• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mujen

Mujen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Hey everyone after playing paintball a few times with friends I decided I would like to get more serious into the sport. And before I'm willing to drop the cash into guns and equipment I wanted to ask a few questions.

I am predominately interested in woodsball, and scenario paintball. But I'm unsure on what gun I should choose to start with. My first choice was going for the Tippman X7 Phenom, I absolutely love the look of the gun and all the modifications that could be added on later. Although after browsing through the forums I see a lot of other players leaning toward the GoG G1 mainly the fact that its priced very fairly. I am also open to any other suggestions on other markers that have a MilSim look to them.

I would like a marker that will last a very long time, something durable that will be able to take the occasional drop, something that can shoot accurate at far range, at least 80 feet, and a marker that has easy to find modifications. Also i'm not too concerned with the weight of the marker.

Lastly what type of air tank would you recommend? I'm planning on using a coil and strap it on the back of my vest to reduce the weight on my arms.

Thank you in advanced!

#2 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

Since much of the gear you may or may not own is left in the open, I am going to assume that you are starting from scratch.

Make sure that you purchase a good mask that is comfortable for YOU, I myself own and love my V-force Grills. Other great masks include the JT proflex/empire e-flex, sly profit, proto axis pro, dye i4, ect ect. There are a lot of fantastic masks out there so make sure you get one that fits you well.

For the tank, almost every tank that goes onto a field right now is a 68/45, for good reason. They hold enough air to get through lengthy games, and are fairly light. That is what I am going to recommend, the cheaper steel tanks are an alright buy at first, but in the end you will be able to keep your tank for 5 years so why not just spring for the good stuff.  :tup:

For the marker, there are many good shooting "milsim" style markers out there. The TM-15, X7 Phenom, G1, Project salvo, there really isn't much room to go wrong, pick one that suits your fancy stock because even after you throw all the upgrades on it, it will still be essentially the same.

Tippmann offers some heavy duty durability with the stylings you may like.

Hope this helped, thanks for coming to the forums.

#3 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hey everyone after playing paintball a few times with friends I decided I would like to get more serious into the sport. And before I'm willing to drop the cash into guns and equipment I wanted to ask a few questions.

I am predominately interested in woodsball, and scenario paintball. But I'm unsure on what gun I should choose to start with. My first choice was going for the Tippman X7 Phenom, I absolutely love the look of the gun and all the modifications that could be added on later. Although after browsing through the forums I see a lot of other players leaning toward the GoG G1 mainly the fact that its priced very fairly. I am also open to any other suggestions on other markers that have a MilSim look to them.

I would like a marker that will last a very long time, something durable that will be able to take the occasional drop, something that can shoot accurate at far range, at least 80 feet, and a marker that has easy to find modifications. Also i'm not too concerned with the weight of the marker.

Lastly what type of air tank would you recommend? I'm planning on using a coil and strap it on the back of my vest to reduce the weight on my arms.

Thank you in advanced!

ok so now to clear up a few things. one like facepainter said get a good mask first! do not skimp out on a mask, i recommend v force grill, dye i4 (only if you have a small face/head or else it wont protect much), eflex or a proflex. however proflexes have very bendable bottoms so if you get shot in the lower portion of the face the ball might actually still smack you in the jaw, but they are so breathable its unreal for a mask. 

Also all markers that have a regulator will be as accurate as any other marker that has a regulator. Good quality paint, clean barrel, and High Pressured Air not co2 are the 3 main factors in accuracy. stay away from the project salvo as it has no regulator to control air pressure. If you want MilSim then go with GoG g1 as its priced just right, has a MilSim-esque look too it and functions well.

Lulzjustacat.png

#4 Mujen

Mujen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thank you for the quick replies. I did take the time to read about the start up guide in the sticky post so I know a mask comes first over everything.

Personally I was planning on getting the dye i4 but I'm not sure how well it will fit my face so I'll be heading to my local pb shop to try out a few masks.

But with the gog would I be finding my battery die often? Obviously as a newbie that switch to mechanical feature on the gun greatly cought my attention, added with the quick battery disconnect.

#5 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have never had a dead battery on one of my markers ever.

#6 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Go with the GoG. You will end up much happier. Also if you do find yourself wanting to try out speedball, it won't restrict you as much because you can move the hopper to center feed, unlike the Tippmann. Either way you choose to go, for your own sake, do not buy a bunch of "accessories" like lasers and scopes. Paintball markers are far too inaccurate, and don't shoot far enough to benefit from them.

Also, every marker will shoot the same distance at the same velocity. One marker will not be more accurate than another, nor will one shoot further.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#7 unfated33

unfated33

Punk Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Nevermind, I was tired and not paying attention to the Original Poster's requirements.

Edited by unfated33, 13 November 2013 - 05:33 PM.

Happiness... is a warm mechanical marker

Mechanical Marker Fan: Azodin Kaos-D / Tippmann Crossover

#8 Mujen

Mujen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Being that accuracy on all markers on the same. Is there a real purpose for adding a scope to the marker, or is it all for aesthetics?

#9 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

It is generally all for aesthetics unless you shoot first strike rounds and have a scope that can compensate for drop off. The only thing that truly affects the accuracy of a paintball is the ball itself. A ball is not the most aerodynamic thing in the world and combine that with dimples in the ball or a really big seam in the middle and you are in for a bad time. 

Modifications are normally pointless including on tippmanns because for the price you pay there is little return and virtually no resale value unless it is a high priced item. 

The only mods that are not pointless are switching from steel braided hose to marcoline and maybe a new bolt or feedneck. Also the only barrels that add range are the Apex or Apex 2 barrels and the flatline barrel.

#10 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

One thing to take into account.

You can use an electronic "spacegun" marker in the woods and it will outperform almost all of the milsim style markers, although disappointing as it may sound, they are lighter, (typically) easier to maintain, more comfortable to use, and (typically) faster.

All the while you could do that, and still wear all the camo your heart desires to still have a milsim feel.

#11 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

It is generally all for aesthetics unless you shoot first strike rounds and have a scope that can compensate for drop off. The only thing that truly affects the accuracy of a paintball is the ball itself. A ball is not the most aerodynamic thing in the world and combine that with dimples in the ball or a really big seam in the middle and you are in for a bad time. 

Modifications are normally pointless including on tippmanns because for the price you pay there is little return and virtually no resale value unless it is a high priced item. 

The only mods that are not pointless are switching from steel braided hose to marcoline and maybe a new bolt or feedneck. Also the only barrels that add range are the Apex or Apex 2 barrels and the flatline barrel.

why would switch to macro line? steel braided hose is fine, never leak on you, you dont have to cut the line right, you save like an ounce if you switch to macro lines and its just kinda pointless to spend money on macro, fittings, and teflon tape or loctite.

One thing to take into account.

You can use an electronic "spacegun" marker in the woods and it will outperform almost all of the milsim style markers, although disappointing as it may sound, they are lighter, (typically) easier to maintain, more comfortable to use, and (typically) faster.

All the while you could do that, and still wear all the camo your heart desires to still have a milsim feel.

easier to maintain? milsim markers are simple as shit, hell you dont even have to do so much as change a battery on them. comfortable is subjective. Also he is going for the MilSIm feel so your point is really not in line with what OP is asking for.

Lulzjustacat.png

#12 Key

Key

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I like the g1 personally and every gun on this list is built like a tank, so you cant go wrong in that field. If you do get the g1 though, make sure to get the blackheart board (You'll thank me later)

Also personally, dont get a s red dot sight or anything like that. They just are a waste of money and break pretty often for what your paying.

Looking for a Good Field in the Albany Area?

Their Website: http://albanyscenarioclub.com

Their Facebook: https://www.facebook...anyScenarioClub

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

why would switch to macro line? steel braided hose is fine, never leak on you, you dont have to cut the line right, you save like an ounce if you switch to macro lines and its just kinda pointless to spend money on macro, fittings, and teflon tape or loctite.

I never said you HAD to switch, read before posing. I just said that there are generally a few upgrades that are not pointless and steel braided hose sucks when it becomes unfreyed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users