79 replies to this topic

#1 Justin B.

Justin B.

One Nation D5 EPL Paintball 2014!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Now before you say, "Why do you want a new barrel? The length and type doesn't matter!", that is not why I am making this thread :P. I want to know what the best barrel is based on just honing and other factors because I already understand that length and size don't affect accuracy. So, I am asking about a new barrel or kit because currently I am using a 16" CP 2 piece barrel and I hate it just because its a little long for my taste and I want a 14" barrel. So, I have heard a lot of people at my field like the freak barrel kits and I want to know if I should get one because I am going to be playing tournaments in the 2014 season and I am likely to encounter varying paint sizes. Although I know the only thing underboring really does, is get you slightly better efficiency. So my question is:

Should I get a Freak barrel kit or is there a better barrel kit or barrel out there?

(I don't care about price right now so anything goes recommendation wise)

Edited by Justin B., 01 December 2013 - 03:01 PM.

One Nation

My Feedback: http://www.techpb.co...howtopic=210995

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#2 Lyxtwing

Lyxtwing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Get another CP two piece with a shorter front and a different bored back.  You now have a kit.

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

PM8 I Alias I Marq 6 I A4 Fly I E1 I eNMey I Hammer 7

#3 bassfisher

bassfisher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I would get a 14" tip for your cp, the only people who really need a whole kit are pumpers.
Carolina Riot Scenario Team

#4 fumbimo

fumbimo

TechPB's Official Unicorn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

I would get a 14" tip for your cp, the only people who really need a whole kit are people who use closed bolt markers

FIFY

but yes i agree with buying more for your cp barrel, get a new front and a few backs if you feel the need for it. other then that if you want a full kit i would get a freak kits, my favourite freak barrel out there right now is the deadly wind fibur. i would pick up one of those and a freak insert kit.

58pk.jpg

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

#5 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

OK my only problem with a new CP front is that I don't like the very tip where it is wavy. Also, my barrel back is kinda old because the previous owner just gave me a random barrel and the black anodizing doesn't quite match the front. So is it still worth it to get a whole new CP barrel or should I look into a freak kit or something else?

One Nation

"CP anything should immediately reduce the value to zero, its painful to see nice guns with CP regs."

- Cookybiscuit

#6 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Also, does anyone recommend the Dye ultralight?

http://www.ansgear.c...alitedblack.htm

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#7 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

buy a used freak kit because that is what you are set on doing anyway 

And the UL is a waste of money. 

#8 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

What do you mean? I'm not set on doing that. I honestly want to know what he way to go is.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#9 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Used freak kit with your choice of barrel.

I love the luxe back and the spiral front.

#10 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I love the luxe back and the spiral front.

Ok now I get what your saying. ANS Gear doesn't seem to offer the Luxe back or spiral front unless you mean the All American front. Is there another site that offers more freak backs and fronts?

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#11 III Kezia III

III Kezia III

Lulzjustbeingacat :D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

get a deadly wind 14 inch fibur x. If you wanna spend the monies and look fancy shmancy and stuff. Or take your CP barrel, get a shorter tip and get it freak bored. 

Lulzjustacat.png

#12 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

get a deadly wind 14 inch fibur x. If you wanna spend the monies and look fancy shmancy and stuff. Or take your CP barrel, get a shorter tip and get it freak bored. 

LOL with how beat up my CP barrel is, I don't think I would even entertain the idea of Freak boring it :P

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#13 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

catch my drift?

#14 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

catch my drift?

Oh so I guess I read that wrong. I thought you meant that I should get a whole freak kit including the freak barrel itself. Now I see your saying I should freak bore a barrel that I get.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#15 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

200lb of unpredictable coming to hunt ya ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

In my opinion the freak system is not the best. Even the stainless inserts are meh at best.

I run the freak barrel for show, but performance wise the sniper barrel kit gets the go. Who knows I maybe running the Stella barrel kit soon over both
gnUDL.png
See my about me for useful things like feedback!

#16 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

In my opinion the freak system is not the best. Even the stainless inserts are meh at best.

I run the freak barrel for show, but performance wise the sniper barrel kit gets the go. Who knows I maybe running the Stella barrel kit soon over both

Thanks for the input.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#17 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

...Disruptive Deathtouch Barrel.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#18 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

...Disruptive Deathtouch Barrel.

Probably not but I'll take a look.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#19 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

If you're playing semi tournaments, adding a barrel kit just gives you more stuff to lug around/get stolen/lose and more variables to think about, without adding any performance value. You could spend $200 on a Super Freak kit, $110 on a Dye Ultralite, or $30 on a CP one-piece, and your setup will perform exactly the same. Pick a barrel that looks nice to you at a price you can afford.

#20 Smoothieblit

Smoothieblit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

I love freaks for the fact that they are very well made and the bores are cheap as hell and compatible with all backs.

Empire sniper kits and shift kits are quite good if you don't mind spending extra $$$$ for inserts.

Also look into a lurker barrel. Never used one and cant give you input but I heard they are superior barrels

e bay Feedback here
Currently at 187 feedback on eBay, all are positive!

#21 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

If you're playing semi tournaments, adding a barrel kit just gives you more stuff to lug around/get stolen/lose and more variables to think about, without adding any performance value. You could spend $200 on a Super Freak kit, $110 on a Dye Ultralite, or $30 on a CP one-piece, and your setup will perform exactly the same. Pick a barrel that looks nice to you at a price you can afford.

What do you mean semi tournaments? If you are referring to rate of fire, we will be shooting 12.5 PSP.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#22 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

Real men shoot CF Boomsticks...........

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#23 Old Dude PB

Old Dude PB

Safety third.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

What do you mean semi tournaments? If you are referring to rate of fire, we will be shooting 12.5 PSP.

I mean semi as opposed to pump, and tournaments as opposed to anywhere that you can't easily fill up your tank between points. If you don't have to worry about rollouts, and you don't have to worry about efficiency, then you don't need to underbore, and you don't need a barrel kit. There's no other practical reason to own one. Having said that, I understand gear lust, and I suffer from it from time to time, so while you don't need a barrel kit, you might still want one. I'd get a Deadlywind Fibur X, because they're light and they look cool, and if you ever see the error of your battery-powered ways, it will go great on your pump. ;)

#24 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Get another CP two piece with a shorter front and a different bored back.  You now have a kit.

I agree with this. If your current one is very beat up, well then perhaps you may not want to. Apparently you don't like how the CP ones look anyways...which I honestly feel is an okay reason to want to move on as well.

I have owned the freak system since 2002. I still love it.

Another route you could go is to buy 2 lurker barrels, .684 and .678. Those and your beat up old CP (probably 689 or bigger, you didn't specify) should cover you well. No inserts to fool with. There are many valid choices to make. Just pick one that makes sense financially. Dye would be a poor choice.

#25 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Freak is good for different types of paint use, If you know the correct bore size that matches your paint and you want to upgrade don't get the kit just get the barrel individually. but if you already know your paint bore size I don't see the point of a kit but if I were to get a kit I would go with the Empire super freak barrel kit if money is not a problem. Comes with a carbon fiber barrel, an apex and another i don't know the name of and 5 barrel inserts. if money is a problem get the regular freak barrel kit.

(if you don't know your paint's bore size get a ball to barrel sizer it will save you a lot of money)

Edited by ThePBnewbie, 01 December 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#26 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm just going to leave this here.....

please stop giving advice pbnewbie

I hate to be "that guy" in saying this, perhaps you should refrain from giving advice to others if you didn't know this...

Edited by kingJurzy, 01 December 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#27 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Are you being for real pbnewbie?

Empire totally dropped the ball on the super freak kit. Compare the honing from the SP/GoG freak kits Against the empire ones, there is a difference... even the stainless SP/GoG inserts aren't all that. The carbon fiber tips as my friend and I discovered are not swabbale (unlike the DW, Deadly Winds plug lol) to top that crappy internal finish.

Personally I'd steer clear of the super freaks, if one was to consider going to a freak system a freak bored barrel (including DW fiburs) and SS inserts would be the best way to go.

Its now I'm starting to realize how fine these freak threading is and how easy they can be messed up

Like I said earlier I like the Resurrection and sniper barrel kits, but its a barrel designed 4 years ago. Better barrel systems are out there, and personally I can't wait for inception designs barrels I may need to ditch the freak kit and sniper barrel then

And yes I do own a freak kit, put on one of better looking axes out there, but like I said earlier the freak kit is for show/color matching

Edited by get.lit.up!, 01 December 2013 - 07:30 PM.

gnUDL.png

#28 ThePBnewbie

ThePBnewbie

Homework kills trees!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

I am giving advice off of what people have told me....

#29 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Oh god look at what this thread has turned into........

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#30 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

But have you actually owned? That's really a determining factor. I mean I own both so I can have a valued opinion of the freak barrel situation. I can also tell you that the empire honing of the freak kit is shit (coming from an empire fanboy). I can also say that the freak system has a major flaw, that being the super fine threads that is easy to cross thread

I'm going to leave it with this
G4WyNi6.jpgvqk8bqz.jpg

Edited by get.lit.up!, 01 December 2013 - 07:38 PM.

gnUDL.png

#31 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Buy a .684 CF Boomstick.......

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

#32 Smoothieblit

Smoothieblit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

To look sexy, or to look rich?

Boom sticks are not a good idea. Yes they are lighter but the bores are going to cost you MINIMUM (like a great deal that you just scored on) of 50 dollars, but 75 normally for just the back.

Boom sticks are a waste, expensive and not all that great. You can get much better barrels than boomsticks especially for the price. So I can tell you to steer clear of that.

e bay Feedback here
Currently at 187 feedback on eBay, all are positive!

#33 The Knife Crazy

The Knife Crazy

Spray and Pray Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Ok, I have a a freak kit, no SS or anything, but I've very good luck with it.  It was actually bought for the increase in efficiency and also to match anno, but honestly it made the axe barrel 14", as well as made it quieter.  I understand the issues with cross threading and honing but overall for the money i think it's the best way to go. REMEMBER:  That's MY opinion.

If You're Not in the Front, You're Doing it Wrong

Current Setup:
Empire Axe in Gun Metal Grey with Matching Freak Barrel Kit
Dye Rotor
Ninja 50/4500

#34 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

To look sexy, or to look rich?

Boom sticks are not a good idea. Yes they are lighter but the bores are going to cost you MINIMUM (like a great deal that you just scored on) of 50 dollars, but 75 normally for just the back.

Boom sticks are a waste, expensive and not all that great. You can get much better barrels than boomsticks especially for the price. So I can tell you to steer clear of that.

Because why the hell not! This is paintball nobody cares about anything but aesthetics man. Looking good is %90 of the game you might play like dogshit and be a shit human being but hell if you look the part all the kids think you are pro. 

True Story lol. 

#35 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Lol bigx, a buddy of mine when he got his grumpy cat geo3 immediately went out and got a matching tip to put with the cf boomstick back.

Dem pipefitters and their cash lol

Edited by get.lit.up!, 01 December 2013 - 09:40 PM.

gnUDL.png

#36 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Well I think I like the freak kit and that is probably what I will get unless I decide to go with another CP.

Thanks guys!

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#37 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

• Members
  • 9,068 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Yes and that is why you said this in your topic that you started today.

Upgrading barrels I want to find out which is better before I buy anything else.

PBNewbie I am not targeting you nor do I hate you but I want you to understand that whatever you post stays here on TechPB the whole damn internet. You barley have the experience to talk about certain experiences or at least give advice if all you are basing it off of is "he said she said". It's like if someone asks you what type of knife to buy a Kershaw Cryo 2 or a Hinderer XM-18 for the same price new but you tell the guy to get the Kershaw because of it's edge from the factory, it just does not work. 

Edited by kingJurzy, 01 December 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#38 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:57 PM

Advice is from experience, not hearsay.

the freak system has a major flaw, that being the super fine threads that is easy to cross thread

I don't know what anybody is talking about with this cross threading issue. I can honestly say that I have never had this happen. Maybe it is easier to do on the new empire ones?? I own only SP/GoG, and have for some time.

sydfreak_zps193efbe6.jpg

#39 The Recballer

The Recballer

South Florida Shockers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

Real men shoot CF Boomsticks...........

Dye fanboy approves

I have a CF Boomstick on my DM. Couldn't be happier. Looks good, light, shoots great.

Chelsea Football Club - St.Louis Rams - Tampa Bay Rays - Florida Panthers - Miami Heat

Tampa Bay Damage - Los Angeles Ironmen

South Florida Shockers #16

#40 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:02 AM

Advice is from experience, not hearsay.

the freak system has a major flaw, that being the super fine threads that is easy to cross thread

I don't know what anybody is talking about with this cross threading issue. I can honestly say that I have never had this happen. Maybe it is easier to do on the new empire ones?? I own only SP/GoG, and have for some time.
sydfreak_zps193efbe6.jpg
Totally agree, no cross threading to be found with my SP Freak barrel.

#41 get.lit.up!

get.lit.up!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

I've been so paranoid with mine it hasn't happened...yet

But do I feel it could happen easier than say other barrel kits? for sure!
gnUDL.png

#42 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Lol bigx, a buddy of mine when he got his grumpy cat geo3 immediately went out and got a matching tip to put with the cf boomstick back.

Dem pipefitters and their cash lol

Im 19 and help little old ladies for a living. I could go out right now and blow obscene amounts of money on gear but I refrain myself from doing so. I shoot the stock .685 BL Barrel on my G6r and soon to be Victory. I never really ever noticed a difference when it came to accuracy. I will however most likely buy something in a dust black simply to best preserve the stock barrel on my G6R. 

#43 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks again everyone!

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#44 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Thanks again everyone!

JB one barrel is something like a .685 or a .680 would suit you nicely. Kits are overrated imo 

#45 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Thanks again everyone!

JB one barrel is something like a .685 or a .680 would suit you nicely. Kits are overrated imo 

OK, I'm thinking about getting a whole new CP 2 piece or just a regular barrel actually. Also, I noticed a small little dent on the inside of my barrel back on my current CP. Would that be affecting accuracy even though its in the barrel back?

I ask this because I used to shoot pretty ball on ball but now I have been playing in the cold and sometimes I shoot, my barrel nearly freezes, and then right after I clean it in hot water. Could this have caused the dent therefor affecting my accuracy?

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#46 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks again everyone!

OK, I'm thinking about getting a whole new CP 2 piece or just a regular barrel actually. Also, I noticed a small little dent on the inside of my barrel back on my current CP. Would that be affecting accuracy even though its in the barrel back?

I ask this because I used to shoot pretty ball on ball but now I have been playing in the cold and sometimes I shoot, my barrel nearly freezes, and then right after I clean it in hot water. Could this have caused the dent therefor affecting my accuracy?
No it couldn't have.

I recommend getting a .684 Lurker or .686 Disruptive barrel. You'll be able to shoot basically any paint with either and they're both excellent.

#47 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Thanks again everyone!

No it couldn't have.

I recommend getting a .684 Lurker or .686 Disruptive barrel. You'll be able to shoot basically any paint with either and they're both excellent.

Ok cool! Do you think the dent is affecting my accuracy though?

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#48 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Couldn't say without a picture.

#49 Justin B.

Justin B.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

Couldn't say without a picture.

It would be so hard to get a picture. It almost looks like its not even a dent though. It sort of looks like the opposite of a dent and it sticks out.

One Nation

- Cookybiscuit

#50 bigx

bigx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

JB You cant quote yourself in your signature its like kissing your sister man. 

PS Its highly unlikely that a change in temperature like that could warp aluminum. You did not take a blowtorch to it or anything. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users