Photo

Good budget barrel for a tippman gryphon?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Daz

Daz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

Just started with pb and the gryphon was a really nice budget marker, however, I'd really like to get a good 14" budget barrel for around R300-R400 ($30-$40) but I have no clue where to begin since theres so many barrels on the market :/. Is it even worth getting a barrel? Would it improve accuracy by a fair amount? #universitymoneywoes

#2 Wolfe

Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Honestly, you're better off saving your money for paint and field fees than buying a new barrel for the Gryphon. It's a fine marker for beginners and as a backup mech, but not worth upgrading.

A new barrel won't improve accuracy. As many will post here, only paint quality will effect accuracy.

#3 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have heard that a longer barrel makes it easier to aim, is this true?

...um...I have another stupid question...

#4 Ultimatefinn

Ultimatefinn

Eric Jr.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

I have heard that a longer barrel makes it easier to aim, is this true?

For most, yes. I can personally point much better with a 14" than a 10"
This is exactly what marketing guns has come down too. a dick waving contest. You can say all the stuff you want but until you whip it out wave it around and prove it to the world everyone will doubt you. -bigx

#5 Orange Chicken

Orange Chicken

TechPB's Most Annoying member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

But it really depends. I'm am completely content with aiming with my the stock 8 inch barrel on the eNMEy. It's actually a bit fun, having more space behind the bunker. However, it is nice not to look like a scrub with such a short barrel, and it just makes the gun look much  nicer.

OrangeChicken_zpsbeae94b0.jpg?t=13691803

#6 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

I wouldn't spend a single dollar "upgrading" the experience of playing with a Gryphon.

#7 amz

amz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Just started with pb and the gryphon was a really nice budget marker, however, I'd really like to get a good 14" budget barrel for around R300-R400 ($30-$40) but I have no clue where to begin since theres so many barrels on the market :/. Is it even worth getting a barrel? Would it improve accuracy by a fair amount? #universitymoneywoes

Any barrel in the $30 to $40 range is unlikely to get you a noticeable improvement in performance. If you're just beginning focus on improving your skills. It doesn't matter what marker you have or upgrades you put into your marker, until you develop your skills you won't notice a significant difference.

If your just dead set on getting a new barrel look at the JJ Ceramic barrels. They are available with A5 threads and I think are around $50.

#8 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

even then that is the whole cost of a Tippmann Gryphon and in which you should have saved up and bought a better marker.

#9 Brook

Brook

Old n00b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

even then that is the whole cost of a Tippmann Gryphon and in which you should have saved up and bought a better marker.

(Not a terribly helpful comment to the OP; I assume you are scolding him as a lesson to others.)

...um...I have another stupid question...

#10 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

He might not have a big selection to choose from/ Might not play often enough to justify an expensive marker. There are plenty of people with $50 Spyders playing out there. , R300-400, South Africa? The only other guns I'v heard of in that part of the world are Armison Semi's.

I don't know jack about the Gryphon except that a local customer has one and it runs well enough.

What?! I'm all out of powdered toast?!

#11 kingJurzy

kingJurzy

OFFICIAL TechPB's best member 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,054 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

My point is why would you upgrade a marker with upgrades that cost the same as the marker itself? i am well aware of people not being in the same economical situations as I nor did I say that the Gryphon was a bad marker. I answered the OP and was staying true to the topic.

#12 Sydarm

Sydarm

XTC + Ninja + Pinokio

• TechPB Players Club
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

I answered the OP and was staying true to the topic.

I agree; you did. The OP should invest in a better gun next, assuming he has a decent mask, loader, tank (not a given). Any extra cash put towards a Gryphon is unfortunately wasted. A Gryphon is a stopgap to a real setup, at best.

Edited by Sydarm, 18 December 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#13 bowmasta

bowmasta

Sophomore Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

My point is why would you upgrade a marker with upgrades that cost the same as the marker itself? i am well aware of people not being in the same economical situations as I nor did I say that the Gryphon was a bad marker. I answered the OP and was staying true to the topic.

Z frames cost more than some complete Mags but people eat them up no problem, same with X/Rt Valves. One day you'll find a marker you like enough to get one of these expensive upgrades for. Mine is my PMi-1, I have almost everything you could have for it, even one off's I've had made for it. People do it with cars all the time.

Op; if you want to get a barrel get one, You say you're in University, so you probably won't be playing much - Its kind of stupid to get a new marker when you've only just begun. Play with what you've got for a while and if you feel like you're having a bad time because of your equipment then look into upgrading. There are plenty of people playing with $50 Spyders and mowing faces out there.

I had a Rap4 Recon barrel on my A5 years ago and liked it, the rifling probably didn't do anything but I got it on sale. It was a noticeable upgrade to the stock barrel.

What?! I'm all out of powdered toast?!

#14 Al3xIP

Al3xIP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:06 AM

Any barrel in the $30 to $40 range is unlikely to get you a noticeable improvement in performance. If you're just beginning focus on improving your skills. It doesn't matter what marker you have or upgrades you put into your marker, until you develop your skills you won't notice a significant difference.
If your just dead set on getting a new barrel look at the JJ Ceramic barrels. They are available with A5 threads and I think are around $50.
Custom products classic barrels are 30$ and is quality for the price

#15 foxx0440

foxx0440

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

This is a perfectly fine stock barrel.. But if you must upgrade it.. CP one piece

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users