42 replies to this topic

#1 Justin B.

Justin B.

Damage Control D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ok so, I know I have said this plenty but I have tryouts for a D4 team that has never been formed before and doesn't even have a name. Anyways, I was too excited not to say something and I just wanted to know if there are anymore useful tips anyone could give me. I have seen Mikes videos where he said not to ask things like "Who would we be sponsored by?" and I already know the answer partially, because one of the refs at my field told me without me asking.

Got any useful tips?

PAP Family - Damage Control #77

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#2 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Play very aggressive and smart at the same time. Also have good communication. Being confident is probably the most important thing.

Ohio Raiders 

#3 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

I always play very aggressive and smart and I'm pretty confident too. Not to say what you recommended was bad. Thanks man!

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#4 5ozofpain

5ozofpain

FUS RO DAH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Justin, your dedication alone should get you on the team. Goodluck to you and keep working hard!

Edited by 5ozofpain, 16 November 2013 - 05:15 PM.

Feedback I LE AXE 

EKK ELITE

#5 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Im going to be the Devils advocate. Don't go in with a big head. Go in with ZERO expectations.

Go have fun, play hard and do your best. 

If for some reason your best is not enough, dont get discouraged, keep working and try again!

Best of luck to you young grasshopper. May the force be with you.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#6 Lt. Blood

Lt. Blood

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Play very aggressive and smart at the same time. Also have good communication. Being confident is probably the most important thing.

Good players aren't aggressive; you want to passively control the field. Aggression leads to attempting to make a run by to the next bunker without verifying if a line is there or if you're being counted. Now onto the tips

1. Never gun fight if the other guy gets the lane first, tuck in and start throwing ropes where their next bumper will be. They will run into that lane of paint.

2. Never put your marker down always keep it up, Same goes for your head if running and shooting or going directly to a bunker look sideways not forwards.

3. Communication. Don't shout your lungs out saying s2 is out s2 is out etc. Make efficient call outs for example S2 D1, S2 D1, S2 D1 until you hear your team echo the call out. Also be sure to call out if a position is gone "S2 is gone".

4. When snap shooting or trying to get control of a lane remember if you are only gun fighting on one side of your bunker change your altitude of which you come out making so that their lanes are way off due to the constant changing of the angle they are shooting you from.

5. The most important tip for some one who wants to play on a new team; be organized. Practice 1-2 times a week + ensure every one is doing some form of exercise (our team does crossfit 1-2 times a week together for about 2-3 hours). Also make sure when you practice you are scrimming vs. real teams around your level of play on top of  playing as if in a tourney; AKA 2 min to get on the field + swap sides each round. Not doing so or not doing basic things like putting on a barrel plug will make not doing what you need to do an issue that will occur in tournaments (for us we had two players who were like 3 inches off the break bunker wall thing so we got penalties from that). Remember to practice as if you are in a tournament that is what being in a team is all about.

6. Final thoughts: if you have never played in a league/big tournament before start in D5. Most people think D4 and D5 are the same thing D5 is probably bad. D5 tends to be above most fields level including the teams that practice on them. D4 at this time can get ridiculously hard especially for teams with 7 or less players. If you don't start from the bottom you will just lose and never get better. It's better to start in D5 where your team will probably talk trash about them and end up in last place in D4 while you could have at least made it to quarter finals or some high place playing in D5 with serious practice. Rant over don't start in D4 unless you've been playing 7+ years or have competed before. D5 is better to start in by a long shot.

Good Luck Tomorrow

P.S. If you ever need help and will be online for a while you should go to the chat room it usually has a few people in it which can give you some tips and instant help on most things.

Edited by Lt. Blood, 16 November 2013 - 06:04 PM.

80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that hates that shit , put this in your sig!Go ahead and throw your ions. I'll just catch them and throw em' back, except harder You may live in a 500,000 dollar house but i live in a 2 dollar box under a 6,000,000 dollar bridgeSave a rock,throw a tippmann its ok you won't be able to hurt it.put this on ur sig if u feel a need to call paintcheck........even if all you can see is orange! If you live in Panama, hit me up.

#7 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Justin, your dedication alone should get you on the team. Goodluck to you and keep working hard!

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Im going to be the Devils advocate. Don't go in with a big head. Go in with ZERO expectations.

Go have fun, play hard and do your best. 

If for some reason your best is not enough, dont get discouraged, keep working and try again!

Best of luck to you young grasshopper. May the force be with you.

I will and Thank You!

Good players aren't aggressive; you want to passively control the field. Aggression leads to attempting to make a run by to the next bunker without verifying if a line is there or if you're being counted. Now onto the tips

1. Never gun fight if the other guy gets the lane first, tuck in and start throwing ropes where their next bumper will be. They will run into that lane of paint.

2. Never put your marker down always keep it up, Same goes for your head if running and shooting or going directly to a bunker look sideways not forwards.

3. Communication. Don't shout your lungs out saying s2 is out s2 is out etc. Make efficient call outs for example S2 D1, S2 D1, S2 D1 until you hear your team echo the call out. Also be sure to call out if a position is gone "S2 is gone".

4. When snap shooting or trying to get control of a lane remember if you are only gun fighting on one side of your bunker change your altitude of which you come out making so that their lanes are way off due to the constant changing of the angle they are shooting you from.

5. The most important tip for some one who wants to play on a new team; be organized. Practice 1-2 times a week + ensure every one is doing some form of exercise (our team does crossfit 1-2 times a week together for about 2-3 hours). Also make sure when you practice you are scrimming vs. real teams around your level of play on top of  playing as if in a tourney; AKA 2 min to get on the field + swap sides each round. Not doing so or not doing basic things like putting on a barrel plug will make not doing what you need to do an issue that will occur in tournaments (for us we had two players who were like 3 inches off the break bunker wall thing so we got penalties from that). Remember to practice as if you are in a tournament that is what being in a team is all about.

6. Final thoughts: if you have never played in a league/big tournament before start in D5. Most people think D4 and D5 are the same thing D5 is probably bad. D5 tends to be above most fields level including the teams that practice on them. D4 at this time can get ridiculously hard especially for teams with 7 or less players. If you don't start from the bottom you will just lose and never get better. It's better to start in D5 where your team will probably talk trash about them and end up in last place in D4 while you could have at least made it to quarter finals or some high place playing in D5 with serious practice. Rant over don't start in D4 unless you've been playing 7+ years or have competed before. D5 is better to start in by a long shot.

Good Luck Tomorrow

P.S. If you ever need help and will be online for a while you should go to the chat room it usually has a few people in it which can give you some tips and instant help on most things.

Thanks for the tips and about the chat room......I've been perma - banned from there for a few months. I don't intend to go back either.

- Cookybiscuit

#8 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you Lt. Blood. Good players know how to have controlled aggression. I guess I could have verified that in my first post. Also the captains will most likely pay more attention to you when your making plays. When I say that I don't mean run up the middle into 5 lanes of paint but make yourself stand out.

Good luck justin I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Ohio Raiders 

#9 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you Lt. Blood. Good players know how to have controlled aggression. I guess I could have verified that in my first post. Also the captains will most likely pay more attention to you when your making plays. When I say that I don't mean run up the middle into 5 lanes of paint but make yourself stand out.

Good luck justin I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Thanks man! Also, I agree with having controlled aggression because I have been told quite a few times by the semi pro players I have practiced with, that I am a very aggressive player but I know how to control it.

- Cookybiscuit

#10 the Vampire

the Vampire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hope you do well justin I've seen you that you have put a lot of heart and determination into the sport.

#11 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

Hope you do well justin I've seen you that you have put a lot of heart and determination into the sport.

Thanks! I'm fairly confident I'll make it but not too confident that I'll be cocky. I have never been a cocky person and probably never will be. Hope I make the team!

EDIT: My parents will be taking pictures of me at the tryouts so hopefully I'll be able to upload some of those.

Edited by Justin B., 16 November 2013 - 10:40 PM.

- Cookybiscuit

#12 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Good luck. I have enjoyed reading about your progression.

#13 the Vampire

the Vampire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

It's not cocky if you can back it up. :-|

#14 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Play hard and good luck! I wish good things for you.

Supreme and terrible Ra who maketh god and men tremble before Thee
I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile

#15 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Oh last bit of advice from my old baseball coach. Dont go and get a big dick after the first good one.

If you start off well dont let it get to your head, keep calm and level headed. Cool operator and shit ya dig. 

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

#16 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm sure probably already know this but try to get there early and help out.

Ohio Raiders 

#17 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hey guys.........I MADE THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As practice we had to play against damage control and Revo and I did good. At the end of the day we screwed around and did a game of 10 man just for fun and to light each other up. O MY GOD, I've never been hit by so many Paintballs at once in my life!

- Cookybiscuit

#18 Red Infinity

Red Infinity

sugar berzerk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

nice job Justin, need pics nao.

RAWR?

#19 epic woodsballer

epic woodsballer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Congrats I knew you would make it. How many people tried out?

Ohio Raiders 

#20 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Congrats I knew you would make it. How many people tried out?

haha funny story, I was actually 1 of 3 people that showed up because the rest of the people that were supposed to come, went to a junior hunting thing. So they told me that I was basically on the team and all I have to do is show up next weekend for when the rest of the people fight for the other spots. They already took down my APPA info and are adding me to the roster tonight. I actually had it harder though because instead of trying out against players of my skill level, I had to play against Revo.

P.S. I am a back player. I do get to go up front though fairly often when the snake players get shot out.

nice job Justin, need pics nao.

My parents couldn't get any. It stinks but they said it was hard to get a good picture through the netting and I was kinda far away sometimes.

- Cookybiscuit

#21 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

20101224161625!Son-i-am-proud.jpg

#22 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

20101224161625!Son-i-am-proud.jpg

LOLOLOLOLOL

- Cookybiscuit

#23 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,064 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

:tup:

Good shit man

#24 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

:tup:

Good shit man

Hey Jurzy, haven't talked to you in a while. Thanks man! I never thought I would like playing back position but they all said that I'm very good at it and that it is more difficult than front player because I have to get up front sometime when the front players get shot out. So I'm pretty happy with it and I can always ask to try a different position.

- Cookybiscuit

#25 the Vampire

the Vampire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Nice justin

#26 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Nice justin

Thanks! They also told me that practice would be every other weekend in the winter and the rest of the year it will be every weekend. Also, the weekend before a tourney they said would always be a 2 case weekend and I can't go home until I shoot all the paint. They haven't gotten any real sponsors yet other than my paintball field. They are going to try to get GI Sportz. I don't know about getting a Planet Eclipse gun sponsor yet but that is a maybe.

Edited by Justin B., 19 November 2013 - 03:27 PM.

- Cookybiscuit

#27 Lt. Blood

Lt. Blood

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Nice justin

Thanks! They also told me that practice would be every other weekend in the winter and the rest of the year it will be every weekend. Also, the weekend before a tourney they said would always be a 2 case weekend and I can't go home until I shoot all the paint. They haven't gotten any real sponsors yet other than my paintball field and I will only be paying $28 a case! They are going to try to get GI Sportz and it is pretty likely that they will because the field I play at is sponsored by GI. I don't know about getting a Planet Eclipse gun sponsor yet but that is a maybe.

My tip now get a job it you don't have one since the GI sponsorship's run usually from 500+ dollars you have to put down on jersey and pants and the loader. The perks are they will pay for your paint if you win and if you do good free stuff. Remember just practicing won't make you good you need to ensure every one on the team is exercising and is in shape; you don't want to show up to a tournament and be tired after a few games due to the heat or playing too much.

80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that hates that shit , put this in your sig!Go ahead and throw your ions. I'll just catch them and throw em' back, except harder You may live in a 500,000 dollar house but i live in a 2 dollar box under a 6,000,000 dollar bridgeSave a rock,throw a tippmann its ok you won't be able to hurt it.put this on ur sig if u feel a need to call paintcheck........even if all you can see is orange! If you live in Panama, hit me up.

#28 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Nice justin

Thanks! They also told me that practice would be every other weekend in the winter and the rest of the year it will be every weekend. Also, the weekend before a tourney they said would always be a 2 case weekend and I can't go home until I shoot all the paint. They haven't gotten any real sponsors yet other than my paintball field and I will only be paying $28 a case! They are going to try to get GI Sportz and it is pretty likely that they will because the field I play at is sponsored by GI. I don't know about getting a Planet Eclipse gun sponsor yet but that is a maybe.

My tip now get a job it you don't have one since the GI sponsorship's run usually from 500+ dollars you have to put down on jersey and pants and the loader. The perks are they will pay for your paint if you win and if you do good free stuff. Remember just practicing won't make you good you need to ensure every one on the team is exercising and is in shape; you don't want to show up to a tournament and be tired after a few games due to the heat or playing too much.

The guys on my team so far are in good shape and we all communicated well today. Overall I had a ton of fun. About the GI Sportz sponsorship, my parents are going to pay for all my paint and everything for these first two years and then when I'm 16, I'll get a job and pay them back over a long time.

- Cookybiscuit

#29 Nobben #44

Nobben #44

Life's too short to drive boring cars

• Members
  • 11,465 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Good beans, your first team is always fun. :tup:

#30 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Good beans, your first team is always fun. :tup:

I hope so.....lol. I'm can't wait to start practicing with them and playing tourney's!

- Cookybiscuit

#31 P.A.N

P.A.N

Techpb to the front!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Awesome that you made the team bro!

#32 AoSpades

AoSpades

I'll poop on your parade with big, stinky, liquidy facts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

pics nao

2012 G6R || 2010 VICTORY || CROME 2 || ROGUE || LEGEND || THRESHOLD || G3

SPLASH ANNO'D CUSTOM PUMP || BLACK AKA'D KARNIVOR PUMP

Step up your game: Go A.P.E.

#33 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

pics nao

I wish. My parents didn't get any because they said I was too far away a lot and they couldn't get good pictures through the netting. I wish they would have stood inside the netting and  actually on the field so that I could have some shots but it didn't happen so....whatever.

- Cookybiscuit

#34 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

Awesome that you made the team bro!

Thanks!

- Cookybiscuit

#35 erg993

erg993

Poke' Baller

• BST Moderator
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Dude, out of respect for Rick, I'm gonna suggest taking down the paint pricing, just saying.

Congrats on making the team.

Feedback

JT Replacement Foam - http://tinyurl.com/kwscalp

#36 tallsmallboy44

tallsmallboy44

Space Cowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,301 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Dude, out of respect for Rick, I'm gonna suggest taking down the paint pricing, just saying.

Yeah. I wouldn't go posting about the details of your sponsorships and discounts you get.

fuck yolo
#carpediem

Feedback 2/0/0   Buy my shit here: http://www.techpb.co...-bob-long-vcom/

#37 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Yeah. I wouldn't go posting about the details of your sponsorships and discounts you get.

It's cool, I took it down. I don't want to brag about it either. I was just really excited at the time.

Oh by the way. I don't know the employees at PAP other than refs so is Rick the field owner?

Edited by Justin B., 19 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

- Cookybiscuit

#38 Key

Key

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

Nice job. Keep up the good work.

Looking for a Good Field in the Albany Area?

Their Website: http://albanyscenarioclub.com

Their Facebook: https://www.facebook...anyScenarioClub

#39 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Nice job. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

- Cookybiscuit

#40 Ultimatefinn

Ultimatefinn

Eric Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

You need to change your title to "Playing tournaments". I also have to say that for someone like me who is looking to start playing tournaments as well, this is pretty inspiring.

Edited by Ultimatefinn, 21 November 2013 - 05:56 PM.

This is exactly what marketing guns has come down too. a dick waving contest. You can say all the stuff you want but until you whip it out wave it around and prove it to the world everyone will doubt you. -bigx

#41 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

You need to change your title to "Playing tournaments". I also have to say that for someone like me who is looking to start playing tournaments as well, this is pretty inspiring.

Thanks, I'm glad I inspired you!

- Cookybiscuit

#42 Village Idiot

Village Idiot

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Good job. Now to get us some of those videos you like to post, lol.

Supreme and terrible Ra who maketh god and men tremble before Thee
I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Those Whom the Gods Detest - Nile

#43 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Good job. Now to get us some of those videos you like to post, lol.

Hopefully I will be able to get some goggle cam videos but I won't be doing very many barrel cam videos anymore because it adds weight to my barrel and it makes it different when I'm practicing.

- Cookybiscuit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users