fine. Otherwise I agree with you.

#14 miguel121

miguel121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to go for the eNVy on ANS. I think i read somewhere some tank regulators don't fit it well. Which would be a good fit (steelie tank because of budget)? And also if the invert too causes chops, will the pinokio do that? That's the one i was planning on going for.

#15 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'm going to go for the eNVy on ANS. I think i read somewhere some tank regulators don't fit it well. Which would be a good fit (steelie tank because of budget)? And also if the invert too causes chops, will the pinokio do that? That's the one i was planning on going for.

The pinokio wont, I used a kingman fasta on mine for a while (same design) and it worked ok but i still had some breaks because its rough on paint. The envy asa is a little wonky, sometimes tanks are a little akward to screw in, but thats far less a con then getting an azodin. Trust me, go with the envy. Cheaper, better, and great for beginners. Also, if you get the envy, get some lube like sleek or a dow 33 lube. You'll have to lube it because its a spoolie but the shot quality is far superior to the blitz

#16 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

I have a GoG eNMEy and I love it. I also have a proto primo and a guardian 48/3000.

I love the GoG eNMEy, it shoots really nice, it's light, quiet, simple to clean/maintain, and the trigger pull is really light for a mechanical gun. The primo is a good buy, it looks great and it does prevent the "shake and shoot" situation a lot better than a standard banana hopper. The only problem with the tank is that it is a bit heavy, but other than that it is good quality.

eNMEy: $130

Primo: $20

Guardian 48/3000: $75

Total: $225

My setup is great for a beginner and even an intermediate player, I would definitely recommend this to others (Although I would recommend getting a Ninja 48/3000 if you can, they're lighter, but my pro shop didn't have any ninja tanks so I had to go with a guardian.)

But here is where I messed up, I went with a JT Radar mask. 

Worse.

Decision.

Of. 

My.

Life.

They are uncomfortable, they fog (I thought my antifog stuff would work for it, but it didn't), and the lense is almost impossible to change. I believe that the proflex has the same lense system, so that lense would be a pain to change as well. I recommend using my setup and paying an extra $60-$120 for a nice mask like the Grill or the i4. You can get some nice deals for some of those masks when you look for used ones.

Edited by Scum, 03 November 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#17 Gameboy

Gameboy

Soccer+paintball=my life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

If it were me, I would buy a used proto rail, g4 or extcy, for 100-150, an new mask 90-100, ( the one you like best) a used rotor or prophecy, 80-100, and a used ninja tank 100. Then with the 50 left buy some used pants that are in good condition, or spend 50 extra and buy new. After w while buy a harness with pods (20-40) and elbow pads (50-80)
Ps: I know that with harness, pods and elbow pads it's over your budget but that later
If you are under 18 and pay for your gear put this in your sig

#18 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

the invert too doesnt not cause chops on the blitz, people dont know what they're talking about.

Lulzjustacat.png

#19 Shonz-On

Shonz-On

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:11 AM

I got a..
eNMEy 130$ [eBay WickedSports]

Ninja 48/3000 50$ [eBay WickedSports]

vForce Profiler (used, GREAT condition) 28.50 (Call it 30$) [Ebay, random user]

Spyder Fasta 18v LED (used, GREAT condition) 35$ [Local]

----245$ so far.

Also got gr33se 10$, Ninja Magna Nipple cover, 12$, Ninja Thread protector, 5$, Scuba fill station 19$ (I have scuba tanks already).. 46$

---299$

Im happy with it so far, I don't think I am involved enough yet to make big jumps in gear. I am slowly getting soft goods and later will upgrade the hopper, get a 4.5k air tank, then a mid-range marker, since I am happy with the mask, maybe will buy a spare lens for it in between upgrades depending on abuse. With the little I do get to play with very few people, and pop-shots with some reballs in the garage, that might be a while out.

Advice I've been given: Take time to research, if you can try something before you buy, do so.

#20 Gilbet-0

Gilbet-0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Just buy used stuff. Re sale on paintball stuff is just crap. you can prob find used minis/axes/old bob long guns for like 100-250. Also you can get a used rotor for like $80 and then get a 42/3000 and then take all the money u got left sand spend it on a nice new mask

#21 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

Just buy used stuff. Re sale on paintball stuff is just crap. you can prob find used minis/axes/old bob long guns for like 100-250. Also you can get a used rotor for like $80 and then get a 42/3000 and then take all the money u got left sand spend it on a nice new mask

yea might want to change that to 250 minimum. no way you can find any of those for close to 100

Lulzjustacat.png

#22 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

Also, you cannot use a blitz with an invert too. It puts too much pressure on the ball stack and causes chops

Turn down the settings on the loader. The Azodin detents are fine. Otherwise I agree with you.

Idk just from my experiences with them they were just so tempermental, they break paint and they eat batteries like nobodies bussiness

#23 MCP

MCP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Dood everything sounds cool. I would get a better gun. But that is my opion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users