17 replies to this topic

#1 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hi all,

I recently purchased an old stock ion, after cleaning it and adding upgrades, it has started to leak.

Body: Shocktech

Trigger: CP rake,

ASA; Planet Eclipse OOPS ASA

Regulator: stock

Feedneck: Shocktech Clamping Feedneck

Board: Virtue Ion Board

QEV: 360QEV.

Now when the gun body is not attached to the frame, the leak sounds like its coming from the back of the gun, where the rear seals are and from the bottom of the solenoid. I tested with a qtip and detergent water and I can confirm bubbles from the bottom of the solenoid, but not the back.  However, once i screw the body onto the grip frame, the leak from the rear and the solenoid stop.  However, I can hear hissing from inside the frame and air is coming from the trigger.  Can anyone help me with what else to check?  

-Sin

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

It is probably the same spot, it just sounds different with the frame on. Have you opened up the solenoid at all and checked the status of the armature inside the solenoid?

solenoid_ping2.JPG

Edited by andrewthewookie, 21 November 2013 - 12:10 AM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well the bottom of the solenoid would make bubbles on the qtip when the parts are not screwed in, but when the frame is on the gun, i apply the qtip to the same spot and nothing.  However, I can feel and hear air from the tigger area now.  As for the back of the gun, I can feel air shooting out from the back when the grip is not attached, but when the grip is attached, there is no air at all. 

For the part in the back, I think it may just be because shocktech body is a semi BOB setup so it needs to rear screw to tighten the rear donut so it secures the o ring between the donut and the gas.  However, I cannot figure out the solenoid issue.  The microlines are all new so I do not think its the microline, and I could not get any bubbles from the qtips when I applied the solution to the valve or fittings.

I have checked the solenoid, removed armature, wiped everything down, stuck a qtip in it to get whatever gunk is there, but qtip came out clean, used a compressed air can to expel any dust or whatever in there, still leaks when not on the frame, but does not leak when grip frame is attached.

I will try and post a picture of the setup when I get home tonight.

-SIn

Edited by SinCrisis, 21 November 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#4 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

It's difficult to get the Shocktech bodies to seal as the oring between the body and the donut like to leak,I ended up cutting the body and using the standard donut and fitting on mine.

I've also had issues with some bodies pushing on the top of the noid housing causing the noid to leak,not exactly sure why,Figured that it isn't allowing the banjo hosering to expand and clamp on the hose properly

Check you orings on the base of your banjos too,the dry up easily,often the culprit on my mysterious Ion leaks

#5 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Check inside the solenoid again. Make sure the rubber tip on the armature is not damaged in anyway. Any tears or deformation in the rubber tip will cause it to leak. This is what happened to my first Ion.

#6 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Well I checked again and andrewthewookie was right about the leaks till being in the same spot, the bottom of the solenoid was still leaking, just less air coming out.  I mailed the board back to Virtue and put the stock board back in.  The armature isn't the issue because installed in the stock board, there are no leaks from the solenoid.  However, now its leaking from somewhere else, but at this point, I'm tempted to just wait for the Virtue board to come back because I'm going to be switching this one out anyway.

@punisher068:  Yea that rear of the body kit is annoying, but once its screwed down tight, it doesnt leak.  I might get a tiny bit of dow55 and just swell that o ring a bit so it seals better.  I only have one banjo fitting left in the thing and it is fine.  I checked it and gave it a little grease to make sure its sealing.  I wonder if the body thing might be the culprit.  Do you know how to fix that if it is the case?  If Virtue sends the board back and tells me there's no issues with it, that might very well be the problem.

@Wolfe: The amature is fine, I checked it many times.  I may order an extra just to be safe since Ions aren't produced anymore, but I am sure the one I have now is good.  Does not leak on stock board.

#7 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Dow55 is a good  idea,hadn't thought of that.In my case the two orings that seal the can and the donut also leaked,it was such a tight fit that it flattened  part of the oring,had to slightly sand and polish the inside of the donut to get it not to chop them.Since the banjo oring kept leaking I just gave up on the BOB feature,since then I installed a Hollowpoint bolt which wouldn't work with the donut anyway.

#8 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yea, my Shocktech rear takes a chunk out the second o ring when i remove it, we thinking about sanding it as well but was worried about ruining the rest of the seal in the back.  I really like the way it looks so I'm doing my best to keep it.  Anywho, waiting on Virtue now, hopefully their Customer Service is really good, cuz I'd really like to have a working gun before Thanksgiving...  

#9 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

I've got a Shocktech body as well, and I had to grind off a bit of the screw threads on the banjo they provide for the rear of the gun. If I screwed it in all the way, it would either keep the back cap in place and wouldn't let me pull it out, or would tear the little o-ring on the bottom of the back cap. If I screwed it in just enough to let the back cap be taken out, it wasn't in enough to seal properly. I ground it down so it was short enough to be tightly screwed in without hindering the back cap.

Also, I've had good experiences with Virtue as well. I had a virtue OLED with a busted screen, they had me send it in and sent me a brand new one, no questions asked.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 25 November 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#10 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Don't worry about Virtues customer service,it's tops in the paintball community.

The 1st time I called to send a board back I tried to explain my issue,the tech laughed and said"just send it in,dont worry about it"

I received a new one in less than a week,impressive since I'm in CA and they're in NY

Good to hear I'm not the only one with Shocktech body issues

#11 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

Haha, yea they did the same with me, except im in NJ so I mailed it last friday so they should have it there today.. if they can fix it and mail it back tomorrow ill have it just in time for Thanksgiving weekend, which, fingers crossed, should be the end to my Ion woes for now...  

#12 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:55 PM

So i got it back sometime last week and was too busy to post, but i dropped the board in and it doesnt leak from the solenoid but now theres a major leak somewhere else.  Sigh, anyone else got any suggestions?  I cant find the leak at all and its very depressing.  Gun fires with leak though, shot around 500 rounds, but it ate up nearly 1500k in air so its not even a playable leak.

I tried to switch out the QEV thinking that might be the problem, but its not.  It may be the shocktech body, gonna try and switch it back to the original body but i think i lost the c clip for the rear donut.

Edited by SinCrisis, 09 December 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#13 Punisher068

Punisher068

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Most likely the Shocktech body,yet to see one that works.My local ACE hardware store stocks the c clips,I can't remember the size off hand.

If you like the look of the Shocktech body but don't want to use the BOB donut you can drill out the threads big enough so the stock banjo will fit on the stock donut,what I ended up doing with mine

Try some bubble blowing solution on a qtip to track down leaks,you can get a huge containers most dollar stores

#14 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yea, ive been doing detergent + water and qtip, which is how i found the first solenoid leak.  Maybe bubble solution will be more, bubbly and noticeable.  Getting a bit sick of this problem though.  Will update when I get a chance to get some bubble solution.

#15 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

So, the issue is, as finally discovered, still the shocktech body.  Gun is flawless in original Ion body with donut.  Only thing left to try is to swell that o ring in the back.  Couldn't tell it was that area before because the back screw was on tight so the air wasn't leaking out the back, but from the back into the body.  

#16 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

FInally, gun is working and fixed, the final problem was the rear hose.  For anyone using the shocktech bodies, check the hose that comes with the gun, the fitting on mine, there's 2 o rings on the fitting that needs to be oiled, very tiny, didn't even know they were there.  I also switched out the oring between the rear cap and body and that made a great seal.  No issues at all now with the gun.  thanks for all the suggestions and help.

#17 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,111 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

As much as I love my Shocktech body (well, not really love, just like a lot), that's a lot of hassle to go through. If I had to deal with that much, I probably would have given up earlier on.

#18 SinCrisis

SinCrisis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

your fitting mod would have been the next thing I would try, I just didn't want to make any permanent modifications if I didn't have to.  But yea, it was a huge pain and took a while, but on the bright side, this is my first ion and the useless inspections on all the other parts gave me a really good understanding of how this gun works so hopefully I'll be able to tackle any future problems easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users