• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey guys. I am new here. I played paintball off and on for 3-5 years back in 2005 all the way up to 2009/2010. Back when Angels were king and you werent cool enough for anything paintball related unless you owned an autococker or an angel. 

Anyways. I am looking to get back into it and spend around $350.00 for a full setup. I would rather not buy used. I have been looking at amazon and have been looking at the proto rails and smart parts ions as before I stopped playing I was really wanting an ion/speedball/airball gun. The ions are by far my favorite in looks and trigger feel although I cannot find any decent package deals where I can get a mask, hopper, barrel sleeve, gun, and HPA tank. I would rather purchase the HPA tank separate and have found this - http://www.amazon.co...=A296XKTZO0TYR9 - For the price it is perfect and the looks also is perfect for me. I cant see myself spending 100+ on an HPA tank alone. I also found this - http://www.amazon.co...=A371G8H8A5MY53 - and figured that I might as well get this but before I buy I want some opinions from people who are currently deep into the sport. I would love to get an ion and if I really have to buy used I could. If anyone on here has anything they wanna sell too I might consider it but no guarantee's. 

Mask doesnt matter to me because I will buy a new one after I buy my gun and I cant just wait long enough for a second paycheck to buy it. Im not a fan of renting the tippmann 98's...

#2 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

http://www.amazon.co...s ion paintball Found this? Worth it or not? Im not sure if I am a fan of that HPA tank but I could deal with it so long as its a good deal?

#3 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

I am going to ask why are you not a fan of buying used. Also does the field you plan on playing at have an HPA fill station?

#4 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

I am going to ask why are you not a fan of buying used. Also does the field you plan on playing at have an HPA fill station?

All the fields I plan to play at have HPA fill stations.

Im just not a fan of used equipment. If I have to, and its worth it to, I would buy used (but not a mask obviously.) I dont plan on playing on 1 specific field either. Here in oregon there are tons and multiple airball fields up in washington. Plus, I want to get my equipment before the next supergame (1000+ people show up to play last year from what I was told.).

#5 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

TBH if you buy used and bump your spending money by just $50 more you can get a set up that will be somewhat on par with what current speedballers shoot and use. 

Used Bob Long marker $250

used 3000 tank $25

used hopper 50

mask whatever you want to spend

#6 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

TBH if you buy used and bump your spending money by just $50 more you can get a set up that will be somewhat on par with what current speedballers shoot and use. 

used 3000 tank $25

used hopper 50

Where can you find a used bob long marker for $250? The cheapest NEW on their website is what? 900+ USD? I wouldnt see one going for less than 300.

#7 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

used 3000 tank $25

used hopper 50

Where can you find a used bob long marker for $250? The cheapest NEW on their website is what? 900+ USD? I wouldnt see one going for less than 300.

look in the BST, they pop up all the time

is mask price part of your $350 budget? 
and were you looking at electro markers specifically? or would a mech marker work

#8 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Bob Long Marq 6

the epitome of inline poppets 

Also Vices are going towards the $250 mark as well. The Vice is a G6R with a macroline

#9 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

used 3000 tank $25

used hopper 50

look in the BST, they pop up all the time

is mask price part of your $350 budget? 
and were you looking at electro markers specifically? or would a mech marker work

Yes, my mask would be worked into my $350.00 budget. I am looking for a strictly electronic marker.

Bob Long Marq 6

the epitome of inline poppets 

Also Vices are going towards the $250 mark as well. The Vice is a G6R with a macroline

Does bob long even service/sell repair parts for the marq 6? I mean, I see them on ebay selling for cheap but will it be cheap if I break something? What was its original retail value?

#10 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

original MSRP was around $800

#11 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

heres my suggestion 
i know you said you wanted electro but unless you're willing to buy used, $350 is kinda unrealistic for an entire new setup; mask, marker, tank and loader.

mask - JT flex 8 - $53

marker - GoG enmy - $130

tank - Guerrilla air pro 62/3000 - $65

loader - empire halo too - $74

that totals out to $322 plus tax

if you want to spend an extra $70 you can upgrade from the mech enmy to the electro envy.

#12 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

And they would probably service it still. There was a guy who gave his Marq to bob and they did a complete overhaul for him including $200 worth of parts for free.

#13 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

original MSRP was around $800

Anything else you could recommend? 

heres my suggestion 
i know you said you wanted electro but unless you're willing to buy used, $350 is kinda unrealistic for an entire new setup; mask, marker, tank and loader.

mask - JT flex 8 - $53

marker - GoG enmy - $130

tank - Guerrilla air pro 62/3000 - $65

loader - empire halo too - $74

that totals out to $322 plus tax

if you want to spend an extra $70 you can upgrade from the mech enmy to the electro envy.

Looks good but again, Mechanical. I had one and it broke paint like no other. Im not a fan of them anymore, sadly. I would much rather purchase electronic. The hopper can be electronic or just a basic $5 one. I really do not mind and the mask doesnt have to be expensive at all. I will eventually upgrade this all if I take it any more seriously.

And they would probably service it still. There was a guy who gave his Marq to bob and they did a complete overhaul for him including $200 worth of parts for free.

Sounds awesome but I currently only see 2 up for sale.

#14 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

There are other B/S/T/'s out there.

The ENMEY is a wonderful marker to start out with if you do not want to buy used. All I HIGHLY suggest doing is buying a 3000 psi tank and a hopper used to save you cash.

#15 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

There are other B/S/T/'s out there.

The ENMEY is a wonderful marker to start out with if you do not want to buy used. All I HIGHLY suggest doing is buying a 3000 psi tank and a hopper used to save you cash.

Alright, Thanks. What do you think of the Ion? Or the Proto rail 2011? Better or worse then the ENMEY?

Edited by Cloakedsphere, 13 November 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#16 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

The ENMEY will be a semi auto mech and the other 2 are going to be electro. Ions go for $60 used and the rail is about $150. I have never shot a Rail but I hear they are decent but gas hogs. 

#17 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

The ENMEY will be a semi auto mech and the other 2 are going to be electro. Ions go for $60 used and the rail is about $150. I have never shot a Rail but I hear they are decent but gas hogs. 

What about the used mini's from this B/S/T forum? Ive seen a few and I have heard good and bad about them. I am unsure of what to get!

#18 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

If you find a mini for under $200 I say go for it. I personally hate the Mini because of it's shitty trigger and cramped trigger guard but other than that it is do-able. I recommend it if you are willing to come to the understanding that you may never sell it again unless it is at a ridiculously low price. On the other hand the Axe (the Mini's older brother) is a truly phenomenal marker. Those can go for $225 - $250 if you are lucky. 

Edited by kingJurzy, 13 November 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#19 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

If you find a mini for under $200 I say go for it. I personally hate the Mini because of it's shitty trigger and cramped trigger guard but other than that it is do-able. I recommend it if you are willing to come to the understanding that you may never sell it again unless it is at a ridiculously low price. On the other hand the Axe (the Mini's older brother) is a truly phenomenal marker. Those can go for $225 - $250 if you are lucky. 

The proto rail is really looking like my best option since I wont be purchasing till I get payed (3rd of december.). So I think I will keep an eye on used rails and if I can get one under 200$ I can get a cool lookin' mask with it and HPA tank with it haha.

Edited by Cloakedsphere, 13 November 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#20 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Don't get a cool looking mask but I know you were only half joking. 

Get something with a thermal lens and spend as much as you can on it, it will be yours forever and you don't want a crappy mask hanging around at your house.

#21 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Get an ansgear blue/red got envy with a loader around $60 of your choice (halo too recommended but if you want to go lower get a 9v fasta) then get an empire 68/4500 tank its a little more than 325 bucks but its worth it. Mask is most important so......DARN  :angry:

#22 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Don't get a cool looking mask but I know you were only half joking. 

Get something with a thermal lens and spend as much as you can on it, it will be yours forever and you don't want a crappy mask hanging around at your house.

Yeah, I was half joking. I am really liking the Dye masks though. (looks awesome with the thermal lenses.) But yeah. Its up in the air right now. The ion package or the Proto rail package. 

#23 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

i would personally go for the proto package. ive seen lots of people shooting them. the primo that it comes with wont get you anywhere so you'll need to look into getting an electronic loader to keep up with the marker. 

the dye i4 is a great mask but in my opinion its quite overpriced and its small. if you have a large head then your chin and jaw may be exposed, even your mouth if its open. a larger alternative would be the empire e-flex or the v-force profiler/grills. even though the profiler or grills don't  come stock with a thermal lens, buying one with the mask is slightly cheaper than buying the i4 or the e-flex alone. (and the grills look frickin sick)

#24 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

i would personally go for the proto package. ive seen lots of people shooting them. the primo that it comes with wont get you anywhere so you'll need to look into getting an electronic loader to keep up with the marker. 

the dye i4 is a great mask but in my opinion its quite overpriced and its small. if you have a large head then your chin and jaw may be exposed, even your mouth if its open. a larger alternative would be the empire e-flex or the v-force profiler/grills. even though the profiler or grills don't  come stock with a thermal lens, buying one with the mask is slightly cheaper than buying the i4 or the e-flex alone. (and the grills look frickin sick)

Sounds good man.

Also, Anyone live in the Pacific NW? There is supposedly a huge 1000+ man game that happens once per year called the super game. Its 3 days long and all 1000+ players on the field at one time. It happens down in St. paul, Oregon. Cant wait for that to happen in may of 2014. It will be by far my biggest game ever. (My biggest being a 500 man game in tacoma, washington.)

#25 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:31 PM

You can get a midend etek 3 lt for about $250 now as well if your concerned about parts. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#26 LunarEclipse02

LunarEclipse02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Find your self a Bob Long Alias for around $200 or a Marq around $250.  Personally best guns for the price bar none.   If you can find a vice around $300 I would say jump all over it.  If you have any issue with an old Bob Long gun Bob Long takes care of his products and customers.  I have used Bob Long for years and its the best way to go.

#27 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

So guys. I went looking around and found a GoG Envy. What if I picked up one of those? It would definitely save me some cash and I was reading around about it not having autococker threads but they said you can buy some sort of freak kit (???). Anyways. What if I bought that? I could get a better mask and hopper if thats the better buy here.

Edited by Cloakedsphere, 14 November 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#28 smurfinator22

smurfinator22

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

So guys. I went looking around and found a GoG Envy. What if I picked up one of those? It would definitely save me some cash and I was reading around about it not having autococker threads but they said you can buy some sort of freak kit (???). Anyways. What if I bought that? I could get a better mask and hopper if thats the better buy here.

the GoG envy is probably the best marker brand new for $200. it doesnt have cocker threads but it has ion threads. and it cant use a freak kit stock but if you buy a freak barrel (http://www.ansgear.c...lionimpulse.htm) you can use freak inserts (http://www.ansgear.com/category_s/2682.htm) to make a better barrel to ball match for better efficiency. also the freak barrel will be easier to point than the stock 8 inch barrel but the stock barrel works just fine.

#29 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

http://www.amazon.co...s ion paintball Found this? Worth it or not? Im not sure if I am a fan of that HPA tank but I could deal with it so long as its a good deal?

not worth it. wwwaaayyy over priced

Lulzjustacat.png

#30 Cloakedsphere

Cloakedsphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

Came back from a local PB shop and picked up this - http://www.amazon.co...rds=Spyder mask

Looks and feels great. Non thermal lens but they had an insert for 5$. The shop threw it in for free since I told them I was just getting back into the sport and that I ordered the new 2014 rail from them and told em I would pick it up. So its all set and ready to go! 

I decided on the rail (Purple/pinkish. Not because I am a chick but I think its funny to be shot with a pink gun.) and they will get me a decent deal on a hopper, gun and HPA tank. So I will be ready to go in early december.

#31 conorq12

conorq12

Are those my balls on your face?

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

proto rail, halo too, empire hpa tank, and empire helix goggles.

lg_ICU%20Paintball%20logo.jpg
ICU Paintball
Des Moines, Iowa
DSM Detox

ICU Rattlesnake

#32 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

I literally put like 50 chilled paintball into my enmey and ripped on the trigger. No ill effects, the only time that it even broke paint was when I shortstroked it
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users