Photo

What is this scarab arms laser aiming device?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:16 AM

There is a product on the Scarab Arms website that appears to be a laser range finder, for only $58 USD. Now those are usually quite expensive, upwards of 200 dollars. There isn't any description for it other than listing the features and specs. Anyone know if it works and how well it works?

http://www.scarabarm...s.php?pro_id=41

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#2 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,110 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

It says "laser aiming device," and lists modes of laser, flashlight, and laser + flashlight. I'm gonna bet it's just a laser pointer and a flashlight in one module, not a rangefinder.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#3 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

Looks bulky and uses some CR123 batteries (are these like the old Camera batteries? wtf?). And to further not answer your question, this is the last thing that I would ever want on my paintball marker.

#4 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

It says that it is an AN/PEQ-15, which is a mil-spec laser sight. Since they are mil-spec, they go for several grand. Obviously this isn't anything to do with that. What Andrew said is probably right, just a flashlight and a laser pointer in a bulky and inconvenient case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/PEQ-2

It's too bad though, it got my hopes up for awhile.

Edited by Scum, 07 December 2013 - 02:17 AM.

Are you butthurt? Rumproasted? Asscinerated? Tushie tattered? Booty bombed? Colon Crucified? Posteriorpwned?

#5 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • 22,110 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

Yeah, plus a rangefinder wouldn't let you adjust the aimpoint of the laser, and it would need a big receiving lens.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT • 09 Impulse • HB REV-i • Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor • Grillz • PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#6 PREDATOR 47

PREDATOR 47

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

It's a replica, probably just a laser pointer in a fancy shell.

#7 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

Correct me if im wrong but I do believe the reason why the actual milspec peq boxes are because they emit an infra red light to be used for laser targeting munitions dropped from aircraft as well as a standard laser sight. 

Edited by bigx, 08 December 2013 - 01:36 AM.

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#8 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Correct me if im wrong but I do believe the reason why the actual milspec peq boxes are because they emit an infra red light to be used for laser targeting munitions dropped from aircraft as well as a standard laser sight. 

Wikipedia says nothing about that, but who knows. All Wikipedia says is that it's a laser sight with infrared capabilities so that the beams can only be seen through night vision goggles.

#9 bigx

bigx

Good? Bad? Im the guy with the gun.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Because Wikipedia knows everything?

"I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You tell the angels in heaven you never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you."

http://www.techpb.co...1 :Feedback 17/0/

#10 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

I said "but who knows". No need for sarcasm.

#11 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,919 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

They are also quite expensive because 1. The government pays for it, and if you can sell it retail for several hundred, or sell it to the government for a grand, why not do it, if you're still the lowest bidder. 2. It's milspec, therefore it has to work, and it has to work in conditions no normal citizen would ever use it in. That means it has to be built to much stricter specifications and it has to be built with better quality parts.

Scarab Arms doesn't have to do either one of those, all they care about is building it cheap enough that people will buy it. It doesn't have to always work, it doesn't have to work in extreme conditions, it doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't have to be built out of durable materials. They build it cheap, and to work most of the time.

#12 TK-421

TK-421

Me So Horny! :D

• 25,919 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

Wikipedia knows way more than most people give it credit for. Yes, anybody can go in there and change it back. However, there are far more people who would change it back, than would keep changing it to junk. Plus the fact that most pages list a variety of sources at the end, so if you don't believe what the wikipedia article says, then you can double check the sources.

Is wikipedia right 100% of the time? No. Are they right the majority of the time? Yes. Are they a great resource for finding sources? Yes. Are they underestimated? Yes, Wikipedia is a wealth of information that is vastly underestimated.

Go check out 10 random pages on Wikipedia and fact check them, I bet you that they'll be at least 95% correct, if not 100% correct. While the vast majority of people are trying to lead us to believe that Wikipedia is right around 50% of the time, if not even less.

Besides, like I said, they give you lots of sources at the bottom, so you can check where the information came from. If random people start posting crap, the crap gets removed and replaced with proper information. Even though many people would have you believe the crap becomes permanent.

#13 canscom

canscom

Lest we forget the soldiers. who saved our country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Or aiming while wearing NODs

Stop worrying about how you look, and start worrying about how you play. Get out on the field and play paintball the best you can, not stand at home in front of a mirror trying to figure out if your jersey matches your eyes.

#14 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Wikipedia knows way more than most people give it credit for. Yes, anybody can go in there and change it back. However, there are far more people who would change it back, than would keep changing it to junk. Plus the fact that most pages list a variety of sources at the end, so if you don't believe what the wikipedia article says, then you can double check the sources.

Is wikipedia right 100% of the time? No. Are they right the majority of the time? Yes. Are they a great resource for finding sources? Yes. Are they underestimated? Yes, Wikipedia is a wealth of information that is vastly underestimated.

Go check out 10 random pages on Wikipedia and fact check them, I bet you that they'll be at least 95% correct, if not 100% correct. While the vast majority of people are trying to lead us to believe that Wikipedia is right around 50% of the time, if not even less.

Besides, like I said, they give you lots of sources at the bottom, so you can check where the information came from. If random people start posting crap, the crap gets removed and replaced with proper information. Even though many people would have you believe the crap becomes permanent.

Too many people think that everyone can just go fill a page with crap and that'll stick. I was a contributing member of Wikipedia for awhile and I can tell you first hand how quickly mistakes and vandalism are corrected.

Edited by Scum, 09 December 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#15 Scum

Scum

TechPB's Official Llama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

They are also quite expensive because 1. The government pays for it, and if you can sell it retail for several hundred, or sell it to the government for a grand, why not do it, if you're still the lowest bidder. 2. It's milspec, therefore it has to work, and it has to work in conditions no normal citizen would ever use it in. That means it has to be built to much stricter specifications and it has to be built with better quality parts.

Scarab Arms doesn't have to do either one of those, all they care about is building it cheap enough that people will buy it. It doesn't have to always work, it doesn't have to work in extreme conditions, it doesn't have to be fancy, it doesn't have to be built out of durable materials. They build it cheap, and to work most of the time.

Still though, 58 bucks is pretty cheap. A normal laser pointer made for paintball can be 60 bucks or higher. If this had legitimate infrared lasers, it would be much more expensive.

EDIT: Just looked on Milsig.ca, and they have a million of these dummy AN/PEQs for around the same price. Pretty sure they're just a laser pointer and a flashlight in a box.

Edited by Scum, 09 December 2013 - 08:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users