22 replies to this topic

#1 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

I was wondering if there are any plans to do the secret forums again this year?

Also are there going to be small squads to do missions within the 6 or 7 groups?

#2 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

We'll add a private section after registration starts.

Edit: I just say your post that it started so I'll open one this weekend.

#3 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

We'll add a private section after registration starts.

Edit: I just say your post that it started so I'll open one this weekend.

Okay, is it going to be for New Empire only?

#4 Wico90

Wico90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Last year there was one for both, but that was because TechPB was on both sides. As far as I know there will be secret forums on every major forum for the Horde incase we dont get one here

Posted Image

#5 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm just looking for the New Empire forums anyway :)

#6 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

I would hope there would be Horde forums. There are those of us who will be facing the rest of you come spring time!

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#7 slinkyaroo

slinkyaroo

Yes, I'm old. Yes, I'm cranky.

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

We'll make a section for both teams.  After I'll get together with Sean Scott and if he can send me registration info to allow access.

#8 Irish725

Irish725

Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Sweet. Always fun to strategize and all.

IrishBanner2_zps537819c4.png

Veteran of Living Legends V and VI...looking forward to LL VII! 

#9 Sean Scott

Sean Scott

Director of Awesomeness for Living Legends

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

We'll make a section for both teams.  After I'll get together with Sean Scott and if he can send me registration info to allow access.

Not a problem. With our new reg system, it should be easier for me this year. You will just have to stay on top of me. Email works best - sean.cpxsports@gmail.com

Sean Scott

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
www.cpxsports.com

#10 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Any update on the private forums?

#11 Pull Pin Productions

Pull Pin Productions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Can't freaking wait for this event!

Chiron Legion FTW!

#12 Mental

Mental

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Looking forward to meeting new friends in May... It would be great to get to know some team mates in a forum before hand.

That's like Rental

But with an"M"

#13 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

Yeah what's up with this? This forum used to BLOW UP in the months before LL. Now its nothing.

Are there secret forums yet?

#14 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Typically by this time I would have already started the thread that breaks down which teams are playing for which Faction, but I think this has been the slowest the forums have ever been before and event like this.  I have a feeling there is something a brewing in the Members Section, however I know there are people in there that will be playing for the Horde so I hope there isn't too much info being divulged in there.

#15 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Typically by this time I would have already started the thread that breaks down which teams are playing for which Faction, but I think this has been the slowest the forums have ever been before and event like this.  I have a feeling there is something a brewing in the Members Section, however I know there are people in there that will be playing for the Horde so I hope there isn't too much info being divulged in there.

From my perspective after watching this a couple years already now, it's not an easy task to match up individuals buying tickets with usernames/accounts on this forum.  For example, the username gathering on the CPX side is a free text field that doesn't even specify TechPB.  CPX is probably going to have folks putting in just usernames from whatever forum they frequent the most (i.e. automags.org), and may or may not actually put in their forum.  So, someone, either CPX or TechPB is going to have to filter that for TechPB usernames and then, hope that the individuals didn't mistype their usernames.

Then, you have the issue of all of the mods having access to the secret forum (however, I know at least some of them practice honor and don't peek).  To prevent this the admins would need to create a new layer of security, or a manual list of which mods registered for what.

Finally, it appears that there has generally been little interest in pre-cordinating anything over the secret sub-forum.  I mean it was cool to see previews of someone's cool new scenario toy (i.e. Leviathans RCXD) or TechPB Mike's personal intentions for the dinner battle but, I can't recall anything over the past few years that mattered to more than a couple people come game day.  Year before last, I made us a map that that had some support from the XO and the legion commanders liked it but, it was really just redundant since the CO/XO and Commanders all had an 'official' map that was done secretly and in parallel.

#16 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, thats way more complicated than it needs to be. I remember when it was just "send a picture of your receipt to X mod".... Then tell them if you want into the Empire or Horde secret forums. Or hell, to make it easier just make New Empire forums. Thats the TechPB side anyway...

Edited by FacePainter, 24 February 2014 - 04:29 PM.

#17 p8ntballin007

p8ntballin007

WRECKER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Yeah I remember the two map system two years ago.  I think I ended up using the one you made because it was clear and the other one was kind a throw together that someone did on another forum, but because the general saw it first it became the official map. 

The forum issue is where I do get lost though.  2 years ago it appeared to work fine, but I don't know all the behind the scene's stuff that went on.  I can't imagine it would be easy.  Especially because as you said, they didn't ask to specify which forum your user name is for.  I have a feeling I'm one of the few who's name is always the same on here, Nation, and AO.  It would be nice to have the forums, but I agree the hassle to make it work might not be worth the payout especially since it seamed to be, as you pretty accurately described a, "secret weapon" preview system.  

Maybe slink or Sean Scott could shed some more light on the situation.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  Understandable.  I know both are extremely busy people so maybe just a "We're still working on it," or a "Not gonna happen." 

#18 UV Halo

UV Halo

Bringing the Big Guns to LLVI

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, thats way more complicated than it needs to be. I remember when it was just "send a picture of your receipt to X mod".... Then tell them if you want into the Empire or Horde secret forums. Or hell, to make it easier just make New Empire forums. Thats the TechPB side anyway...

Yeah I remember the two map system two years ago.  I think I ended up using the one you made because it was clear and the other one was kind a throw together that someone did on another forum, but because the general saw it first it became the official map. 

The forum issue is where I do get lost though.  2 years ago it appeared to work fine, but I don't know all the behind the scene's stuff that went on.  I can't imagine it would be easy.  Especially because as you said, they didn't ask to specify which forum your user name is for.  I have a feeling I'm one of the few who's name is always the same on here, Nation, and AO.  It would be nice to have the forums, but I agree the hassle to make it work might not be worth the payout especially since it seamed to be, as you pretty accurately described a, "secret weapon" preview system.  

Maybe slink or Sean Scott could shed some more light on the situation.  If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  Understandable.  I know both are extremely busy people so maybe just a "We're still working on it," or a "Not gonna happen." 

I do want to point out that I'm not saying the secret forum won't happen but, rather reasons for delay or why it may not actually happen.  I sincerely appreciate the efforts of all those involved.

In either case, I'm thinking that small group coordination can be handled via the messaging function given the thread like interface and the ability to embed links and graphics.  Folks would just have to agree on the means of verification (i.e. maybe the receipt function).

I've been on the fence about whether or not I want to put up a 'hiring'/'wanted' thread up to find myself a spotter.  If I wanted to put together a theoretical five-man (including myself), 'heavy weapons' squad I would create a post with something like the following:

Topic: Recruiting for Heavy Weapons Squad

Wanted: four individuals that want to lay down serious amounts of paint

Necessary Skills (radio usage, map reading, etc)

Necessary Equipment (If they need to bring specific equipment like rocket launchers, radios, pinokkio hoppe)

Providing: anything you will be providing, (i.e.  radios, waterproof maps, Cooler, etc)

Once you've got the volunteers, work on verification then, start up a message thread.

#19 Sean Scott

Sean Scott

Director of Awesomeness for Living Legends

• Professional Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

The reporting section is not quite 100% from our new registration system. Few weeks out and then I can supply names and teams if people put them in. 

Sean Scott

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
www.cpxsports.com

#20 Adventure Guide

Adventure Guide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

The small squads idea sounds like a blast.

#21 BrownChickenBrownCow

BrownChickenBrownCow

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

Sorry to bring up a dead post, but did the secret forums ever happen? How do we get access?

#22 TechPB-Mike

TechPB-Mike

TechPB to the FRONT!!!

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

With me generaling the game, there was no way that I could plan and prepare to general, AND run a secret forum as well.

We tried it in the past, and it was just a nightmare of work to pull off. We stopped doing the secret forums when CPX starting splitting up the TechPB squads to keep the game balanced. LL5 & LL6 we were split up

With what I have planned for LL7, secret forums are not needed anymore. All the information from the previous secret forums was all made public, it's all right here in this forum. You can read all the planning and all the details from years past. 

#23 BrownChickenBrownCow

BrownChickenBrownCow

Sophomore Member

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Understandable. I'm already registered for the New Empire and can't wait to see what you have planned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users