15 replies to this topic

#1 Scirish

Scirish

B.C Hermit Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

So I'm just getting back into tournament paintball, I played a practice last year but just went with a good friend who was getting back into it. I had a team Back from 2009 to 2011 but ended up skipping 2012 from jobs, then just kind of got shelved. I'm now moved into my new place with a job and I am getting the opportunity to practice with a PSP team here in B.C. So I'm a dedicated back player, by dedicated I mean I'm good at being a turret, but not so much in the front. But I can fill. So I'm upgrading my set up, I have my old marker but I am going to get a new one, I need a change. So whats the word on good back player marker set ups? Ie: a poppit with a 68/45 and pinokio. That sort of thing. What about pod packs, what should I be carrying on for paint, how many pods in specific. Lastly, what new drills other than the basics could I try to improve my skill. Any and all advice is welcome. Hell if you have a suggested workout plan and diet I'll even take those, although as an all-star lineman, I can handle that hardily. Thank you everyone, I hope to see some really good stuff!

Edited by Scirish, 21 December 2013 - 05:46 AM.

CBCV31.jpg

Ninja Air Owners Club | Dye Owners Club | Canadian Ballers Club

#2 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well, the good news is most markers shoot 9 pods pretty easily, it all just depends what you are looking for. I just moved from front Dorito to back due to us losing a bunch of players so I altered my equipment a bit. I purchased a 77/45 Ninja tank instead of a 68 since I shoot a Luxe and it eats air. I also purchased a Spire 260 since it holds a ton of paint and it still has a pretty low profile. Nokios are great but I did not like them for speedball, they sit a little too high for me and I'm not a huge fan of the quality. Since we're sponsored by HK Army I just got their 4+3+4 which is more than enough paint. Choose a pod pack that best fits you and thats what I'd go for. What I do during practice for myself is practice lifting by gun up quickly and accurately. I will set up targets (we have poles with squares on them at different heights) and I try and hit them. I'll do this over and over again, then when my team does breakout drills I try and use what I have just learned on moving targets (granted I play millennium so we only lane one spot for the most part). Being a prior front player I can bump and move quite easily but as a home players filling isn't too difficult. Depending on what division you play, lower div players check off that bunker or don't even focus on it if a player is shot out or not there, so you can bump in before they can react. Most divisional players (in lower divisions) shoot where you are, not where you are going to be. So you can check them off easily and move without the fear of being shot. Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions!

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#3 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

What guns didi you like before? You might like the Spire 260 for a loader, much shorter profile than a Pinokio

#4 Scirish

Scirish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Liked lots of guns,but not much the one I have. At the moment I have an 08 PMR, But I'm very active in the BST right now trying to acquire something new. I have an Inver Too for a loader, so I've got something decent to use for now until I can afford a spire.

CBCV31.jpg

#5 LegionPB

LegionPB

1st Place Verbandsliga!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Scirish, 

If you want a solid marker for a low price I can highly recommend a Bob Long G6R. It gets amazing efficiency and shoots really, really well. It's a poppet so maintenance is pretty easy and you have a wonderful company backing it up. You can get G6Rs from 400-650 depending on the year and model. I would go with a 2012+ just because it has an OLED and you can find them for $550 a lot of the times used. If you are looking for a spool valve I would look towards a Macdev Clone VX (not a VX'd, get a true VX). They shoot extremely smooth and also have really good efficiency. If you are on a budget since you are looking to revamp all of your gear, you can't go wrong with an Axe. If you watch Vicious play their home player has 11 pods on his back and I've seen him shoot them all. The Axe has to be one of the best markers for the price out there right now and may be a good idea for you since you are getting back into the swing of things :)

Kaiserslautern Legion -Captain- All American Team Ballin in Germany! (Members from the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the DoD)
Sponsored by: DXS, Oringmonkey, MAXS, HK Army
-DPL: Deutschland Paintball League & European Millenium Series-
Luxe Mob! (Reverse Poison Luxe 2.0 & Dust Black/Gloss Black 1.0 w/ ALL 2.0 Up's)
If You Haven't Already Please Like My Teams Facebook Page! http://www.facebook....tballKL?fref=ts

#6 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

G6R and Clones are the best poppet and spool markers in the pricerange in my opinion too. You cant go wrong with either one.

#7 Scirish

Scirish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. So what do you figure I should carry into the field? 11? 14? I used to carry 7 back in 2011 and i would shoot about 6, sometimes 7.

CBCV31.jpg

#8 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:01 PM

Most back players here carry 8 here unless theyre someone who shoots constantly from home and doesnt move at all. In that case 10 is the most Ive ever seen in divisional play.

#9 Scirish

Scirish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Well, I'll be practicing woth a D1 team. So i will probably end up doing a lot of shooting. As I'm led to believe that the will.be putting me at the home bunker. Regardless i will take you advice very carfully. It will be my first D1 team that I've ever been on the practice roster of so it will.be a new level of play.

CBCV31.jpg

#10 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

That you will haha! You took go big or go home home to heart!

#11 Scirish

Scirish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Well playing my hometowns equivelent of d4 and d3 just wasnt intense enough. So when moved here and they offered i didnt even think twice. Also i am used to nppl format not psp, what are the big differences i can expect?

Edited by Scirish, 22 December 2013 - 04:21 PM.

CBCV31.jpg

#12 BurningPlaydoh

BurningPlaydoh

Blow-dough'ed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Well the big one would be 5-man instead of 7, so faster games. Also faster turnaround between points.

#13 Lt. Blood

Lt. Blood

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Let's start with the run down; first what division will you be playing in. (specifics as in D4 race to 4). Pods differ depending on your division; I've seen back players go through 11 pods in a game. For a marker anything that wont break is good; I shoot a DM13 ego11 and Empire Axe; no specific preference as long as it shoots at the right bps and won't break in game. No pinnochios ever; get a rotor; spires have too many problem + pinnochio makes you a huge target. Tank you want a 68/45 at the minimum I know some players from impact who walk in with I think it was a 98/45 or 96/45. 

As for drills and practice just youtube a few drills to get warmed up (something to do with the team to get your aim on point before practice). Pod ball is mandatory before every practice (protip) you will be able to see ropes after a while and never walk into another lane again. For practice practice against OTHER TEAMS IN YOUR DIVISION; that is so important that I cannot stress it enough. Murdering walk ons won't help you in the least. Finally the most important thing is to keep healthy and stay in shape so you can last for the duration of your games.

80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that hates that shit , put this in your sig!Go ahead and throw your ions. I'll just catch them and throw em' back, except harder You may live in a 500,000 dollar house but i live in a 2 dollar box under a 6,000,000 dollar bridgeSave a rock,throw a tippmann its ok you won't be able to hurt it.put this on ur sig if u feel a need to call paintcheck........even if all you can see is orange! If you live in Panama, hit me up.

#14 Scirish

Scirish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

Let's start with the run down; first what division will you be playing in. (specifics as in D4 race to 4). Pods differ depending on your division; I've seen back players go through 11 pods in a game. For a marker anything that wont break is good; I shoot a DM13 ego11 and Empire Axe; no specific preference as long as it shoots at the right bps and won't break in game. No pinnochios ever; get a rotor; spires have too many problem + pinnochio makes you a huge target. Tank you want a 68/45 at the minimum I know some players from impact who walk in with I think it was a 98/45 or 96/45. 

As for drills and practice just youtube a few drills to get warmed up (something to do with the team to get your aim on point before practice). Pod ball is mandatory before every practice (protip) you will be able to see ropes after a while and never walk into another lane again. For practice practice against OTHER TEAMS IN YOUR DIVISION; that is so important that I cannot stress it enough. Murdering walk ons won't help you in the least. Finally the most important thing is to keep healthy and stay in shape so you can last for the duration of your games.

It's a D1 team. Not sure the exact format, but I do know how to play I just want to kind of re-light the flame in my competitive game. I played at D4 and D3 level. But my team broke up for college and I moved far out west. So this is a chance for me to get back into the tournament scene.

CBCV31.jpg

#15 Lt. Blood

Lt. Blood

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

It's a D1 team. Not sure the exact format, but I do know how to play I just want to kind of re-light the flame in my competitive game. I played at D4 and D3 level. But my team broke up for college and I moved far out west. So this is a chance for me to get back into the tournament scene.

Well that is either great or horrid. If they are a real D1 team that practices regularly they should know how to practice and you'll get right back into paintball. The issue is if it's another D5-D3 level team that thinks they are good due to beating walk ons at their local field you are going to have a horrid practice run. Ensure the team is at the level of D1 not just claiming to be D1 for the sake of D1.

80% of teens listen to Hip-Hop, if you're part of the 20% that hates that shit , put this in your sig!Go ahead and throw your ions. I'll just catch them and throw em' back, except harder You may live in a 500,000 dollar house but i live in a 2 dollar box under a 6,000,000 dollar bridgeSave a rock,throw a tippmann its ok you won't be able to hurt it.put this on ur sig if u feel a need to call paintcheck........even if all you can see is orange! If you live in Panama, hit me up.

#16 Scirish

Scirish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

Well that is either great or horrid. If they are a real D1 team that practices regularly they should know how to practice and you'll get right back into paintball. The issue is if it's another D5-D3 level team that thinks they are good due to beating walk ons at their local field you are going to have a horrid practice run. Ensure the team is at the level of D1 not just claiming to be D1 for the sake of D1.

No, they're a real team. They're the Prince George Timberwolves. They're the only real speedball team in Northern B.C.

CBCV31.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users