19 replies to this topic

#1 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hello all,

Always wanted to get into PB and finally went with a coworker to SC village in SD and loved it and started to buy equipment and now down to last items which are Marker and Tank. Work is giving a nice bonus but want to spend around $500 for both items, marker I would take used or new. With tank I have an idea of the Ninja 68/4500, but only want to buy new as I don't know much about hydro yet. Now I've played with a really old gun a coworker lent me and it was a poppet valve I believe and fell in love but was too outdated. He currently had a spool valve and loved it too but didn't like the maintenance behind it. I would prefer a poppet to begin with and eventually will upgrade to an axe once i get better at the sport and play on a regular basis.

Below is what I currently have but will take recommendations for an upgrade.

Mask - E-Flex

Jersey - Empire 

Pants - Valken

Cleats - Nike (from playing softball)

Harness - Empire 4 pod (with 4 pods only)

Hopper - Pinokio (Just ordered) with HK speed feed

Caddy - GXG Hauler

Protectors - Will be buying these depending on field near my house. Location is Hollywood Sports in Cali, looks to be scenario gameplay but don't                       see speedball field. 

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#2 Killer Enraged

Killer Enraged

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

I would suggest getting a used tank and a new or used gun.  You can save some money on the tank and put the rest towards a better marker.  Tanks have a life span of 10 or 15 years depending on the tank.  They need to be tested (hydro'd) every 3 to 5 years to ensure safety.  For example, the tank i have for sale has a life span of 15 years and needs to be hydro'd every 5.  It was built/born on 06/07 which means it is good until 06/22.  But since this tank has to be tested every 5 years it meant it had to be tested on 06/12.  I got it done on 07/12 and it won't have to be retested until 07/17.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 12 December 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Feedback
3|0|0

#3 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:41 AM

I would buy used as well, since you have a buddy who plays he could probably help you out. I'd buy a used axe ($250-300) and a used take that has 3+ years on the hydro (Around $70-100 depending on the tank, and I'd get a 68/45). Everything else you have is stellar bro! The reason why i say axe is because it is by far the best bang for your buck. Quiet, smooth, and very easy to maintain. Other markers dont really compare in that price range.

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#4 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

I would suggest getting a used tank and a new or used gun.  You can save some money on the tank and put the rest towards a better marker.  Tanks have a life span of 10 or 15 years depending on the tank.  They need to be tested (hydro'd) every 3 to 5 years to ensure safety.  For example, the tank i have for sale has a life span of 15 years and needs to be hydro'd every 5.  It was built/born on 06/07 which means it is good until 06/22.  But since this tank has to be tested every 5 years it meant it had to be tested on 06/12.  I got it done on 07/12 and it won't have to be retested until 07/17.

Ya looking into used markers but wanted to see a good variety, if not i'll stick to an axe.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 12 December 2013 - 10:43 PM.

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#5 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

I would buy used as well, since you have a buddy who plays he could probably help you out. I'd buy a used axe ($250-300) and a used take that has 3+ years on the hydro (Around $70-100 depending on the tank, and I'd get a 68/45). Everything else you have is stellar bro! The reason why i say axe is because it is by far the best bang for your buck. Quiet, smooth, and very easy to maintain. Other markers dont really compare in that price range.

I would take advice from him but he said look into autococker, I seen techpb's youtube on that resurrection but it looks a little to high maintenance for me atm. Also I have another coworker who said the same about the autococker that it probably will be too advance since im just starting off. He recommended the etek 3, but for some reason I keep reading and loving the axe. How does an axe with freak kit sound for 350? If this is a legit price I will sure drop that first thing my bonus comes in =D

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#6 Talucci

Talucci

Canadian Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Etek 3 LT used would be a great beginner gun for you. The Empire Axe is another great option (both used). As for your choice of equipment, I find nothing wrong with it however I would suggest you try on the valken pants and sizing prior to ordering. I'm a fan of JT and Empire pants and I believe they are still both for sale on ANS. If you can find a tank slightly used on a bst or craigslist then that'll save you a good amount of money as well. Best of luck

#7 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:48 AM

Etek 3 LT used would be a great beginner gun for you. The Empire Axe is another great option (both used). As for your choice of equipment, I find nothing wrong with it however I would suggest you try on the valken pants and sizing prior to ordering. I'm a fan of JT and Empire pants and I believe they are still both for sale on ANS. If you can find a tank slightly used on a bst or craigslist then that'll save you a good amount of money as well. Best of luck

I was also looking into the etek but currently have my eyes set on the axe. Also the pants I bought when I first went paintballing and they fit, which was about 3 or so months ago. Still looking for a tank but will look up on bst since I read that's also popular.

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#8 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

Don't skimp on your tank. If you find a good used tank, in hydro and at least 1/2 of it's life left, go for it. However, if you find a tank nearing the end of it's life and on it's last hydro, don't do it. No tank with 3 years of life left before it's no longer deemed safe is worth the hassel. Markers can wait until you have the essentials all wrapped up. Mask, loader and tank.

#9 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

I was also looking into the etek but currently have my eyes set on the axe. Also the pants I bought when I first went paintballing and they fit, which was about 3 or so months ago. Still looking for a tank but will look up on bst since I read that's also popular.

I've owned an Etek 3 and I liked it at first... until I bought an Axe. The etek is just extremely loud and not smooth at all. The ergonomics of the Axe arent bad at all, as a matter of fact I loved it. if you tune yours properly (which is easy) it shoots amazing for the price. I wouldn't get an autococker, especially since you are relatively new and dont know much about them (timing, ect.) For $350 an axe + full freak kit is a good price. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#10 Talucci

Talucci

Canadian Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

I suggested the Etek because as the OP said he favours poppet markers. The Etek is a very reliable, easy to maintain, and backed with great customer service. The Axe is the overall better shooter which is why I also said to consider it as well. The Axe does require a little bit more knowledge and familiarity of how markers operate than the Etek.

Edit: I know the Axe is an inline poppet, I meant the eteks stack tube poppet design is easier to understand as a new player.

Edited by Talucci, 11 December 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#11 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Don't skimp on your tank. If you find a good used tank, in hydro and at least 1/2 of it's life left, go for it. However, if you find a tank nearing the end of it's life and on it's last hydro, don't do it. No tank with 3 years of life left before it's no longer deemed safe is worth the hassel. Markers can wait until you have the essentials all wrapped up. Mask, loader and tank.

Like I had said I'm getting a bonus within the next 15 hrs or so, I'm buying the tank and gun. But not sure if I should go with a used tank or a new tank.

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#12 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

I've owned an Etek 3 and I liked it at first... until I bought an Axe. The etek is just extremely loud and not smooth at all. The ergonomics of the Axe arent bad at all, as a matter of fact I loved it. if you tune yours properly (which is easy) it shoots amazing for the price. I wouldn't get an autococker, especially since you are relatively new and dont know much about them (timing, ect.) For $350 an axe + full freak kit is a good price. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Ya I'll hold off on a complicated marker. Now that you said that's a good deal I actually got the whole thing for 320 Woot. Now I'm on the hunt for a tank but still debating if new or used.

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#13 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I suggested the Etek because as the OP said he favours poppet markers. The Etek is a very reliable, easy to maintain, and backed with great customer service. The Axe is the overall better shooter which is why I also said to consider it as well. The Axe does require a little bit more knowledge and familiarity of how markers operate than the Etek.

Edit: I know the Axe is an inline poppet, I meant the eteks stack tube poppet design is easier to understand as a new player.

I got an axe with smart parts freak kit for 320. I still hear a lot of the etek, possibly down the line I would buy as a back up. Good choice in your opinion?

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#14 FacePainter

FacePainter

Blue Drank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:53 PM

Eh, you don't really need a backup at this point. Eventually when you want something higher quality just buy something else and use your axe as a backup.

I would only get the etek over the axe if you don't like the axes ergonomics, they both shoot really smooth, but the etek is a little easier to clean, and the axe is quieter.

Edited by FacePainter, 11 December 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#15 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Eh, you don't really need a backup at this point. Eventually when you want something higher quality just buy something else and use your axe as a backup.

I would only get the etek over the axe if you don't like the axes ergonomics, they both shoot really smooth, but the etek is a little easier to clean, and the axe is quieter.

I can't agree with the etek shooting smooth part, the thing is a jackhammer but I agree with the rest of your post. I suggest going to your local field and asking to shoot the etek… you will gladly hand it back to whoever owns it and stick with your axe. ;)

#16 Talucci

Talucci

Canadian Baller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

I agree that you should upgrade your gun down the line and use the Axe as a backup. The Etek is not as smooth and definitely louder... Buy the axe, shoot 100+ cases through it and have a blast. The fun starts on the field for me.

#17 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

Ya I agree after I had posted, I was pretty much sleep typing since I work grave shift

I can't agree with the etek shooting smooth part, the thing is a jackhammer but I agree with the rest of your post. I suggest going to your local field and asking to shoot the etek… you will gladly hand it back to whoever owns it and stick with your axe. ;)

My field has an event in a few hours today, planning on going to the field and use their equipment as Marker/tank are out for shipment. Then once I get my axe i'll determine the difference

I agree that you should upgrade your gun down the line and use the Axe as a backup. The Etek is not as smooth and definitely louder... Buy the axe, shoot 100+ cases through it and have a blast. The fun starts on the field for me.

Ya I was thinking low budgeting, but thy then I could save up for a decent better gun. Axe is on order and waiting for tracking, then I will go broke with paint and can't wait!!!

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#18 andrewthewookie

andrewthewookie

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks :(

• Chat Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,066 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Killer Enraged and pbbrybry, you are not to do any sort of BST in this thread or through PMs. I have edited posts so others don't get the same idea. If you wish to sell or purchase a tank on TechPB, you must either post a proper thread in the BST that follows the rules if you are selling, or post in an existing BST thread if you are buying. If either of you are PMing back and forth, it must stop now and continue in a thread posted by whoever has the tank.

Both of you need to read the TechPB rules.

Edited by andrewthewookie, 12 December 2013 - 10:49 PM.

RebelSignaturejedicode-1.jpg
Hybrid SFT 09 Impulse HB REV-i Macroless Mech Ion
Rotor Grillz PE 70/45 Feedback - 23/0/0

#19 pbbrybry

pbbrybry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Killer Enraged and pbbrybry, you are not to do any sort of BST in this thread or through PMs. I have edited posts so others don't get the same idea. If you wish to sell or purchase a tank on TechPB, you must either post a proper thread in the BST that follows the rules if you are selling, or post in an existing BST thread if you are buying. If either of you are PMing back and forth, it must stop now and continue in a thread posted by whoever has the tank.

Hello Andrewthewookie,

The BST moderator sent me a PM about the rules for proper BST. As I was still new to this forum and paintball I was not aware of this type of thread. Once I read rules and regulations I headed to original bst thread and posted transaction as best I could.
http://www.techpb.co...84500-in-hydro/

FEEDBACK!

2 | 0 | 0

#20 Killer Enraged

Killer Enraged

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

As I mentioned in our pm, I said to check out my thread.  pbbrybry had several questions that not only concered my tank, but other questions about paintball and tanks in general.  I appologize for the inconveince and misunderstanding.  It was handled through private messaging AND on my thread that I had posted, before posting there. I appreciate your concern and job as a moderator. Thanks and have a good day.

Edited by Killer Enraged, 13 December 2013 - 04:51 PM.

Feedback
3|0|0

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, marker, tank, help, new, used, advice, scenario, speedball

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users