25 replies to this topic

#1 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

This week is my last week of football. Currently I am on the 8-0 freshman team for my high school. What I could tell you for a fact is that I'm deeply saddened. I know JV and the Varsity is on the way and I'm excited. Not being the new guys anymore, playing 6:00 games on Friday night instead of 9:00 games on Saturday morning. I know this is all coming, but I will no longer be able I really enjoy football.
I know that JV and Varsity will not allow for what I do now. I am able to joke around with my friends, have a good time, and release all my anger out. When it comes to JV, I will not be able to do any of this due to the tougher coaches, longer hours, more brutal workouts, and bigger opponents. I am ready to embrace this jump, but I know that football will never be as fun as it was.
This Friday is our last game as a Freshman team and next year everything will be different. Not that Freshman football is in any way easy, but it is no match compared to the higher level of high school sports. I know I will definately miss the fun times me and my friends have had playing after school, in the morning, rain or shine, frostbite or heat stroke. Whatever the case may be, I will always miss it.

If you have ever felt like this, let me know your story and how you over came it
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#2 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

Protip: don't play high school sports. Play rec. Its much more fun and you don't have to put up with drama.

-Sincerely a Junior that is better than half of the varsity team but still gets put on JV.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#3 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Consider yourself lucky that you were not instantly cast in with the varisty team as a freshman. It was all I ever knew in highschool. 

14 Years old and a Giant, went to varsity camp and never looked back. Varsity ball is a lot more rewarding than anything at the lower levels. Wins that much more meaningful, your not just a sideshow. 

Just have fun with it. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#4 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Consider yourself lucky that you were not instantly cast in with the varisty team as a freshman. It was all I ever knew in highschool. 

14 Years old and a Giant, went to varsity camp and never looked back. Varsity ball is a lot more rewarding than anything at the lower levels. Wins that much more meaningful, your not just a sideshow. 

Just have fun with it. 

I'm a big guy too. I'm 6'1" 200lbs. (Not fat) and I would consider myself fairly strong. In my school though our varsity skill guys lift more than me as a lineman and the linemen, forget about it. Like 4 or 5 do 115 lb dumbbell bicep curls each arm.

I kind of wish I was in your case as you said because I wouldn't know any better. Sometimes not knowing is better
My Setup- OLED G6R, Virtue Spire 260, Ninja Pro V2 68/45, Empire Events, 2013 NXE Elevation

#5 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

Just have fun with it. 

I'm a big guy too. I'm 6'1" 200lbs. (Not fat) and I would consider myself fairly strong. In my school though our varsity skill guys lift more than me as a lineman and the linemen, forget about it. Like 4 or 5 do 115 lb dumbbell bicep curls each arm.

I kind of wish I was in your case as you said because I wouldn't know any better. Sometimes not knowing is better

If anyone on the forum has seen me IRL they would know why.

All you need to do is lift and take care of your body. Put good things in do the right lifts with good form and you will get bigger and stronger. Technique helps a lot as a lineman too. Especially defense, pad level is your friend just learn how to read blocks and fill gaps. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

#6 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

-Sincerely a Junior that is better than half of the varsity team but still gets put on JV.

Is it just impossible for you to comment without bragging about yourself in some way?

#7 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Is it just impossible for you to comment without bragging about yourself in some way?

#8 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Just have fun with it. 

All you need to do is lift and take care of your body. Put good things in do the right lifts with good form and you will get bigger and stronger. Technique helps a lot as a lineman too. Especially defense, pad level is your friend just learn how to read blocks and fill gaps. 
Do you have any good lifts I could do to get bigger biceps, triceps, forearms, shoulders, and chest. I know how to work these parts out but I want to know if you or anyone else has some really beneficial lifts that will get my strength up quickly.

Also, do you have any tips on things I could do to better myself as a player? I play offensive guard and defensive tackle/nose/backer. I am a big guy but I'm slow. Any tips for blocking or guarding a bigger man or pulling or anything for that matter would help. It seems that you have much more experience then I do

#9 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Just have fun with it. 

Do you have any good lifts I could do to get bigger biceps, triceps, forearms, shoulders, and chest. I know how to work these parts out but I want to know if you or anyone else has some really beneficial lifts that will get my strength up quickly.

Also, do you have any tips on things I could do to better myself as a player? I play offensive guard and defensive tackle/nose/backer. I am a big guy but I'm slow. Any tips for blocking or guarding a bigger man or pulling or anything for that matter would help. It seems that you have much more experience then I do
Whoops, didn't mean to double post

#10 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

As for lifts your best bet is to talk with your schools trainer and have him help you build a program that best fits your goals. 

As a defensive lineman it all comes down to technique and reading blocks. This all comes in time, watch an offensive lineman's body language. If he is on his toes and has most of his weight leaning forward he is most likely to run block, if he is on his heels he is more likely to post up and pass block. 

Their are a few techniques to beating blocks and double teams. Given your speed I would use that to your advantage, learn how to shed blocks. Im sure you know about swim moves, clubs, rips, push pulls. Use someones momentum against them. I was typically cut blocked learning how to protect yourself from those as well is beneficial. 

Shoot gaps quickly and learn how to play laterally, by laterally I mean dont go flying to the QB because %90 of the time if you get penetration on a run by the time you get there the ball will be behind you. Get behind the los and play laterally to it. Its simple as that. 

Then again none of this means squat if you are not in a situation where it would be beneficial to you. Nothing I say now could help you as much as your coaching staff and learning from experience. 

Edited by bigx, 06 November 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#11 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Wow. For some reason I never thought of looking at the place of pressure on the lineman's foot. Do you have any tips for moving/blocking a bigger man?

#12 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

Wow. For some reason I never thought of looking at the place of pressure on the lineman's foot. Do you have any tips for moving/blocking a bigger man?

be faster and try to get stronger. pad level is a big help too leverage goes a long way.

#13 XGC_Cheevo

XGC_Cheevo

Pod Scalping You

• BST Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Co-ed and powderpuff shens games are more fun than varsity in my opinion.  Played varsity 9th thru 12th and while fun, most of the time its not an relaxing way to spend a night, just getting bitched at by coaches.

#14 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

be faster and try to get stronger. pad level is a big help too leverage goes a long way.
How do you get faster? I'm working on getting stronger and I always stay low and drive my hips. I feel like getting faster woul be very beneficial, especially for pulling

#15 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

By fast he means becoming more explosive off the snap. That comes with strength increase mixed with high intensity cardio. Having, or rather increasing your sense of balance goes a long way as well. I'd consider picking up something like martial arts. It fine tunes and increases your ability to know how you are going to land and what you should do next with your center of gravity before you get to that point.

Edited by AoSpades, 07 November 2013 - 07:16 PM.

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#16 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

By fast he means becoming more explosive off the snap. That comes with strength increase mixed with high intensity cardio. Having, or rather increasing your sense of balance goes a long way as well. I'd consider picking up something like martial arts. It fine tunes and increases your ability to know how you are going to land and what you should do next with your center of gravity before you get to that point.

WINNER WINNER Chicken Dinner. 

I was brutal off the snap as a D Tackle. Im big and I was FAST (over short distances lol) 

#17 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

I was brutal off the snap as a D Tackle. Im big and I was FAST (over short distances lol)

I'm 5'5". Was a fiend at safety because I knew where the carrier's center of gravity was and I am very, very quick. 4.5 40meter... But I was still very small and really didn't enjoy having someone twice my weight landing on me, so I went to playing baseball full time.

#18 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm 5'5". Was a fiend at safety because I knew where the carrier's center of gravity was and I am very, very quick. 4.5 40meter... But I was still very small and really didn't enjoy having someone twice my weight landing on me, so I went to playing baseball full time.

6'3 280 and at my fastest was a 4'9 40 

#19 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

In middle school I am on JV for basketball.

#20 DamianE

DamianE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

In middle school I am on JV for basketball.

naimadamian.png

#21 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Oh, haha I thought he meant literal speed. I'm somewhat slow as I am 6'1" 195 pounds. I try to be as aggressive off the snap as possible

#22 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Oh, haha I thought he meant literal speed. I'm somewhat slow as I am 6'1" 195 pounds. I try to be as aggressive off the snap as possible

Training with bands is a good way to get that explosive burst

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#23 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Training with bands is a good way to get that explosive burst

Free lifts are your best friend. Squats, Dead Lifts, Bench Press strengthen your muscles and joints as well as work on balance and explosiveness. 

#24 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Ya I bench 175, deadlift 165, squat 215, dumbbell chest press 2 45s, bicep curl 60, and I could even push over 700 on the leg pushy thingy (not sure what it's called)

#25 AoSpades

AoSpades

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

leg press

#26 Pvlacrosse14

Pvlacrosse14

Indians Football OG #67

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

Ya, that's it LOL thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users