• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gstein42

gstein42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have a Spyder Pilot ACS (few years old, had it for about a year). Went to play yesterday, and it kept turning off. Changed battery (Using disposable 9Vs) and it will power on, but if i push/touch in the wrong spot around the handle, the whole thing turns off. Any ideas on what is going wrong, and how to repair it?

#2 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,898 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Are there any broken wires inside?

#3 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Check your wires. Your grip moves the battery.  Is the battery a quality name brand? They take a lot of juice and cheap batteries, although 9v, don't have enough amps.

#4 gstein42

gstein42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Are there any broken wires inside?

Check your wires. Your grip moves the battery.  Is the battery a quality name brand? They take a lot of juice and cheap batteries, although 9v, don't have enough amps.

Using Duracell batteries. No obviously broken wires or shorts I can see. All capacitors look good. If i press on the LED panel, that seems to be what shuts off the board.

#5 Danny D

Danny D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

There may be an intermittent connection somewhere.  Unfortunately you need to know your stuff to repair it. A simple loose connection can be repaired by some soldering. Its an easy fix though if you know someone who can do it. 

The first thing I would try though is to get 9.6 volt rechargables. When I had an acs, the marker would turn off randomly with duracells. When I switched over to 9.6 volt, it worked fine. I had another issue with a part on the board failing.  All the lights would flash at me. There was a capacitor that failed that needed to be replaced. 

#6 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

You really need to use the rechargeable batteries (ie the Spyder ones or whatever else you can find that works). I had various issues using standard 9 volts instead on my Pilot ACS.

#7 gstein42

gstein42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

You really need to use the rechargeable batteries (ie the Spyder ones or whatever else you can find that works). I had various issues using standard 9 volts instead on my Pilot ACS.

mind sharing what kind of issues you were having?

The problem I am having (board shutting off based on pressure applied to various places) is generally not the type of thing that is caused by low voltages, which is really the only difference between a 9v and 9.6v.

#8 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

My board would shut off periodically. It would switch fire modes for reasons unknown to me.

As well, the more typical voltage issue of the noid not fully tripping my sear to fire.

"The problem I am having (board shutting off based on pressure applied to various places) is generally not the type of thing that is caused by low voltages"

-Well, no. Not typically. Mine did the same thing though. I agree with an earlier poster that you probably have an intermittent connection issue. I threw the stock gripframe away. Not exactly the solution I suspect you'd like though.

#9 Omarfernando

Omarfernando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

You need to use the spyder rechargable 9.6v because regular 9v are not powerful enough because there short .6 volts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users